Testers Announced! Stix Golf Sets ×

Consistent Toe Contacts!

Hi, recently ive been hitting my irons off the toe really bad but i dont know why. 

My swing is very much like a Justin Thomas (im about the same height as him), very upright, and fire my hip really early.

I plays my irons 1 degree flat.

I am suspecting 2 things that could be the problem,

1. Because of the hip firing early, my left heel is off the ground at impact, sometime it even jump backward. (like a Kyle Bershire move) However this is unlikely because ive been playing like this my whole life.

2. Is that my club are too flat for me, Im not sure but i think upright swingers need an upright lie angle. (JT and DJ plays 1 deg up from what i read)

What do you think is the problem? Thanks for your helps!

Its really impossible for anyone to tell you without seeing your swing.  If you have video, some knowledgeable folks might be able to help a little, but in most cases what a player feels like he's doing is different from what he's actually doing.    

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Video your swing and note how high your head is at impact vs address. You may be “standing up” at some point in your swing. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

I’m no expert, but from what I’ve seen/read early extension is usually the culprit. 

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

3 hours ago, Louielouie said:

Hi, recently ive been hitting my irons off the toe really bad but i dont know why. 

My swing is very much like a Justin Thomas (im about the same height as him), very upright, and fire my hip really early.

I plays my irons 1 degree flat.

I am suspecting 2 things that could be the problem,

1. Because of the hip firing early, my left heel is off the ground at impact, sometime it even jump backward. (like a Kyle Bershire move) However this is unlikely because ive been playing like this my whole life.

2. Is that my club are too flat for me, Im not sure but i think upright swingers need an upright lie angle. (JT and DJ plays 1 deg up from what i read)

What do you think is the problem? Thanks for your helps!

More than likely it’s number 1 and it’s causing you to get stuck and have to stall the hips, stand up and throw your arms hands at the ball and this causes a high handle which results in the toe hits.

Post a swing

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

3 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Yup, two common visible faults, goat-humping leading to early extension.  But what causes THOSE?

Balance points being off usually too far on the toes at setup causing lack of rotation in the swing. Depending on how the golfer reacts they will have a steep shaft that going to cause them to get stuck, many times dumping the back shoulder then have to manipulate the arms and hands to get to the ball. If the don’t dump the shoulder early it’s just standing up at that point 

When my swing is off these are my faults.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

3 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Balance points being off usually too far on the toes at setup causing lack of rotation in the swing. Depending on how the golfer reacts they will have a steep shaft that going to cause them to get stuck, many times dumping the back shoulder then have to manipulate the arms and hands to get to the ball. If the don’t dump the shoulder early it’s just standing up at that point 

When my swing is off these are my faults.

In my own swing, I used to set up with too much knee flex.  I could move laterally in the forward swing, but the knee flex limited my hip rotation, which caused ME to flip, creating inconsistent contact.  So many root causes that can cause a similar visual "fault".

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

10 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

In my own swing, I used to set up with too much knee flex.  I could move laterally in the forward swing, but the knee flex limited my hip rotation, which caused ME to flip, creating inconsistent contact.  So many root causes that can cause a similar visual "fault".

That’s another potential cause for the early extension too. Iirc Monte gets into the too much knee flex in his efficient swing video and the recently released early extension. Several YouTube instructors talk about it as well as the weight being too far over the toes. Both are pretty common amongst us amateurs 

17 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

More than likely it’s number 1 and it’s causing you to get stuck and have to stall the hips, stand up and throw your arms hands at the ball and this causes a high handle which results in the toe hits.

Post a swing

My town just go back in to quarantine so i cant post a swing right now but i will as soon as possible! 

I pretty sure that in my swing my back kinda back away from the ball which means that im further away. I should add this whenever i would feel like im re-routing the club (like a matt wolf swing) i would hit it flush. That make me hook the ball but its flush every-time.

5 hours ago, Louielouie said:

My town just go back in to quarantine so i cant post a swing right now but i will as soon as possible! 

I pretty sure that in my swing my back kinda back away from the ball which means that im further away. I should add this whenever i would feel like im re-routing the club (like a matt wolf swing) i would hit it flush. That make me hook the ball but its flush every-time.

By re-routing the club like Matt Wolf, I am picturing you just shallowing out your swing, making sure you don't come in as steep.  This would give you the tendency to draw or hook more.  That's not a bad thing.  It also sounds like you are not throwing your hands down at the ball anymore either when you do this.  Again, it is hard to tell without a video.  

Back in quarantine...what town? 

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

8 hours ago, ballplayer002003 said:

By re-routing the club like Matt Wolf, I am picturing you just shallowing out your swing, making sure you don't come in as steep.  This would give you the tendency to draw or hook more.  That's not a bad thing.  It also sounds like you are not throwing your hands down at the ball anymore either when you do this.  Again, it is hard to tell without a video.  

Back in quarantine...what town? 

Yup I get it so basically I’m coming in too steep. So I just need to find that balance for shallowing so that I’m not going to hook it. 

um I live in Australia. 

Thank you so much for your helps!

14 hours ago, Louielouie said:

Ah, the flushed hook. If I had a nickel...

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

13 hours ago, Louielouie said:

Yup I get it so basically I’m coming in too steep. So I just need to find that balance for shallowing so that I’m not going to hook it. 

um I live in Australia. 

Thank you so much for your helps!

Australia...ummmm ok.  haha Hope you guys get out soon and they lift it.  

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

When I hit on the toe, am coming over the top. 

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS