cksurfdude

My GolfTec lesson ... a positive experience!

[.. placeholder for me to post subsequent lesson updates ..]

Excellent write-up and thank you for sharing your experience. I'm going to tag this thread and follow along to see how it all works out for you. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

I did Golftec lesson plan couple years ago. I got the lessons and a 3 month unlimited practice. Being from Cincinnati, the indoor practice with video was so helpful. The lessons were great and the Clubhouse allowed me to get recaps of the lesson to help me remember things. Hope your time is as good 

• Like 2

thanks for the write-up. I got a Golftec lesson/eval/fitting package for Christmas and looking forward to it.

• Like 2

Really nice write up. 

I have a friend that really likes GT and has been going there for several years. He's seen much improvement in his game.

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing! Based on my experience thus far, I really enjoy working with teaching pros on the course or at an actual driving range hitting off grass, but I'm also a huge numbers guy and would be interested in seeing more data. I may just have to give GolfTec a try sometime in the not-too-distant future.

• Like 2

On 1/3/2020 at 9:20 AM, TR1PTIK said:

Thanks for sharing! Based on my experience thus far, I really enjoy working with teaching pros on the course or at an actual driving range hitting off grass, but I'm also a huge numbers guy and would be interested in seeing more data. I may just have to give GolfTec a try sometime in the not-too-distant future.

Thanks for reading! I agree - I prefer an outdoor lesson and Larry (the coach) told me that can be arranged ... come Springtime! In fact, he said they prefer to do their short game lessons outdoors. 

Re: data -- in addition to the all the LM output, during a lesson the coach can customize the video feed to overlay any selected data points that are being emphasized; see..
https://www.golftec.com/swingtru
..for a few examples.

• Like 2

On 1/2/2020 at 11:43 AM, PlaidJacket said:

Really nice write up. 

I have a friend that really likes GT and has been going there for several years. He's seen much improvement in his game.

Thank you, sir! Glad to hear about your friend - indicates that my experience was not an isolated anomaly... 👍

On 1/2/2020 at 8:12 AM, JonMUSC08 said:

thanks for the write-up. I got a Golftec lesson/eval/fitting package for Christmas and looking forward to it.

Thanks for reading! That's a nice gift! ..really hope your experience goes well for you, too!! 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2020 at 6:29 AM, Rchang said:

I did Golftec lesson plan couple years ago. I got the lessons and a 3 month unlimited practice. Being from Cincinnati, the indoor practice with video was so helpful. The lessons were great and the Clubhouse allowed me to get recaps of the lesson to help me remember things. Hope your time is as good 

Yeah, the Clubhouse app/website are extremely helpful for post-lesson reviews. The short video clips that my coach has attached to each lesson are very helpful, too, to refer back to from time to time to remind myself not only to do the drills but also to remind myself to make sure I'm doing them correctly!

On 1/1/2020 at 11:20 PM, sirchunksalot said:

Excellent write-up and thank you for sharing your experience. I'm going to tag this thread and follow along to see how it all works out for you. Good luck!

Thanks! Since that initial lesson I have been back for three more ... and I also found these to be super helpful to my swing and my game ... will update soon!

• Like 2

That's the first time I've heard Golftec referred to as the "Natty Light of golf lessons".  I'm curious as to why some people say that.

In any case, glad to hear you had a good experience.  My plan is to get a fitting or a swing analysis from them in the spring .  The motion vest and what it adds to the video and resultant data really intrigues me.  It's actually a big reason I was thinking of making the 2+ hour drive to the nearest Golftec.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TwoCoatsOfWax said:

That's the first time I've heard Golftec referred to as the "Natty Light of golf lessons".

No, that's just my own warped sense of humor! Well, that plus my beer snobbishness (prefer craft IPAs) 😝

Their swing analysis can definitely be eye-opening .. ie. seeing in big red numbers the "feel vs real" of your swing..! Very worthwhile, imho. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the write-up @cksurfdude! My wife got me a swing evaluation for my birthday to check out the local Golftec and decide on whether a lesson package might be right for me.

• Like 2

Thx for reading, and really hope you get a good coach you "click with" so your eval goes well for you! Let us know......

• Like 2

I'd say you hit the nail on the head @cksurfdude! I've been going to GT for 2 years now and my hdcp went from 11 or 12 to a 9 currently, and I even got to an 8 for about a month last summer. I also buy the 'lessons only' package since I can swing in my garage or a golf dome (which has TopTracer now).  I've been able to use the hitting bay after a lesson a couple times if they don't have another person coming in. It's nice to be able to use those floor controls (green buttons) to review your swing and verify what you feel and what is really happening are the same. 

• Like 3

On 1/10/2020 at 2:52 PM, WillGolf4Food said:

I'd say you hit the nail on the head @cksurfdude! I've been going to GT for 2 years now and my hdcp went from 11 or 12 to a 9 currently, and I even got to an 8 for about a month last summer. I also buy the 'lessons only' package since I can swing in my garage or a golf dome (which has TopTracer now).  I've been able to use the hitting bay after a lesson a couple times if they don't have another person coming in. It's nice to be able to use those floor controls (green buttons) to review your swing and verify what you feel and what is really happening are the same. 

Thanks! And thx, too, about your positive experience. 

There have been several good mentions of Golftec in here so I'm definitely feeling much more comfortable now about putting my trust in my new coach!

• Like 1

A quick fyi: had another lesson today (more on that coming soon) and saw that the GolfTec I go to just got all new Mizuno golf balls (replacing the Callaway practice ones).

Oh, and - there's a nice upgrade coming out (sometime later this year) to the motion capture vest where it will become smaller and wireless (currently there's a "tail" of wires inside a flexible plastic conduit dragging behind you).

• Like 3