Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Pro V1x left dash vs AVX

JDGolfer91

Hello all, 

After playing golf casually for a couple years I started to pay more attention to the equipment I used and found what works best for my game. As a new golfer struggling to keep the ball down and reduce spin I fell in love with the AVX ball.

Fast forward 2 years to now and I am a 9.2 HDCP with more control and ability to keep spin down when needed and control flight. I still love the soft feel of the AVX but with a driver swing speed between 110-115mph I’m afraid that I’m losing performance/distance with the AVX. 

Would I be better suited using the PROV1x Left dash? 

Thanks in advance! God Bless. 

-Josh

JDGolfer91

I have a driver swing only a few mph slower than yours and I don't lose anything with the AVX. It's when the balls get below 75 compression that I start to notice a distance loss, and I believe the AVX sits around 80 compression.

You're not going to pick up a ton of distance by switching to a firmer ball, maybe half a club tops. If you are looking at performance benefits look at shots into the green and chipping. I play a medium spin Z-Star/ProV1. I play to the front of a green and let the ball bounce once and stop. If I switched to a high spin ball like Left Dash, I could have problems keeping the ball on the green. It could spin too much and rip back off the front. Or I need to change my approach and get the ball back there. If I play a low spin ball, maybe it helps me reach a few more back pins with a little more release.

I'm trying to give you advice I should listen to. Ever since MGS released the ball lab data this summer, I've been going around and around trying to find THE BALL. And I just can't come to any strong conclusions. Stick with one ball so that you can trust the way it performs. All the major OEMs offer such high quality product in their top of the line, your not going to be disappointed with what you choose. Actually you may not like the firm feel of the X balls after playing the AVX for so long.

If you want something more actionable find a Golf Galaxy or PGA Superstore to do a ball fitting. Or maybe, look for something that performs like AVX, but costs much less than $50/doz. Help the wallet out a bit.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

1 hour ago, JDGolfer91 said:

Hello all, 

After playing golf casually for a couple years I started to pay more attention to the equipment I used and found what works best for my game. As a new golfer struggling to keep the ball down and reduce spin I fell in love with the AVX ball.

Fast forward 2 years to now and I am a 9.2 HDCP with more control and ability to keep spin down when needed and control flight. I still love the soft feel of the AVX but with a driver swing speed between 110-115mph I’m afraid that I’m losing performance/distance with the AVX. 

-Josh

I know someone that has a higher swing speed than you that the avx suits him well because of his launch and spin. He also did a Bridgestone fitting and surprisingly was fit in the BRX.

There’s no absolutes in golf and judging anything purely by swing speed is close to useless. One has too look at what that swing speed produces based on how the club is delivered to the ball and the launch characteristics it produces. Also basing off handicap is almost as useless. I know low digit handicaps that can’t hit the ball 250 off the tee but their iron and wedge game are above average and they rarely 3 putt.

When it comes to ball decisions you have to look at iron results with the ball, partial shots and on/around the green.

There’s nobody here that can say a certain ball is going to perform better or if you are giving anything up by playing a ball. What’s not to say the Prov1 or provo1 left dot isn’t a better ball over the avx or the left dash.

You need to test them side by side for tee game, long iron, mid iron, short iron, wedge and green game and see what performs best for you. One may be better in one area than the other and you would have to decide what sacrifices you are willing to make for what works best from tee to green

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I would echo the Z Star and RX as primary recommendations, similar compression as AVX and with your SS you should see similar spin numbers and maybe a tad more distance (~5yds). If those aren't for you I would look at the Titleist Tour Speed or current Chromesoft (they maybe redesigning for next year, someone correct me if I'm wrong?), you would likely see a bit of distance benefit, similar spin and compression as well.

15 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

If I switched to a high spin ball like Left Dash, I could have problems keeping the ball on the green. It could spin too much and rip back off the front. Or I need to change my approach and get the ball back there. If I play a low spin ball, maybe it helps me reach a few more back pins with a little more release.

Not sure if this is a typo but the left dash isn’t a high spin ball. Both the left dash and avx are lower spin than the Prov1 and prov1x.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

If you're trying to keep spin off but want to pick up some distance, my recs, in order, would be OnCore VeroX1, Taylormade Tour Response, and Cally Chromesoft. The OnCore ball is really interesting. It was too low spin off the driver for me, but when I would catch it a little low on the face (which adds spin) it was a bomber. Half to full club longer on irons. The Tour Response was too mushy for me, but if you like the AVX, the Tour Response might be right up your alley, especially at its sub-$40 price point.

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

On 12/6/2021 at 3:26 PM, JDGolfer91 said:

Hello all, 

-Josh

Left dash is great off the tee according to basically everyone. I use a Z star and Bridgestone Tour B XS mostly. I also dabble with BX and B RX and the odd pro V1. Driver distance is a mix of launch and spin which needs to be tested on the course to see ball flight. At the end of the day, I assume you are trying to lower your handicap and shoot the lowest scores. The best ball off the tee might perform poorly around the green for you and on approaches. You need to test balls on the course and see which consistently provide best scores. That is the XS for me even if 1 or 2 balls may work slightly better off the tee. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

On 12/7/2021 at 9:33 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Not sure if this is a typo but the left dash isn’t a high spin ball. Both the left dash and avx are lower spin than the Prov1 and prov1x.

I meant that the firmer X balls are higher spinning on full approach shots. Thank you for clarifying for OP that the left dash is low spin ball, I did slightly misspeak.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star