OFFICIAL FORUM MEMBER REVIEW - COBRA F7/F7+ Drivers

Official Forum Member Review

Cobra F7.png

Cobra F7/F7+ Drivers

DawgDaddy        Stage 1               Stage 2              Stage 3

Drewneddy         Stage 1               Stage 2              Stage 3

Cobra Website

• Like 2

Welcome to my Stage 2 thoughts, findings, speculations and ramblings on my testing of the Cobra King F7 driver. I have had the driver on the course at least 3 times per week (except this week, as we spent Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday at Daytona Beach). I have had several folks hit it with mixed results, as you might expect. I don't live close enough to any shops with a golf monitor to give any real numbers but I will do my best to give you real observations.

Currently in my bag I have as my driver the Callaway Great Big Bertha 10.5° set to 12.5°, Callaway Big Bertha V-series 3 W and Heaven wood, a Callaway X2 Hot 4H, TaylorMade SpeedBlade Irons and TaylorMade ATV Wedges, Odyssey Works 2 Ball Lined Fang Putter. I have done all of my testing with either a Bridgestone 300-RX or a Callaway Chrome Truvis ball. I really do not see a lot of difference in performance and I personally think the Truvis is pretty cool. So my on course testing has been done with those two balls.

All of my testing has been on the course, as I explained before with my bad back I really am unable to practice any more because of the standing in one place for a while really aggravates my back right now. I have a Garmin G8 to compare distances of drives between the Great Big Bertha and the F7. Also I always play 2 extra wraps under my grip and with the Arccos installed I cannot change out the grip without losing the Arccos. Again I am pointing out that I recently changed to a senior flex shaft, again because of my back and I don't feel I am comparing apples to apples because of this.

I am finding that I am longer with the GBB and pretty much the same as far as fairways hit and ability to make the ball draw or fade with either driver. I do really like the look at address and the overall looks of the F7. Because it is slightly shorter (driving distance, not length) I tend to over swing at times trying to get a few more yards, that leads to either a pull by coming slightly over the top or a hook by really trying to add speed with my hands. Not the drivers fault but mine in trying too hard to get that extra umph. Loss of distance on mishits seems minimal and sometimes I wonder if I really lost any distance at all on the mishit.

IMG_1427_zps3yyk7kzh.jpg

Performance at the Range

• Because I am currently unable to put in range time I will move the 10 points for this section to the on the course section.

Performance on the Course

• Accuracy – I have found the accuracy to be on par with any driver out there, I am averaging 10.8 of 14 fairways with this driver, I like that! As most folks who have played with me will tell you I don't miss a lot of fairways and would probably be hitting over 11 of 14 were it not for the over swinging when trying for more distance.

• Distance – As I stated above, I recently switched to a senior flex and started getting back a little distance. With the F7 regular flex driver I only average 205, with my current driver I am averaging 214. Not a big difference, but as I age it is a huge difference.

• Consistency – I have found this driver to be as accurate as any I have ever played as long as I keep my tempo and do not over swing. I would deem it a fairway finder.

• Shot Shaping – I have been able to draw or fade the ball on the holes that favor those shots. I set the driver to 12° and therefore I know the face is closed but by golly it does not look to be closed at all. I like that.

• Carry vs Roll – I have a mid high ball flight with the driver and consequently get a shorter carry but lots of roll. My primary course is Lake Jonesco and it is a relatively flat course that makes roll a great asset, especially roll in the fairway. As I mentioned in the first bullet point this driver is very accurate.

Course Score: 32 Out of 40 points

IMG_1389_zpsnzrtivoy.jpg

Performance Notes

• How did it perform? For me as it is configured it performs good but I cannot say great. I believe with a proper fitting this club could move to great.

• Were you pleased with how the club(s) performed? Pleased and disappointed at the same time, accuracy is as good as it gets, distance is lacking. Proper fitting, proper fitting, proper fitting!

• Please compare and contrast it to what you are currently playing? The F7 is much more appealing to my eye than the clunky looking head of the GBB, I actually am a huge fan of the looks. My GBB as configured is every bit the equal to the F7 in accuracy and longer off the tee.

• What factors were you pleased with? Again, I love the looks and accuracy. This club looks like it is made to grip it and rip it. Confidence cannot be overrated in that department IMO.

• How did it compare to your current gamer(s)? Certainly the F7 has a more aesthetically pleasing look. Even though some will love the Arccos I find that I had rather track distance with my Garmin G8, I am not a stats junkie.

• Did you notice better production on the range or on the course more? On the course was actually all I could do, my back has really been painful for the past 3 months and I can't stand long. I can only play because I sit between shots and never stand more than 3 or 4 minutes for the putts.

• What factors did you find lacking? While Cobra has many options for those purchasing the F7 I would really have loved to have a proper fitting grip and flex shaft. I feel that I could do a better job evaluating what this driver can actually do for a golfer.

• What improvements would you like to see? Cobra seems to have everything going on right now, adjustable weights, lofts, light shaft, light head and shaft choices not to mention Arccos. That is innovation in my book.

• What would you do away with? I am not too sure the public will let them do away with anything for a while at least. The novelty of having Arccos built in may wear off but even though I am not a huge fan, I think it will last for a while at least.

Subjective Looks

Describe the following:

• General shape. The head is the classic rounded 460 cc head, nothing pointy, or looking out of place, great look. Very clean and pleasing to the eye.

• Offset. There is no drastic offset to this driver, it really looks square at address to me.

• Graphics. Subtle graphics of the head and shaft add to rather than distract from.

• Other unique details. Arccos is as unique as it gets, no other company is using it.

• How does it come together visually? Eye pleasing and confidence building, as good as it gets.

• How does it compare to other products in its category? In this day and age I feel that there is a driver for every golfer, they just need to find “the one”. The Cobra F7 will be that driver for many.

Looks Score: 18 Out of 20 points

IMG_1428_zpsewumy2sx.jpg

Sound and Feel

Describe how the product sounds and feels

• Is it soft, crisp, dull, clunky (feel free to use your own imaginative phrases)? I would say the sound is high pitched but not tinny. Pleasing not irritating.

• Does it feel consistent across the face, or are mis-hits noticeably pronounced? Even though you can feel mishits they are not harsh, and you can tell if you were high, low, toward the heel or toe. The distance loss was not particularly penal, pretty close to a good drive most times.

• Compare to your best/worst feel and sound experiences? The feel was close to excellent if not quite there. I am not a sound freak as I don't have great hearing anyway, I find the sound non irritating and that is all I ever want from my driver.

Sound and Feel Score: 16 Out of 20 points

Likelihood of Purchase

How likely would you be to purchase this product? At this time I can say I would not purchase the F7.

• Why or why not? I enjoyed the F7 but not being a stats guy I don't need the Arccos feature. My current driver is performing as well as I can expect at this stage of my life. The only way I would purchase the F7 is if my current gamer broke and I was fitted to the F7 with the proper shaft and grip. I still think it to be a solid driver even though I would not purchase one right now.

LOP Score: 4 Out of 20 points

Subjective Notes

One of the things everyone looking at the new F7 is curious about is the Arccos feature. Personally I did not find the app as user friendly as I would have liked. As an example, the day I went up to play a round with ole gray, we fired up the app and it would not recognize the course. I cut it on and off a few times before finally manually typing in the course name. Not a biggie but the course it was pulling up was some 10 miles away, That's a pretty big miss. The app is supposed to give you a cue that the Driver is ready to let you know you can go ahead and hit your drive then drive to it and hit your second shot to record your driver distance. It only gave the driver ready prompt twice in 5 holes and only recorded one drive. That is an example, I have never completed a round with it as it sometimes won't let me input scores or come off the scorecard after putting in the score. Not sure if I need to delete the app and download again or what. I think I will try that before the stage 3 write up and update y'all on it then.

Conclusion

I truly believe this driver is a great product, I also believe that anyone wanting to purchase it should be fit. With 8 shaft choices they can dial a person into a bombing machine. If you have an itch to try Arccos this is a great way to do it without spending any extra money on the entire kit. I wanted to love it but the shaft and grip issues would not allow that to happen. However I do have a degree of fondness for this driver because of the innovation that Cobra has packed into it. I would recommend it to be on the short list of everyone looking for a new driver.

IMG_1392_zpsfmk9wlgl.jpg

Total Score: My total score is 70 Out of 100 points. 

• Like 5

Stage Three - The Follow Up & Value Question.

The Five Questions

1. Will this product go in your bag? Why or why not?

Not at this time, I need a larger grip and weaker flex. I can order the grip for the Arccos and the shaft adapter from Cobra, so I will most likely be ordering each so as to put a different shaft in combination with this head. I still love the clean look of the head and have hit some great drives with it but I just am not as consistent with it as I feel I can be.

2. To whom, if anyone, would you recommend this product? Why?

I truly would recommend this to anyone considering a new driver this season. I believe in being fit for your clubs and this one should be on your list, especially if you are a stats geek or even in need of a golf GPS. Arccos is still some what buggy for me when I am at remote courses but it is a fun addition when it is working as intended. This driver as configured is not quite right for me but with a few tweeks I believe it could be as good as any of the others I have hit or played.

3. How, if at all, did this product change your overall impression of Cobra?

I have been playing golf for a few decades, in all of that time I have only owned a set of Cobra S2 irons. I liked them but was not fit for them. After playing them for 6 months I went to a professional fitter and he told me that I did not need to ever play a SGI iron so I sold them and have not looked at a Cobra product ever again until this testing. This F7 driver has certainly piqued my interest in Cobra products. I do plan to do the shaft and grip changes to see what this driver will actually do for my game.

4. What feature would you change or eliminate from the next generation of this model?

As far as the current offering I cannot think of anything that should change other than the usual

R&D all companies are involved in. I think the Arccos feature is pretty neat but it still has some

bugs interfacing with the app. I really like the looks of the head shape and size plus the

graphics on both the head and shaft. I like the weights in the bottom, I wish I had a weight kit

with different weights to tinker around with. Sometimes that can lead to a good club becoming

a great club.

5. What feature do you really like, and would most like to see continued or evolved in future models?

I love the idea of incorporating Arccos into the grip, I also like that you can order a replacement

from Cobra that allows you to change the Arccos unit when you change grips. My only thing is

I wish the interface with the app was better, not sure how that will happen but it was a

disappointment to try to show it to friends and it totally not do what it was supposed to.

A huge thank you again to Cobra Golf and MSG for this testing opportunity.  I plan to check in to answer any questions everyone might have to the best of my ability.   Thanks to everyone for reading along and good luck to those who have purchased the F7 and F7+.

• Like 3

The Five Questions

Will this product go in your bag? Why or why not?

Yes, this driver will absolutely go in my bag. Backtracking to my stage 2 for a moment, I originally felt like the ball was falling out of the air and I was not receiving maximum distance. I even received comments from my playing partners. So in an effort to max my distance out and join the 300 yd club, I went to my local fitter for some numbers. With the insert of the HZRDUS yellow 65g stiff shaft it changed my entire ball flight from a draw to a baby cut. My spin numbers went down below 3,000 rpms where they were > 3,500 before with the stock shaft. My carry distance was averaging about 290 yds. I have never hit the ball further. This club and shaft will be in my bag for the foreseeable future.

To whom, if anyone, would you recommend this product? Why?

I would recommend this driver to anyone serious about distance. The clubface is hot and the acoustics are awesome! The look of the clubhead from the top is pretty. But my main recommendation is to get fit and try several head and shaft combos. Let the professionals tell you what the best driver is for you. You’re already spending > $400 purchasing a new driver – do it right and get fit! It’s a small investment in your game.

How, if at all, did this product change your overall impression of Cobra?

This testing did not change my impression of Cobra at all. I have played Cobra drivers in college and still carry two hybrids. If anything it validated that they are still a serious player in the game. All year the noise was M1 vs Epic. This Cobra F7+ model is a serious contender. The MGS review earlier had the new Srixon listed as top driver. There are a lot of good brands out there that make quality equipment. Find the brand that fits you best. This driver fits my feel and accuracy needs. It is the driver for me, but only after some tinkering and a total shaft change. The two words I associate with the Cobra brand are “long” and “quality.” The F7+ driver met my expectations and my needs for my golf game.

What feature would you change or eliminate from the next generation of this model?

Interesting question. From the arrival day I was intrigued with the Arccos sensor. I had some fun playing around with it and measuring drives. But when I got the shaft change I lost the Cobra Connect feature. It is something that I thought was fun and accurate – only ever had two problems with it not measuring anything close to the yardage I had. The sensor was built right into the grip. In future models, I would like to see them include like the Arccos 360 just the plug that would be interchangeable with any grip.

What feature do you really like, and would most like to see continued or evolved in future models?

I’m a huge fan of the composite style clubhead. It has a great sound and even better feel. It really lets you know when you catch one good / or one bad. Great player feedback. I hope they carry this with them in future models. The trend is to continue with adjustable drivers so I was glad to see the wrench to adjust not only weights on the bottom of the clubhead but to adjust the shaft to increase or decrease loft. I like that if my swing changes I can still play the same driver I just need to move a weight from here to there or increase my loft from 9.5 degrees to 10.5 degrees and it’s something that I don’t need a clubfitter to do for me.

I wanted to give a huge thanks to the MGS staff and this site for providing me the opportunity to test the Cobra F7+ driver. Also want to thank Cobra for participating in the testing. I enjoyed the product. Hopefully you enjoyed my reviews. And hopefully I helped someone along the way consider this product. I know there were a few comments, but wanted to influence the lurkers. I was in their spot once and only recently started posting regularly. Hopefully we can add some more members to the forum to make it more active for future tests.

Thanks,

DrewNeddy

• Like 4

Fantastic Stage 1 Drew...I love getting such a detailed background on all the testers, really helps paint a picture for the whole testing.  Well Done....Atlhough one thing, shouldn't you have said,  Wanted to see how YENZ felt about the new Cobra F7+ driver?   LOL   My best friend in life was a Pittsburgh native, and I always gave him a hard time about that  :D 

• Like 1

Fantastic Stage 1 Drew...I love getting such a detailed background on all the testers, really helps paint a picture for the whole testing. Well Done....Atlhough one thing, shouldn't you have said, Wanted to see how YENZ felt about the new Cobra F7+ driver? LOL My best friend in life was a Pittsburgh native, and I always gave him a hard time about that :D

Yinz.... crick (not creek).... fish sammich

Pittsburgh accent to a T!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Yinz.... crick (not creek).... fish sammich

Pittsburgh accent to a T!

HA!! Sorry for the misspelling...But yep, that's it.  

• Like 1

I know that golf course! It's kicked my arse plenty of times.

• Like 1

Great job Drew! Way to lead off with a bang. 

And yes Matt, Treasure Lake has a habit of doing that! Haha.

• Like 2

Drew you kept my attention the old time dude. Well written and I look forward to following along with ya.

• Like 1

Loved the reviews so far!!! Keep up the great work!

• Like 2