Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Fittings, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Ive been fit many times, all indoors. My most recent was trying to get fit for a set of ping i200s. 6 hours, three sessions, every shaft in the line-up, and I look at the fitter and ask, "how do i explain to my wife I spent $900 for a yard of distance?" He says, "you cant. Dont buy them."

So I left. No new irons.

Previous time fit for an M1. Bought it based on inside dynami s and trackman but taking it outside on ghe course, i just couldnt/wouldnt get the swing speed to the same level. I sold it this week after three rounds.

Finally, ive tried to be fit for new pings several times but they always want to discuss what im playing now. I want a fresh fitting. My swing has changed in 30 years but no luck so far...green dot + .75...beem that way since my first fitting in 1978

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Ive been fit many times, all indoors. My most recent was trying to get fit for a set of ping i200s. 6 hours, three sessions, every shaft in the line-up, and I look at the fitter and ask, "how do i explain to my wife I spent $900 for a yard of distance?" He says, "you cant. Dont buy them."

So I left. No new irons.

Previous time fit for an M1. Bought it based on inside dynami s and trackman but taking it outside on ghe course, i just couldnt/wouldnt get the swing speed to the same level. I sold it this week after three rounds.

Finally, ive tried to be fit for new pings several times but they always want to discuss what im playing now. I want a fresh fitting. My swing has changed in 30 years but no luck so far...green dot + .75...beem that way since my first fitting in 1978

Your comment about them wanting to know what you are playing now and you not wanting to influence it, reminds me of buying car and one of the forst things they ask you is what will you be trading in. So when you tell them they know about how much they can jack up the sell price.

A friend who sold for Toyota told me to aleays say I'm not trading anything. I'm giving the car to my son/daughter etc. Then when you have a final sale price, come back with the trade saying you changed your mind.

I don't know if that's still relevant in today's car buying world, but I did it once and the salesman didn't seem too happy.

I get why you would want to go in fresh and not have the, judge your game with your current sticks.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

So I left. No new irons.

For me, I thought it was useful to bring my old clubs to the Mizuno fitting to see a base where we could start from. I wasn't fit for my current gamers, so I wanted to see what a set of irons fit for my swing could do. I'm relatively successful with the Vapor Combos, my mishits leak a little right, more than a fade, but not going half the distance forward and the other half to the right. It's enough to where I'll probably miss the green, though. I thought it was due to the shafts being too light and whippy, but who knows. Maybe the bend profile of the XP95 isn't a match for me, maybe it's the weight, maybe it's the overall flex, maybe it's Maybelline?

When I got to see the difference in the raw data at the fitting, and the simulated ball flight, I got a MUCH tighter dispersion. I swear I could have hit a ball into those snack sized Cheeto bags at my fitting -- if you put it 2y to the right of center. I was just painting that area with little white pixels. I got slightly less spin, a little more distance, and a slightly more-penetrating flight (from the data) so I'm pretty stoked.

So, while your swing changed from your first fitting, the reason they want to know what you're currently playing might not be just to put you in the same exact setup. They might start there, but where you end up should be fit to the way you swing during your session.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Archived