Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Regripping and Swing weight change

I replaced the grips on my clubs. I have Cobra F8's and love them. They had Lamkin REL's with Arccos in the grips. I changed to Non Arccos grips. while playing this last weekend they felt off. Head felt heavier, I did my research Lamkin REL's weigh 52g.. I did not take into account the Arccos, the Lamkin grips with Arccos come in at 65g. I know the extra weight from the Arccos grips will effect swing weight, But how much now that I do not have them?? Cobra F8's with Steel shafts should be D1, I love them but now they feel Way to heavy.. How much did I change the swing weight and is there an easy fix?? 

@McGolf, any thoughts, or Help..  Thanks

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

2 minutes ago, Reesedw said:

I I did my research Lamkin REL's weigh 52g.. I did not take into account the Arccos, the Lamkin grips with Arccos come in at 65g. I know the extra weight from the Arccos grips will effect swing weight, But how much now that I do not have them?? Cobra F8's with Steel shafts should be D1, I love them but now they feel Way to heavy.. How much did I change the swing weight and is there an easy fix?? 

Every 4 grams +/- will alter the swing weight of a club by 1 swing weight.  You decreased by 13 so that is about 3 SW points.   If they were D1 they are now about D4. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

8 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Every 4 grams +/- will alter the swing weight of a club by 1 swing weight.  You decreased by 13 so that is about 3 SW points.   If they were D1 they are now about D4. 

How will the heavier swing weight effect my consistency and distance.. I noticed I was more inconsistent than usual and also not as long, but i chocked that up to mid 90s heat and a few beers (which I know i get careless with my swing after a few). I'm guessing the heavier weight would slow down my swing but should also make my contact more consistent... or is it that my timing is now off and I need to either add weight or adjust myself?? 

Dave-

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

25 minutes ago, Reesedw said:

How will the heavier swing weight effect my consistency and distance.. I noticed I was more inconsistent than usual and also not as long, but i chocked that up to mid 90s heat and a few beers (which I know i get careless with my swing after a few). I'm guessing the heavier weight would slow down my swing but should also make my contact more consistent... or is it that my timing is now off and I need to either add weight or adjust myself?? 

There really isn’t a definitive answer.  Some people may be more co distant and faster; some slower and less consistent, some faster and less consistent, and some slower and more consistent.   Everything about a club is how you react to it.  

as a suggestion, nickels weigh 5 grams so you could tape a couple to the butt end of the club and see if that helps with your noticed inconsistencies.  The nickels and tape should get you close to the 13 grams you lost.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

48 minutes ago, cnosil said:

There really isn’t a definitive answer.  Some people may be more co distant and faster; some slower and less consistent, some faster and less consistent, and some slower and more consistent.   Everything about a club is how you react to it.  

as a suggestion, nickels weigh 5 grams so you could tape a couple to the butt end of the club and see if that helps with your noticed inconsistencies.  The nickels and tape should get you close to the 13 grams you lost.  

Thanks I'll give that a try to see if it helps.. 

Dave-

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

On 6/28/2022 at 11:55 AM, Reesedw said:

I replaced the grips on my clubs. I have Cobra F8's and love them. They had Lamkin REL's with Arccos in the grips. I changed to Non Arccos grips. while playing this last weekend they felt off. Head felt heavier, I did my research Lamkin REL's weigh 52g.. I did not take into account the Arccos, the Lamkin grips with Arccos come in at 65g. I know the extra weight from the Arccos grips will effect swing weight, But how much now that I do not have them?? Cobra F8's with Steel shafts should be D1, I love them but now they feel Way to heavy.. How much did I change the swing weight and is there an easy fix?? 

at just over 12 grams you should see a change of about 3 sw pt. That is a the point when most avid golfers may feel a noticeable difference in the "feel" of the clubs. The other part of the equation is the accros grip is also a bit longer to accept the disk. if you are using the club to the end of the grip it may also through of the "feel" of the club and affect it by maybe a swing point,,,, maybe.

If you want to make the club feel lighter you can do a few things:

1) take the grips off and put a strip of lead tape under the fingers equal to the 10 grams. The Swing weight will not come back as measured but the feel of the weight in the grip will.

2) golf works used to sell tour lock weights. and easy way to place weight in the butt of the club. Balance certified is my choice but a bit more $$$$.

Id take the clubs out a few more times to see if you can get used to it. If not try back weighting.

If you are a smoother less aggressive swing the added feel of the weight can throw you off. If you are average or more aggressive in this area it may be better and take a few more swings to get used too.

Edited by McGolf

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

44 minutes ago, McGolf said:

at just over 12 grams you should see a change of about 3 sw pt. That is a the point when most avid golfers may feel a noticeable difference in the "feel" of the clubs. The other part of the equation is the accros grip is also a bit longer to accept the disk. if you are using the club to the end of the grip it may also through of the "feel" of the club and affect it by maybe a swing point,,,, maybe.

If you want to make the club feel lighter you can do a few things:

1) take the grips off and put a strip of lead tape under the fingers equal to the 10 grams. The Swing weight will not come back as measured but the feel of the weight in the grip will.

2) golf works used to sell tour lock weights. and easy way to place weight in the butt of the club. Balance certified is my choice but a bit more $$$$.

Id take the clubs out a few more times to see if you can get used to it. If not try back weighting.

If you are a smoother less aggressive swing the added feel of the weight can throw you off. If you are average or more aggressive in this area it may be better and take a few more swings to get used too.

I think I'll be playing them for a little while to see how I like them and if it helps or hinders, and make a decision at that point.. Thanks 

Dave-

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.