The Distance Debate Reignited

Our Sponsors

4 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

There is too much money out there to "not" consider it. I just think claims based on changes made are dumb. I would not put it past anyone, including me to think about or look for some type of advantage... The reward far outweighs any risk in my mind.. 

... Then we just see things completely differently. My son needed max strength and speed to play college DE (1st team all conference) and never even considered steroids because he is highly intelligent and knows the risks faaaar out weigh the rewards. His major was kinesiology based and his minor nutrition based and knew a combination of exercise and diet was the key to not only performing his best, but avoiding injury which is one of the huge drawbacks of using steroids. He saw it time and time again with the kids that "cheated" and thought they were idiots to risk their futures. Bryson is no idiot. 

• Like 4

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM Max ... Diamana Limited 55R
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
                 SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33.5"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Look, here’s the rub. A big deal is being made out of Bryson’s length. Did any of you read the article about how he worked with Bridgestone to figure out SPECIFICALLY what his deviation from the rough

No matter how much courses and equipment are tweaked - better athletes with faster swing speeds are still going to dominate. What pisses me off about this entire "debate" is that the governing bo

lots to go through here so just going to add names of talking points. @chisag fully agree with bringing back original design of course, the difficult part of this is money, granted these big name

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Then we just see things completely differently. My son needed max strength and speed to play college DE (1st team all conference) and never even considered steroids because he is highly intelligent and knows the risks faaaar out weigh the rewards. His major was kinesiology based and his minor nutrition based and knew a combination of exercise and diet was the key to not only performing his best, but avoiding injury which is one of the huge drawbacks of using steroids. He saw it time and time again with the kids that "cheated" and thought they were idiots to risk their futures. Bryson is no idiot. 

I didnt say he "would" I said "consider".. That is a great story about your son. I commend him for is good decisions. But lets not pretend that if taking something was the difference from saying I was a college football player and saying I was a professional football player. You would not "consider, or think about it" hopefully the same decision would be made. But what that kind of reward it is silly to think it would not cross your mind. 

I was a college athlete once as well (oh too long ago). I also have never in my life taken anything. But I did "think" about it a few times. When you felt you just need a couple % more and you would be at the top.. 

I don't think Bryson "has" taken anything. I don't know if he has "thought" about it. I am simply saying, I would not be surprised if he had "thought" about.. 

That Masters jacket brings with it a lot of perks in life.. 

• Haha 1

Driver: SIM 9 Motore X F1 7X tipped 1 inch

Utility Iron: Cobra King Utility irons 18 degree Aldila rogue 90 X

Irons: Cobra King forged CB 4-PW KBS $ Taper 130 X

Wedges: Cleveland 49,52.58.64

Putter: Kronos Release.

21 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

I didnt say he "would" I said "consider".. That is a great story about your son. I commend him for is good decisions. But lets not pretend that if taking something was the difference from saying I was a college football player and saying I was a professional football player. You would not "consider, or think about it" hopefully the same decision would be made. But what that kind of reward it is silly to think it would not cross your mind. 

I was a college athlete once as well (oh too long ago). I also have never in my life taken anything. But I did "think" about it a few times. When you felt you just need a couple % more and you would be at the top.. 

I don't think Bryson "has" taken anything. I don't know if he has "thought" about it. I am simply saying, I would not be surprised if he had "thought" about.. 

That Masters jacket brings with it a lot of perks in life.. 

... Oh I get it and agree with you, there are many that do not qualify for Mensa and would take any route possible to increase their chances of getting to where they want to be. We now know the ramifications of repeated head contact and CTE's effect without ever even having a concussion but people still play longer than they should. This was the reason my son turned down an offer from the Colts to become a special teams player with a shot at playing OLB. There are also tons of athletes coming from a poor economic background and this may be their only shot at financial success and think steroids might help them. But as simple as possible my son explained to me the human body is an amazing mechanism and if you put in the right amount of training with the right diet, you give yourself the best chance at not only immediate success, but long term success both on the field of choice and in life. "Cheating" the brain by by passing the natural order of say lifting and becoming stronger naturally so mind and body is in sync, by taking steroids the brain thinks the body is capable of more than it is and one of the main reasons injuries occur with steroids. Sure muscles become stronger but ligaments and tendons bare weakened and susceptible to injury. 

... All that said, my son saw plenty of steroid use in high school and college. Usually the same guys that were eating McDonalds while he was eating grass fed beef/pork and getting the right combination of organic vegetables, limited organic grains and no sugar. But to your "thought about it" coments I completely understand because obviously my son "thought about it" and that's exactly why he did the research to find out the risks and rewards. Many do not do the research. I just don't think Bryson does anything without weight the benefits and drawbacks and I have little doubt he looked into steroids and anything else that may benefit him playing golf, but I think he is much too smart to take a chance with his future. 

• Like 3

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM Max ... Diamana Limited 55R
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
                 SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33.5"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5

3 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Oh I get it and agree with you, there are many that do not qualify for Mensa and would take any route possible to increase their chances of getting to where they want to be. We now know the ramifications of repeated head contact and CTE's effect without ever even having a concussion but people still play longer than they should. This was the reason my son turned down an offer from the Colts to become a special teams player with a shot at playing OLB. There are also tons of athletes coming from a poor economic background and this may be their only shot at financial success and think steroids might help them. But as simple as possible my son explained to me the human body is an amazing mechanism and if you put in the right amount of training with the right diet, you give yourself the best chance at not only immediate success, but long term success both on the field of choice and in life. "Cheating" the brain by by passing the natural order of say lifting and becoming stronger naturally so mind and body is in sync, by taking steroids the brain thinks the body is capable of more than it is and one of the main reasons injuries occur with steroids. Sure muscles become stronger but ligaments and tendons bare weakened and susceptible to injury. 

... All that said, my son saw plenty of steroid use in high school and college. Usually the same guys that were eating McDonalds while he was eating grass fed beef/pork and getting the right combination of organic vegetables, limited organic grains and no sugar. But to your "thought about it" coments I completely understand because obviously my son "thought about it" and that's exactly why he did the research to find out the risks and rewards. Many do not do the research. 

!00% agree with everything you said. That is the same conclusion I came to after I thought about it some. 

• Like 1

Driver: SIM 9 Motore X F1 7X tipped 1 inch

Utility Iron: Cobra King Utility irons 18 degree Aldila rogue 90 X

Irons: Cobra King forged CB 4-PW KBS $ Taper 130 X

Wedges: Cleveland 49,52.58.64

Putter: Kronos Release.

The game will always advance, and players will change the way that they play based on the new regulations and the evolution of skill, athleticism, and statistics.

I think that's an important point to consider - with modern statistical analysis, we are seeing strategies that previously were believed to be poor, to actually be very effective. We all know that "Drive for show, putt for dough" isn't actually true. Earlier in this thread someone mentioned basketball adding the 3-point line. Many years later, people are complaining about that because you end up with Harden playing iso-ball and chucking up a 3-pointer on every possession because the analysis says that's the best way to win.

The leagues are in the business of providing entertainment, but the player's aren't - they're in the business of winning and making money. The ones who are the most serious about winning will do whatever the analytics say will improve their odds, regardless of what other players or fans think.

Check out my review of the  EXPUTT Putting Simulator

Driver - :nike-small: Vapor Speed, 9.5°, Fubuki Z50 S
Hybrid - Warrior 3H

Irons - :wilson_staff_small: D200 5-GW, uniflex, std length/loft/lie
Wedges - :cleveland-small: CBX 52°, 58°
Putter - :1332069271_TommyArmour: Torch 03 w/ GolfPride Tour SNSR Contour Pro grip

Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV

Without getting too off-track, I kind of feel like the issue with Harden playing iso-ball is less to do with tossing up 3 pointers constantly than him taking advantage of the NBA's refusal to enforce traveling to a insane degree. Many of his step-back motions are textbook travels but the NBA refuses to enforce them. There's also the leaning into fouls thing.

I suppose people can make the same argument regarding Bryson and the Tour's refusal to enforce slow play, but suffice it to say, both are using advanced stats to play their respective sports at extremely high levels. I don't think either would struggle too long if their respective sports decided to actually enforce the rules the pair of them are straddling the line of.

The game will always advance, and players will change the way that they play based on the new regulations and the evolution of skill, athleticism, and statistics.
I think that's an important point to consider - with modern statistical analysis, we are seeing strategies that previously were believed to be poor, to actually be very effective. We all know that "Drive for show, putt for dough" isn't actually true. Earlier in this thread someone mentioned basketball adding the 3-point line. Many years later, people are complaining about that because you end up with Harden playing iso-ball and chucking up a 3-pointer on every possession because the analysis says that's the best way to win.
The leagues are in the business of providing entertainment, but the player's aren't - they're in the business of winning and making money. The ones who are the most serious about winning will do whatever the analytics say will improve their odds, regardless of what other players or fans think.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"If" things are kept just as they are... what good is new equipment if there is nothing to gain from it? What will manufacturers of golf equipment market new product on if things are kept just as they are?  I have no problem with it as far as distance goes. That only leaves dispersion/accuracy as the only "improvements" for equipment manufacturers, as far as I can see. Am I missing something? Thoughts?

2 hours ago, silver & black said:

"If" things are kept just as they are... what good is new equipment if there is nothing to gain from it? What will manufacturers of golf equipment market new product on if things are kept just as they are?  I have no problem with it as far as distance goes. That only leaves dispersion/accuracy as the only "improvements" for equipment manufacturers, as far as I can see. Am I missing something? Thoughts?

My thought is that  a LOT of players could use dispersion/accuracy improvement every bit as much as distance... so still plenty of meat on the bone.  

• Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

11 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

My thought is that  a LOT of players could use dispersion/accuracy improvement every bit as much as distance... so still plenty of meat on the bone.  

I agree. I wish the focus was more on this than distance.

• Like 1
On 10/2/2020 at 5:39 PM, silver & black said:

The point of keeping things the way they are is simply that. Current drivers have to meet a CT requirement (among many other specifications), but companies are increasing distance by building more forgiveness (ball speed retention) into their products. Let them continue down this path until it's tapped, but don't roll back current limits and restrictions; keep them as-is and let the chips fall. There are other ways to challenge the professional and elite amateur ranks without diminishing the experience for recreational golfers.

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Pro S300
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura 6m 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag