Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

OPERATION CALLAWAY: RECONNAISSANCE

GolfSpy Dave

I went to the Callaway Fitting Center in Las Vegas to be fit properly (at the time I was a +1 handicap). I brought my own golf balls (the brand I prefer). They laughed at me and said that the ball is not that important to this particular process and they will make adjustments. They then proceeded to run me through a series of tests. The entire time I noticed that while the golf balls were all Callaway, they were different styles. I bought the clubs they recommended but the irons never felt right.

My question is; how can you properly fit someone using a variety of different spin golf balls?

PS I have never used Callaway again because I always felt like it was a scam to sell clubs.

Same set of questions I had for Wilson:

What would be the best way to prepare for a fitting session? Should you be hitting as much as possible before a fitting or would they recommend something else?

Are there things that most golfers don't usually bother to take notice or look for that can actually help a fitter during a fitting?

What are their thoughts on equipment used in the fitting? Other than Trackman, what other options are comparable?

I find hitting indoor to a net, does not give enough feedback. In the range I could adjust my swing to get it to a state where I'm happier (sometimes). If the fitting is done indoors, how do you get to your "ideal" swing before the actual fitting starts? Is it just better to go to a fitting that can be done outdoors?

What set of questions should a fitter ask in every fitting?

I'm going to go a bit out of the box with my guesses:

Razr Hawk 10* with MRC Fubuki

Diablo Edge Tour 15* with Diamana ilima

Razr X 3&4 hybrids with Matrix Black Tie shafts

Razr X Tour irons with KBS C-Tapers in s-flex, hardstepped once (5-PW)

Jaws CC Slate wedges in 52-10, 56-12, 60-8 with DG wedge flex

Odyssey Ti-Hot #1

Tour iZ balls

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Product question -- the outlets are selling a set of X20's for about $400.00 -- what is the difference between these and the originals and are they just as playable -- to me they look like an entry level club -- no bore thru hosel and True Temper multi lite shafts --

Here's my questions:

1. Why does the RAZR Hawk look so much like the FT Tour?

2. How come they don't compare the "forged composite" to their earlier composites? Why do they only compare it to titanium in advertisements?

Thanks in advance for any info you can glean from them!

What determines the type of clubs you choose after the fitting? Is it the number of years you have been playing? Your age? Your handicap (if you have one). If you are fitted for lie angle, length of clubs, grips size, etc...Is it your choice to pick Blades or cavity back? Steele or graphite, forged or regular. If you are fitted, what determines the type of club to use?

If you go though the fitting process you should be able to hit anything you want if you practice enough. Right?

All right spies. Questions are collected. I'll pass them along and report back with answers.

Some of you seem a bit angry... :angry:

Ask them if it comes in white..... :blink:

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• SPY VIP

So....Wow! :D

Three hour fitting session. Amazing...

Look for the write-up after the weekend. One of my best golf experiences ever.

For now I am off to find a nice Stone IPA B)

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

For now I am off to find a nice Stone IPA B)

For this, I am Truly Jealous...

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Was anyone's guess on the new clubs close?

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• SPY VIP

Was anyone's guess on the new clubs close?

Lots close. I'm going to hold off on announcing the final bag make-up though until I have them in hand.

Then I can add sweet photos too :)

Volvo Intorqueo

Lots close. I'm going to hold off on announcing the final bag make-up though until I have them in hand.

Then I can add sweet photos too :)

you are gonna make us wait that long???? DANG!!!

In The Bag

Same set of questions I had for Wilson:

What would be the best way to prepare for a fitting session? Should you be hitting as much as possible before a fitting or would they recommend something else?

Are there things that most golfers don't usually bother to take notice or look for that can actually help a fitter during a fitting?

What are their thoughts on equipment used in the fitting? Other than Trackman, what other options are comparable?

I find hitting indoor to a net, does not give enough feedback. In the range I could adjust my swing to get it to a state where I'm happier (sometimes). If the fitting is done indoors, how do you get to your "ideal" swing before the actual fitting starts? Is it just better to go to a fitting that can be done outdoors?

What set of questions should a fitter ask in every fitting?

Nine, I can answer one of your questions. It is no longer a sine qua non to have a Trackman for fitting. The Flightscope X-2 provides everything Tman does at half the price. I am not associated with FS or any golf equipment company. My instructor, Michael Jacobs at the Explosive Golf School on Long Island just got one and it is just as good as the Tman at Novogolf.

I WANT RESULTS!!!!!!

Dave, when will your fitting report be ready? I have my fitting this Sunday and would love to hear Callaway's responses to my fitting related questions.

Nine, I can answer one of your questions. It is no longer a sine qua non to have a Trackman for fitting. The Flightscope X-2 provides everything Tman does at half the price. I am not associated with FS or any golf equipment company. My instructor, Michael Jacobs at the Explosive Golf School on Long Island just got one and it is just as good as the Tman at Novogolf.

I also read good things about Flightscope in my searches in the web. Not quite as accurate in terms of angle of attack but everything else was on par with Tman in a side by side test done by someone.

I wonder if the older model is as good as the more current flightscopes. Going to a fitter who has a kudu.

• SPY VIP

I am waiting on the answers to all of the questions. It was a bit of a long list, but it should be here soon.

Big box of gear showed up yesterday though so the timeline for the next article has shortened dramatically :)

Volvo Intorqueo

Dave, when will your fitting report be ready? I have my fitting this Sunday and would love to hear Callaway's responses to my fitting related questions.

I also read good things about Flightscope in my searches in the web. Not quite as accurate in terms of angle of attack but everything else was on par with Tman in a side by side test done by someone.

I wonder if the older model is as good as the more current flightscopes. Going to a fitter who has a kudu.

We have the Kudu, and it is something that I use daily with excellent results. Would I like a T-Man?? Yes. Does Kudu do the job? Yes. You should get very accurate speed and launch #'s. Good luck with the fitting.

Thanks for following up Dave. I really liked the Wilson piece so can't wait for this one either.

We have the Kudu, and it is something that I use daily with excellent results. Would I like a T-Man?? Yes. Does Kudu do the job? Yes. You should get very accurate speed and launch #'s. Good luck with the fitting.

Glad to hear that you like the kudu nic. Thanks for sharing.

My first real fitting this Sunday, so hoping for the best.

Archived