The Ultimate Guide to Golf Lessons: Face-to-Face vs. Online

Hi MGS community, 
(I didn't find any related topic opened so I created a new one. Excuse me if I did wrong...)

In the quest to improve in golf, every player eventually faces the decision of how to seek instruction. The options are traditionally either face-to-face lessons at a local club or, increasingly, online golf coaching. I've experienced significant improvements through both modalities, particularly with online coaching from Alex Shattuck of The Golf Room Everywhere (TGRe). This detailed comparison, enhanced by my personal gains—such as dropping my handicap by 4 in six months and adding 20 yards to all my clubs—aims to guide you in choosing the right type of golf instruction to elevate your game.

Face-to-Face Golf Lessons

Pros:

• Immediate, Hands-On Feedback: Direct interaction allows a coach to adjust your mechanics in real time.
  • Engagement and Motivation: The physical presence of an instructor can be motivating, providing a push that many golfers find beneficial.
  • Real-World Application: Learning and practicing on the golf course provide conditions that mimic actual play, which can be advantageous for applying learned techniques directly.

Cons:

• Scheduling Challenges: Finding convenient times for both student and instructor can be difficult, particularly with sought-after coaches.
  • Higher Cost: Frequent sessions can become costly, limiting the number of lessons some golfers can afford.
  • Geographical Limitations: Not everyone has access to top-tier golf instructors or facilities nearby.

Online Golf Lessons (ex: The Golf Room Everywhere)

Pros:

• Flexibility: With online lessons, I submit videos via the CoachNow app, receiving detailed analysis from Alex Shattuck within hours. This setup provides the flexibility to learn on my schedule and the convenience of not having to travel.
  • Cost Efficiency: The monthly cost of online coaching equates to about one face-to-face session, offering considerable financial savings over time.
  • Year-Round Coaching: Online interaction doesn’t pause for the off-season, providing continuity that is critical for steady improvement.
  • Comprehensive Resources: TGRe offers extensive additional resources including live calls, webinars, a lifetime master plan, and a community of learners—all of which contribute to a rounded learning experience.

Cons:

• Reduced Personal Interaction: Digital communication lacks the immediacy and personal touch of face-to-face interaction.
  • Self-Discipline Required: Online learners must be motivated to practice independently and apply their learning without the physical presence of a coach.

My Journey with Alex Shattuck

Under Alex's guidance through TGRe, I've achieved remarkable progress: my handicap has improved dramatically, and my average driving distance has increased, leading to more confidence on the course. Alex’s approach combines personalized video analysis with comparative techniques to elite golfers, helping me understand and implement changes effectively. His feedback is not only timely but also enriched with strategic advice tailored to my specific needs.

Moreover, Alex's support extends beyond simple swing analysis. The inclusion of live interactions and community engagement through TGRe’s platforms has created a comprehensive learning environment that maintains my motivation and facilitates deeper understanding of the game. For instance, Alex helped me establish a fundamentally sound swing, which not only improved my current game but also set a solid base for future development, as evidenced by my Trackman handicap of 5.5.

Additionally, breaking 90 within my first year of playing was a milestone made possible through this structured and supportive online coaching environment.

Conclusion: Which is Right for You?

The choice between face-to-face and online golf lessons often comes down to personal preferences and logistical considerations.

• If you thrive under direct supervision and immediate correction, face-to-face lessons are unbeatable.
  • However, if you prefer learning at your own pace, require flexible scheduling, or need year-round access to coaching, online lessons like those offered by TGRe might be the ideal solution.

For players like myself, who seek a blend of convenience, affordability, and comprehensive instructional content, online golf coaching has proven to be transformative. It's an investment in your golfing future, offering tools and resources that traditional methods simply can't match. The key is to choose a path that not only suits your learning style but also fits into your lifestyle, ensuring that your journey in golf is both enjoyable and successful.

And you, what do you think about face-to-face VS online lessons? What do you prefer?
Are you using any lessons to improve your game or are you a self-taught player?

Edited by Corentin Vadillo
Editing layout

Corentin | Québec City, QC - B2 Golf member 🇨🇦
Average Quebec-based golfer on a quest to refine skills and deepen golfing knowledge

📊 Golfing Stats: Handicap 18 | Best Round 85 | Trackman Handicap 6.2
⛳ Favorite Courses: Celebration, Orlando (FL) | Club de Golf Orléans, St-Pétronille (QC) 
🎒 WITB:

• Driver: Titleist TSR3 9º - HZRDUS Smoke Black stiff shaft 
  • Woods: TaylorMade Stealth 3W & 5W - HZRDUS Smoke Red stiff shaft 
  • Irons: TaylorMade Stealth (5i to Gap Wedge) - Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 105 stiff shaft 
  • Wedges: Titleist SM10 Chrome (52º12F, 56°12D & 60º08M) - Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 105 stiff shaft 
  • Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Super Select 2.5+ - stock steel shaft 
  • Bag: Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black 
  • Ball: Titleist Pro V1 
  • Tracking system : Arccos Gen3. + Arccos Link Pro 

🎓 Golf Instructor: Alex Shattuck (TGRe)
🔎 Tests & Reviews :

Passionate about all things golf. Here to learn, share, and test the limits of my game.
Let's make every shot count! 🎯

• 2 weeks later...

Would be interesting to hear other's opinions on in-person vs. online coaching.  I'm currently trying to decide between trying to find a local coach or try connecting with someone on Skillest.  In our area, in person coaching has some options but trying to schedule time can be a challenge.  I think the Skillest option may end up being more flexible, but not sure if passing videos back and forth could be as good as real time, in person physical adjustments when trying to fix a swing issue.  

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FW: 3HL Callaway Paradym

FW: 5 Callaway Mavrik

Hybird: Rogue ST 5

Irons: Paradym X 6-AW, UST Dart 75g

Wedges: Vokey TM9, 52F, 58S

Putter: Odessey OG 

Callaway Chromesoft or Titleist Tour Speed

This is an interesting topic, especially as I'm going through a similar internal discussion right now.

I've been going to see a local PGA pro for lessons the last 6 months (1 5-lesson pack so far) and it's been a positive experience. But I'm asking myself if there's a better, more efficient, and importantly more economical option that will help get me similar or even better outcomes.

There are options like Skillest or Cogorno Golf or SwingTweaks along with what I assume is an infinite amount of other options. But which one do I go with? Can I get myself to get to the range or into my garage on a regular basis to work on the items they send me to do. Can I understand what they're conveying in their pre-recorded reply "lesson" they send me based on the swing video I sent them? Can we maintain a smooth/organized progression of lessons month by month and not go past a topic without me actually "getting it" or burning in the change before moving on?

There are just a lot of "what if" thoughts running through my mind about this topic and unsure what to do.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver, 11.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

18 hours ago, Shrek74 said:

This is an interesting topic, especially as I'm going through a similar internal discussion right now.

I've been going to see a local PGA pro for lessons the last 6 months (1 5-lesson pack so far) and it's been a positive experience. But I'm asking myself if there's a better, more efficient, and importantly more economical option that will help get me similar or even better outcomes.

There are options like Skillest or Cogorno Golf or SwingTweaks along with what I assume is an infinite amount of other options. But which one do I go with? Can I get myself to get to the range or into my garage on a regular basis to work on the items they send me to do. Can I understand what they're conveying in their pre-recorded reply "lesson" they send me based on the swing video I sent them? Can we maintain a smooth/organized progression of lessons month by month and not go past a topic without me actually "getting it" or burning in the change before moving on?

There are just a lot of "what if" thoughts running through my mind about this topic and unsure what to do.

Transitioning from traditional lessons to an online platform can definitely offer flexibility and potentially cost savings. However, it does require self-motivation and discipline to get the most out of it.

Since you're used to structured lessons with a PGA pro, make sure any online service you choose offers a clear progression plan and the ability to communicate effectively with your online coach.

I've a really positive experience with TheGolfRoom Everywhere, particularly with my coach Alex Shattuck. What stands out with their approach is the flexibility; there's no long-term commitment required—you can try it out just for a month to see if it suits your needs.

Alex provides tailored feedback through the CoachNow app, where you can upload videos of your swings and receive detailed analyses and drills to work on. It's NOT a pre-recorded reply lesson, it's 100% custom for you!
The guidance is practical, and Alex is excellent at ensuring you fully grasp and integrate each lesson before moving on. It's very much a personalized learning experience that adapts to your pace.

If you're interested, I can definitely refer you to Alex. 

Corentin | Québec City, QC - B2 Golf member 🇨🇦
Average Quebec-based golfer on a quest to refine skills and deepen golfing knowledge

📊 Golfing Stats: Handicap 18 | Best Round 85 | Trackman Handicap 6.2
⛳ Favorite Courses: Celebration, Orlando (FL) | Club de Golf Orléans, St-Pétronille (QC) 
🎒 WITB:

• Driver: Titleist TSR3 9º - HZRDUS Smoke Black stiff shaft 
  • Woods: TaylorMade Stealth 3W & 5W - HZRDUS Smoke Red stiff shaft 
  • Irons: TaylorMade Stealth (5i to Gap Wedge) - Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 105 stiff shaft 
  • Wedges: Titleist SM10 Chrome (52º12F, 56°12D & 60º08M) - Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 105 stiff shaft 
  • Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Super Select 2.5+ - stock steel shaft 
  • Bag: Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black 
  • Ball: Titleist Pro V1 
  • Tracking system : Arccos Gen3. + Arccos Link Pro 

🎓 Golf Instructor: Alex Shattuck (TGRe)
🔎 Tests & Reviews :

Passionate about all things golf. Here to learn, share, and test the limits of my game.
Let's make every shot count! 🎯