Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Cleveland Golf's "Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour Issue" Shaft

If you are looking at the Cleveland RTX Zipcore, or the brand new Cleveland RTX Full Face, you may be curious about the stock shaft, dubbed the "Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour Issue".

From what I can tell, it is the exact same shaft as the "Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue" that Cleveland put in the RTX4 wedges, except soft stepped once. Photo below comparing the two, all the steps align exactly, the tip is 1/2 longer on the "spinner". I guess "Spinner" sounds better than "Tour Issue 8 Iron" 😎.

IMG_4547.jpg.ce8873ff01995b5b14bb10294a9d9d56.jpg

Not trying to bag on Cleveland with this post, I actually have a KBS 120 8 iron shaft in my RTX4, just wanted to toss this out there in case anyone wanted to know what was in the mystery meat.

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

https://www.truetempersports.com/en-us/golf/golf/steel-iron-shafts/dynamic-gold-steel-shafts/dynamic-gold-spinner.html

For years, there has been a little-known trick used on Tour to increase wedge spin when needed: a longer length shaft. On Tour, these longer length shafts are referred to as “Spinners”. Using a longer length shaft not only increases tip flexibility but also reduces total shaft weight, resulting in a higher spinning wedge than a wedge with a standard-length shaft. True Temper is now bringing this Tour secret to the rest of the golfing world with the new Dynamic Gold Spinner shaft. When compared to the Tour’s leading Dynamic Gold S400, Dynamic Gold Spinner features a 5% weight reduction and longer, more active tip section to maximize spin and give you Tour player stopping power.”

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

• 1 month later...

So, the “spinner” trick is to put an X100 8i into the wedges for an S300 iron shaft player. That is, you go up in flex once then soft step.

I play KBS Tour regular (110) in irons, and 8i KBS Tour stiff (120) shafts in wedges. That’s what I was told to do.

The “Tour issue spinner” is an S300 8i, meaning, shouldn’t it be basically suited for a “full weight” dynamic gold r300 player?

Why do so many your pros go the other way? X100 in irons down to s400 in wedges? Why don’t we see X7 8i shafts in their wedges? 

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

7 minutes ago, Grit Golf said:

So, the “spinner” trick is to put an X100 8i into the wedges for an S300 iron shaft player. That is, you go up in flex once then soft step.

I play KBS Tour regular (110) in irons, and 8i KBS Tour stiff (120) shafts in wedges. That’s what I was told to do.

The “Tour issue spinner” is an S300 8i, meaning, shouldn’t it be basically suited for a “full weight” dynamic gold r300 player?

Why do so many your pros go the other way? X100 in irons down to s400 in wedges? Why don’t we see X7 8i shafts in their wedges? 

Trying to figure all this out but where in the article does it say that you go up a flex and soft step?  All I read was a longer shaft and slight weight reduction.  So technically it would be suited for a s400 or x100 player right?  Maybe I’m not understanding what I’m reading. 🤷🏻‍♂️

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

I’m referencing the “8i spinner” or “Rifle Precision Spinner” trick:

“Many years ago I learned in Royal Precision Rifle Shaft Certification class how to create the Rifle Spinner Wedge Shaft. The formula was simple, go up a flex and use the 8 iron.”

https://www.golfshaftreviews.info/kbs-wedge-golf-shafts/

I guess this gives a very similar overall CPM but a more active tip section (without feeling completely alien to the iron shafts of one lesser flex). There’s lots of people saying to put an X100 8i into the wedges if you play S300, etc. This is what I was taught.

However, a ton of pros plays X100 in the irons, and many of them gravitate to S400 (supposedly tip trimmed 3/8”) in the wedges. This gets called “Tiger Stepping” or “Vokey stepping” (depending on the post). I’m guessing this also CPMs a little softer overall without an over soft tip section?

Finally, we now have the “Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Spinner”, which is an S300 8i. It is neither the “8i spinner” trick (unless you play R300), nor is it “Tiger Stepping” for the X100 player (because it is 1.75 steps softer than a 3/8” tip trimmed S300 PW/9i shaft). 

True Temper and Cleveland Golf generally know what they are doing, but in this case it seems like the “Dynamic Gold Tour issue spinner” is a mass market shaft meant for the R300 (average swing speed player)?

Edited by Grit Golf

I guess what I’m saying is this shaft from True Temper isn’t the “8i spinner trick” and it’s not “Tiger stepping” (which are different things from what I understand).

All it is, is a slightly lighter, slightly softer (relative to Vokey and Callaway stock shafts) mass market wedge shaft meant to fit average swing speed golfers. The tour issue verbiage is marketing, this product is aimed at the middle of the bell curve, club golfers with a 95mph driver speed.

21 minutes ago, Grit Golf said:

I guess what I’m saying is this shaft from True Temper isn’t the “8i spinner trick” and it’s not “Tiger stepping” (which are different things from what I understand).

All it is, is a slightly lighter, slightly softer (relative to Vokey and Callaway stock shafts) mass market wedge shaft meant to fit average swing speed golfers. The tour issue verbiage is marketing, this product is aimed at the middle of the bell curve, club golfers with a 95mph driver speed.

Tour issue verbiage is thrown around for marketing by many oems not just Cleveland so I don’t really see the issue there. 

As for the tour issue spinner shaft being aimed at the middle of the bell curve 95mph driver guy,  I don’t agree. I swing 110+ and love everything about the ti spinner shaft in my full face Zipcore.  I have never been a high wedge spin guy and the little bit of help I get from the shaft has been welcomed. That is who the shaft is aimed at. Driver speed or any club speed has nothing to do with it. 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

If it works for you, it works for you. It is a softer overall shaft than the stock shaft in a Vokey or a Callaway - that's all I'm saying.

On 7/20/2021 at 6:28 PM, Grit Golf said:

Up in flex is very unconventional. As you hinted at, most pros play wedges shafts that are softer than their iron shafts. Just looking at a couple recent winners and WITB: Cam Champ playing X7 in irons and s400 in wedges, Morikawa X100 in irons and s400 in wedges, Oosthuizen X100 irons and s400 wedges, Rory rifle 7.0 in irons and 6.5 in wedges. 

The reason is the softer flex in the tip section generates more spin.

The difficult part in club building is that players typically prefer the wedge shaft to weigh more than an iron shaft. Thats why S400s are so popular on tour where plenty of guys are using 120-130 gram iron shafts. There arent a whole lot of other options in something heavier than 130 grams and not an X flex. 

Additionally, the tour spinner shaft is absolutely not for the average golfer with 110 gram irons shafts and sub 95 speed. Callaway is mostly using a DG 115 wedge shaft which is more of that bell curve you were talking about. I believe stock Vokey is S200, which is also softer. Taylormade is using KBS 115 and S200. The DG spinner is still low launching and 128 grams. Yes, it it soft stepped, but still quite stout for a stock shaft. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

• 1 month later...

Here's the data I found:

446940129_ScreenShot2021-09-07at1_52_03PM.png.97d583c91528a725bce82ebdf901ea91.png

It's like 3% max more stiff than a REGULAR flex XP115 wedge shaft (21,500 vs 22,500). The tip section is slightly stiffer in the XP115 REGULAR flex, but overall they should launch about the same based on the EI progression.

I was curious about weight, so i cut the grip off one I had laying around. CUT - It weighed in at 113g with the ferrule cap on. For reference, a KBS tour regular (110) PW shaft weighs in at 105g cut w a ferrule cap on.

unnamed.jpg.1808e4c91f5714b5080c644d5564e9f8.jpg

I don't think this shaft is very different from the "mass market" shafts you mention (DG 115, KBS 115, etc). Which is what I'm trying to say.

Original EI image here, had to screen grab, scale, and map curves on a common axis to produce what you see above.

TrueTemperProgressive.gif.511516b50ff7128f2653ebdf069ff307.gif

If it works for you - fantastic, it's not a bad shaft. This is just data, no judgments attached.