Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Most important part of YOUR game?

EthanSterlingPrice

^^^ Seems like she knows her game and is not afraid to take a risk-- I like that! And the part you described about laying up on a par 4 with no bailout area is exactly what I am talking about with the course design. We have quite a few courses here that I feel are not designed to be fair to the average recreational golfer

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

^^^ Seems like she knows her game and is not afraid to take a risk-- I like that! And the part you described about laying up on a par 4 with no bailout area is exactly what I am talking about with the course design. We have quite a few courses here that I feel are not designed to be fair to the average recreational golfer

There's one like that at my home course. It turns into a 3 shot par 5. The second shot from the whites even after a 250 yard drive is 230 and from 190-210. the average golfer has no choice but to hit a lay up. Even a shorter 10 digit handicap has no chance at that distance. I like a hole that has multiple ways of attacking it and choosing to be aggressive or be the hero.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Case in point... a course my wife and I played a course in Oregon a few years ago; the name escapes me.  My wife is a good straight hitter, but not overly long (Hey! She just turned 60).  She's playing the forward tees, and her average driver distance is 160ish.  A creek runs all the way across the fairway on this Par 4 at (you guessed it... 160 from the tee).  So, she lays up with her 3W off the tee.  The problem is her second shot over the creek to the green is 160 yards!  She can't get there unless she tees it up in the fairway and hits driver.  Clearly, the golf course designer said: "Golfers hitting from the forward tees should be able to hit the ball 175, right?"

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

My tee shots, for me when I score play well it comes down to GIRs. To hit those greens I have to keep the ball play. If I can do that "normally" everything else falls into to place. Of course, there are those rounds where I couldn't hit a barn door from 20 yards.

I have a revolving WITB policy.

For me, the difference between a really good day and any other day is my iron play.  I drive the ball reasonable straight, and a decent distance.  My putting and short game are usually decent, sometimes real good.  The key to having a really solid round for me is hitting my irons consistently on the green, and leaving at least a few decent birdie putts.  

Taking the question a different way, the most important part of my game in staying at the general level I'm at is driving.  I hit solid drives in or near the fairway pretty consistently, and its hard to make really bad scores after a good drive.  

Putting can occasionally save a bad ball-striking round, or make a so-so round into a good one, but its hard to save more than a couple of strokes on the green.  Its easy to LOSE six or eight if the driver starts going off the golf course.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

For me, the difference between a really good day and any other day is my iron play. I drive the ball reasonable straight, and a decent distance. My putting and short game are usually decent, sometimes real good. The key to having a really solid round for me is hitting my irons consistently on the green, and leaving at least a few decent birdie putts.

Taking the question a different way, the most important part of my game in staying at the general level I'm at is driving. I hit solid drives in or near the fairway pretty consistently, and its hard to make really bad scores after a good drive.

Putting can occasionally save a bad ball-striking round, or make a so-so round into a good one, but its hard to save more than a couple of strokes on the green. Its easy to LOSE six or eight if the driver starts going off the golf course.

very good answer, I think that's about the same as me. If I hit greens that takes a ton of pressure off the rest of my game.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Archived