Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

OFFICIAL FORUM MEMBER REVIEW - MIZUNO JPX 900 IRONS

JBones

I'm planning to buy JPX 900's soon. I've never been fitted :blush:, and I know shaft selection is key, how important is the Mizuno Swing Analyzer? Should I find another fitter if I run into one who doesn't have or use the Swing Analyzer, or chooses to ignore the Mizuno recommendation? Sorry if it's a stupid question.

I agree with JLukes on this one.  A full fledged fitting would be more beneficial to me, but if you don't find a full line fitter your comfortable with, the Swing Analyzer will give you 3 choices that are very compatible to you swing.   Just make sure the fitter then lets you hit all three of those on a LM to find out which one gives you the best numbers and also take into account he each one feels to swing. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tuned.  Definitely closer to the standard MP5/MP18 than to the JPX 900 Forged irons

There's a reason that there are full sets of JPX 900 Tours in bags of prominent PGA Tour Players

Brookes Koepka, Sam Saunders, Lucas Glover, Roberto Castro, Jim Herman, Kevin Chappell all gamed the 900 Tours in 2017 and most still have them in the bag now, even with the release of the MP18

Tuned. Definitely closer to the standard MP5/MP18 than to the JPX 900 Forged irons

with that being said, should we jump to the conclusion that the JPX Forged are suped up? I am aware of the stronger lofts.

I have been trying to be patient for the stage 2 Forged review. Can you provide some insight?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

There's a reason that there are full sets of JPX 900 Tours in bags of prominent PGA Tour Players

Brookes Koepka, Sam Saunders, Lucas Glover, Roberto Castro, Jim Herman, Kevin Chappell all gamed the 900 Tours in 2017 and most still have them in the bag now, even with the release of the MP18

So, you'd say you've jumped on the #nothingfeelslikeamizuno Wagon? The JPX and the FliHi won you over? What were/do you look for in your irons and has that changed since you put the JPX's in the bag?

Sent from No Mans Land....

with that being said, should we jump to the conclusion that the JPX Forged are suped up? I am aware of the stronger lofts.

I have been trying to be patient for the stage 2 Forged review. Can you provide some insight?

From my limited experienced with the forged, they are very similar to the Srixon 565 and Apex CF 16 irons.  Pleasing shape, middle of the road sole and topline, stronger lofts, and perimeter weighting that increases launch and lowers spin (which increases distance) 

So, you'd say you've jumped on the #nothingfeelslikeamizuno Wagon? The JPX and the FliHi won you over? What were/do you look for in your irons and has that changed since you put the JPX's in the bag?

As I mentioned in my review, my irons are all about distance control and predictability now.  Give me consistent yardage gaps with "true" distances and that is what I want.

Precision Precision Precision.

I have a high swing speed, so there is no need for me to chase extra distance that is created by sacrificing spin and predictability 

As I mentioned in my review, my irons are all about distance control and predictability now. Give me consistent yardage gaps with "true" distances and that is what I want.

Precision Precision Precision.

I have a high swing speed, so there is no need for me to chase extra distance that is created by sacrificing spin and predictability

Too many choice... it's like a box of chocolates.

Too many choice... it's like a box of chocolates.

Play what makes you happy, man.  When it comes to performance in blade-style irons, you are going to see a lot of differences between brands.  Play what suits your eye and makes you happy!

All,

I am pleased to have found the My Golf Spy site. I have been reading the reviews for some time now. Everyone seems to be helpful to further the enjoyment of the game.

I have been gaming Titleist 714 AP2's for three years now. Started back at 49 yrs old, just turned 53. Previously, (I just picked the game back up after a 20 year layoff- shattered my left wrist), gamed Ping G25's after discovery that I had full range motion.

My misses are pulls ( left- I'm right handed), or hooks. I attributed some of that to the G25's offset, but still fight the same miss with the AP2's (just not as drastic). Plus I much prefer the feel of a well struck forged iron.

I was fitted for the G25's by an old school fitter (owner of a driving range),that strictly went by ball flight and lie board. The G25's had stiff graphite shafts.

He fit me for the AP2's as well,... said I needed DG S300 shafts in them.

This brings me to where I am today.

My driver swing speed is 92-96 mph. I'm sure I can increase that with a little stretching and strength exercising. I was once muscular and athletic (6'0, 220).

Now, with age, I consider myself somewhat soft, although still physical and stocky/husky (down to 212 lbs now).

So, what I am looking for in my irons at this stage, is a little more forgiveness and more distance without sacrificing accuracy. My regular playing partners are 20 yrs younger than me.

I have been researching the Mizuno JPX Forged, as well as Srixion 565's. Turf interaction is meaningful...since I dig a hole you could bury a squirrel in from time to time . I would also like to move back to graphite shafts to alleviate some shoulder, elbow and wrist shock.

I would like your suggestions as to irons and shafts I should have on my radar.

Am I on the right track?

Should I wait on Severtheties Stage2 Forged review? If someone could just give him a nudge to at least update us it would be appreciated.

All,

I am pleased to have found the My Golf Spy site. I have been reading the reviews for some time now. Everyone seems to be helpful to further the enjoyment of the game.

I have been gaming Titleist 714 AP2's for three years now. Started back at 49 yrs old, just turned 53. Previously, (I just picked the game back up after a 20 year layoff- shattered my left wrist), gamed Ping G25's after discovery that I had full range motion.

My misses are pulls ( left- I'm right handed), or hooks. I attributed some of that to the G25's offset, but still fight the same miss with the AP2's (just not as drastic). Plus I much prefer the feel of a well struck forged iron.

I was fitted for the G25's by an old school fitter (owner of a driving range),that strictly went by ball flight and lie board. The G25's had stiff graphite shafts.

My driver swing speed is 92-96 mph. I'm sure I can increase that with a little stretching and strength exercising. I was once muscular and athletic (6'0, 220).

Now, with age, I consider myself somewhat soft, although still physical and stocky/husky (down to 212 lbs now).

So, what I am looking for in my irons at this stage, is a little more forgiveness and more distance without sacrificing accuracy. My regular playing partners are 20 yrs younger than me.

I have been researching the Mizuno JPX Forged, as well as Srixion 565's. Turf interaction is meaningful...since I dig a hole you could bury a squirrel in from time to time . I would also like to move back to graphite shafts to alleviate some shoulder, elbow and wrist shock.

Am I on the right track?

Should I wait on Severtheties Stage2 Forged review? If someone could just give him a nudge to at least update us it would be appreciated.

Glad you joined, Don!  I think you are on the right track with the Forged and 565s.  The Mizunos do have a narrower sole and the Srixons have a slightly wider sole and the v-sole, which is supposed to help with turf interaction.  Having gamed srixon 545 irons and hit the 900 forged briefly I do not see a huge different between the two sets, performance wise.  The 545s had a very wide sole, which they narrowed slightly with the 565, but I believe the 900 Forged is still a bit more narrow.  Both sets should give you exactly what you need and I don't think any amount of reading reviews is going to help you delineate between the two sets; you're going to need to hit them for yourself and choose which one you prefer!

Glad you joined, Don! I think you are on the right track with the Forged and 565s. The Mizunos do have a narrower sole and the Srixons have a slightly wider sole and the v-sole, which is supposed to help with turf interaction. Having gamed srixon 545 irons and hit the 900 forged briefly I do not see a huge different between the two sets, performance wise. The 545s had a very wide sole, which they narrowed slightly with the 565, but I believe the 900 Forged is still a bit more narrow. Both sets should give you exactly what you need and I don't think any amount of reading reviews is going to help you delineate between the two sets; you're going to need to hit them for yourself and choose which one you prefer!

10-4...I hope to do a full blown fitting at Club Champion in Charlotte NC. I feel sure that this would take place entirely indoors off a mat. I expected to hear the advice (thanks by the way). Hoping others will chime in on distance, forgiveness, turf interaction etc.

So, (hate to keep taking up your time), wider soles won't dig as much? It seems like the wider the sole the more offset I see (which is a concern, giving my miss). Is this the case?

The shaft is “the engine” that will get dialed in at a fitting? To determine ball flight. In my estimations I am a high ball hitter.

You could certainly shut my questions down with a “just go get fit” response. I'm just not certain it's going to be doable.

Just looking for confirmation on what I think I know .

10-4...I hope to do a full blown fitting at Club Champion in Charlotte NC. I feel sure that this would take place entirely indoors off a mat. I expected to hear the advice (thanks by the way). Hoping others will chime in on distance, forgiveness, turf interaction etc.

So, (hate to keep taking up your time), wider soles won't dig as much? It seems like the wider the sole the more offset I see (which is a concern, giving my miss). Is this the case?

The shaft is “the engine” that will get dialed in at a fitting? To determine ball flight. In my estimations I am a high ball hitter.

You could certainly shut my questions down with a “just go get fit” response. I'm just not certain it's going to be doable.

Just looking for confirmation on what I think I know .

No correlation to sole and offset.  And generally speaking a wider sole won't dig as much, but it also depends on the bounce and camber of the sole which is an entirely different subject.  You should still get a decent feel for interaction off a mat.  For instance, my range only has mats and I can definitely notice a difference between my old Srixon 745 irons (wider sole) and Mixuno 900 Tour irons (narrower sole).  I am not a digger, so I actually preferred the narrower soles of the MIzunos.  Here is a good explanation on iron soles and turf interaction https://www.golfdigest.com/gallery/newlooks_soles#2

As far as ball flight with irons, a shaft can definitely have an effect.  Here is a great article that explains that while shafts effect flight, it comes down to the individual as to which shaft does what.  https://mygolfspy.com/mgs-labs-does-the-shaft-matter/ 

All,

Am I on the right track?

Don...I can't add much more than Jlukes did in his two posts.    But what I can do is tell you we are very similar in a lot of our "specs, games"    I'm a couple years older, have a few less MPH swing speed, closer to 90 with driver.

Being tall 6'5" I tend to come in pretty steep with my swing, it's gotten less steep as I've lost some flexibility,   So digging has always been a concern of mine.   It's the reason I sold a set of MP60's after 3 rounds about 12 years or so ago.    The Srixon's 565/765 combo I had were very good in turf interaction.   And the Hot Metals are great, they have a bit of a pre worn leading edge, not sure if the Forged have those or not.   Can't seem to recall from the time I had them in hand.  

As for mats, I believe  and actually have been shown by an instructor that you can tell if you're hitting it fat or "digging" too much even off them. Sure while grass is idea, a good quality mat, you will still know by the sound and feel.   Sure it'll mask the results much better than grass, but you will still know. 

I'm going to buy a full set of JPX900 Forged (maybe with 4-6 Hot Metals). I went and hit the JPX900 Forged 6i today, along with 718 AP2 7i and my prehistoric W/S 6i all with similar shafts. To be honest all three felt good, though not exactly the same. Average distances varied quite a bit, but entirely consistent with lofts, 27 deg, 34 deg and 31 deg respectively. I did lose about 500 rpm with the Mizunos and the Titleists vs my old Staffs, but that might be fine for me as I hit my old irons pretty high.

Good stuff, glad you got some comparisons in.   The AP2 or JPXForged, can't go wrong with either one right there. 

Would you classify the Tours as a Ferrari/Porsche or a Camaro/Mustang? Finely tuned or Suped up muscle?

I think it's in the middle. I'd say it's a Nissan GT-R. Finely-tuned hand-built motor, in a slightly souped up body (slight perimeter weighting).

I have fully converted. I'm driving the wagon. Can't wait to go to their flagship store in Tokyo next March!

All,

Am I on the right track?

I tend to pull my shots when I play irons with larger amounts of offset as well. Turf interaction with the Tours has been so enjoyable, feels like it just cuts through so easily. The sole on the Forged isn't much wider from what I've seen in stores. The slightly stronger lofts will probably help you regain some of the distance. As far as what shaft, that's something you'll have to work out with your fitter. Tell him your intentions, and try your best to describe the feel you're getting to them during the session - they're there to work with you! Don't be afraid to ask questions either!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Don...I can't add much more than Jlukes did in his two posts. But what I can do is tell you we are very similar in a lot of our "specs, games" I'm a couple years older, have a few less MPH swing speed, closer to 90 with driver.

Being tall 6'5" I tend to come in pretty steep with my swing, it's gotten less steep as I've lost some flexibility, So digging has always been a concern of mine. It's the reason I sold a set of MP60's after 3 rounds about 12 years or so ago. The Srixon's 565/765 combo I had were very good in turf interaction. And the Hot Metals are great, they have a bit of a pre worn leading edge, not sure if the Forged have those or not. Can't seem to recall from the time I had them in hand.

As for mats, I believe and actually have been shown by an instructor that you can tell if you're hitting it fat or "digging" too much even off them. Sure while grass is idea, a good quality mat, you will still know by the sound and feel. Sure it'll mask the results much better than grass, but you will still know.

I would like your thoughts comparing the AP2's with the JPX's, (I believe I read you had done a full blown Titleist fitting).

Which set did you decide to game? Why?

Did you give up some distance with the AP2's?

I would like your thoughts comparing the AP2's with the JPX's, (I believe I read you had done a full blown Titleist fitting).

please touch on a forgiveness comparison too.

Thank you

Carolina,

I just reread your Stage 2, you were very through in the comparisons. So to clarify my questions, I am asking about your limited experience with the JPX Forged.

Carolina,

I just reread your Stage 2, you were very through in the comparisons. So to clarify my questions, I am asking about your limited experience with the JPX Forged.

Sorry to say, my limited experience with the Forged is extremely limited. It consisted soley of looking at them in Golf Galaxy and doing an in hand comparison of it and the Hot Metal from the racks.

Mainly looking at top line comparison. Didn't get to hit it in the simulator at all. I also can't recall if I really compared the soles. I'm sure I looked, but can't recall any drastic differences.

Update.

I played 9 holes this afternoon with my HotMetal/AP2 combo set.

And once again. The AP2 end really stood out. Both in feel and resluts. And again, I fully realize I'm comparing 4-6 irons to 7-P. But to me even the difference between the 6 and 7 of the two different sets is dramatic.

I admittingly hit some pretty poor (thin) shots with the JPX and as a result, did not get thst Mizuno feel we like to talk so much about. It was actually a rather harsh feel.

On the other hand. Only had one what I would call poorly struck shot with the AP2 end. Everything else was solid and felt just so smooth and beautiful.

This really doesn't illustrate much more than the fact that a solidly struck Forged iron is going to perform and feel much better than a poorly struck non forged head. Hello Captain Obvious

I really wish for my sake (and Don's) thst I had a chance to hit some of the JPX Forged up against the AP2. Hmmmh

I really wish for my sake (and Don's) thst I had a chance to hit some of the JPX Forged up against the AP2. Hmmmh

Further and further down the rabbit hole he goes!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Where will he stop no body knows! CG2 I need to stay in contact with you to watch for cheap deals lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Probably would be a wise idea...LOL   You already missed out on a cheap Srixon 565/765 deal.  But stay tuned!!  After my round with the driver yesterday, I may start down the dark hole of drivers now...ha

Probably would be a wise idea...LOL   You already missed out on a cheap Srixon 565/765 deal.  But stay tuned!!  After my round with the driver yesterday, I may start down the dark hole of drivers now...ha

It's dark down here, but at least there's plenty of company

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

It's dark down here, but at least there's plenty of company

Good to know!!!

After hitting a friends G30 for half a dozen holes or so yesterday, I immediately came back in and checked the Free Classifieds here and the For Sale section on a couple other places.  Only one G30 to be found on all three, but it had a 73x shaft....not quite my profile...ha    So that must say something for the performance and popularity of that driver, nobody willing to part with  it.   This friend had tried the G and G400 as well and neither one in his mind could outperform the G30. 

Good to know!!!

After hitting a friends G30 for half a dozen holes or so yesterday, I immediately came back in and checked the Free Classifieds here and the For Sale section on a couple other places. Only one G30 to be found on all three, but it had a 73x shaft....not quite my profile...ha So that must say something for the performance and popularity of that driver, nobody willing to part with it. This friend had tried the G and G400 as well and neither one in his mind could outperform the G30.

I just got a G30 and it changed my life. I've never hit so many fairways before. I can stand on the tee with confidence and swing away. I'm hitting it longer just because I'm comfortable enough to let it rip.

eBay is full of G30 listing at good prices. Check it out right meow!

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I just got a G30 and it changed my life. I've never hit so many fairways before. I can stand on the tee with confidence and swing away. I'm hitting it longer just because I'm comfortable enough to let it rip.

eBay is full of G30 listing at good prices. Check it out right meow!

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

I can't remember did you have the G30 when we played?   

Yep, EBay is the one place I didn't look yet, thought I'd check out the local neighborhood joints first :)   But will head there for sure.   part of me really wants to wait until January to see some of the new ones coming out, like the M4, F8, Mizuno ST180 and others.    But if I find a great deal...who knows!

No I didn't. I had the 915. I just got the G30 2 weeks ago.

Shoot.... with your buying habits you can buy one now and one later

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Archived