Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

I feel like I'm cheating

TheWahoo

I am in a senior association where I maintain a handicap index.   But outside of that association, most of the time I am playing with younger bucks.  While I should be playing the senior tees, if I am the only one doing so, I am just not comfortable and typically play from the regular tees with the younger folks.  With the senior association, I am on my honor to post all my scores.  

Here's my problem.   Typically, when one enters their index into the course computer, the handicap difference between the regular and senior tees is typically one to two strokes.  However, based on the characteristics of my game, I find that the difference is typically four, maybe five strokes.  I think a lot has to do with distance.  I can reach the typical Par 4 in two shots from the senior tees, but most Par 4s from the regular tees are personal Par 5s for me.   Its the difference between putting my 3rd shot versus a 20 to 30 yard chip using the regular tees.  

While about half of my postings are from the regular tees, I follow the association rules and post all my scores.  But I also think, for the reason stated above, that such postings inflate my index from the senior tees used by the senior association.   While I know that I have followed the rules, post all my scores honestly as required, knowing that the handicap system doesn't really reflect my game regarding tees, I sometimes feel like I'm cheating by posting scores from the regular tees.  Any advice?

Also, stroke equity mandates that I post no score higher than a 7.  But it doesn't matter if such is a par 3 or a par 5, that makes no sense to me as well.

You've committed no crimes. If anything I'd suggest always playing from the senior tees that way your handicap is more reflective of a steady trend. I'm a big believer in playing the appropriate tees for your skill level and distance. When I have to play more forward tees than my group I try to get a solo cart. If I can't do that I just try to always be ready to tee off once the folks at the back tees are done. Doesn't slow down play one bit and makes the round more competitive and enjoyable.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Max LS with Autoflex X-stiff 

3-Wood: :ping-small: 425 Max w/ KBS TD 60

Irons: :taylormade-small:P790 w/ X-stiff True Temper DG 105

Hybrids::taylormade-small: DHY Utility Irons 4 & 5

Wedges::taylormade-small: MG3 w/ KBS Black Wedge Shaft (50, 54,58)

Putter: Cure RX5 w/ P2 React Grip

When it became impossible for me to reach several par 4's in regulation because of lack of distance I simply have moved up to the senior tees no matter what others think.   It is more fun for me and that really is why we play isn't it?

A couple of months ago I played at ole gray's course and one of the guys in the group was complaining about me playing up.  He did not say anything directly to me but it aggravated his playing partner and he mentioned it to me.  I simply told him that I don't gamble and asked would you rather me shoot somewhere between 78 and 85 or somewhere between 88 and 95? He actually had no problem with me playing up,  it would slow the group down and not be fun for me or them.   By the way, I have degenerative arthritis in my lower two vertebrae and have to take pain pills to play, my next birthday is the big 7-0. 

Play the appropriate tees is my advice.

Driver -  :callaway-small:   Rogue ST Max
Woods - :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -   :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                       

Wedges - :cleveland-small:  Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                               

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2
Rangefinder - :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX-10 Slope
Ball -  :vice: Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                           

Bag -  :tour-edge: Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

Played a few of our top state courses with our traveling group last year.Some of the young and adventurous of the group played from the extreme back tees.They battled 260 par 3's/450 plus par 4's etc all day.I played the upper tees by the seniors and had a fair and fun go at it.They kinda mocked me that I broke 80 each day from

The lady tees in their opinion.After we added up their two day totals they told us they will be joining us on the upper tees this year.Golf is such a great game.Play where you feel comfortable.For me par 4 approaches and par 3's should never exceed a 5 iron or more.When this happens I will move up every time to accommodate this

Keep it in the short stuff

When it became impossible for me to reach several par 4's in regulation because of lack of distance I simply have moved up to the senior tees no matter what others think. It is more fun for me and that really is why we play isn't it?

A couple of months ago I played at ole gray's course and one of the guys in the group was complaining about me playing up. He did not say anything directly to me but it aggravated his playing partner and he mentioned it to me. I simply told him that I don't gamble and asked would you rather me shoot somewhere between 78 and 85 or somewhere between 88 and 95? He actually had no problem with me playing up, it would slow the group down and not be fun for me or them. By the way, I have degenerative arthritis in my lower two vertebrae and have to take pain pills to play, my next birthday is the big 7-0.

Play the appropriate tees is my advice.

I won last week at Monroe CC and a couple of the guys gave me hell for playing the senior tees. I thought it was agreed upon however apparently not. I offered to refund my meager $35.00 bucks winnings but they refused. I'm stuck on the white (members tees) until I turn 70. well unless I choose not to play in the blitz .

Actually our course rule for seniors is move up at 75 . At least our blitz group has set 70 as time to play the seniors.

The problem I have with waiting is I have had three surgeries on my right knee with two of them being major! My right leg is two inches shorter than my left. A bit of a balance and weight shift problem to say the least ...

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I moved up about 1 1/2 years ago and really have not looked back.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Wahoo. You have followed the rules. You have nothing to feel guilty about. As they say, "hate the game, not the player" lol

But you should also play the tees you feel will give you the most enjoyment of that round. If you feel playing the whites allows you to enjoy the social aspect more so than riding up to the gold by yourself, and your happy with how you play and aren't holding thing up (which you aren't having played with you many times) then play the white.

@Oleagray 70 for the senior tees? really? I just hope I'm alive and walking at 70. Ha

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

You're not doing anything wrong at all. Your handicap is based on the tees played that day.

However what many people miss is that there is an equalizing formula for players going off of different tees that is a bit more complex than simply taking differentials and applying them to the differing tees. If everyone is on the same tees it's no big deal but many leagues move guys up as described here. Invariably the players moving up have a huge advantage because the handicaps have not been properly adjusted.

That however would not be your fault. You are properly maintaining your handicap.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

TheWahoo:

Not wrongdoing on your part at all. If it will make you feel better, next time we play I'll move up to the senior tees with you ;)

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

You're not doing anything wrong at all. Your handicap is based on the tees played that day.

However what many people miss is that there is an equalizing formula for players going off of different tees that is a bit more complex than simply taking differentials and applying them to the differing tees. If everyone is on the same tees it's no big deal but many leagues move guys up as described here. Invariably the players moving up have a huge advantage because the handicaps have not been properly adjusted.

That however would not be your fault. You are properly maintaining your handicap.

What Rev said!!  Here's the link to how you compete against players on different tees.

https://www.usga.org/HandicapFAQ/handicap_answer.asp?FAQidx=6

It sounds like we are very similar not knowing what yardages you are playing from.  I am still playing from the regular tees and depending on the wind, there are a couple of par 4's that I will fall short, but it doesn't bother me.  Makes me work on my short game.  I do have one par 3 that is typically 200y and it can be a bear because it is usually into the wind.

The guys I walk with are all older than I am, and that's where they like to play.  BTW way, I turn the big 7-0 on Sunday!  I have played from the senior tees and it is certainly different, but only on about 5 holes.  I can't play from there because my wife plays there occasionally... macho thing!

The club has a tournament coming up next weekend where guys will be teeing from either the regular tees of the senior tees.  The local rule for playing from the senior tees is your age + your HCP must be 90 or greater.  That is another reason why I don't move up.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

The course I usually play doesn't have forward tees. Well I guess they do, but not designated "senior" tees. But when I play with my father in law, he plays up forward on his course and I join him. It's fine with me, and heck it's fun too!

Your not doing anything wrong. If anyone whines too freakin bad.

I moved from the blues to the white tees 1 year ago and glad I did. We got to be over 70 and that's the way it goes. See what happens when the "young bucks" get in their 70's, bet they move down.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

This might sound weird, but a lot of older people play most of the courses around me, and so if I am put with a group of seniors I just play off their tee with them. I usually do worse since I am not used to it from there. I am 36 and shoot around 90.

This might sound weird, but a lot of older people play most of the courses around me, and so if I am put with a group of seniors I just play off their tee with them. I usually do worse since I am not used to it from there. I am 36 and shoot around 90.

Carolina Golfer 2 and I did an experiment and moved up to the red tees one day to see if we could really score better. Let's just say it was ugly as we kept on hitting into hazards we normally would be short of and pulled clubs like we were still playing the blues.

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

Carolina Golfer 2 and I did an experiment and moved up to the red tees one day to see if we could really score better. Let's just say it was ugly as we kept on hitting into hazards we normally would be short of and pulled clubs like we were still playing the blues.

MDGolfHacker

It's a whole different game from there... strategy is involved.   ;)

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

It's a whole different game from there... strategy is involved. ;)

Ha ha ha... What is this "course management / strategy" that you talk of? ;)

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

I want to thank everyone that responded to my posting, I genuinely appreciate your comments.   Yes, I know that in reality I should just play from the senior tees regardless of where my buds may be playing.   However, as my good bud, Carolina, noted there is the social aspect of playing with my buds.   That social factor is just as important, if not more, to me than what ends up on my scorecard.   Accordingly, while I know it is strictly on me, so to speak, I am just not comfortable being the only one playing from the up tees.   Knowing that each day, I am getting even older (hopefully), tee selection is something on which I must address personally and face reality.  

I want to thank everyone that responded to my posting, I genuinely appreciate your comments. Yes, I know that in reality I should just play from the senior tees regardless of where my buds may be playing. However, as my good bud, Carolina, noted there is the social aspect of playing with my buds. That social factor is just as important, if not more, to me than what ends up on my scorecard. Accordingly, while I know it is strictly on me, so to speak, I am just not comfortable being the only one playing from the up tees. Knowing that each day, I am getting even older (hopefully), tee selection is something on which I must address personally and face reality.

Choices are there and we have to decide what's more fun. Sure I could play the senior tees however being only 66 years old & playing for money,,, my co players would frown on it.

Now if I chose not to play in the blitz, they could give a rats arse where I tee it up. I choose to play in the blitz so I play by their rules.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Archived