Testers Wanted: Sun Mountain Stand Bag and Travel Bag ×

Forum Member Reviews: Callaway Whitebox Testing

Great finals so far!  Thanks to everyone for the dedication and reports! I've enjoyed reading them!

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Callaway is still the wind king. 💨 🤴 

WITB

Have any of the testers or anyone else that have tried these seen imperfections in the clear coat? I got a sleeve and Golf Galaxy let me have one from their fitting inventory to test out on the course. 3 of the 4 balls have had a little spot were the clear coat had what looks like it had a little bubble when applying it.  

WITB:

Driver: Titleist TSR3 :titleist-small: with TPT Nitro 15Hi 

5 wood: Calloway Paradym Triple Diamond :callaway-small: with TPT Power 15Lo

Driving Iron: Tour Edge Exotics EXS Ti-Utility :tour-edge:

Hybrid: PXG 0317X Gen2 hybrid :PXG: with TPT Power 15Lo

Irons: Takomo 101T :Takomo: with Nippon Modus 120 shafts :Nippon:

Wedges: Celveland RTX4 50 Degree, Calloway Jaws Raw 58 degree Z grind and 54 degree S grind

Putter: Edel EAS 4.0 :edel-golf-1:

Ball: Srixon Z Star Diamond / Z Star XV :srixon-small:

Official 2024 TPT Shaft Test

3 minutes ago, ZackS said:

Have any of the testers or anyone else that have tried these seen imperfections in the clear coat? I got a sleeve and Golf Galaxy let me have one from their fitting inventory to test out on the course. 3 of the 4 balls have had a little spot were the clear coat had what looks like it had a little bubble when applying it.  

I have only had a dozen and haven't noticed any on mine. 

WITB

7 minutes ago, ZackS said:

I didn't notice anything on any of the balls I received.

Live Life...oh and golf a lot!

In the Bag:

Driver & 3 Wood: Titleist TSi3                Hybrids: Callaway Paradym and Ping

Irons: Mizuno 225 Pro  (5-PW)               Wedges: Taylormade MG4 50*, Taylormade Hi-Toe 56*, Ping Glide 4.0 60* (Vokeys are resting downstairs right now 😁

Putter: Alternate between Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 and Scotty Cameron Phantom 12.5

1 hour ago, ZackS said:

Could it possibly be that they used them in the demo? Site and then put them back in a box?

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

1 hour ago, ZackS said:

One of the White Box balls that I received had an imperfection. 20240210_063835.jpg.070b3b1b5e1bf2485e222f84dc9fcb1c.jpg

AKA Dark Horse

State of my game:  "Breaking 85" is the new "Breaking 80".

Wonder if mgs hq will notice some when they do the individual ball testing? Excited to read it. 

WITB

40 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

Could it possibly be that they used them in the demo? Site and then put them back in a box?

I purchased a sleeve and the one they gave me was just from their inventory for fitting purposes and pulled it straight out of a new sleeve so they were all new balls. 

Edited by ZackS

WITB:

Wedges: Celveland RTX4 50 Degree, Calloway Jaws Raw 58 degree Z grind and 54 degree S grind

3 hours ago, ZackS said:

I haven't had any issues or problems and am now on my 2nd dozen of the Chrome Tour Xs. My dad bought a dozen of the Chrome Tours and he hasn't said anything or had any problems either. That is a pretty small sample size to work with, but no issues from us!

TaylorMade Stealth Plus 9Deg, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX

TaylorMade SIM2 3 Wood 15 Deg

TaylorMade SIM2 Rescue - 3 19 Deg

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-PW

Vokey SM9 Wedges 48, 52, and 58 Deg

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5 ( Still have my Fastback No. 1, it is in time out for a bit!)

All carried around in a customized Ping Hoofer Carry bag!

Check out my YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/@maddenbarnes

My swing in slo-mo:

3 hours ago, ZackS said:

I have not on any of the ones I've tested. I think I have one of each untouched at this point, that I plan on using this weekend, but I don't expect any imperfections if I haven't seen them yet.

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 7.1 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.2a9745c9eca1e1dcd4c3ecfd5b2823e3.png Epic speed 9 degree

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree or image.png.188f225bd9daa89b3976cdaa079d23d0.png PT15

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

image.png

This question came up in a previous ball Test from last year, so I thought I would ask it. How many balls have you managed  to retain throughout the test?

Were they Lost to woods, water, too damaged?

2 hours ago, Rob Person said:

This question came up in a previous ball Test from last year, so I thought I would ask it. How many balls have you managed  to retain throughout the test?

I have so far lost one Tour X and two Tour balls. I've only played two windy rounds though, lol. Managed to hit one of each into water on my first round. Second round the ball went OOB through some trees (push right that the wind helped on its way).
The rest of the testing was on a sim for me. I should be playing again Sunday, so there's always a chance I'll lose one or two more then. Ha ha.

Edited by Indy_Oz

2024 WITB:

:ping-small: G430 LST 9* (set at 10*) w. Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 60X

:titleist-small:TSR2 15* w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

:taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18.5* flat) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

:callaway-small:Rogue ST Max 21* 7-wood w. Mitsubishi Tensei Blue stiff/ or/ :titleist-small:TSR2 21* 7-wood w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

:taylormade-small: 5i-9i: '19 P790; P- '23 P7MC w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X

:taylormade-small: 50/09 MG3; 56/12 MG3TW

:vokey-small:SM9 60/04L

Putter- :odyssey-small: Toulon Design Memphis, 2019 model [Backup: Sik DW C 2.0]

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x/ TP5xPix ;  :callaway-small: Chrome Tour [see ball test link below] (also testing :bridgestone-small: Tour BX Mindset)

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder. :taylormade-small: Select Plus stand bag. :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

On 2/27/2024 at 7:45 AM, KenRider said:

I realized while I was lying in bed last night that I forgot to include my review scores.

image.png.631b7435df8a4f00479b80c857c995a4.png

Last week I had the chance to play Kaanapali Royal and Wailea Emerald courses on Maui. Used the Chrome Tour balls on Kaanapali and Chrome Tour X balls on Wailea.

My Arccos report from Kaanapali (below) is a good reflection on my round with Chrome Tour test balls. I drove the ball pretty well. The negative shots gained for approach shots were the result of two ~200-yard shots over water that cleared but rolled back into the bushes. I blame the altitude difference (7000 feet to 0 feet) rather than the ball as I struck both well.

20240312_170503000_iOS.jpg.ff4496e9b098322be5e3dabe0a0013d3.jpg

My Arccos report from Wailea is also a good reflection of my round. I didn't drive as well with the Chrome Tour X which was also true for my simulator sessions.

20240312_170515000_iOS.jpg.39a77f305a5bcbc7024d821e77825ee6.jpg

The biggest difference I noticed was a smiley in the Chrome Tour X after two holes even though I didn't get close to a cart path, tree, etc.

20240309_204232433_iOS.jpg.edfc3ba46bd43a414831d0eafff45dcb.jpg

Finally, here's my updated scorecard now that I've had a chance to play regulation rounds.

image.png.771c8d5a933085b18a870ef6d2b9a1e8.png

I may buy a box of the Callaway Chrome Tour with TruTrack to see if I'm willing to make a switch to them.

TaylorMade woods, Callaway irons and wedges, and an Odyssey putter

7 hours ago, Madden B said:

I haven't had any issues or problems and am now on my 2nd dozen of the Chrome Tour Xs. My dad bought a dozen of the Chrome Tours and he hasn't said anything or had any problems either. That is a pretty small sample size to work with, but no issues from us!

6 hours ago, JeremyD said:

I have not on any of the ones I've tested. I think I have one of each untouched at this point, that I plan on using this weekend, but I don't expect any imperfections if I haven't seen them yet.

10 hours ago, climberboy2000 said:

I didn't notice anything on any of the balls I received.

10 hours ago, TG8 said:

I have only had a dozen and haven't noticed any on mine. 

Thanks for the replies. Still making up my mind but seeing it on the few I got makes you second guess getting 4 dozen. But good to hear others not seeing it. 

8 hours ago, "Mr. 72" said:

One of the White Box balls that I received had an imperfection. 20240210_063835.jpg.070b3b1b5e1bf2485e222f84dc9fcb1c.jpg

This is what I saw as well. I don’t think any I saw were that big though. 

WITB:

My next round out I will be comparing the CT to the new AVX.  But as of now, the CT is a very good contender on replacing the ProV1 as my gamer for '24.  I really like how it performs so far, especially off the irons & tee box.  The less spin off the tee I think gives me confidence that my miss is not going to be off the map.  Plus my solid shots will have plenty of distance & height.  That's one thing I really do like is the flight window of this ball ... it really goes where I want it to, if that makes sense.  When I look up after contact, I can tell where the ball is going to be.  Especially with these old eyes, that have a hard time tracking it.  

I"ll post results after I have a chance to compare it to the AVX.  I won't be able to get out this weekend though because I have a beach house to take care of, getting ready for the spring.  I can play bad at golf & be pi**ed off but I can be bad at fishing, I never be mad afterwards.  It's just a relaxing, stress free time on the water that I sometimes need to get away.  

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

Well I thought this would never happen!  I bought 4 dozen Chrome Tour X's!  I guess I committed to Callaway for my Club Tournaments this year.  I still enjoy my TP5x's as well, but Chrome Tour's have me thinking of which one I want to be pulling out.  Callaway did well with these Tour's balls.  And those I let play a hole with the ball like the new Tour's as well.  They have pretty much have said what I have said about the balls.   Less side spin, the ball is going further off the tee than the Chrome Soft, as well as straighter.  Their normal ball of play are Titleist Pro V's.

Salisbury New Taylormade M1 Demo - Tailor Made Logo Png Clipart ...Driver: Taylor Made Stealth 10.5*

Mizuno Irons: JPX 923 Tour

Irons: Proto Rose

Ladies Golf Balls - Titleist Golf Logo Clipart (#110861) - PinClipartWedges: SM7 52.08; SM6 60.04

Cleveland Golf Png & Free Cleveland Golf.png Transparent Images ...Wedges: Zip core: 54, and 58 

Callaway Golf Wedge: Jaws 50

Salisbury New Taylormade M1 Demo - Tailor Made Logo Png Clipart ... Putter: Platinum S

Odyssey putter: Jail Bird

I was able to get outside again yesterday.  It was a cold windy day!  The air temp was 45-50, but the strong wind the entire round made it feel a lot colder.  Played at Eagle Mountain in Brigham City.  A lot of the testers have said the balls perform well in the wind and I would agree.  Even though we would have to sometimes play two full clubs because of the wind, the balls flew well. 

I gave a ball to all 3 of my playing partners and they all liked the way the ball came off the club face.  One guy, who used his ball for about 15 holes before he lost it, did comment how beat up the cover was.  I was hoping to get a picture of his ball, but then he lost it on the next hole.  After playing a couple outside rounds I do believe that the covers are softer than a ProV1 and other balls I play.  Have yet to see a ball after 18 holes that I'd pull out to play again (unless I'm hitting over big water).

I've posted my thoughts on this forum on what it will take to convert the ProV1 crowd.  I talked with my foursome after their experience with the ball and they would agree.  Even though they really liked the ball, at the same price point, most players will buy ProV1.  Drop the price $5-$10 and I believe Callaway has a great ball that will convert a lot of golfers.

Next up:  Back on the SIM to compare the new TPx balls vs. Tour.

And my home course opens up Monday!!!!!!!

Live Life...oh and golf a lot!

In the Bag:

Driver & 3 Wood: Titleist TSi3                Hybrids: Callaway Paradym and Ping

Irons: Mizuno 225 Pro  (5-PW)               Wedges: Taylormade MG4 50*, Taylormade Hi-Toe 56*, Ping Glide 4.0 60* (Vokeys are resting downstairs right now 😁

Putter: Alternate between Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 and Scotty Cameron Phantom 12.5

On 3/14/2024 at 12:31 PM, Rob Person said:

I haven’t lost any in the sim yet😉 well, actually the two that got hit into the top net have some black scuffs, but I think are still playable. However, that is about to change. It’s getting warm in Utah and my schedule should be such that I will finally get them outside.

Driver: Ping G425 LST, Otto Phlex UST MP5 or GD AD-TP 6X

3 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@16 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder

5 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@20 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder 

4i Hybrid: Titleist 913h (@24 deg), Diamana Blue Board hybrid

Irons: Taylormade P790 (5-6) & P770 (7-AW), KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 1x)

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 TW grind 56 (@55) & 60, KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 2x)

Putter: Sacks Parente 91 aka "The Duke", 34 inches

Ball: Taylormade TP5

On 3/14/2024 at 8:37 AM, ZackS said:

Mine were good. Agree one of the other testers posted pics of his, with that issue, I examined every ball in the box.

Driver: Ping G425 LST, Otto Phlex UST MP5 or GD AD-TP 6X

3 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@16 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder

5 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@20 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder 

4i Hybrid: Titleist 913h (@24 deg), Diamana Blue Board hybrid

Irons: Taylormade P790 (5-6) & P770 (7-AW), KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 1x)

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 TW grind 56 (@55) & 60, KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 2x)

Putter: Sacks Parente 91 aka "The Duke", 34 inches

Ball: Taylormade TP5

On 2/24/2024 at 2:54 PM, Erin B said:

Final Review: The Callaway Chrome Tour and Chrome Tour X.

Hello MSG Troops and fellow golfers. This is my ball test of the Callaway Chrome Tour and Chrome Tour X balls. This is my first test ever for MGS and I feel fortunate that I was selected to test these versions of the Callaway golf balls. I’ve been a member of MGS for under a year so believe me, this is a big responsibility. But just because I'm new doesn’t mean I haven’t been active. I have done some informal testing and review of several golf related products on MGS to include New Level irons and Newton graphite shafts. I have also run some polls on the forum, so I am learning my way around MGS.

aHR0cHM6Ly9tZWRpYTAuZ2lwaHkuY29tL21lZGlhL3YxLlkybGtQVGM1TUdJM05qRXhNWFZxZVd0Mk1XWjNkMjFoWm5ScWJXazJZ-jlwYm5SbGNtNWhiRjluYVdaZllubGZhV1FtWTNROVp3L2wzOTZHTEhTSDht.gif.689807ee9687fe274f66df3455d24632.gif

A little about myself and my golf experience. I picked up golf when I joined the U.S. Air Force. I immediately fell in love. I never had the opportunity to play golf in my youth, my dad said a golf course is just wasted pastureland. I was raised on farms and ranches, so land was viewed differently and sports, well, that was football. I did convince him to let me run track; to prepare for football. Back to the point, I played my first round of golf at Kirtland AFB NM, and I was hooked! That was in 1994 and I haven’t looked back. I now play on the Veteran Golfers Association tour, local tournaments, and recreationally in Cheyenne WY where I reside.

Most of my golf career I have played the Titleist family of golf balls, but a couple of years ago I started playing OnCore. I decided to give them a try because of Josh Allen. He is a hero here in Wyoming and a spokesperson for OnCore. So, I figured why not? I have played OnCore for almost 3 years but have slowly become dissatisfied. I just was not getting the results with them that I once was, but I’ve never had a let-down with Titleist, so I was leaning on going back to Titleist. Then I was selected to test these new Callaway golf balls. So, let's see where the Callaway’s shake out.

Let’s talk about my game. I have a steeper swing than most golfers, I learned to play irons only and played that way for a couple of years. I was taught to pinch the ball, hitting it first before the turf. Then I learned how to hit the woods and driver. My drive is around 260 now that I am older with a ball speed of about 150. I hit my 7 iron about 170 with an average ball speed of 115mph. The weakest part of my game is getting off the tee, and my strongest part is my short game. I also scramble very well. I am hitting a Ping 410 LST driver with a stiff Steadfast shaft, I carry the TaylorMade BRNR mini in stiff (A MUST HAVE CLUB), Titleist PT 17 steel shaft, New Level 902 PD irons in Project X IO Xstiff shafts, PXG wedges, and PXG Bat Attack putter.

There you have it, a little info about me. With that, let the carnage begin! Drum Roll Please...

The Arrival😀

Callawayunbox.jpg.a650f8a0273bda49668689f0636a7037.jpg

The next thing was to get measurements…

Callawaymeasure1.jpg.594d8e015cf2e0338ab33fc3becf4113.jpg

Then on to the scales…

Callawayweighin1.jpg.4badb9e39514c110727a7777a112cfbc.jpg

These ladies did not complain at all about the measurement/weigh in and I was pleasantly surprised that I received no back and forth about it. The balls were all the same weight and measurement. I don’t have a durometer so I couldn’t measure the hardness.

If you recall I received both the Chrome Tour and Chrome Tour X models. Every ball was equal except for the labeling designating them as Chrome Tour or Chrome Tour X and were numbered either with a 1 or a 4. I was only given six balls of each flavor.

The balls retail on the Callaway website for $54.99 and from Callaway you can personalize them with three lines of text with 8 color choices. You can also get them in the Triple Track version or the clean version.

First impressions (9/10)🧐

CallawayCTX.jpg.53ee53bbb9efa1444804fb22d71649ea.jpg

First impressions were that they remind me of every other Callaway Triple Track golf ball. I am neither here nor there with aiming aids. The ball felt like a higher end golf ball so I decided to inspect them and found no blemishes, no warts, no scars on them which tells me Callaway golf balls go through a pretty good quality assurance review.

These balls look great. They had no imperfections so the only thing I can complain about is the Triple Track itself. Not much of a complaint, I can take or leave it. Not much more to say about that.

Aesthetics (9/10)🤓

I like the Callaway logo and lettering. It is clean and represents Callaway and their attention to detail. Again, the QA on these balls is outstanding.

The Numbers👽

unnamed.gif.708c02960e592d6c16b6b80c2416af35.gif

This is where the Chrome Tour and the Chrome Tour X separate themselves. Both balls felt firmer than the OnCore Vero X1/X2 and the Titleist Pro V1/1X/1X Left Dash balls. Both balls were hit in the sim and I saw some interesting numbers. The Chrome Tour ball felt heavy compared to the Chrome Tour X. What I mean by that is the Chrome Tour didn’t feel very lively. The Chrome Tour X felt like it jumped off the face and that feeling resonated with every club except the putter. Both balls felt the same when putting. The balls were more even on the course though, so take the sim with a grain of salt.

With a 7 iron I generated an average of 6200RPM with the Chrome Tour while I averaged 5800RPM with the Chrome Tour X. That affected the distance. The Chrome Tour X was longer by 15 yards with a 7 iron. This changed on the course. The balls were much closer in distance in real play. I hit the Chrome Tour 185 with a 6 iron (pin high and it held) on a par 3, I hit the Chrome Tour X 190 (over the green, on the fringe but it held there) with the same 6 iron. There were some times when I hit the X a little farther, but I think those were outside the norm. For instance, I was 245 on my second shot into a par 5 and I wanted to see how the long iron handled the ball. I hit the Chrome Tour X 236 with a 4 iron. I had to use a 17-degree fairway wood to get that with the Chrome Tour. Again, not a big deal, I think I pured the 4 iron.

Callaway Chrome Tour (16 / 20)

Callaway Chrome Tour X (18 / 20)

On The Course🤠

flagblowing.jpg.a9ca5f9cf5952253d176618a96d65271.jpg

I found both balls to feel good off the tee and in the fairway. The Chrome Tour was not as long as the Chrome Tour X but was closer than I thought. The sim did not do the Chrome Tour justice. I started to like it on the course. Not as much as the Chrome Tour X, but more than I thought I would based on sim numbers. Both balls were exceptional around the greens.

Driver💪

CallawayBallanddriver.jpg.fd81e395cd9d14a0d44e0f428a751935.jpg

Callaway Chrome Tour: This ball was less than what I get out of the Titleist and OnCore balls. I was not as impressed with the Chrome Tour off the tee as I was with the Chrome Tour X. Recall what I said about the Chrome Tour being heavy in the sim? Well on the course the ball seemed a bit livelier. Not as long, had more spin than the Chrome Tour X, but it was pretty good; pretty darn good!

Callaway Chrome Tour X: This ball played very similar to the Titleist Pro V1X and OnCore Vero X2. It did feel a little firmer than the above mentioned but I didn’t mind too much. It felt like the ball jumped off the clubface in the sim. This same feeling was noticed on the course. This ball can go KABOOM!!!

Irons🏋️‍♂️

CannonShot.jpg.be1e158122af77d901fe21d2fc4a6637.jpg

Callaway Chrome Tour: The ball felt better in real play. In the sim I didn’t like the spin; I didn’t like the feel at impact. That all changed on the course. The ball felt good. Like REAL GOOD, and it didn't disappoint on approach to the green. (Yeah, I have a warm fuzzy for this ball now.)

Callaway Chrome Tour X: The ball fired off the clubface and it felt like it was going to go forever. I love the way this ball feels off the irons. Approach shots were good as well. 

Both balls had good flight off the clubs. I really didn’t notice much difference in ball flight. Both balls handled the wind, but the Chrome Tour X was better in the wind. I think it's because it has a lower spin rate for me. I felt that I was getting the same spin on the course that I saw in the sim. The wind was high on this day, and I am glad it was. It gave me a good test.

Chrome Tour (17 /20) 

Chrome Tour X (19 / 20)

Wedges / Putting🏒

100yardshot.jpg.1eb7d8a5b736e4a517ce1c884ce2a72f.jpg

Wedges🙈

Both balls felt very similar in the short game. I didn’t see much of a difference in distance from 100 yards. What I did see was a lot of ball checking. The guy I was playing with was in disbelief on how both balls checked. The Chrome Tour had a bit more spin, but both held the green. Low or high shots still generated spin. 

Putting🤬

Both balls felt firmer than what I am used to in the OnCore and Titleist flagship balls. Both balls felt hotter off the face of the putter and if I game them I would have to adjust a bit. I’m not saying that’s good or bad, just different for my putting stroke. This showed its ugly head on the course. I was two putting all day, made 1 ten-foot putt but most every putt was long. I still don't think that's going to be a huge issue for me, it is winter golf but these balls are firm.

On The Course🏞️

golf2.jpg.2029544f7fb57e1f7dd0d318ee2ef5bc.jpg

Chrome Tour (7 / 10) Distance is the mark down here. The ball played well, just not as long as I am used to.

Chrome Tour X (9 / 10) I was bombing this ball. Even in the wind! The ball just flies! That coupled with the fact that it holds greens almost as well as it's sister, well, I'm buying not selling.

The Good, the bad, the in-between

Callaway Chrome Tour (7 / 10) On a shorter course I would play this ball. The sim lied to me darn it, it LIED! It isn't the red headed stepchild of the Callaway line up. It's pretty good.

Callaway Chrome Tour X (9 / 10) Ok, ok, ok, I am buying these. Distance is not as long as my gamer, but it's not too far off. This being winter golf I think these are going to play even better. I really like them.

Play it or trade it🤔

Callaway Chrome Tour (15 / 20) I wouldn't turn them down, but I'd buy the X's over these. I did not like this ball in the sim, I like this ball on the course. I would play this ball on courses around 6500 yards or shorter. It plays better outdoors than in the sim.

Callaway Chrome Tour X (18 / 20) Get ready pro shops, department stores, and Callaway website, I will buy these thank you! I really like this ball. I like the feel and the liveliness. It is staying in the bag and being played. Will I buy them over the OnCore? Yep, most definitely, but will I buy them over Titleist? That depends if the store has these Callaway or Titleist, and what the price is. If I am saving $10 dollars over the Titleist, then the answer is yes.

In conclusion😬

I like the Chrome Tour X more than I do the Chrome Tour. I will buy the X over the Tour but that doesn't mean the Tour is a slouch, just that the X fits me better. I think Callaway hit a home run with the X. I would buy it over my current player, the OnCore Vero X2 and it competes with the Pro V1 family. The most impressive thing both balls do is hold the green. I was in awe by how both balls checked up. Especially on hard winter greens. I haven't seen this type of performance in a firm golf ball in like, ever. If you like Callaway balls, these are a must. If you are looking for a better ball than your gamer, give these balls a shot. You want lower spin, go with the Chrome Tour X. If you are looking for more spin, then the Chrome Tour may be your new ball.

Final Score🥴

Chrome Tour (80 / 100)

Chrome Tour X (91 / 100)

Thanks again for this opportunity MGS and thank you MGS Troops and golfers for reading! Happy Birdie Hunting!

After an 8 day golf whirlwind in Mesquite NV I can say that the Callaway Chrome Tour X is the best Callaway ball I have ever used. It is in line with the Titleist Pro V1 X. In fact, I couldn't tell the difference in the two. I played them both as well as the Chrome Tour and the Chrome Soft versions. The only ball I liked better was the Pro V1 X left dash. I was not overly blown away with the Chrome Tour and lesser so with the Chrome Soft versions. As you all may already know through my comments on other posts, I have added the Chrome Tour X to my bag. I really like the performance of it and feels like it fits my game. I still feel that the Chrome Tour spins more (FOR ME) than the Chrome Tour X. I have seen in in the sim testing and on the course, it just spins less for me. Hope this helps anyone out there looking for a ball change. Happy Birdy Hunting.

Edited by Erin B

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Driver: Callaway Paradym TD 9* Driver- Steadfast S Jupiter 45” shaft

Ping 425-6 Dot Newton tipped 45" shaft

TaylorMade 11.5* Mini Driver-Steadfast S 45” shaft 

Hybrids: PXG 0317 17*, 19* Steadfast S Jupiter shafts, PXG 211 22*, 25*-Project X Even Flow Riptide X shafts

Irons: New Level 6-PW 902PD 6.5 ProjectX IO shafts

Wedges: PXG 311 Gen 3 52-56 Xstiff KBS TourLite shafts

Putter: TaylorMade Truss Heal

PXG Bat Attack

Ping Anser

Ball: OnCore VeroX 

Titleist Pro V1X

Callaway Chrome TourX

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63748-bridgestone-mindset-golf-ball-testing-sampling-and-shot-scope-ops/?do=findComment&comment=1046248

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62621-forum-member-reviews-callaway-whitebox-testing/?do=findComment&comment=1020558

On 2/2/2024 at 12:16 PM, Madden B said:

Another update  - Played another head to head round with both balls, this time from the Black Tees. A note on the Black Tees is this is the longest tees at my home course and I have a couple of Junior tournaments that are actually played from these tees upcoming this summer. Even the high school tournaments are played from the Blues, but I really am trying to push myself and this helps with having to hit lower irons into the green and I want to practice a little bit from those tees. And I ended up shooting a 31 with the Tour X (-5 under par), compared to a 38 with the Tour. I hit a few putts, including about a 50 footer for eagle on the 3rd hole. The Tour X is longer for me, plain and simple. I consistently hit it 10-15 yards past the Chrome Tour with driver, which made a big difference in how the Black Tees played for me. I was feeling it and so confident standing over the Tour X with every swing and putt, it was awesome. That is only the 3rd time I have shot a 31 on the front nine at Glen Eagle, and that was just the 2nd time I played the Black Tees so it was just lights out from the start. Seriously, one of the best rounds I have ever played and this ball is going in my bag, period. I feel like I hit the Chrome Tour really well, just couldn't quite make birdies with it today. And I just ordered a few dozen of the Tour X, I am committed!!!

IMG_20240317_103954130_HDR.jpg.69ca988b672f03f15a73c38a504c9277.jpg

Played one of the best rounds of my life with the Tour X, I am fully onboard and convinced that this ball is a homerun. I even had my dad order me 3 dozen of them, I am fully committed to it for this summer and all my tournaments. Take a look!

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5 ( Still have my Fastback No. 1, it is in time out for a bit!)

My swing in slo-mo:

On 3/14/2024 at 12:31 PM, Rob Person said:

I lost the last of my dozen on day 4 or 5 of the 8 day Mesquite golf trip. I think it was on Wolf Creek, but I couldn't be positive. I did buy the 'buy 3 get the 4th dozen for free' box of the Chrome Tour X's.

Hybrids: PXG 0317 17*, 19* Steadfast S Jupiter shafts, PXG 211 22*, 25*-Project X Even Flow Riptide X shafts

PXG Bat Attack

Ping Anser

Titleist Pro V1X

Callaway Chrome TourX

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63748-bridgestone-mindset-golf-ball-testing-sampling-and-shot-scope-ops/?do=findComment&comment=1046248

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62621-forum-member-reviews-callaway-whitebox-testing/?do=findComment&comment=1020558

40 minutes ago, Madden B said:

Played one of the best rounds of my life with the Tour X, I am fully onboard and convinced that this ball is a homerun. I even had my dad order me 3 dozen of them, I am fully committed to it for this summer and all my tournaments. Take a look!

Great shooting!

WITB

FINAL REVIEW: On The Course and Summary

The weather finally broke in Pittsburgh long enough for me to get out on the course and play a full 18 holes with these balls. 

The Setup and Tools:

• Balls: I played the first 6 holes with the Chrome Tour. Holes 7-12 with the Titleist AVX and 13-18 with my gamer ball with the Chrome Tour X. 
  • Driver: The Cobra Aerojet LS (recommended by MGS of course). https://mygolfspy.com/reviews/drivers/cobra-aerojet-ls/
  • Woods: Ping G410 (3w, 4h, 5h)
  • Irons: Srixon ZX7 MKii
  • Wedges: Vokey SM8
  • Putter Queen B #6

image.png.c714af3cd8a99cae5f6f6eca86fe5f84.pngimage.png.97b447e98b91f1218d90355b85f1e6a2.pngimage.png.90bfb73e22ef8f23d0856d19e150959c.png
image.png.07a66533643b1600b9fa4d8363126f08.pngimage.png.2e8fd07c02820abdc1ca7708050f2197.pngimage.png.f051af9571ba3908214aa9ed68c6e0cc.pngimage.png.10d70936873a4e38e2a08f07fd8c889f.pngimage.png.77d1c4ed2fbc84b9426e448b2de61415.png

How they played: 

Chrome Tour:

I played the Chrome Tour on the first hole. This was the first drive off a real tee box in quite a while and maybe it's because I haven't learned any bad habits yet this year... I crushed it. 270 down the middle. The ball flight was nice and low. The wind was up this day and I was able to keep it low between the Low Spin driver and this ball. The performance was 🤌 . I can't say I hit every drive in the first 6 holes as well as the first. What I can say is that because of the lower spin profile I've created with this driver and ball combo, I didn't have any balls go too wayward. So for that, I was happy. Distance wise I can say it was what I would expect coming from a premium tour-level ball.

The sound of the ball coming off the club face was a nice soft sound but the feel was balanced. Not too hard, not to soft. 

With my irons and wedges, I had a similar experience. Nothing out of the ordinary. From the fairway, these performed as expected. Soft landing with greenside spin. 

Off the putter, I like the firmer feel of these but of course, some of that is due to the Betti QB6. The alignment stripes were there when I needed them, but typically I stay away from that as it tends to make me miss more than make, but that's a me issue and not the ball. 

RATING: 8/10

IMG_1363Large.jpeg.05cd9ee66235ba73b67384dfad09b514.jpeg

Chrome Tour X: 

The Chrome Tour X balls I played from holes 13-18. This is where I noticed a difference. Especially off the driver and irons. 

I'm caught in the middle for these. Off the tee this ball was very floaty. This ball didn't do me any favors in the Western PA late winter wind. I couldn't keep it down, but at the same time, it flew off the club face with some speed so distance didn't suffer much. 

The sound was the same as the Chrome Tour so no differences there. 

The biggest difference I noticed with the Chrome Tour X was with my long irons. I had 2 shots from 180 that I was able to get up and onto the green with a nice soft landing and quick bite that held the green. I don't have to tell anyone here how satisfying it is to hold a green from 180 out. The higher flight of the X helped with the trajectory and landing of the ball on these tiny greens and helped me par these holes. 

Putting was the same as the Chrome Tour. 

RATING: 9/10 - I give these an extra point for the approach shot control.

IMG_1368Large.jpeg.52808fa1bce93176110c147e7e477a89.jpeg

Now I did use the Titleist AVX for 6 holes in the middle of this round to get a good sense of the differences. And the biggest takeaway for me at least is that there isn't much of a difference. I found the Chrome Tour and Chrome Tour X to be every bit as premium as the AVX. The X gave me a bit more of a higher trajectory, which has is pros and cons but not as much as with the ProV1x. I think in the summer when the wind dies the CTX would be my ball of choice. When I won't be as penalized for higher ball flight. 

Summary:

Well, it's been quite the journey putting the Callaway Chrome Tour and Chrome Tour X golf balls through their paces. From the excitement of unboxing to the meticulous examination of weight consistency and inner workings, these balls have left a lasting impression. Part 1 kicked off with the anticipation of exploring what sets these balls apart, followed by the insightful "Midway" review, where early impressions started taking shape, especially highlighting the meticulous quality control and the satisfying feel off the putter.

Part 2 delved into the nuances of putting, exploring alignment, sound, and feel, while Part 3 took us outdoors for pitching and chipping tests, revealing the Chrome Tour X's edge in control and performance. Finally, the ultimate test came on the course, where each ball's unique characteristics shone through. While the Chrome Tour impressed with consistent performance and distance, the Chrome Tour X stood out for its trajectory control, particularly with long irons, earning it extra points. Overall, these balls proved themselves worthy contenders in the premium golf ball market, offering comparable performance to other top brands like Titleist's AVX. Whether facing the wind or landing soft approach shots, the Callaway Chrome Tour series proved to be a reliable companion for any golfer looking for consistency and control in their game.

I hope these reviews can help at least one person out there decide if they want to put the Chrome Tour or Chrome Tour X into play. I know I will be partaking in the buy 3 dozen get one Free deal that's out there right now. And I'll be putting my faith into the Chrome Tour X

Thanks for reading and thank to Callaway and MyGolfSpy.com for the opportunity to test these! 

The Scorecard: Not bad for the first time out. (The back nine was a scramble so...) (oh and I'm Bobby with all 4s and 5s)

IMG_1366 Large.jpeg

Edited by Digiburdie

Twitter: @bobbyburdette

Instagram: bobbyburdette

2 hours ago, Digiburdie said:

FINAL REVIEW: On The Course and Summary

The weather finally broke in Pittsburgh long enough for me to get out on the course and play a full 18 holes with these balls. 

The Setup and Tools:

• Balls: I played the first 6 holes with the Chrome Tour. Holes 7-12 with the Titleist AVX and 13-18 with my gamer ball with the Chrome Tour X. 
  • Driver: The Cobra Aerojet LS (recommended by MGS of course). https://mygolfspy.com/reviews/drivers/cobra-aerojet-ls/
  • Woods: Ping G410 (3w, 4h, 5h)
  • Irons: Srixon ZX7 MKii
  • Wedges: Vokey SM8
  • Putter Queen B #6

image.png.c714af3cd8a99cae5f6f6eca86fe5f84.pngimage.png.97b447e98b91f1218d90355b85f1e6a2.pngimage.png.90bfb73e22ef8f23d0856d19e150959c.png
image.png.07a66533643b1600b9fa4d8363126f08.pngimage.png.2e8fd07c02820abdc1ca7708050f2197.pngimage.png.f051af9571ba3908214aa9ed68c6e0cc.pngimage.png.10d70936873a4e38e2a08f07fd8c889f.pngimage.png.77d1c4ed2fbc84b9426e448b2de61415.png

How they played: 

Chrome Tour:

I played the Chrome Tour on the first hole. This was the first drive off a real tee box in quite a while and maybe it's because I haven't learned any bad habits yet this year... I crushed it. 270 down the middle. The ball flight was nice and low. The wind was up this day and I was able to keep it low between the Low Spin driver and this ball. The performance was 🤌 . I can't say I hit every drive in the first 6 holes as well as the first. What I can say is that because of the lower spin profile I've created with this driver and ball combo, I didn't have any balls go too wayward. So for that, I was happy. Distance wise I can say it was what I would expect coming from a premium tour-level ball.

The sound of the ball coming off the club face was a nice soft sound but the feel was balanced. Not too hard, not to soft. 

With my irons and wedges, I had a similar experience. Nothing out of the ordinary. From the fairway, these performed as expected. Soft landing with greenside spin. 

Off the putter, I like the firmer feel of these but of course, some of that is due to the Betti QB6. The alignment stripes were there when I needed them, but typically I stay away from that as it tends to make me miss more than make, but that's a me issue and not the ball. 

RATING: 8/10

IMG_1363Large.jpeg.05cd9ee66235ba73b67384dfad09b514.jpeg

Chrome Tour X: 

The Chrome Tour X balls I played from holes 13-18. This is where I noticed a difference. Especially off the driver and irons. 

I'm caught in the middle for these. Off the tee this ball was very floaty. This ball didn't do me any favors in the Western PA late winter wind. I couldn't keep it down, but at the same time, it flew off the club face with some speed so distance didn't suffer much. 

The sound was the same as the Chrome Tour so no differences there. 

The biggest difference I noticed with the Chrome Tour X was with my long irons. I had 2 shots from 180 that I was able to get up and onto the green with a nice soft landing and quick bite that held the green. I don't have to tell anyone here how satisfying it is to hold a green from 180 out. The higher flight of the X helped with the trajectory and landing of the ball on these tiny greens and helped me par these holes. 

Putting was the same as the Chrome Tour. 

RATING: 9/10 - I give these an extra point for the approach shot control.

IMG_1368Large.jpeg.52808fa1bce93176110c147e7e477a89.jpeg

Now I did use the Titleist AVX for 6 holes in the middle of this round to get a good sense of the differences. And the biggest takeaway for me at least is that there isn't much of a difference. I found the Chrome Tour and Chrome Tour X to be every bit as premium as the AVX. The X gave me a bit more of a higher trajectory, which has is pros and cons but not as much as with the ProV1x. I think in the summer when the wind dies the CTX would be my ball of choice. When I won't be as penalized for higher ball flight. 

Summary:

Well, it's been quite the journey putting the Callaway Chrome Tour and Chrome Tour X golf balls through their paces. From the excitement of unboxing to the meticulous examination of weight consistency and inner workings, these balls have left a lasting impression. Part 1 kicked off with the anticipation of exploring what sets these balls apart, followed by the insightful "Midway" review, where early impressions started taking shape, especially highlighting the meticulous quality control and the satisfying feel off the putter.

Part 2 delved into the nuances of putting, exploring alignment, sound, and feel, while Part 3 took us outdoors for pitching and chipping tests, revealing the Chrome Tour X's edge in control and performance. Finally, the ultimate test came on the course, where each ball's unique characteristics shone through. While the Chrome Tour impressed with consistent performance and distance, the Chrome Tour X stood out for its trajectory control, particularly with long irons, earning it extra points. Overall, these balls proved themselves worthy contenders in the premium golf ball market, offering comparable performance to other top brands like Titleist's AVX. Whether facing the wind or landing soft approach shots, the Callaway Chrome Tour series proved to be a reliable companion for any golfer looking for consistency and control in their game.

I hope these reviews can help at least one person out there decide if they want to put the Chrome Tour or Chrome Tour X into play. I know I will be partaking in the buy 3 dozen get one Free deal that's out there right now. And I'll be putting my faith into the Chrome Tour X

Thanks for reading and thank to Callaway and MyGolfSpy.com for the opportunity to test these! 

The Scorecard: Not bad for the first time out. (The back nine was a scramble so...) (oh and I'm Bobby with all 4s and 5s)

IMG_1366 Large.jpeg

I really liked the X in testing as well. I enjoyed your read and will use your strategy in future ball evaluations. Thanks!

PXG Bat Attack

Ping Anser

Titleist Pro V1X

Callaway Chrome TourX

On 3/14/2024 at 8:37 AM, ZackS said:

I bought the 4 dozen deal and marked them already. Haven’t seen any imperfections.

PXG Bat Attack

Ping Anser

Titleist Pro V1X

Callaway Chrome TourX

4 hours ago, Erin B said:

I lost the last of my dozen on day 4 or 5 of the 8 day Mesquite golf trip. I think it was on Wolf Creek, but I couldn't be positive. I did buy the 'buy 3 get the 4th dozen for free' box of the Chrome Tour X's.

I love love love Wolf Creek! I need to get down there and play again, what a beautiful course that is!

My swing in slo-mo:

On 3/14/2024 at 1:31 PM, Rob Person said:

I have four left of each model. One had bad road rash. I think I lost two in the water. I'm not sure about the other one.

AKA Dark Horse

State of my game:  "Breaking 85" is the new "Breaking 80".

19 minutes ago, Madden B said:

I love love love Wolf Creek! I need to get down there and play again, what a beautiful course that is!

Yes sir!!! It was in great shape!

PXG Bat Attack

Ping Anser

Titleist Pro V1X

Callaway Chrome TourX