Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

10 finger grip

Throughout my time as a golfer (I'd say career but that would be a deceptive designation) I've employed the three major grips at one time or another. As a kid I used the baseball or 10 finger grip. Once I started to play the game seriously, after I quit playing baseball my junior year of college, I switched to the interlocking grip (because that's what Jack used.) I switched the the more traditional Vardon grip around the time I turned 30 and have used it ever since although I interlock with the putter.

At any rate the last few years I've noticed that if I want some extra yardage off the tee I can get it by switching to a 10 finger or baseball grip - I don't do it often because I'm subject to over hooking the ball but if I need a long one or I'm having any sort of trouble blocking the ball - it always seems to be the ticket.

Is there anyone else who does this or are there any thoughts on the practice? It seems to work for me.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I play occasionally with a guy who is like 5' 7" and weighs about 135 #'s, I really have no idea his specs, but his is a small guy. He uses a 10 finger grip and pounds the ball about 275 sometimes. It is amazing how he hits all his clubs. And I have noticed that he uses the 10 finger grip. I have been tempted to try this out.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Oh yeah, I do use the 10 finger grip around the green sometimes to prevent wrist movement. But I have also used the Furyk double overlap on the flop but these are extreme instances. If I have a chip that I can not have check up I do the 10 fingers.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Oh yeah, I do use the 10 finger grip around the green sometimes to prevent wrist movement. But I have also used the Furyk double overlap on the flop but these are extreme instances. If I have a chip that I can not have check up I do the 10 fingers.

There's a thought too - I may have to try practicing that. As I said I don't do it often - just when I really need to move one out or for some reason when I'm having trouble turning the ball over - too much or with anything other than the driver leads to a case of the hooks.

I will often use that grip on 18 at my course - It's a huge dogleg left - if you follow the dogleg it's 445 - if you can turn it over around the corner its 385 on a straight line - position and shot shape on that hole (for me) are the difference between a short iron and a hybrid/wood into the green. I have to turn the ball over on that one. The longer guys can fly the corner straight or even with a small cut but to do that you have to carry it 260 over a pond. Not happening for me.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived