Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Hot Melt

who here does hot melt regularly? I understand the concept, but I have to be honest and say that it is something I am very hesitant to try. It seems so permanent and final. Screw it up and it can't be undone right? 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

Hot melt is an over priced glue gun with a non hardening glue. It's main purpose, add swing weight to raw heads. Most OEM heads have a little black rubber plug, most likely hot melt was added for your D2, D3 etc swing weight. You can add it to the heel or toe for a bias but, most hot melt jobs are for swing weight. It can be used to dampen sound too. The big difference between lead hosel weights and hot melt is COG will be lower in the head. Most of the time Hot Melt is added through the weight portal, or the black rubber plug. You can use RTV to close the hole back up if you drill it out. 

IMO...just add or subtract the OEM weights, lead tape etc. Hot melt is permanent, I'm sure you could add a solvent to the head and dissolve the glue but, not recommended.

Also, if I'm remembering my training, lead hosel weights move COG back toward the hosel. Please correct if someone knows differently

Enjoy your Hot Melting 👍🇺🇸⛳

Edited by 10shot

Hotmelt is great when it's needed. Especially for quieting really loud drivers. However, I prefer to use tip weights or heavier clubhead weights if at all possible when trying to get to a proper feel because it is so difficult to get the glue out if you overdo it. One always has to be careful, but hotmelt definitely has it's place in club fitting.

BT

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• 6 months later...
On 2/4/2020 at 3:45 AM, 10shot said:

Hot melt is an over priced glue gun with a non hardening glue. It's main purpose, add swing weight to raw heads. Most OEM heads have a little black rubber plug, most likely hot melt was added for your D2, D3 etc swing weight. You can add it to the heel or toe for a bias but, most hot melt jobs are for swing weight. It can be used to dampen sound too. The big difference between lead hosel weights and hot melt is COG will be lower in the head. Most of the time Hot Melt is added through the weight portal, or the black rubber plug. You can use RTV to close the hole back up if you drill it out. 

IMO...just add or subtract the OEM weights, lead tape etc. Hot melt is permanent, I'm sure you could add a solvent to the head and dissolve the glue but, not recommended.

Also, if I'm remembering my training, lead hosel weights move COG back toward the hosel. Please correct if someone knows differently

Enjoy your Hot Melting 👍🇺🇸⛳

Hello,  can you show the images of this hot melt or over priced glue gun as you say. Will be good. Thanks in advance.