Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Need an Official Ruling (odd scenario)

So while playing yesterday, my 3w second shot on the par 5 #2 found the left fence line.  It was far enough from the fence so as not to impede my swing... but that wasn't the problem.  One of the maintenance guys was spraying a mustard yellow herbicide concoction along the fence, out into the course a generous 4 feet, and slathered by Pro V1 😐.  I chose to pick up, clean and take relief so that I wasn't standing in and hitting through the affected area.  

Not that doing otherwise even crossed my mind, but we got to talking about what the official ruling on this would be?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

Mustard yellow herbicide concoction - yuck. Agronomy chemicals are not specifically referenced by the USGA but I think you could potentially make a dangerous/abnormal course condition argument.

In a tournament setting, I believe the rules committee would technically have to pre-designate freshly sprayed areas as a “no play zone” to guarantee nearest point of relief without penalty. 

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

I agree with @downlowkey, chemical application wouldn't fit the criteria for free relief under the rules as written.  The Committee certainly could define areas of heavy chemical application as GUR, and as a No Play Zone if appropriate, to allow free relief.  In your shoes, for a casual round, I'd probably have made the same decision.  On the other hand, don't you wonder how often you stood in areas that had been sprayed hours earlier, instead of only minutes?  I don't go out of my way to expose myself to chemicals, but to some extent its unavoidable on a golf course.  I do think they've developed modern chemicals that present far less severe hazards to golfers, perhaps someone can confirm that.

Edited by DaveP043

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

31 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

In your shoes, for a casual round, I'd probably have made the same decision.  On the other hand, don't you wonder how often you stood in areas that had been sprayed hours earlier, instead of only minutes?

I've played courses recently that put out signage regarding recent application of herbicides, insecticides, etc.  Last summer I played a course in NV that left bluish-green striping roll lines on putted balls.  We asked about it at the turn and they said it was a spray fertilizer that normally does not do this unless recently wetted... a rain shower had passed by just before we started. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

It should be considered ground under repair

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

6 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I've played courses recently that put out signage regarding recent application of herbicides, insecticides, etc.  Last summer I played a course in NV that left bluish-green striping roll lines on putted balls.  We asked about it at the turn and they said it was a spray fertilizer that normally does not do this unless recently wetted... a rain shower had passed by just before we started. 

We have the same blue-green liquid sprayed on the greens at my course periodically, maybe once a month during the warm months.  It's only noticeable if you are an early player.  Once it dries, it doesn't leave color on balls or putter.  I thought it was a fungicide.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”