deWiz Golf Swing Modifier - 2023 Forum Review

GolfSpy_APH

I found that I can have a postive number for transition like 1-2 inches yet my in to out on launch monitor will be .5 to 1.5 inches.  

did anyone else see this? 

Callaway  Driver

Mizuno JPX Irons

Ping Putter w/ modified grip

image.png

Just now, billpierce said:

I found that I can have a postive number for transition like 1-2 inches yet my in to out on launch monitor will be .5 to 1.5 inches.  

Not me. The path and over the top are different. One is degrees and the other is a measurement of inches, not degrees. 

image.png.702001ca19ba55f2a1ca32610c99752e.pngUSMC Veteran and Weekend Golfer

image.png.a88615aa1dc2ff3464a9f6eba8f8c357.pngCallaway Paradym 10.5 degree Driver; Tensei 1K Blue 50g S

Screenshot2024-04-26094356.png.e6729b84fbca4db480e886001e078fb6.pngCobra LTDX 3 and 5 woods

image.png.bcf13f4bf775adb3a56fd3df40d0ea0e.png Titleist T300; C Taper Lite 105R

image.png.f87968f7ac02b80c1d756215bf1d4f5c.png Cleveland Zipcore 54 and 58

image.png.3538cead307819c04e33f42f9a56c878.png Scotty Newport Special Select 2 33 inch

image.png

Agree. But it was odd to think I am in to out with good aofa but transition hands moved an inch outward. 

Good question for @dewiz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good question for [mention=113463]dewiz[/mention]

@dewizgolf

image.png.a88615aa1dc2ff3464a9f6eba8f8c357.pngCallaway Paradym 10.5 degree Driver; Tensei 1K Blue 50g S

Screenshot2024-04-26094356.png.e6729b84fbca4db480e886001e078fb6.pngCobra LTDX 3 and 5 woods

image.png.3538cead307819c04e33f42f9a56c878.png Scotty Newport Special Select 2 33 inch

image.png

3 hours ago, billpierce said:

I haven't seen this.  If you haven't, I'd recommend joining the facebook group.  There's a lot of questions like this on there and they get answered pretty quickly and thoroughly.  

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0341 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:mizuno-small:  T7 55º @55/7  -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

12 hours ago, billpierce said:

One thing to keep in mind is that deWiz measures your transition about 8" into the downswing, so while you may be slightly over the plane initially, you could be making a move later in your downswing that gives you that into out path. 

The "standard" deviation for transition is +/- 1 for a straight ball flight based on what the deWiz app states, as well, so I wouldn't say that it is a big surprise you can still get that in to out path. If you were significantly over the top, then I would probably be more surprised with that result.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

That actually makes sense. I am going to play with an exaggerated shallow/path at very top and see!  The data nerd in me wants to understand all this in granular detail!

Callaway  Driver

Mizuno JPX Irons

Ping Putter w/ modified grip

image.png

13 hours ago, billpierce said:

As @Jnoble89 mentioned in a previous answer, the deWiz Transition measurement is taken 8 inches into the downswing, which means it's entirely possible for the downswing plane to start above the backswing plane (hence the + deWiz Transition measurement) and then through the rest of the downswing the hand plane drops below the backswing plane creating the in-to-out path you see from the launch monitor (I would suggest looking at the trace lines of the deWiz avatar to see this visually).

In general, particularly with higher caliber of players, we do tend to see a lot of golfers that have a slightly positive deWiz Transition number that result in an in-to-out path because of their ability to shallow out through downswing. Viktor Hovland would be a great example of someone that would have a + deWiz Transition, negative Steepening/Shallowing measurement, and in-to-out path.

You can think of the Transition measurement as your "baseline". If you're producing a perfectly straight ball flight (0 path) with a +1.5 inch Transition, then you can treat 1.5 has your own "Zero". 

Improve your game FAST

59 minutes ago, deWiz Golf said:

As @Jnoble89 mentioned in a previous answer, the deWiz Transition measurement is taken 8 inches into the downswing, which means it's entirely possible for the downswing plane to start above the backswing plane (hence the + deWiz Transition measurement) and then through the rest of the downswing the hand plane drops below the backswing plane creating the in-to-out path you see from the launch monitor (I would suggest looking at the trace lines of the deWiz avatar to see this visually).

In general, particularly with higher caliber of players, we do tend to see a lot of golfers that have a slightly positive deWiz Transition number that result in an in-to-out path because of their ability to shallow out through downswing. Viktor Hovland would be a great example of someone that would have a + deWiz Transition, negative Steepening/Shallowing measurement, and in-to-out path.

You can think of the Transition measurement as your "baseline". If you're producing a perfectly straight ball flight (0 path) with a +1.5 inch Transition, then you can treat 1.5 has your own "Zero". 

@deWiz Golf love this explanation, thanks for taking it into further detail! Speaking of using the trace line, what would suggest an in to out path? On my best swings, my transition is anywhere from -0.5 in to 0.4 in, and the green trace line ends up outside of the blue trace line at the bottom of my swing. I've attached a screenshot to make it more clear for those who haven't used the deWiz. I don't have a home launch monitor that shows ball flight and I am indoors for the spring, so understanding those lines a bit better could help me determine if I am swiping across the ball or having that more desired in to out path.

IMG_1472.png

#LeftyGang

Limited time offer from deWiz for all of our Forum Members!

Get $100 off when using the code MGS100

Thank you @deWiz Golf for providing this opportunity to our forum members!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

7 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Great deal there! Yes thank you

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

36 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

SO awesome!! Thanks @deWiz Golf!

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

Just a quick follow up on the last few times using the deWiz Swing Modifier.

I had a chance to get it out on the course again. The first time was the day I received the unit and I think I had 2-3 swings register. I accounted that largely to the fact that I was using a cart and my very quick pace when it comes to addressing the ball and hitting it. This time I had 17 swings register. Not great but at least it was an improvement. While I wasn't constantly looking at my phone during the round to track progress, I'm sure a number of the missed ones were due to not addressing the ball and staying still for a second or two. I was also in a cart again so some of the swings could have been missed due to being outside Bluetooth range. All things considered I don't think the on course mode is really for me. I'm just not interested in going into apps, selecting clubs, live tracking results, etc. Without that diligence it's really hard to do much with the info. I WILL try and get it out during another practice round at some point and really focus on logging all of the information but it's just not something I see myself doing very often at all.

I have been using it more frequently indoors and have really focused on the Practice & Learn options. In that menu you can practice Transition, Tempo, Length of Backswing and Distwedges (length of backswing on wedge shots). I've found them helpful and the immediate feedback from the phone audio is great. I think this will be where I spend 95% of my time with the app and will just slowly adjust goals and get them tighter and tighter. I've dabbled with but haven't spent a ton of time with Distwedges since I wasn't fully confident in what my norms might be for specific yardages...but my next step is to practice hitting a variety of yardages and tracking the backswing lengths. Once I have those I should be able to go into Distwedges and set up "Gears" that are backswing length targets generally resulting in specific carry distances. I should be able to get a lot more out of wedge practice at that point. I have been a sub 5 handicap for the last few years but I believe my wedge game, especially in regards to consistency, could definitely improve. I do think pairing the Distwedges with a launch monitor or even at an outdoor range will really help with getting more consistent carry distances when I'm inside of 120 yards.

To build on what @GolfSub70 mentioned I have work more with the Distwedge feature to try to work on an dial in those partial swings. I have built a system I use to help control swing length based on stance width thanks to some YouTube watching and first off I wanted to test if this system even work for me, and I consistent in stopping the swing at similar lengths? In running a sample I have the table below from three swings at each of the 4 positions I use in backswing length.

image.png.29a11695482de8ca1faf067170a7b77f.png

deWiz was such a great simple tool to help get this feedback about my system and overall it seems to work. I am relatively consistent overall at each level though the shoulder level is a bit less consistent but that makes sense that the longer partial swing has the most variance. From here I set up the wedge practice area is deWiz. Under practice and learn you can set up your longest to shortest swings which the video below shows you how to run through that. Then from there you can do random practice, pick on length to practice, or shuffle where you input set distances and the app will mix between only your set matrix. I have used all of these settings and they are wonderful for practicing your backswing length and get that better feeling about your wedge matrix. Unfortunately they weather is not great to test this on course but dialing in that feel can only help.

Finally there is the ability to test your progress in form of the deWiz Distwedge Challenge. I started this without testing anything and got a score of 73, not great. With the practice and training through the app I now have a high score of 93 which is a marked improvement. Most importantly is shows me that I struggle the most are swings between my full swing and shoulder height, which is not something I have ever really tried to use on course. If it is more than shoulder height I move to whatever club is a full swing instead of trying to just take off a bit of speed. This wedge practice might be the most useful part of this app given its simplicity and how easy it should translate to your game. Having a more consistent wedge matrix should only help you with those shots inside 100 yard to improve scoring. I can't test this yet but I will be sure to do that once this thing called winter ends.

IMG_2502.PNG.3aba38840d4a80ed03fdb3ee4d9c611d.PNG

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

8 hours ago, ejgaudette said:

To build on what @GolfSub70 mentioned I have work more with the Distwedge feature to try to work on an dial in those partial swings. I have built a system I use to help control swing length based on stance width thanks to some YouTube watching and first off I wanted to test if this system even work for me, and I consistent in stopping the swing at similar lengths? In running a sample I have the table below from three swings at each of the 4 positions I use in backswing length.

image.png.29a11695482de8ca1faf067170a7b77f.png

deWiz was such a great simple tool to help get this feedback about my system and overall it seems to work. I am relatively consistent overall at each level though the shoulder level is a bit less consistent but that makes sense that the longer partial swing has the most variance. From here I set up the wedge practice area is deWiz. Under practice and learn you can set up your longest to shortest swings which the video below shows you how to run through that. Then from there you can do random practice, pick on length to practice, or shuffle where you input set distances and the app will mix between only your set matrix. I have used all of these settings and they are wonderful for practicing your backswing length and get that better feeling about your wedge matrix. Unfortunately they weather is not great to test this on course but dialing in that feel can only help.

Finally there is the ability to test your progress in form of the deWiz Distwedge Challenge. I started this without testing anything and got a score of 73, not great. With the practice and training through the app I now have a high score of 93 which is a marked improvement. Most importantly is shows me that I struggle the most are swings between my full swing and shoulder height, which is not something I have ever really tried to use on course. If it is more than shoulder height I move to whatever club is a full swing instead of trying to just take off a bit of speed. This wedge practice might be the most useful part of this app given its simplicity and how easy it should translate to your game. Having a more consistent wedge matrix should only help you with those shots inside 100 yard to improve scoring. I can't test this yet but I will be sure to do that once this thing called winter ends.

IMG_2502.PNG.3aba38840d4a80ed03fdb3ee4d9c611d.PNG

The DistWedge stuff has been a blast! I like how it varies the length of swing you take each time. Makes me ANXIOUS to get out on the course in the spring to dial some distances in with the length of backswings. I'll be able to do it a bit with my Mevo, but it'll be really fun out on the course in the evenings just practicing those partial shots.

#LeftyGang

41 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

The DistWedge stuff has been a blast! I like how it varies the length of swing you take each time. Makes me ANXIOUS to get out on the course in the spring to dial some distances in with the length of backswings. I'll be able to do it a bit with my Mevo, but it'll be really fun out on the course in the evenings just practicing those partial shots.

I agree just dialing in those feels to build that matrix. Combine the swing length with a couple grip options too would give me 48 distances likely with lots of overlap depending on run out or height I am looking for. I really need to take the time to build out that matrix and get more comfortable on the course. Gonna take some time to work it all out, and will for sure need to right it down.

46 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

I agree just dialing in those feels to build that matrix. Combine the swing length with a couple grip options too would give me 48 distances likely with lots of overlap depending on run out or height I am looking for. I really need to take the time to build out that matrix and get more comfortable on the course. Gonna take some time to work it all out, and will for sure need to right it down.

Same here. Probably will end up being the section I use the most in the app. I already love wedge play because there are SO many different shot types you can hit. With transition and tempo being relatively solid, I would say it is the best point of emphasis for me outside of just shoring up my general swing sequencing.

#LeftyGang

Since I can only use it indoors, I don’t think the distwedge test for me will be great. Not the fault of the tool, but there is something about hitting wedges indoors that ends in less than desirable results.

image.png

56 minutes ago, USMCSnyper said:

Since I can only use it indoors, I don’t think the distwedge test for me will be great. Not the fault of the tool, but there is something about hitting wedges indoors that ends in less than desirable results. emoji23.png

I get uncomfortably close to my net and go no higher loft than a gap wedge, that is for sure 😂

#LeftyGang

12 hours ago, USMCSnyper said:

Since I can only use it indoors, I don’t think the distwedge test for me will be great. Not the fault of the tool, but there is something about hitting wedges indoors that ends in less than desirable results. emoji23.png

Yes, no actual balls being hit here either. I choke way down on the wedge and then I have enough space to swing it freely.

19 hours ago, Jnoble89 said:

I get uncomfortably close to my net and go no higher loft than a gap wedge, that is for sure 😂

I too am basically on top of my net.  😆  If I'm using the 56 my swing through barely clears the side of the net.  I also have some padding set up to catch the occasional hosel rocket.  😬

I had to back into the Dist Wedge Feature --  figure out what length a 1/4,1/2/3/4 swing was and work into it from there.  I've been using the feature less to jump around with back swing distance and more to really dial in the consistency of my partial swings.  -- E.G. I set it at the length for a 1/2 swing then try to stay within an inch either side of it to improve my consistency.   I was very surprised at how a 'feel' half swing varied 3-4 inches in either side of the target -- 8" variance in a swing doesn't do much for consistency.  

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

Putter

Ball

Final review is up all, check it out, share your thoughts, happy to answer any questions.

Hey all! My final review is up as well!!

Happy to answer any questions!

image.png

Mine is up as well.  Same as the others.   Any questions let me know.

Driver

Woods

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

Putter

Ball

Reading through the final reviews I didn’t see an answer to this question: does the device prioritize the things you need to work on or is it just a here are a bunch of numbers that you should work on improving? 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Just now, cnosil said:

Reading through the final reviews I didn’t see an answer to this question: does the device prioritize the things you need to work on or is it just a here are a bunch of numbers that you should work on improving? 

I would say no there is not a priority given to any one metric, that is up to the user. Personally I could see the steepening on my swing as way out of the guideline parameters, but as I mentioned fixing that is a problem that I feel requires a coach. If my tempo of transition was slightly off, or I just wanted to get my swing longer or deeper without changing anything else you might be able to do that just with the deWiz but metrics such as IDDx, IDDY, and Steepening/shallowing feels like you need more help untangling that, or at least I do. As you read that was my biggest hesitation with the device. Might be a nice idea to partner with Skillest to offer a discounted first lesson based on your base line if matched with some video as a bit of an assessment to help get the priorities sorted out.

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

It does prioritize three things.   Length of Back Swing, tempo, and transition.   Those are the stats that will give you the good/bad chirp.   I would like to see some expanded options along the line of what I think you're getting at.  E.G.   I'm using too much arms, I'd really like to focus on max hand speed to impact distance.  Or some other variation like that.   When they code it to add those additional features it could be the best practice tool out there.   

Driver

Woods

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

Putter

Ball

2 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

I would say no there is not a priority given to any one metric, that is up to the user. Personally I could see the steepening on my swing as way out of the guideline parameters, but as I mentioned fixing that is a problem that I feel requires a coach. If my tempo of transition was slightly off, or I just wanted to get my swing longer or deeper without changing anything else you might be able to do that just with the deWiz but metrics such as IDDx, IDDY, and Steepening/shallowing feels like you need more help untangling that, or at least I do. As you read that was my biggest hesitation with the device. Might be a nice idea to partner with Skillest to offer a discounted first lesson based on your base line if matched with some video as a bit of an assessment to help get the priorities sorted out.

I'd like to see them add a drill library to each statistic.   I had to go to he Facebook group to get an answer for what iidy could represent since the options it showed were not any of the faults I'm dealing with.  In the end Markus helped me diagnose that it might be sway related.   

Driver

Woods

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

Putter

Ball