GolfSpy MPR

GolfSpy MPR and BIG STU's Putter Shootout

15 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Yeah, it's hard to say exactly what it is. In my first post, I have them both (the EXO and the MLA) listed with essentially the same amount of toe hang, so that is fascinating: that isn't the difference. The EXO has made homemade Stroke Lab shaft and a Gravity Grip. I'm really tempted to make another couple DIY Stroke Lab shafts after I finish the test, and put them in the MLA and the Cleveland.

You are going to have to steer me in the direction of how to make a DYI Stroke Lab shaft--- Sounds like fun--- Heck I have plenty of putters to experiment with

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

Do tell @GolfSpy MPR on the DIY strokelab shafts.  I'm living my DIY life vicariously through you right now

I put up a thread about my build here: 

• Like 2

For whatever reason, it and I have never gotten on all that well. That said, this is only round one, and so there's a lot of putts left to roll.

FYI, I had the original MLA grip replaced with a Superstroke Mid 2.0 and has improved a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

I put up a thread about my build here: 
[/url]  

This gas me thinking about a project with one of my putters. Now which putter is the question.
My Tad Moore is my most inconsistent putter and nay be a candidate.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

On 11/7/2019 at 10:54 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

Round 2 is complete, with some absolutely interesting results tonight.

The last putter to go in Round 2 was the MLA. For those following along at home, you've seen that for some reason, the MLA and I just have never clicked. It also underperformed the first time I did this putter challenge. I can't put my finger on exactly why.

So I grabbed the MLA, did my normal brief warm-up to get accustomed to the face (I do this with every putter before each test), and then proceeded to putt like total garbage. I made 9/10 four-footers on the PuttOUT, with no perfect putts. I then made a decent 10/18 in that drill, which is right at the average.

But on the PuttOUT gate drill, I hit the gate every single time. A 0/10! I'd never done that before.

I still had a little time left to putt, so I decided to start round 3, and first up for Round 3 was my Odyssey EXO Indy. This made me nervous; the Indy had been performing very well so far, and my fear was that I was just having a bad putting evening and I was about to tank my Indy's numbers.

On the four-footers: I made three perfect putts, but missed one. Even so, with the perfects, my total was 15 points, which is a new high score.

Then on the 18 putt drill, I made the first 13 in a row. I have never done that; my previous total record was 14/18. Unfortunately, the last five (longer putts that break right) is my weakest station, and I made only 1/5. Still, that's 14/18, tying my lifetime best.

The gate drill was still a bit shaky: I only made 5/10, but the misses were distributed left and right, rather than concentrated on the left side.

On the whole, I found those two rounds to be very enlightening. Whether its mental or physical, I cannot fully say. But it was strong proof to me that a putter can work with you or a putter can fight you.

Here are the current standings, with Round 3 just underway (reminder: red is good):

image.png

This is the first year I've really done much in the way of consistent putting practice, and tracking progress, and I have been so surprised at how streaky I can be.

I'll line up and feel like there's no way I could miss if I wanted to for 5-10 putts in a row, then something will get a little shaky and I'll feel like there's nothing I can do to roll one on line.

I know my putting is nothing remarkable, and my stroke has a ways to go in the way of consistency. But I also wonder how much of putting is the confidence you have standing over the putt as well.