Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What are you working on?

TSauer

I'm working on a fairly technical swing change.  For a long time I've had a significant lateral hip slide in my forward swing.  This isn't all that bad, in that I actually do lead my swing with lower-body movement.  However, sliding the hips means my hip rotation stalls a bit just before impact.  So I'm trying to improve and continue my hip rotation, so that my left hip moves slightly up and away from the target line as I go through impact.  I do some slo-mo practice moves, with the feeling of the left hip "pulling" the club handle through and around my body as my left leg straightens slightly, followed by some full swings.  Its a work in progress, but I already see some increases in distance.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm working on a fairly technical swing change. For a long time I've had a significant lateral hip slide in my forward swing. This isn't all that bad, in that I actually do lead my swing with lower-body movement. However, sliding the hips means my hip rotation stalls a bit just before impact. So I'm trying to improve and continue my hip rotation, so that my left hip moves slightly up and away from the target line as I go through impact. I do some slo-mo practice moves, with the feeling of the left hip "pulling" the club handle through and around my body as my left leg straightens slightly, followed by some full swings. Its a work in progress, but I already see some increases in distance.

I was watching two friends who are very good players this week. They have that exact up and away move with the left hip.

Its something I'm sure I'll work on down tbe road. First I have to get the right hip turning a bit more.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I was watching two friends who are very good players this week. They have that exact up and away move with the left hip.

Its something I'm sure I'll work on down tbe road. First I have to get the right hip turning a bit more.

Oddly enough, they go hand in hand.  When I'm doing drills to reinforce the left hip movement, my right hip has no choice but to follow.  Its like they're attached....somehow....at the hip, you could say.....

Sorry, I couldn't resist that one.  

But seriously, for a long time my swing thought was to drive the right hip toward the target.  That thought eventually led to a slide rather than rotation.  My real goal is better rotation of the entire pelvis, rather than a slide and stalled rotation.  The left hip thing is simply a "feel" to help me achieve the rotational goal.  You may achieve the same result with a right-hip feel, or a belt-buckle feel, or some other image, whatever works is good.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Yep. Makes sense what you are saying. In my case I was talking about more of a right hip turn in my backswing since I have a shorter than desired shoulder turn.

Just went to the range to work on the Ugly Stick. The wind sucks. Always coming from the north do you are always hitting into it. Thanks Canada.

Anyways. I finally got the dang thing dialed in. Dropped the loft to 10.5, read MBP's post, went out and smacked the sh!t out of some range balls. If the rain holds off next weekend I'll be able to get to all the par 5's in 2 for the scramble. It's a very short course.

Irons are on point. Spent A hour on the green working on alignment. Should have played 9. Dang league was going out.

Everyone else's league get rowdy? These guys are a bunch of jerks. I refuse to play anywhere near them.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Yep. Makes sense what you are saying. In my case I was talking about more of a right hip turn in my backswing since I have a shorter than desired shoulder turn.

Consider rotating your right foot a little bit out, that might make it easier to increase your hip turn going back.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Consider rotating your right foot a little bit out, that might make it easier to increase your hip turn going back.

Yep. He mentioned that as well. Thanks for the reminder.

I'm working on a fairly technical swing change. For a long time I've had a significant lateral hip slide in my forward swing. This isn't all that bad, in that I actually do lead my swing with lower-body movement. However, sliding the hips means my hip rotation stalls a bit just before impact. So I'm trying to improve and continue my hip rotation, so that my left hip moves slightly up and away from the target line as I go through impact. I do some slo-mo practice moves, with the feeling of the left hip "pulling" the club handle through and around my body as my left leg straightens slightly, followed by some full swings. Its a work in progress, but I already see some increases in distance.

My teacher has me working on something similar. Rotate back behind the ball without sliding and then try to throw the club to the left on the down swing. The visual imagine is a medicine ball or Chair toss alla Bobby Knight. That thought keeps me connected.

I'm getting it on the range but am still struggling to take it out on the course.

I'm excited to play tomorrow to see if I can get it right this time. It's the first time that I've wanted to play golf in months. I've wanted to be with the people that I've played with but I actually want to play tomorrow. That's exciting!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Trying to best being stuck.Went to the range again today with my online lesson info.Hit it poorly, but had hands more Infront of me.Misses were dead straight tops or thins.Versus tops or thins left or right.Not pretty, but my misses were all straight.

Keep it in the short stuff

I made the comment elsewhere about doing something in Sunday's round that would have pissed my pro off. I went to the range today and was a mess. It was so bad that I called my teacher. He called back and said he was on vacation but asked what was going on. After I told him he said remember the opposite drill. I want you to get closer to the ball, open your club face and your stance a bit and try to hit low fades.

While I didn't hit every shot perfect I started hitting it straighter and on a much better trajectory. A couple even did have a hint of fade ... mostly they were just a slight draw and my divots were going straight at the target.

I feel as if I have a chance to start hitting the ball consistently again.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Went to the range today... working on set up. I was all jacked up with my driver, somehow I got my Ball position more towards center without noticing over the past month. That's where my driver issues were coming from. Back to a baby fade and workable.

Set up! 1 one problem! And I was hacking off my follow through causing a wonderful 20 yard slice. Now... just remember that when I'm out with the boss tomorrow.

And the Pro was back so I took a lesson. Two warm up pitch shots and he goes, "I could teach this lesson now." He had me work up to seven iron and videos a few. Back we go. I hit these shots pretty well mind you. He says, "You're so close". Grip, ball position and posture are perfect as is my alignment accept that my shoulders are pointing about an inch left but that produces a draw which I hit. However I'm taking the club too far inside which is putting my elbow in a stick position forcing me to roll my hands quickly to hit a good shot - it's exactly why I'm struggling with longer clubs. He puts a video of his prize student above me and we watch frame by frame. The difference between my swing and hers is off by just a tad.

Out we go and I start hitting a lot of solid shots left of target with a tad of draw until he gets me to hold it off a bit and they turn into straight or baby fades just like the other day only far more powerful. Next he hands me fairway wood. It takes a few swings and suddenly I'm smoking it. Finally he tees up three balls pretty low and hands me my driver. He tells me to hit them while he cleans my four wood. I say - Jim you know I like a long tee - he says just hit the ball and be thankful I'm letting you use a tee at all. I smoked all three high and dead straight.

He asked me if I was playing in anything big coming up and I said no. He said I don't want you to hit anything but fades for a month even in your league. From now on you hit the straight or with a fade until we get that inside move out of your system. Come back in a month and I help you hit a draw from this new position at the top if you'd like .

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Was working on my online lesson and doing terrible. Which is worse than the awful category.Tops-major toe hits-toe shanks-fats-huge pull hooks.Trudging along as best as I can.Amazingly every question I had for the pro via email has been answered.The results are so bad.Im actually getting angry with myself now.And have no idea why I just can't do this.Have a big charity individual score event coming up in a month.Dreading it and would love to have come up with an excuse why I can't attend.This has steadily digressed into worse than beginner hits now.Maybe some of this is mental.He actually told me my core swing fundamentals are very solid.Hate to see how the ball would go if they weren't solid.😦😩😩😔👎👎

I worked driver and 6 iron today

Driver- lost ALL confidence in it. Hitting bananas out there a whopping 200 yards. I believe I've got it straight now.

6 iron off the tee at one specific course always end up pulling so I decided to work on it today

I'm not a long hitter with driver but when you go from 240-250 to 200 AND not in fairway it makes for a long round

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

@Bigmoney that's why I like working with a live teacher. Sometimes crappy results can come as we are implementing a new move. You need to have that trained set of eyes.

At Josh I'd take 240-250 not in the fairway! :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

@Bigmoney that's why I like working with a live teacher. Sometimes crappy results can come as we are implementing a new move. You need to have that trained set of eyes.

At Josh I'd take 240-250 not in the fairway! :)

agree Rev.I think online lessons are tough.The teacher can't be there and see what the Ball is doing.Plus they-most only care about a swings look.This guy seems big in a method.I don't need a method now.I just need anything to get the ball in the air.Hitting so poorly I'm almost burned out with even trying anymore

I worked driver and 6 iron today

Driver- lost ALL confidence in it. Hitting bananas out there a whopping 200 yards. I believe I've got it straight now.

6 iron off the tee at one specific course always end up pulling so I decided to work on it today

I'm not a long hitter with driver but when you go from 240-250 to 200 AND not in fairway it makes for a long round

Practice practice practice. I've been working with my driver as well, trying to hit draws/fades on command. One thing I like to do when I'm hitting them well is after my round or practice session, write down what I did or changed in a little notebook. Because honestly sometimes I forget what I was doing when I was hitting everything well. If it's written down, I can glance at the book and give myself a refresher.

Driver: Ping G 9.5*

Fairway: TaylorMade AeroBurner

Hybrid: Adams Blue

Irons: TaylorMade Burner 2.0

Wedges: TaylorMade Tour Preferred EF

Putter: Odyssey O-Works #1

Took out camera and sent online pro a front on and dtl followup to lesson.Says I'm doing great.Not going to play the victim card.But not sure what he is judging that on.I mean is better a step up from bad? Than he sent me another message stating we need to do opposite of what your doing😔😔😔😩.That is so open ended.Does that mean swing right instead of left handed?Wondering if I'm getting smoke blown up my arse.How can you judge improvement without watching the Ball results?Does a look of a swing trump everything when it comes online lesson time.

😔😫😫😡

Took out camera and sent online pro a front on and dtl followup to lesson.Says I'm doing great.Not going to play the victim card.But not sure what he is judging that on.I mean is better a step up from bad? Than he sent me another message stating we need to do opposite of what your doing.That is so open ended.Does that mean swing right instead of left handed?Wondering if I'm getting smoke blown up my arse.How can you judge improvement without watching the Ball results?Does a look of a swing trump everything when it comes online lesson time.

I'd be interested in where you're getting your online instruction.  But to answer the question, there definitely are times when you can be improving your mechanics, making progress in a specific motion, yet the results aren't there yet.  In fact, you can hit the ball worse, less consistently, as you learn a new movement.  When you're on the course, the score is the final judge.  When you're working on a swing change, swinging with the new mechanics are more important than the results of the shot.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I find this hard to argue with, I think the best way to learn is with live instruction.  However, video can be a great tool as you practice between lessons.  Once you've been told just what to look for, you can get nearly real-time feedback during and after a practice session.  Things always feel "odd" when you make a change.  But if you look at your video, and see that you're actually making the change you're trying to make, you can survive that "odd" feeling until the proper motion begins to feel more natural.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I'd be interested in where you're getting your online instruction. But to answer the question, there definitely are times when you can be improving your mechanics, making progress in a specific motion, yet the results aren't there yet. In fact, you can hit the ball worse, less consistently, as you learn a new movement. When you're on the course, the score is the final judge. When you're working on a swing change, swinging with the new mechanics are more important than the results of the shot.

im working at it with my best efforts.

Have been working on 2 things: #1 - full shoulder turn.  I was constantly coming across the ball on tee shots due to lazy backswing motion.  Seem to have it down now since it's my main swing thought.  #2 - 3 wood off the deck.  This is the worst part of my game.  I can stripe them at the range but can't bring it to the course so I'm always hitting low hook 4 irons to try to get to par 5's in 2.  Any tips?

I find this hard to argue with, I think the best way to learn is with live instruction. However, video can be a great tool as you practice between lessons. Once you've been told just what to look for, you can get nearly real-time feedback during and after a practice session. Things always feel "odd" when you make a change. But if you look at your video, and see that you're actually making the change you're trying to make, you can survive that "odd" feeling until the proper motion begins to feel more natural.

Fully agree! I wish that I could video between lessons. I will have friends or my son video me during rounds. I also like to use a mirror to try and get the feel/sight of proper positions.

Having my swing frame by frame below an ideal swing frame by frame and seeing the similarities and difference was a huge help.

I'm anxious to get to the range to hit more shots. I leave for a conference early Monday and won't be able to hit balls again until Friday of next week so I want to get what I'm trying to do in my head, now!

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Online instructions are difficult to accomplish. Sad part is once you get better, there's not much to work on either, instructions wise. There's only so much you can absorb and you'd ended up working on 1-2 things, which pretty much all you can take.

I was going to work on my block approach shot at the range today after the round but my approach is working deliciously for me right now with the new irons, so I skipped it altogether today and went to have breakfast instead. I'm going to ride this lucky wave out as long as I could.

Well after several so so rounds and going through my written down stats it's pretty obvious that I need to be working my approaches in. I've moved away from as many drivers to a few more 3 woods which has helped with my fairways, but I'm really struggling sticking or making good approach shots into greens...anyway to the range I go and hopefully get some more consistency built into my swing.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Have been working on 2 things: #1 - full shoulder turn. I was constantly coming across the ball on tee shots due to lazy backswing motion. Seem to have it down now since it's my main swing thought. #2 - 3 wood off the deck. This is the worst part of my game. I can stripe them at the range but can't bring it to the course so I'm always hitting low hook 4 irons to try to get to par 5's in 2. Any tips?

What's the Issie with the 3w? Top? Pull? Fat?

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Archived