Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

New Hogan PTx Irons- New Pic!

deejaid

Did Hogan steal the club name "apex" from Callaway? Or is it the other way around?, Cally has had the apex and Apex pro line for a few years now. Just curious. Sine I would think there would be a copyright on a club name.

Apex was an original Hogan brand name -- dating back to the 70's, I believe...

Callaway bought Hogan in the early 2000's -- they sold the brand name to Perry Ellis a few years ago, but apparently kept the Apex trademark.  

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FYI, new info about hogans latest clubs up on their website right now

http://www.benhogangolf.com

Nice looking hybrids. I've never games hybrids in my life so don't know personally how these differ from other hybrids all ready on the market.

Bring on the PTx irons!

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Did Hogan steal the club name "apex" from Callaway? Or is it the other way around?, Cally has had the apex and Apex pro line for a few years now. Just curious. Sine I would think there would be a copyright on a club name.

apex was originally a Hogan set but Callaway bought the Hogan company in 2004 and kept the rights to the apex name. So originally it was Hogan but now it's Callaway.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Apex was an original Hogan brand name -- dating back to the 70's, I believe...

Callaway bought Hogan in the early 2000's -- they sold the brand name to Perry Ellis a few years ago, but apparently kept the Apex trademark.

I wondered because I kept seeing both companies with same club names, and I thought it was kind of weird

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Good old copyright shuffling.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

The new PTx irons, driving iron and Hybrids are not yet on the website.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

The new PTx irons, driving iron and Hybrids are not yet on the website.

Hybrids are there -- the rest will probably come out in drips and drabs. Hogan has a habit of posting stuff in the days leading up to the PGA show.  Last year the irons and wedges went up a few days before the show, and Hoganfit went up while I was heading to the airport to fly down...

Click here for the Hybrids page

Very anxious to see the PTx.  Heard from the guys at Hogan that the name is a throwback to the original Hogan company...the PT was the first model in which Hogan started changing the mass weight of the irons for more forgiveness.  The x refers to the loft of the club, as we all know by now, each lift is different.

At least that's what my guy at Hogan says...

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Thanks Barbajo,  I really like the "V Sole" on the hybrids.......

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Nice looking hybrids. I've never games hybrids in my life so don't know personally how these differ from other hybrids all ready on the market.

Bring on the PTx irons!

I click this thread once a day to look at those irons. I still have to convince my skeptical spouse that these irons are a necessary expense but I dream about them every day. I also want the TK wedges and maybe a hybrid. Sigh* the hope still lives and the dreams shall never die

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

I click this thread once a day to look at those irons. I still have to convince my skeptical spouse that these irons are a necessary expense but I dream about them every day. I also want the TK wedges and maybe a hybrid. Sigh* the hope still lives and the dreams shall never die

I think the old Jesuit principle may apply here -- it's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission.  You may get that forgiveness in divorce court, but that's another discussion.   :rolleyes:

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I think the old Jesuit principle may apply here -- it's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission.  You may get that forgiveness in divorce court, but that's another discussion.   :rolleyes:

As long as I get to keep the clubs...

FYI, there is a new PTx blog post from Hogan on their website

http://www.benhogangolf.com/Blog/ArticleID/69/Introducing-the-PTx

and a new pic with more information.

29PTx_box.jpg

It was posted yesterday! How could I have missed it!

The PTx use titanium much like the Mizuno MP-15 but it looks way better. Looks like they have a more detailed description of how they made the irons here but you need a log in. Any one else figure it out?

http://www.benhogangolf.com/AdminLogin?returnurl=%2fptx

Oh. My. God.

Man would I love to compare these beauties side by side to the FT Worth's.... Those look stunning.

I'm so curious what the pure distance numbers would look like between the two heads. And forgiveness comparisons. A combo set of these in 25/29/33 and the FT Worth would be bliss. Man. And then the Hybrids?!

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Full PTx write up online now

http://www.benhogangolf.com/ptx

PTx_Banner_01.jpg

PTxSittingDown_box.jpg

PTx_VSoleBox_1.jpg

Hi_Inside_1.jpg

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that BH screwed up their webpage (as of 0900 Jan 25, 2016). This looks like an early draft of the page. The titles don't even match up with the textual descriptions. It talks about FT. Worth 15 hi and not the PTx. Unless I am mistaken, the original announcement email said that PTx and FT.W 15hi were two separate club lines. Their original blog post implies that as well. I will also say that the images for the FT.W15hi in the original announcement do not look like the back of these supposed "PTx". Maybe I should just calm down.

9bad73b2-6d34-4e1b-9d8b-e224b54ccd9e.jpg

The pics of the clubs look great. But you may be right about the website, the link isn't working.

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

The pics of the clubs look great. But you may be right about the website, the link isn't working.

I think they fix some things now. I really like how they are steering clear of thinner hot faces. I would love to demo a set of these. One of my top choices for a new set this year

Got the press release from Hogan on the new PTx irons.  Looks like they're starting the new line at 32 degrees and working up. For lower lofts they're going to include the hollow-body Fli irons.  Very anxious to see these this week...

Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Introduces PTx Irons

Pure forged irons that deliver unbelievable feel, unmatched distance, consistency and more spin and greenside performance than any other game improvement iron

FORT WORTH, TEXAS, January 25, 2016 – Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Company announces the introduction of the PTx game improvement irons, engineered with an industry leading 7-step co-forging process that provides enhanced performance and feel over traditional thin faced cavity back irons.  In lofts of 32 degrees and up, the patent pending PTx irons feature an industry-first titanium core solid forged design.

“The industry trend in game-improvement irons is to cast them,” said Terry Koehler, President/CEO of the Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Company.  “As well as using multiple pieces and synthetic ‘badges' to mask the harsh feel and sound of these kind of irons.  Very simply, it is cheaper to do it that way.  But we have taken a completely different approach that is true to the principles Mr. Hogan gave us with regard to forged irons.  He strongly believed that only a true forging could deliver the feel and performance better golf requires.”

PTx_29_41.jpg

“With the PTx irons, our goal was to design the best performing clubs we could for the mid-handicap player without the constraints of cost,” added Koehler. “With this approach we are able to deliver the amazing feel of a forged players iron with the forgiveness of a game improvement iron.”

Revolutionary Forged Design:

Forged 1025 Carbon Steel multi-material design delivers superior performance and feel over traditional thin face cavity back irons. Two more forging steps than a traditional forged iron allows the PTx to “put more horsepower under the hood” as Koehler explained.

PTx_Single.jpg

Optimum blended set of game improvement irons (20*- 47*)

Multi-material forged hollow irons (20*- 31*)

‒        Hollow construction delivers increased ball speeds across the face

‒        17g tungsten toe weight lowers the center of gravity and aligns the CG in line with the center of the face for increased launch angle and maximum energy transfer.

Multi-material forged scoring irons (32*- 47*)

‒        Industry-first co-forged construction positions mass behind the “impact zone” for more consistent shot dispersion across the face.

‒        Titanium is forged inside the 1025 carbon steel body to distribute mass higher and more consistently across the face of the golf club for a more penetrating ball flight without sacrificing feel or forgiveness.

‒        Ideal weighting design delivers consistent CG height throughout the set of irons.  No other iron on the market achieves this goal.

PTx_VSOLE.jpg

Progressive Weighting:

·         Classic Hogan sweeping back design positions more mass towards the toe to help align the CG with the center face for increased ball speeds and better feel

·         Lower CG height on long irons for increased launch and higher CG height on short irons for more penetrating ball flight resulting in linear CG positioning  throughout the set

·         Co-forged titanium (42-55g) moves a precise amount of clubhead mass high and to the perimeter without sacrificing the solid feel traditionally found in a thicker faced forged head

·         Variable face design

·         Tungsten toe weight in lower lofts creates stability for off center hits

·         Forged multi-material design allows for individualized iron design dialing in performance characteristics for optimum launch and spin

·         1025 carbon steel forging producing a new standard in for feel and performance

·         Available in one degree increments from 20*-47* (28 lofts)

V Sole Design:

As with all new clubs from Ben Hogan Golf Equipment, the PTx irons feature Hogan's V Sole design, the industry's most versatile sole design that combines the advantages of both high and low bounce to handle any lie, any swing type. The visible V-shaped sole delivers greater versatility and better shot-making from a multitude of lies.  The high bounce leading section prevents digging in soft turf or with steeper swing paths while the low bounce main sole provides tight-lie playability and shallow path accommodation. This V Sole compliments the progressive weighting system utilized in the PTx irons to deliver optimum trajectories and spin sought by players of all skill levels.

Precise Loft System:

With the Precise Loft System from Ben Hogan Golf Equipment, irons are built to exact lofts to let golfers know exactly what they are hitting.  With 44 loft options available, a set of PTx irons can be crafted to one of four distinct launch profiles, a customization level no other iron on the market can offer.  This allows Ben Hogan to consistently provide the most accurately custom-matched set of irons in golf.  Another advantage of the Ben Hogan PreciseLoftâ„¢ system is that it ‘decompresses' the lofts at the long end of the set, so that one less mid- to long-iron is required to cover the typical range of a set of irons, which saves golfers frustration and money.

“It really is the best of both worlds,” adds Koehler. “The PTx irons prove that golfers who prefer a game improvement design do not have to settle for lower grade iron sets.  This technology allows us to deliver to any golfer the forgiveness of a game improvement iron without sacrificing traditional looks and feel.  We feel quite certain this is just the way Mr. Hogan would have wanted it.”

Options and Pricing

The PTx irons will begin shipping in April 2016. Irons built with the standard KBS Tour V or KBS Tour 90 steel shafts will retail for $169 per club. The standard graphite shaft offering is the UST Mamiya Recoil, at a retail price of $184 per club. The company also offers an extensive selection of custom shafts and grip options. 

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Got the press release from Hogan on the new PTx irons.  Looks like they're starting the new line at 32 degrees and working up. For lower lofts they're going to include the hollow-body Fli irons.  Very anxious to see these this week...

Thank you very much for the update Barbajo. Are you saying they are dropping the whole FT. WORTH 15-hi designation they indicated in their original press release and making PTx their sole GI line? It does make complete sense after learning that

Like those new pics. Call me crazy but I'm starting to think these look really similar to my Nike vapor pro combos. Maybe Nike designed the set with the old Hogans in mind or I'm just seeing things. I can't say anything about performance comparisons till I hit them obviously but physically they look similar to me

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Thank you very much for the update Barbajo. Are you saying they are dropping the whole FT. WORTH 15-hi designation they indicated in their original press release and making PTx their sole GI line? It does make complete sense after learning that

That's a good question -- I don't know, but will surmise you can use the Fli's in a progressive set for either the PTx or the Ft Worth 15's. That'll be one of the first questions I'll ask on Wednesday afternoon.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Like those new pics. Call me crazy but I'm starting to think these look really similar to my Nike vapor pro combos. Maybe Nike designed the set with the old Hogans in mind or I'm just seeing things. I can't say anything about performance comparisons till I hit them obviously but physically they look similar to me

There's an interesting observation Ethan...when we visited NIke last year in Fort Worth they staked a legitimate claim to being the heir to the original Hogan Company - one of the reasons Nike Golf set up shop in the Forth Worth was they were able to round up many employees from the old Hogan, specifically Mike Taylor.  Mike worked at Hogan as a club designer and maker and Nike was able to scoop him up.

One of the Nike guys I met last year said one of the main reasons Rory signed with Nike was that they had Taylor. Oh, there were several million other reasons, but Taylor was one of them...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I'm not really seeing what Ethan sees in these new Hogan irons. I'm seeing a retro Hogan iron of days past. Can't say which old Hogan's those might be but something. These PTx are nice looking. Kind of liking the little medallion on them.

Edit: Ouch! Like Kenny those babies are expensive. I didn't pay that for my custom Wishon 771's with Aerotech shafts. Of course I'm totally biased. You'd have to pry my Wishon's from my cold dead fingers.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

There's an interesting observation Ethan...when we visited NIke last year in Fort Worth they staked a legitimate claim to being the heir to the original Hogan Company - one of the reasons Nike Golf set up shop in the Forth Worth was they were able to round up many employees from the old Hogan, specifically Mike Taylor.  Mike worked at Hogan as a club designer and maker and Nike was able to scoop him up.

One of the Nike guys I met last year said one of the main reasons Rory signed with Nike was that they had Taylor. Oh, there were several million other reasons, but Taylor was one of them...

There is nothing "Hoganesque" about the Nike clubs.....

There is nothing "Hoganesque" about the Nike clubs.....

I don't see it either, unless it's the fact that a hunk of metal is oddly stuck on the end of a steel shaft.    :lol:

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453826236.089104.jpg

I agree with you Ethan. They look similar to the spilt cavity Nike's to me

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

the more i look at thiese, the more i like them. Still like the FW15s  better, but these are growing on me. 

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

I would love to test side by side with the Ft. Worths!

How cool would that be? I really like that Hogan is moving into an iron line instead of just one model. I think that is a much better long term business model.

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Archived