MetaFlex CBT Shaft - Any experience?

Curious if anyone has had experience with the MetaFlex CBT Shaft? A friend of mine had one and I was able to pop it in my TSR3 driver. I only took about 20 swings, but I noticed an increase of 4-5 MPH swing speed and an increase of ball speed of 5-6 MPH. My typical ball speed and carry is around 167 MPH with a carry of 285 yards, and after just a few swings, I was carrying over 300 yards with ball speeds around 173 MPH, something I have never seen. Anyone had the chance to try this yet?

I have one in my Smoke AI 8degree.  I bought one site unseen several months ago after reading about the technology and hearing how much different it was from anything else out there.  You cannot believe the impact it has made on my driving game.  Average of 40% fairways to 46% over two months, increase in swing speed by 3-5mph and balls speed.  More importantly the dispersion I have seen has shrunk considerably.  The confidence I feel with the shaft is higher than ever.  It did take about 2weeks and a lot of balls to get used to the whipiness of it.  It flexes like a noodle and the transition took a second to realize that you don't have to change your swing, quite the contrary, I can jump on it more.

I am 46, 9HI and swing speed between 110-117.  This shaft changed everything for me.  I tried out the velacore, several GD AD's and a variety of other shafts.  The only other one I considered was the BGT Brava SE.  Everyone I play with can't believe that I can hit it with that flex on it but they are a believer after trying it a couple times.

Not sure if this helps but I love mine and wouldn't use anything else.

Starting at:

• Driver - Callaway Paradym Smoke AI 8dgree with Metaflex CBT 6H
  • Hybrid - Sub 70 949x 3h with GD AD-DI shaft
  • Driving Iron - Ping iCrossover 2 - 18o w/ GD AD-DI Shaft
  • Iron's - Titleist T150 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 XS
  • Wedges - Joe Kwok custom wedges 49, 53 ,58 degree with BGT ZNE Wedge shafts
  • Putter - Bettinardi Queen B #14 35" w/ BGT Stability Tour Cobalt shaft
  • Golf Ball - Maxfli Tour X, Vice Pro
  • Bag - Ping Hoofer and Nevr Looz cart bag (best bag ever)

Thanks @onyxwulf! Super helpful - curious if there was a learning curve getting used to the flex and bend of the shaft?

The reason I ask is I've tried the Autoflex, but to me, it felt like I was swinging a pool noodle. The results were OK, but I couldn't get used to how flexible and whippy it was.

Any issue with controlling spin numbers?

• 2 weeks later...

I play their Freeflex FF45 driver shaft and it is something else! I swing just under 100mph and saw about 4-5mph jump in ball speed. Best thing is that I don't feel stiff and sore the next day like I used to. I also tried the Metaflex 5h but it felt much stiffer so I stayed with the 45. Funny thing is that the 5H shaft has a much softer torque than the 45 on paper, but it feels stiffer when I swing it. Hella weird how that works.  My friend who plays their 6H shaft loves it. Says he sold his ventus blue to buy the new shaft and his swing went from 110 to 114 immediately. He is a low digit golfer and can get a bit jerky on his swing but says the shaft is much more stable than any other shafts he's played. I read that Metaflex shafts are for faster speeds so I guess I'll see how it goes with Freeflex.

I rotate out the FF45 and MetaFlex 5H in my driver. Bought a few different heads this spring to try out. So far, the Smoke and FF45 is a great combo, and the MetaFlex and Cobra Darkspeed is another great combo platter. Tried both on my Qi 10 LS, but something about TM drivers and I don't really mesh.

Last year it was a smorgasbord of bombs with the FF45 and APradym, but the club head developed a crack, so Callaway replaced it under warranty, hence heading back to the drawing board!

Playing the FW45 in my BRNR mini driver, it's a weapon in its own right for those holes with OB / trees / water etc. along with the 3w and 5w when they are in the bag, course dependent. 

we got a pool and a pond... the pond would be good for you

15 hours ago, G-Ram said:

I rotate out the FF45 and MetaFlex 5H in my driver. Bought a few different heads this spring to try out. So far, the Smoke and FF45 is a great combo, and the MetaFlex and Cobra Darkspeed is another great combo platter. Tried both on my Qi 10 LS, but something about TM drivers and I don't really mesh.

Last year it was a smorgasbord of bombs with the FF45 and APradym, but the club head developed a crack, so Callaway replaced it under warranty, hence heading back to the drawing board!

Playing the FW45 in my BRNR mini driver, it's a weapon in its own right for those holes with OB / trees / water etc. along with the 3w and 5w when they are in the bag, course dependent. 

What would you say is the biggest difference between Freeflex and Metaflex shafts? I read all the articles about them and tried them both too. But I want to see if others experienced the same things I did and if what the articles said is true.

I find the FF to be "whippier". It definitely produces the faster chs consistently. When you catch the sweet spot with a good swing it produces some bombs.

For my somewhat herky-jerky arm swing, so far I find the MetaFlex to be a better fit, due to its stiffer profile.

That being said, I've just started playing around building clubs etc, and notice that the heavier club heads, like the Ping G430 LST, behave better on the Meta, while the lighter heads, like the Cobra/Ai smoke, work better on the FF.

Been trying to set their swing weights all around between C8, and D0, or as close as I can get with the weights and such I currently have.

On 3/23/2024 at 3:34 AM, Bap1130 said:

I think the FF is more comparable to the AutoFlex in terms of being whippy. To me, the MetaFlex is just different - feels much more like a traditional shaft when you waggle prior to swinging, but all of the benefits of the FF/Autoflex.

Sounds like Metaflex is perfect for those who wanted FF/Autoflex to work for them but found it too whippy. With my slower speed, I liked AF405 when it first came out. Ii switched to Freeflex FF45 after the AF broke. For distance both are about the same but the FF45 is more of a fairway finder and feels better. If I could get my swing speed up to 100-105mph, I'd like to try the Metaflex 5H. Like Freeflex on steroids?

Edited by Titleist fanboy
Not done

17 hours ago, Titleist fanboy said:

Sounds like Metaflex is perfect for those who wanted FF/Autoflex to work for them but found it too whippy. With my slower speed, I liked AF405 when it first came out. Ii switched to Freeflex FF45 after the AF broke. For distance both are about the same but the FF45 is more of a fairway finder and feels better. If I could get my swing speed up to 100-105mph, I'd like to try the Metaflex 5H. Like Freeflex on steroids?

Yes, you are correct. At least that is how they feel to me. I gamed the AF 505X for a few years, then last spring jumped to the FF45. Gamed it all last season.

Over the winter been playing with the 5H. It is a stiffer profile, more like a Ventus TR red? Very stable, really enjoying it. I find the light club heads, ike the Paradigm fare very well in the FF45, while the heavier heads, like the Cobra Darkspeed are much more suited to the Meta Flex line.

I have owned an Autoflex, a Free Flex, and a Metaflex.  All 3 increased clubhead speed, ball speed and distance.  The Autoflex and the FF did not have great dispersion for me.  My swing is on the aggressive side, and both these shafts do better with a smooth tempo.  The Metaflex, as stated above, is similar in performance to the Autoflex and Metaflex, but seems to handle an aggressive swing much better.  For reference point, one of the best other shafts to work for me is the Ventus Red.  The Metaflex feels very whippy when waggling it, but that characteristic is much less noticeable when swinging the club.  This is apparently due to there Carbon Bending Technology, but I am still not quite sure how they accomplish this.

Pretty excited to get the MetaFlex 6.0 delivered tomorrow! I enjoyed the 5.0, but it seems juuuust a bit whippy for me.

I ordered in a 6.5, mistakingly thinking I already had the 6.0 DOH! I hit that shaft so straight, but low, so hoping the (second time around trying to get it right) 6.0

is a nice blend of the two! Hope to have it built and ready to play for Friday am, will report back once I have some hits with it

• 2 weeks later...

I just played 2 more rounds with the Metaflex and had 2 of the best driving rounds in a row, that I have ever had. I played with both my boys, who usually out drive me by 30 yards and I was able to keep up with one of them on most holes, which surprised both of us. One more round today, so curious to see if I can drive this well 3 days in a row.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Shipping issues didn't get my shafts to me until yesterday, so after I got back from the course, I set about building!

Did the irons in the MetaFlex iX90, and built a MetaFlex CB6.0 for the Darkspeed.

Be heading to the range to try them all out in a few hours giggity!