Testers Wanted! T Squared Putters ×

Vokey SM10 Debut on Tour

Golfspy_CG2

• Golfspy_CG2 changed the title to Vokey SM10 Debut on Tour
10 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

And so it begins with release season!

I got this email at 6:15 am EST…they wasted no time in the new year!!! 😂

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge/Testing Bag (Link Here)

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-GW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Jaws Raw Plasma 54 & 58

Putter:  image.png.c8e6824d2c38fa85d20ca21913fbb2b1.pngPhantom X 5.5

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym

Titleist White Box Testing (2023)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

And the first actual in hand photos. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

So as someone who has never owned a vokey wedge (embarassing I know) what makes them do special?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Just now, CFreddie said:

I got this email at 6:15 am EST…they wasted no time in the new year!!! 😂

In other news.  Comgrats on your PGAPappas prize win!

17 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

img_0086.jpg

NOW ON TOUR: NEW VOKEY SM10 WEDGES

As the 2024 PGA TOUR season debuts this week in Maui, so does the next generation of the TOUR’s longstanding most played wedges: Vokey Design SM10. 

Vokey wedges have been the top choice of players on the PGA TOUR every year since 2004. Last season, more than 50 percent of the wedges in play were Vokey Design, with seven of the world’s top 10 players at year’s end gaming at least one Vokey wedge – including reigning major champions Wyndham Clark and Brian Harman. 

“I have always said since the day I arrived at Titleist,” said Master Craftsman Bob Vokey, “that I have the best R&D facility in the world – the professional tours.”  

Vokey SM10 is the result of this continuous process – rooted in the collaboration of Vokey, Director of Player Relations Aaron Dill (Vokey rep on the PGA TOUR), and the best players in the world. 

“[Bob and Aaron] have been incredible,”Jordan Spieth said. “I mean, they have been so much fun to work with. Great guys – guys that know so much about what they're doing and they're so passionate about what they’re doing. Very few people are as passionate about their jobs as Voke and Aaron. They'll stay out of the way and just kind of watch. And then if you want to bring them in, they already know what you’re going to ask and they know what the response is. And then, here and there, they’ll ask for feedback, just to find out what kind of improvements they can make.” 

Players in the field this week at Kapalua are getting the first opportunity to game the new models in competition. The tour launch of SM10 will continue at The American Express, when AD is back behind his grinding wheel in the Titleist Tour Truck at PGA West. 

Stay tuned to Titleist.com and Titleist’s social channels over the coming weeks for updates as the introduction of SM10 wedges continues on the PGA TOUR and across the worldwide professional tours. 

img_0086.jpg

I need two new wedges, I will get them this year, these look nice...

committed to performance excellence

3 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

So as someone who has never owned a vokey wedge (embarassing I know) what makes them do special?

3 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

for me it is familiarity, it takes less time for me to get confident with them as I have played them for many years

4 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

They offer more bounce grinds to fit more players than other wedge manufacturers typically do.

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4 

Hybrid: :titleist-small: TSR2 21 degree - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7.5

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

Link to "Unboxing & Set-Up" post

5 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

For me it’s mostly how versatile the grinds are in allowing to open and close the face for different shots around the green.    I haven’t found other wedges where I have that comfort level. 

some will say the spin milled grooves are just marketing.   But when o make clean contact with them around the green I get that hop and immediate stop shot in looking for.   

4 minutes ago, Jim Shaw said:

for me it is familiarity, it takes less time for me to get confident with them as I have played them for many years

Going to play devil's advocate here - that's great for you. However someone who hasn't played them before it doesn't make it a selling point. My familiar zone is with Ping wedges and more the glides which offer greater forgiveness traits.

3 minutes ago, rkj427 said:

They offer more bounce grinds to fit more players than other wedge manufacturers typically do.

I've definitely seen and noted this. As great of a feature as this is, it also makes the fittings that much more important. New golfers to it I would say it's more daunting and confusing!

I get exactly what both of you guys are saying tho.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

11 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

In other news.  Comgrats on your PGAPappas prize win!

Thanks!!! I was pretty shocked...I never win those things!  I've been going back and re-reading the Paradym review thread to prepare for it!

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge/Testing Bag (Link Here)

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-GW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Jaws Raw Plasma 54 & 58

Putter:  image.png.c8e6824d2c38fa85d20ca21913fbb2b1.pngPhantom X 5.5

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym

Titleist White Box Testing (2023)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

4 minutes ago, rkj427 said:

i am an elite player and still havent figured out the importance of "bounce" I figure if it works it works and if it doesnt I adjust to make it work... I guess my brain doesnt grasp the concept, I have heard "this bounce does better on hard surfaces, this bounce does better on soft surfaces" so what do I do, change bounces for the conditions? I dont think that is for me. 

20 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I have played some that I have really liked and others not so much. I typically have to add some lead tape to them. 

I have always been a Cleveland fan but will say the vokeys have been in the bag almost as much. 

They do offer a few more grinds than others and I have had good experience with them lasting.   

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

22 minutes ago, Jim Shaw said:

i am an elite player and still havent figured out the importance of "bounce" I figure if it works it works and if it doesnt I adjust to make it work... I guess my brain doesnt grasp the concept, I have heard "this bounce does better on hard surfaces, this bounce does better on soft surfaces" so what do I do, change bounces for the conditions? I dont think that is for me. 

I am opposite of you with bounce and grinds.   
Bounce I can defiantly tell a difference between low and high bounce wedges.  And yes I do change based on the conditions of the course.   I play one that is all Bermuda and go with a bit more bounce there.   Our other couese is a combo of Bermuda and bent and I may go more mid bounce there. 

As for grinds. I don’t really get picky there as my game isnt to the level of being able to discern between those as much. 

30 minutes ago, Jim Shaw said:

4 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Bounce I can defiantly tell a difference between low and high bounce wedges.  And yes I do change based on the conditions of the course.   I play one that is all Bermuda and go with a bit more bounce there.   Our other couese is a combo of Bermuda and bent and I may go more mid bounce there. 

As for grinds. I don’t really get picky there as my game isnt to the level of being able to discern between those as much. 

For me, wedges (bounce and grind) are the most confusing club in the bag and something I am trying to learn more about.  I understand the theory but I guess my wedge game isn't sophisticated enough. 🙂  I've done a Titleist wedge fitting and have seen/felt the difference but I think I could do okay (as well as I do now) with any of them.  I have the recommended grinds and bounces from my fitting and my game really isn't that much better.   

Then with all of that,  a player can completely eliminate all bounce if the lean the shaft forward.  10 degrees of bounce and if I deloft 10 degrees I now have 0 bounce.   

@Jim Shaw switching wedges based on course conditions are what the tour players do.   That said, after watching some James Ridyard videos,  my current opinion is that how you use the wedges is probably more or a consideration than conditions.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

10 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

interesting, so when I played in New Brunswick at Gowan Brae, the fringe was wriery, I hadn't really run into that before so I went to work, set up down at the practice area and figured it out, I actually went away from my 56 or 50 degree wedges and landed on the PW and kindof "punched it out of the fringe, it worked but my takeaway was you have to figure it out. If changing clubs works for you then that is good as well. 

12 minutes ago, cnosil said:

For me, wedges (bounce and grind) are the most confusing club in the bag and something I am trying to learn more about.  I understand the theory but I guess my wedge game isn't sophisticated enough. 🙂  I've done a Titleist wedge fitting and have seen/felt the difference but I think I could do okay (as well as I do now) with any of them.  I have the recommended grinds and bounces from my fitting and my game really isn't that much better.   

Then with all of that,  a player can completely eliminate all bounce if the lean the shaft forward.  10 degrees of bounce and if I deloft 10 degrees I now have 0 bounce.   

@Jim Shaw switching wedges based on course conditions are what the tour players do.   That said, after watching some James Ridyard videos,  my current opinion is that how you use the wedges is probably more or a consideration than conditions.  

I would think the tour players do, I would say their "teams" would put plans in place well in advance so they can get comfortable with the bounce, for example this week in hawaii the players would have started practicing with their wedges 2-3 weeks in advance to be ready for the course conditions, then next week at the Sony the turnaround wouldn't be as long so the new "bounce" would have to be practiced or maybe the conditions will be such they don't have to change until they head to the west coast swing. At my level I don't think the players are that dialled in however i may be wrong with some of the elite sr. amateur players from down south or overseas, their competitons are more high level than mine. 

2 hours ago, Jim Shaw said:

In my case, I generally carry a relatively high bounce 54* wedge (12* bounce) and a low (8* to 9* bounce) 58-59* wedge, sometimes even a 58* with only 4* of bounce, if I will be playing on very firm turf.

For my trip to NW England and Scotland in July of 2022, my low-bounce 58* wedge came in very handy and worked very well for me on several shots off of the firm links turf. I did use that low-bounce wedge from a few greenside pot bunkers, opening the face to the point where it was playing at about 65* loft with maybe 10-11* or more of effective bounce.

By the way, at Royal Birkdale, I was in a greenside pot bunker and my caddie suggested that I either hit the ball sideways or backwards where the bunker walls were not nearly as high. I took the 58* low-bounce wedge, opened the face quite a bit, and went straight at the pin, hitting the ball inside of 2 feet. I’ve attached a picture of the hole (I was in that right front bunker and quite close to the front left edge of it — that was the exact pin position, as I happened to take the photo just prior to hitting my tee shot).

IMG_0361.jpeg

Edited by funkyjudge

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

5 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Going to play devil's advocate here - that's great for you. However someone who hasn't played them before it doesn't make it a selling point. My familiar zone is with Ping wedges and more the glides which offer greater forgiveness traits.

I've definitely seen and noted this. As great of a feature as this is, it also makes the fittings that much more important. New golfers to it I would say it's more daunting and confusing!

I get exactly what both of you guys are saying tho.

The Titleist site had a fitting available, but it is based on what you put in for the SM8 wedges.  You have to know your swing and what you are looking in wedges.  The tool worked well for me and the grinds/bounce I got work very well for me.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

10 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

As I currently game the SM8, these seem very underwhelming. I was in your shoes at the end of the 2022 season Jamie, never owned Vokeys, always had Cleveland whatever’s and didn’t pay attention to bounce or grind. It was a big difference with a new Vokey. Now that I have put some 50 odd rounds into them, I play 4 Vokeys for reference, I find them easy to you use with more options for fit and versatility, but a very soft metal and they’re durability  concerns me. My 60 for reference has too many large scars for my liking. It could be course conditions, but I don’t consider the courses around here shorty. They are, in my opinion, built for the purist as they are a gorgeous build. I’m looking at switching into the MG4, or Jaws as both are built by very reputable wedge makers, overseen should be the word used. 

They are no way a bad wedge, but don’t seem to push the envelope on tech. Can’t go wrong with them, but it seems like others are equivalent if not better.

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-MJ 6x

Titleist TSr3 18 Degree, Graphite Design Tour Ad-DI 7x

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours 120S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini, Versa Scheme, 17" Fatso 3.0 Grip, 40"

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

9 hours ago, Jim Shaw said:

I would think the tour players do, I would say their "teams" would put plans in place well in advance so they can get comfortable with the bounce, for example this week in hawaii the players would have started practicing with their wedges 2-3 weeks in advance to be ready for the course conditions, then next week at the Sony the turnaround wouldn't be as long so the new "bounce" would have to be practiced or maybe the conditions will be such they don't have to change until they head to the west coast swing. At my level I don't think the players are that dialled in however i may be wrong with some of the elite sr. amateur players from down south or overseas, their competitons are more high level than mine. 

When I ordered my Vokeys I was in the same boat, I was fit into my wedges based on me wanting versatility so we went with M grind on 60/56 8 degree and F grind 52/48 10 degree. 

Figured having the versatility allowed me the most “freedom” to use them how I saw fit versus pigeonholing my wedges based on the tech design. 

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

1 hour ago, TylorJudd said:

As I currently game the SM8, these seem very underwhelming. I was in your shoes at the end of the 2022 season Jamie, never owned Vokeys, always had Cleveland whatever’s and didn’t pay attention to bounce or grind. It was a big difference with a new Vokey. Now that I have put some 50 odd rounds into them, I play 4 Vokeys for reference, I find them easy to you use with more options for fit and versatility, but a very soft metal and they’re durability  concerns me. My 60 for reference has too many large scars for my liking. It could be course conditions, but I don’t consider the courses around here shorty. They are, in my opinion, built for the purist as they are a gorgeous build. I’m looking at switching into the MG4, or Jaws as both are built by very reputable wedge makers, overseen should be the word used. 

They are no way a bad wedge, but don’t seem to push the envelope on tech. Can’t go wrong with them, but it seems like others are equivalent if not better.

I think the other part of that is how are wedges supposed to really push the envelope in terms of tech? Outside of wedges which are a more cavity back design so weight can be moved to add forgiveness I see minimal areas for blade style wedges to make real strides. I will be more than happy to be proven wrong though!

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

7 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I think the other part of that is how are wedges supposed to really push the envelope in terms of tech? Outside of wedges which are a more cavity back design so weight can be moved to add forgiveness I see minimal areas for blade style wedges to make real strides. I will be more than happy to be proven wrong though!

I guess one would follow progression of irons as that person lowered their scoring average? Moving from game improvement to players distance to blades for example. Spin would be where they can alter their tech, those Cobra Snakebites would be a good example of that. 

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

15 hours ago, unccross said:

They look sharp!  I’m going to be in the market for wedges this year, have no idea what to get. 

Having tested the Edison wedges recently for MGS they are worth a look.  They stayed in my bag and replaced an SM9.  I had two others try them for a round and both said they could easily replace their clevelands.  Check out the review thread for detailed info.  

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60966-the-edison-challenge-featuring-edison-20-wedges/#comments

Edited by Shapotomous

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.