Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Are Golfers Finally Starting to Balk At Driver Prices?

4 hours ago, FreddyTheBearCat said:

I think the golf content creators have a bit to do with it as well.  When Rick Shiels hits an old WarBird 300 yards you think, maybe it's me, not my driver lol when Peter Finch plays a round with actual hickory shafted clubs and makes par....I think people realize, as much as you want to, you can't buy a golf game.

This. They do so many comparisons where the conclusion is, is your driver is 4-5 years old you may see a benefit, otherwise, keep what you got.

Driver: Ping G425 LST, Otto Phlex UST MP5 or GD AD-TP 6X

3 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@16 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder

5 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@20 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder 

4i Hybrid: Titleist 913h (@24 deg), Diamana Blue Board hybrid

Irons: Taylormade P790 (5-6) & P770 (7-AW), KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 1x)

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 TW grind 56 (@55) & 60, KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 2x)

Putter: Sacks Parente 91 aka "The Duke", 34 inches

Ball: Taylormade TP5

I would venture to guess that most people would still be sporting the same handicap a year after their latest purchase of a new driver. Just sayin.

Titleist TSi2 with HZRDUS SMOKE RDX shaft, Titleist 917 16.5* FW, Mavrik Pro 20* & 23* HBs, Cobra King Tour (2020) 5-P with KBS $-Taper 120g shafts, King MIM 50*, Titleist SM8 54* and 58*, Odyssey #7 O-Works

I don’t know if others have said it, but for me, the more I play, the less I think about new clubs, and the less I play, the more I think a new driver will be the highway to happiness.

Also, It’s hard (impossible) for me to spend $$$ on a new driver, and have the budget to play every week in NJ. Even if new was $300 I’m not sure I would buy.

Still, I like learning about the tech, the testing, and find the engineering behind everything very cool, so I 100% get why people buy the new new, It just doesn’t bring me the same joy as playing. 

:ping-small: g430 lst

:titleist-small: TS2 20* hybrid, New Level PF-2: P-7; 902: 6-5

:taylormade-small: hi-toe 51* and 57*

:mizuno-small: M Craft IV

I would like to think that a boycott  of some sort would have an effect and drive the price down.  But then I have personal knowledge of situations like this...  A friend of my oldest brother who plays with us not infrequently just went to the local golf show and bought a "new driver".  Now I am not judging, and if someone has the money and its what they want to spend their money on so be it.  I just think this will keep the prices as they are or keep going up incrementally.

Just for clarity he is a great guy, likely around my brothers age 66.  He is someone who up until playing with my brother, who we convinced to play up, almost never did.   He also has a backswing which is lucky to get to 10 o'clock, has very little turn, and struggles, to get the ball airborne.  

He became convinced that a new driver was what he needed.  I have seen this conviction with many people who have come and gone from my golfing life.  Many younger,  and of differing skill levels.  I believe there are enough people like this who believe equipment, and not practice, is the answer to keep prices rising well into the future. 

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

20 minutes ago, stuka44 said:

He became convinced that a new driver was what he needed.  I have seen this conviction with many people who have come and gone from my golfing life.  Many younger,  and of differing skill levels.  I believe there are enough people like this who believe equipment, and not practice, is the answer to keep prices rising well into the future. 

... Aside from those playing with an ill fitting driver and there are far too many out there, I do think there is a distinction between those that think they need a new driver and those that just want a new driver. Needing a new driver and believing it will magically increase performance. Wanting a new driver for a new look, feel or just a change of pace and if it somehow increases performance a little that is just icing on the cake but not the reason for their purchase. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

18 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Aside from those playing with an ill fitting driver and there are far too many out there, I do think there is a distinction between those that think they need a new driver and those that just want a new driver. Needing a new driver and believing it will magically increase performance. Wanting a new driver for a new look, feel or just a change of pace and if it somehow increases performance a little that is just icing on the cake but not the reason for their purchase. 

Agreed. There are plenty of golfers out there that just want to always have the latest-greatest. Enough to keep the OEMs happy even with rising prices? Don't know.

I can tell you there are enough dedicated Harley-Davidson owners who buy the latest $45,000 CVO model every year to keep Harley manufacturing them.

I guess I am a sucker, but I love the look of a new driver in the Spring.  
I really need to learn how to start selling my used gear to fund this habit since,I agree with everyone the cost of new clubs is just getting more expensive every year…

Like some sports industry sectors will this be the year where we will have a product inventory glut, so will we see retail price drops earlier and more aggressive discounting?

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:titelist-small: U-510 19 Utility Iron HZDUS Smoke Black 6.0 Stiff

:Takomo:  5-PW 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Loyal MCC Plus 4 Sensor User

1 hour ago, chisag said:

That happened to me! And my drives have never fully recovered.

PXG 0811 XF driver

:ping-small: Serene: 3 wood, 4 & 5 hybrid iron

:taylormade-small: r7 Draw, Flex L: 4, 6 - 9 irons

:cleveland-small: Wedges: RTX Zipcore 46 mid bounce; RTX-3: 52/10 wedge; and Tour Action 900 60* low bounce

:bettinardi-1: Armlock putter or  :edel-golf-1: E-2 Torque custom fit putter

:bridgestone-small: Tour B XS golf ball

:ShotScope:  V3

I think there’s an argument that the rise of DTC brands has contributed to the increase in price by raising the floor of driver prices. Major OEMs need to price their clubs high enough so they can discount a previous year’s model and still be above the price of what they want us to believe is an inferior product. 

Here is a question to the group. You buy the new Titleist TSR driver for $599. You upgrade to the Ventus shaft for $350. Why do you not get the stock $200 shaft back? 

Titleist driver ADDI shaft

Titleist 3 wood 

Callaway Apex forged irons with Nippon shafts. 

Taylor Made Hi Toe wedges

Spider putter

Titleist Pro V1x

12 minutes ago, KGbogey said:

Here is a question to the group. You buy the new Titleist TSR driver for $599. You upgrade to the Ventus shaft for $350. Why do you not get the stock $200 shaft back? 

Good question, I’ve thought that also…

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

2 hours ago, KGbogey said:

... Other OEM's charge $297, $250 and $203 for the upgraded Ventus Velocore which takes the stock shaft reduction into account. Titleist charging the full aftermarket price has always rubbed me the wrong way.  

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

33 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Other OEM's charge $297, $250 and $203 for the upgraded Ventus Velocore which takes the stock shaft reduction into account. Titleist charging the full aftermarket price has always rubbed me the wrong way.  

Hmm, thanks for info.  

Rick

Left Hand, 

3 hours ago, KGbogey said:

Because you are ordering the upgraded shaft. You don’t get two shafts for the price of 1.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

30 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Because you are ordering the upgraded shaft. You don’t get two shafts for the price of 1.

The best way to buy is to pay for the driver with the stock shaft then get the upgraded shaft on line. Then you can sell the stock one. There are plenty of good fitters out there selling exotic shafts with adapter and grip of choice cheaper than the upgrade. 

Titleist 3 wood 

Spider putter

Titleist Pro V1x

On 2/19/2023 at 6:10 PM, GolfSpy_BNG said:

Right now secondhand driver heads from last year land around $300 depending on condition. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see the used market price start to rise instead of new prices coming down if the oems aren’t selling as much as they think they should. 

I think if drivers sales slump this would be one of the two causes. The other being the fact that last year's drivers were just so darn good.

I don't think it has anything to do with the new drivers being "too expensive". You have to remember when Callaway introduced the FT-5 back in 2007, it retailed for $500 to $565 depending on which one you wanted. Back then there was no adjustable head, but Callaway did offer a Draw, a Neutral and a very rare Tour Fade version. If you translate the price of the FT-5 to 2023 dollars that's equal to over $720 dollars today, and up to $830 in todays dollars if you bought the premium version of the FT-5.

Of course in 2007 Callaway also had the Big Bertha 460, which retailed for about $400. Which would still be over $575 in today's dollars. 

Just as another data point. Taylormade introduced the Burner with the Bubble Shaft back in 1994. It retailed for $350.00. Which if you convert that today's money is also well over $700.00. 

So, basically drivers have ALWAYS been expensive. But inflation across the US was very low from about 2010-2019. So, we didn't see the prices change much. But for the last year and a half inflation has been absolutely insane here in the US. It's the highest its been in about a hundred years. So, naturally prices are going up. 

Last year, Callaway reported record numbers for driver sales. (They are publicly held so you can read their report.) Taylormade also had a banner year for Drivers. Last year's offerings from both Callaway and Taylormade are both really good. So, a lot of folks (myself included) won't be getting a new driver this year. 

Last thing. PXG had record sales during the traditional "off-season" for drivers. They did what used to be commonplace for Taylormade and Callaway to do which was to offer deep discounts from Halloween until Valentine's Day. They sold a ton of drivers, many of which have barely made it out on the course yet, due to the weather in a lot of the country this time of year. 

So, IMO if driver sales slump, it will be easy for everyone to blame pricing. But if you look deeper, you'll likely find the true reasons are 1 - Lots of golfers already have great almost new drivers in their bag. 2 - You can get really good deals on last year's (or the year before) drivers right now (sometimes even fitted). It's getting more and more difficult for manufactures to make any real significant gains in performance. The rules of golf have been pretty close to maxed out. 

I got a bag full of Cobras.... Well, not the putter... yet.

9 hours ago, Clay5477 said:

So the upgraded shaft doesn't cost $350, it costs $350 MORE than the stock shaft?

The cost of the upgraded shaft varies by what the club brand paid for it and then what they determine to be the price they want to charge the customer for it. What you pay for is the club head and they provide a shaft at either no charge what is commonly referred to as stock or you pay for an upcharge shaft. That’s why you don’t get clubhead plus stock shaft plus upcharge shafts 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

9 hours ago, KGbogey said:

The best way to buy is to pay for the driver with the stock shaft then get the upgraded shaft on line. Then you can sell the stock one. There are plenty of good fitters out there selling exotic shafts with adapter and grip of choice cheaper than the upgrade. 

Show me where you can get a ventus velocore be made new with giro for $250 or less from a fitter/club builder 

9 hours ago, Clay5477 said:

So the upgraded shaft doesn't cost $350, it costs $350 MORE than the stock shaft?

Yes. That is the case. 

Same is with irons and other clubs that have Upgrade shaft options.

As @RickyBobby_PR said different OEM will also have different prices do to volume which they purchase and other variables. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

36 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Show me where you can get a ventus velocore be made new with giro for $250 or less from a fitter/club builder 

Ricky I am not arguing with you. I just went on Titleist site. Driver $599, ventus with velocore $345, golf pride align grip $12. Total $956. One site I brought up Assembled Ventus TR with velocore pick your grip $350. And just a quick look you either keep the stock shaft or sell it for $150. 

Titleist 3 wood 

Spider putter

Titleist Pro V1x

48 minutes ago, KGbogey said:

Ricky I am not arguing with you. I just went on Titleist site. Driver $599, ventus with velocore $345, golf pride align grip $12. Total $956. One site I brought up Assembled Ventus TR with velocore pick your grip $350. And just a quick look you either keep the stock shaft or sell it for $150. 

When you but directly from the manufacturer you don’t get both shafts. If a club builder wants to do that then that is on them and their business decision. But even places like CC and others that do the build you aren’t going to get both shafts.

If you look at TaylorMade and cobra they charge $250, looks like Callaway charges $350 for the ventus velocore. So as mentioned above it varies on what the club brand charges for a shaft upgrade.

But unlike you stated in the post I replied to you won’t find an exotic shaft cheaper than what a manufacturer is charging for it as an upgrade. So yes you maybe find it for roughly the same price as titleist ir Callaway charge for it, but you won’t find it for what TM and cobra are charging for it. Same with Graphite Design, Mitsubishi, etc

25 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

When you but directly from the manufacturer you don’t get both shafts. If a club builder wants to do that then that is on them and their business decision. But even places like CC and others that do the build you aren’t going to get both shafts.

If you look at TaylorMade and cobra they charge $250, looks like Callaway charges $350 for the ventus velocore. So as mentioned above it varies on what the club brand charges for a shaft upgrade.

But unlike you stated in the post I replied to you won’t find an exotic shaft cheaper than what a manufacturer is charging for it as an upgrade. So yes you maybe find it for roughly the same price as titleist ir Callaway charge for it, but you won’t find it for what TM and cobra are charging for it. Same with Graphite Design, Mitsubishi, etc

I agree it just don’t make sense. I am playing a Titleist 915 driver with a ADDI shaft in it. It is 8 years old. I would love to upgrade. I have hit a lot of different shafts and gasp at the prices. Ricky, great conversation. 

Titleist 3 wood 

Spider putter

Titleist Pro V1x

As some know. I work at a course and do a lot of the fitting and all the equipment sales there. 

This year (going back to the fall) has been a big driver release year. Titliest having launched the TSR line and PING relaxing the G430 after 2 years and the buzz about the Paradym.   Add on Stealth2, Aerojet, Mizuno. Srixon all having new models. 

But we have seen a noticeable decline in driver sales and interest so far.  I know it’s early in the season.  But it’s a lot less than last year.   There is some talk about the Paradym and people are asking about the G430.  But no real buying internet. 

So this has be thinking that maybe OEM have finally reached a price threshold that consumers are saying, No more! . Many of the drivers hitting $600 and even $750 plus for a premium shaft.  

I know there are many retail guys here and those of us ho’s who usually buy w due year, what do you all say?

I’ve never been one to buy a new Driver. I always wait until they’re a year or so old, then buy a nice used one.
Getting ready to upgrade my Callaway driver to a Titleist TSi3.
My son bought one last week before we played and I Love the way that club hits !!
If you haven’t tried a Titleist driver , you need to !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terry Bonilla

I, for one, could not pull the trigger on the new $600 Paradym when I could get a Rogue Max on CPO for $350 (like new). Is 15% better dispersion really worth almost $300? For some the answer may be yes and I may regret my decision, but I can then pick up the Paradym on CPO in a year or more. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym; Hzrdus Silver 50 Gram

3 Wood: Ping 410; "Otto Phlex" Project X Evenflow Riptide 

7 Wood: Callaway Epic Max 

3, 5-7 Irons: Callaway Apex 19

8-AW Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 19

Wedges: Callaway MD4 54, Callaway MD4 58 X Grind 

Putter: Evnroll ER2v; Midlock and Standard 34 inch with Gravity Gip

This is both a fun and interesting topic.  I have played way to many different sets over the last 10 years (basically since retirement) but I do it because it is fun to try new stuff.  A couple of the pros I have worked with scolded me for doing so (I would play as many as 5 different sets of irons in a year, sometimes more).  I told them it was like having Christmas every month, haha.  Now these weren't new sets, usually a year or more old, but new to me : )  As a young man with a family the only way I could afford new clubs was to make them.  So I got into making clubs and when I wanted a new set I would sell the old and take the $ and build a new set.  Now I do some of the same, as well as buy used OEM clubs and sell my old to pay for the new.  What all this leads to is that I sell quite a few sets to people and find that there are many folks out there who want to play "good" clubs but for one, don't have the money to spend on truely "new" clubs or two, aren't into golf at the same level as many of us golf "addicts" are and therefore refuse to spend that kind of capital on equipment.  These folks just want a decent set of clubs to go out and have fun with.  For them, $500 or $600 for a driver (you can include me here) is stupid money and honestly I don't think it would make much, if any, difference in their game, be it a driver, irons or what have you.  There are numerous tiers of golfers, pick your number or set of attributes but I think, in general, there is a category of us who are trying to do everything they can to improve (including lessons), there are those who would like to be better but aren't really all that motivated to do much about it and then there are those who just don't really care.  They're there just for the fun.  Those buying new and expensive clubs on a regular basis fall into the first category and that category can be further broken down into monetary categories.  So in the end it seems to me it comes down to do you have the $ and do you really care that much.  Seems like a relatively small group, esp. in tight economic times.  

10 hours ago, wanabe said:

This is both a fun and interesting topic.  I have played way to many different sets over the last 10 years (basically since retirement) but I do it because it is fun to try new stuff.  A couple of the pros I have worked with scolded me for doing so (I would play as many as 5 different sets of irons in a year, sometimes more).  I told them it was like having Christmas every month, haha.  Now these weren't new sets, usually a year or more old, but new to me : )  As a young man with a family the only way I could afford new clubs was to make them.  So I got into making clubs and when I wanted a new set I would sell the old and take the $ and build a new set.  Now I do some of the same, as well as buy used OEM clubs and sell my old to pay for the new.  What all this leads to is that I sell quite a few sets to people and find that there are many folks out there who want to play "good" clubs but for one, don't have the money to spend on truely "new" clubs or two, aren't into golf at the same level as many of us golf "addicts" are and therefore refuse to spend that kind of capital on equipment.  These folks just want a decent set of clubs to go out and have fun with.  For them, $500 or $600 for a driver (you can include me here) is stupid money and honestly I don't think it would make much, if any, difference in their game, be it a driver, irons or what have you.  There are numerous tiers of golfers, pick your number or set of attributes but I think, in general, there is a category of us who are trying to do everything they can to improve (including lessons), there are those who would like to be better but aren't really all that motivated to do much about it and then there are those who just don't really care.  They're there just for the fun.  Those buying new and expensive clubs on a regular basis fall into the first category and that category can be further broken down into monetary categories.  So in the end it seems to me it comes down to do you have the $ and do you really care that much.  Seems like a relatively small group, esp. in tight economic times.  

Great post.  I’m not so sure we weren’t separated at birth.  Ha

I am one that it’s not uncommon for me to have3-5 sets of irons in a season and 4-5 drivers     I’m fortunate I get them a very good industry discount.   Then I’m able to move on from them and never sell them for going price, usually very close to what I paid which can still save someone $400 to $500 for a nearly new set    As an example of something likely coming up I may have a set of T200 with Steelfiber shafts, less than 3 months of play for sale Easily $1700 or $1800 new   I’ll probably sell for $900 or so.    It’s my way of giving back 😬

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

40 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Great post.  I’m not so sure we weren’t separated at birth.  Ha

I am one that it’s not uncommon for me to have3-5 sets of irons in a season and 4-5 drivers     I’m fortunate I get them a very good industry discount.   Then I’m able to move on from them and never sell them for going price, usually very close to what I paid which can still save someone $400 to $500 for a nearly new set    As an example of something likely coming up I may have a set of T200 with Steelfiber shafts, less than 3 months of play for sale Easily $1700 or $1800 new   I’ll probably sell for $900 or so.    It’s my way of giving back 😬

Can you pretend to be left handed for a few rounds so I can snag a deal like that? 😂😂😂

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

9 hours ago, Jnoble89 said:

Can you pretend to be left handed for a few rounds so I can snag a deal like that? 😂😂😂

Yup, had some thought years ago!

Rick

Left Hand, 

I'm fairly new to the game of golf and have become addicted to it over the past 5 years. I've also noticed that since I began playing the prices of Golf equipment have steadily risen. I never attempt to judge nor tell another person how to spend their money when it comes to Golf. I do however believe in buying equipment 2nd hand as others have mentioned. I can't imagine paying $600 - $1000 for a Driver, that just seems so much to me. I get from a marketing and business standpoint why OEMs will continually raise the prices for their equipment. 

It really comes down to what personal Value the Driver has for you. Some will pay top dollar to have the latest and greatest driver, others will wait and get the same equipment at a lower cost.