Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Anyone completely ditched fairway woods in their bags?

@russtopherbdid prior to his Mizuno Long game test. 

I'm sure there are others as well, but my 3 wood is a key Club so that won't be me anytime soon.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I have been so sporadic with my driver that I have pretty much just left it in the bag and tee off with my 3 wood.  I've also been hitting it pretty good of the deck when I have a terrible drive.  I can't hit a long iron nearly as consistently. 

D-Callaway Rouge ST Max

3W-Callaway Rouge ST Max

Irons-Callaway X-Series N415

54-Callaway Jaws Full Toe

58-Callaway Jaws Full Toe

P-Taylormade TP Brandon 1

3 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

@russtopherbdid prior to his Mizuno Long game test. 

I'm sure there are others as well, but my 3 wood is a key Club so that won't be me anytime soon.

Yep, I went from driver to Hy-Wood (18*) then onto a 25* 5 hybrid. I found that fairway simply wasn't a club I was using often, however unlike the OP distance is NOT a strength LOL! It was more consistency than anything else (or lack thereof). Thankfully more work, a better feel for course management, and a few lessons had me wanting to put a fairway back in the bag which happened thanks to the Mizuno Long Game test. So we'll see if newer tech and a fitting help out on the fairway wood front. But when I pulled it out initially, I honestly didn't miss it at all. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I love my 3 wood, probably my go to comfort club when things start going wrong. I will hit that baby off the tee box when the driver isnt working also, but I know a ton of people that hate their woods and ditch them for a long iron so if that helps with the comfort level of your game, I would say go for it.

US Air Force Vet and avid golfer

Years ago when I was playing to a single digit HC I didn't play any woods including driver. Couldn't hit one to save my life. Played a strong 2 iron.  

These days I carry a 3 wood but it comes out maybe once a round. I also cut it down an inch that has helped with control.

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

I go back and forth between a 3W and 2 Hybrid.  I hit the hybrid almost as far but can hit it a bit more consistently it seems.

Driver - Titleist TS2 

3 Wood - TaylorMade Rocketballz 2

Hybrids - Taylormade Rescue knockoffs

Irons - Taylormade Burner 2.0

52 Degree - Cleveland CG14

56 Degree - Titleist Vokey BV

60 Degree - Ping Glide 3.0

Ball - Depends if I find in or have to pay for it.

I have NEVER been able to hit fairway woods off the deck.  So I added wedges to fill the empty slots from pulling the fairway woods.  UNTILL this month!!!  Went through a fitting with Club Champion and they set me up with a Great Big Bertha5 wood.  I love it.  I hit it 175 yards at 74 YOA.

For the member that previously said that he used the fairway wood for punching out from the trees;  I often used the driver for punching out 40 or more yards 

:callaway-small:Driver, Callaway, 13.5 degrees, Bassara Lite shaft

Fairway Wood - Callaway Great Big Bertha 5 Wood Shaft Accra FX Gen 3 -  Pured

Hybrid - Mizuno JPX-923 Fli Hi Hybrids, Shaft Accra FX Gen 3 - Pured

Irons - Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal HL Irons, Shaft KBS Tour - 60g, Pured

Putter - Odysey, Two Ball, Center Hosel, Mallet

Ball - MaxFli Tour X

Bag - Vessel, U.S. Coast Guard design for the Veteran Golf Asoc.

Cart - Sun Mountain

Would only use a 3W growing up and then switched to only using a driver and never hitting a 3W

After updating my 3W, it is now a weapon and feel very comfortable with it

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

Nope. Love a 4w or 5w with longer a 3w shaft.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I love finding these posts. I have always had a “traditional” bag setup with Driver, 3W and a 5/7W (current setup has a 7W).

I have been looking at replacing my irons and stopping that setup at a 5i and picking up a 4 utility iron for top of the bag and supplementing the fairway woods.

When I go to replace my fairway woods, I am exploring the idea of gaming Driver + 3HL/4W and maybe a 2 utility iron.

I really enjoy the possibilities!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB:

Takkomo.png.2fd3ccfadfdb71195da27b04616ac6c5.png Takomo IGNIS Driver 10.5* (1* strong) with HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 5.5 shaft

Takkomo.png.2fd3ccfadfdb71195da27b04616ac6c5.png Takomo IGNIS 5 Wood with HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 5.5 shaft

Untitled2.png.80d892461ed08eaa7fe955b28995d7e9.png Ping G430 22* Hybrid with HZRDUS Smoke Red 80g 6.0 shaft

Untitled.png.5ecdabcbb4b233d7651619da934c3a6a.png Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-PW with KBS Tour Light R shafts

Edison.png.1b14460d57753ae667327c0f7d3399a9.png Edison 2.0 Wedges 51° 55° 59° with KBS Tour 110 R shafts

image.png.a072db0e36674771c57e6581a9a7be30.png L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 MAX with LAB x Accra shaft

Interesting thread. I’m very interested in going to a 19 degree hybrid. 3 wood is gone and I have a 22 degree hybrid I don’t like that much plus 5 wood. I want to drop those two and replace with a money club

Driver- Sim2 max

5 wood- Sim max

20’ hybrid- epic flash

irons- 5/gw Pxg 0211 r flex steel

wedges -52,56 Cbx 2 black

putter- Bettinardi queen bee6

7 hours ago, jbsap said:

As the title would suggest, I am toying with the idea of ditching my 3 wood and adding an additional long iron.  Distance is one of my strengths, and I play my 3 hybrid 19.5 deg. to 240 carry.  My next iron is a P770 4 iron that I play to about 210 carry.  I am horrendous with my fairway wood, but when it does stay remotely straight it is a 270 club and is rarely used for one reason or another.  Thinking about getting a p790 3 iron and adjusting my hybrid to 18 degrees in the hopes of filling that 225 range and having the hybrid jump a few more yards.

Anyone else done something similar?  My gapping towards the bottom of the bag is pretty good so an additional wedge wouldn't help me.  

I went 16 years without a fairway wood. Literally just put it back in my bag in May. Used a 22 degree hybrid only then a 6 iron. Like you, distance is a strong suit of mine. Got down to a 6 index doing that but having a few more clubs made me more versatile. I upgraded this year before the fairway wood and had both an 18 and 22 degree hybrid. That honestly could have sufficed fine too, my 18 goes ~265. I never found gapping to be a massive issue, just some instances where having a couple more clubs would have been nice

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-MJ 6x

Titleist TSr3 18 Degree, Graphite Design Tour Ad-DI 7x

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours 120S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini, Versa Scheme, 17" Fatso 3.0 Grip, 40"

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

I'm always fascinated by the fact that most of the people I play with don't use woods at all.  Many go with driver, then irons.  I've thought about getting rid of 3 wood on occasion, but mostly because the top of my bag starts to bunch up a bit, distance-wise.  Don't really know what I would replace it with.  Can't hit longer irons to save my life.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

8 hours ago, JerryB said:

I'm always fascinated by the fact that most of the people I play with don't use woods at all.  Many go with driver, then irons.  I've thought about getting rid of 3 wood on occasion, but mostly because the top of my bag starts to bunch up a bit, distance-wise.  Don't really know what I would replace it with.  Can't hit longer irons to save my life.

I can go multiple rounds without hitting a fw if I wanted to. At most I hit it twice a round. I rarely hit it off the tee anymore.

3w off the deck is hard for many amateurs because if their swing faults and/or lack of speed to effectively get the ball in the air. A higher lofted would is a much better option and would go as far if not farther than their 3w because of the added loft and ability to get it in the air

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I was there last week, I just can't hit the darn thing, my 3 Hybrid gets me the same distance. But at my lesson the next day my instructor told me I am being an idiot LOL, and he was going to get me smacking that thing better, so we will see 🙂

Just your "normal" obsessed golfer in search of more shots with names of flying critters...

I am a short hitting and really like fairway woods.  I never use my 3 wood in the fairway.  Instead, the 3 wood is used off the tee for tight holes and also chipping out from trees which can go as much as 150 yards.  My 5 wood is the main fairway wood off the fairway and sometimes the rough.  The 7 wood is used in the rough, fairway and tee box when shorter distance is the main factor. I wish I had ordered a 7 wood to match my 3 & 5 when I bought them. Next time I will. 

• Driver _ Ping G400 Max
  • Woods _ Ping G410 3 & 5 | Cleveland Launcher XL HALO 7
  • Hybrid _ Titleist 818 H1 5 
  • Irons _ Titleist T300 6-GW
  • Wedges _ Titleist SM9 52F & 56S
  • Putter _ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife Two Bar Hybrid
  • Distance _ Bushnell Phantom 2 GPS | Precision Pro NX7 Pro
  • Ball _ Titleist Pro V1 yellow
  • GHIN _ HCP floats between 8 & 12

:ping-small:  :cleveland-small: :titelist-small:  :vokey-small:   :odyssey-small:  :rife-putters-1:  :918457628_PrecisionPro:  :sunmountain: :Clicgear:   :footjoy-small:  

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

I was in exactly the same situation at the start of the year, as I really didn’t trust my 3 wood to go at the target. That was until I tried a Ventus Red velocore shaft. These babies are so consistent I almost feel more confident with it than my hybrid now. When getting fitted, there was a marked difference in playability between the different weights - but give them a go, so stable!!!

I'm with you on this. I sold my 3w last year on the course, couldn't make it work on course, not off the tee, not off the deck, rarely.

My 3H is my go to club, 100% confidence with it in all situations. I have considered getting the matching 2H to take the gap from driver to 3H

3 minutes ago, Rene2.5RS said:

I'm with you on this. I sold my 3w last year on the course, couldn't make it work on course, not off the tee, not off the deck, rarely.

My 3H is my go to club, 100% confidence with it in all situations. I have considered getting the matching 2H to take the gap from driver to 3H

What club would you give up to add the 2H?

Driver - Titleist TS2 

3 Wood - TaylorMade Rocketballz 2

Hybrids - Taylormade Rescue knockoffs

Irons - Taylormade Burner 2.0

52 Degree - Cleveland CG14

56 Degree - Titleist Vokey BV

60 Degree - Ping Glide 3.0

Ball - Depends if I find in or have to pay for it.

I just switched my 4 wood to a 2 hybrid and replaced a 7 wood with a 4 hybrid. I’m more confident hitting hybrids than fairway woods and, for me, the hybrids have less dispersion. Long irons are definitely not an option for my ability. 

Stay on Target!    94602_x-wing_512x512.png.e6fd366aa256fea54f342bdfaa860cb7.png

pxg-logo-freelogovectors.net_-400x400.png.fd7f603a83c91f76fed4c6245b967a52.png 0811X Gen 4 Driver

pxg-logo-freelogovectors.net_-400x400.png.fd7f603a83c91f76fed4c6245b967a52.png 0311XF Gen 5 Fairway 4 Wood

Maltby KE4 TC HyWay Utility Wood

image.png.471e92969c871a065786f650138fd517.pngEQ1-NX Single Length Irons (LW - 7)

image.png.471e92969c871a065786f650138fd517.pngEQ1-NX Single Length Hybrids (4, 5, 6)

image.png.0d2df83eb1bcf82eb1adec6302909991.png    MEZZ.1 Putter (2022 tester)

image.png.43257b3b93a88cb87b3dfc1ae39a025a.png  Tour Ball X

23 hours ago, jbsap said:

As the title would suggest, I am toying with the idea of ditching my 3 wood and adding an additional long iron.  Distance is one of my strengths, and I play my 3 hybrid 19.5 deg. to 240 carry.  My next iron is a P770 4 iron that I play to about 210 carry.  I am horrendous with my fairway wood, but when it does stay remotely straight it is a 270 club and is rarely used for one reason or another.  Thinking about getting a p790 3 iron and adjusting my hybrid to 18 degrees in the hopes of filling that 225 range and having the hybrid jump a few more yards.

Anyone else done something similar?  My gapping towards the bottom of the bag is pretty good so an additional wedge wouldn't help me.  

Well, at your swing speed your needs are very different from mine. But from what I understand from a recent article about the proliferation of 7 woods on tour (for the life of me, I can't remember whether it was a MGS, Golf Digest or Golf Mag article... sorry), if your goal/need is to hit greens from a distance, then a fairway wood is a far better choice than either a long iron or a hybrid. Neither of those impart enough spin, at least at an amateur level, to stop on a green; a fairway wood does. The article goes on to say that most struggle with the 3 wood, but 5/7 woods are easier to hit, provide substantially better height (for a steeper decent angle) and spin more for stopping power. They said that Pro's often shorten the shaft length on their 7 wood for gapping purposes.

They surprisingly said that many (alluded to most) people struggle hitting hybrids. I've always struggled with that myself and have given away 3 different hybrids that frustrated the crap out of me. But my 7 wood, in particular, is relatively easy. 

Oh! And you may notice that I also carry a 4 iron hybrid. I generally use that for hitting into the wind instead of my 7 wood, but I still don't hit it as well.

:cobra-small: Dark Speed X Driver w/ :Fuji: Motore X F35R shaft, :srixon-small: ZX 5 Wood & 7 Wood w/Evenflow Riptide 5.5 shaft, :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi 24 deg Hybrid Iron, :mizuno-small: JPX919 Hot Metal 5-GW w/Project X LZ 5.5 shafts, :titleist-small: SM9 54D & 58M deg wedges, :odyssey-small: Sabertooth White Ice, :titleist-small: -Pro V1X (preferred) or :maxfli: Tour X ball, :ShotScope: X5 Watch, Nikon Laser 500 range finder.

23 hours ago, jbsap said:

I ditched it for a while -- had no confidence in the 3w, felt like I topped it 60% of the time. So, I swapped out my 15* 3w for a 16* 1-Utility (specifically the Titleist U505 -- also considered the T200 2i, which is slightly more lofted and smaller profile, but decided to go bigger for the longest iron). Lost a little distance, but gained consistency and options off the tee. It worked well for a while, but decided I wanted a FW back, and made a couple minor swing (and mental) tweaks when buying a new Stealth2 3w that I cranked down a bit -- to make room for both, I actually removed a wedge from the bag(changing up my wedge lofts) -- actually love the new setup, and I think it's made short game easier because I have fewer options (haven't found a shot that I could hit with the 60 but not the 58, and it's easier for me to pick the best option between 54-58 than it was between 52-56-60). 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 8* (adjusted to 8.75*), Mitsubishi Diamana ZF 70 X Flex (New toy incoming!)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Stealth2 Plus, 15* (adjusted to 14.25*) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 7X

Irons:  :titleist-small: U505 1 Iron (16*), T200 "Utility Build" 3 and 4 irons, all with Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 95 X Flex, :titleist-small: T100S 5-9 with Nippon Pro Modus 120 X Flex (2021 MGS Test). These things are monsters. 

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM9 46.10, 54.12, and 58.08, all with custom etchings & KBS Tour Masters-themed shafts, X-flex (CHA Post)

Putter: Total headcase and Putter Ho. Down to two main options in the rotation (one mallet, one blade), but have 4-5 by the basement putting green that might make it in the bag at some point this year... Mallet: :L.A.B.: Mezz XL 36" Orange; Blade: :L.A.B.: Link.1 w/Accra White shaft & :garsen: grip

I too struggle off and on with my 3 wood.  Currently, I've switched to using 3 and 4 hybrids as they are easier to hit for me and tend to be more forgiving.    I'd rather be 20 - 30 yards shorter but on target then chucking the shot or fading it into the rough.   

CST2112

I don't carry any fairway woods

I just hit hybrids so much better, and my callaway super hybrid goes as far, if not farther than my best hits w/ a 5 wood

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS