Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Governing bodies propose ban on anchored putting

GolfSpy WD

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/ryan-lavner/governing-bodies-propose-ban-on-anchored-putting/

Anchors away.

Citing a “tremendous spike in usage” and “growing advocacy” among pros and instructors, golf's governing bodies announced Wednesday that they have proposed a ban on anchored putting that would become effective January 2016.

“We're not doing this because we said (anchoring) is a great advantage,” U.S. Golf Association executive director Mike Davis told Golf Channel. “It may be advantageous for some, but this is fundamentally about what we think is the right thing for the game.

“Rules changes are about the future of the game, and we really do fundamentally think that defining a stroke is the right thing for the future.”

Barring any unforeseen circumstances, Rule 14-1b is expected to be finalized this spring, after a 90-day window that will allow industry insiders to address any lingering concerns. But the new rule won't go into effect until Jan. 1, 2016, when the next edition of the Rules of Golf is published.

“We're not going into a 90-day comment period lightly,” R&A chief executive Peter Dawson said. “We want to listen to what people have to say, and if something new comes up, we will certainly consider it.

“But I would stress this is not a popularity contest, not an election. As the governing body we are doing what we think is best for the game of golf, and this is our responsibility.”

The unprecedented decision came as little surprise, after it was reported last month that Davis held a presentation at The McGladrey Classic to explain how a ban would be implemented and to ask players for their support. In a statement, the PGA Tour said Wednesday that it would review the rule change at the next annual player meeting, scheduled for Jan. 22 in San Diego, and it is expected to be reviewed by the Policy Board in March.

The proposed rule states that during a stroke, a player cannot anchor the club, either “directly” or by use of an “anchor point.” Among the prohibited strokes: a belly putter anchored against the stomach; anchored long putter to the sternum; the end of the club anchored against the chin; and an anchor point created by the forearm.

Worth noting: A stroke made with the putter resting against the forearm – a method used by Matt Kuchar – was deemed to be a form of grip, not anchoring, which is permitted by the USGA.

It is also important to note that the ban outlaws anchoring, not the putters themselves. So a player would still be able to use a long putter, so long as the butt of the handle is not affixed to a part of the body (chin, sternum, stomach, etc.).

This decision affects all levels of golf – from the recreational level to the professionals – as the governing bodies have decided against bifurcation, or separate rules for touring pros and amateurs.

“One of the great things about golf is that everybody plays under the same set of rules,” Davis said. “It really gives structure to the game. For those people who think we should bifurcate, I'm telling you, you haven't thought through the ramifications. Once you open Pandora's box, it will forever change the game. We are steadfast on this one. People who want to bifurcate don't understand what they're asking.”

Long putters have been around for decades, of course, but Davis said the percentage of players who have used the clubs have increased from about 2-4 percent in the 1980s and '90s, to 6 percent from 2006-'10, to about 15 percent this season.

But the controversial issue has taken on heightened importance after three of the past five major winners won while using an anchored putter. Most recently, 14-year-old Tianlang Guan won the Asian Amateur (and thereby earned an invitation to The Masters) while wielding a belly putter, a club which he began using only six months prior, Dawson said.

Asked if this was merely a reaction to those recent successes, Dawson said emphatically, “This is not a major-championship issue. This has been about the upsurge in general usage.”

Added Davis, “We are looking to the future of the game and saying that we don't think golf should be played this way.”

In 1991, Rocco Mediate became the first player to win a PGA Tour event with a long putter, and the club quickly gained popularity among the over-50 set on the Champions Tour. At that time, the long putter was viewed as a sign of weakness, an aid for players with back problems or putting woes.

No longer.

The narrative has shifted, the battle lines on this issue clearly drawn.

Those who support a ban – which includes Tiger Woods, Tom Watson and Arnold Palmer, among others – essentially claim that pressing the butt of the putter against the stomach, chin or sternum provides an unfair advantage because it reduces pressure and nerves while making a stroke. Webb Simpson, winner of the 2012 U.S. Open, rebuffed that notion, saying Tuesday, “Well, I was shaking in my boots on that last putt.”

Dawson, however, said that an anchored stroke “takes one of the frailties out of the stroke that is an inherent part of the game.”

Those against a ban point to the fact that none of the top 20 putters on the 2012 PGA Tour used an anchored putter, according to the Tour's strokes gained-putting statistic. And they also contend that not only is the technique within the rules of the game – and has been for decades – it caused an uproar only after Keegan Bradley (2011 PGA), Simpson ('12 U.S. Open) and Ernie Els ('12 British) each won major championships while using a belly putter. There has been some suggestion that their accomplishments will now be viewed with a mythical asterisk.

“Absolutely not,” Dawson said. “They won fair and square with the rules that existed at the time.”

Does the debate end here? Hardly.

Players such as Carl Pettersson, Tim Clark and Simpson have each used the long putter since college. Anticipating this decision, however, Simpson revealed that he has already begun practicing with the conventional putter, and will use that club in tournament play “as soon as I feel ready.”

Though it had been previously reported that Bradley was prepared to challenge a potential ban, perhaps to the point of legal action, the 26-year-old squashed all notions Tuesday at the World Challenge. Yes, he will continue to use the belly putter until the ban is implemented, but added, “I have total respect for Mike Davis and the USGA, and they are doing what they think is best for the game, and I respect that.”

Said Davis: “We legitimately believe it's the right thing to do for the game of golf long-term. We know short-term there is going to be some angst over this. We accept that. We don't like it either. But we want to, once and for all, put this controversial ruling to bed.”

“We're not doing this because we said (anchoring) is a great advantage,” U.S. Golf Association executive director Mike Davis told Golf Channel. “It may be advantageous for some, but this is fundamentally about what we think is the right thing for the game.

Here's the legal statement that covers their asses. I'm really curious if it'll hold up.

Though it had been previously reported that Bradley was prepared to challenge a potential ban, perhaps to the point of legal action, the 26-year-old squashed all notions Tuesday at the World Challenge. Yes, he will continue to use the belly putter until the ban is implemented, but added, “I have total respect for Mike Davis and the USGA, and they are doing what they think is best for the game, and I respect that.”

There was totally a back of the envelop deal here, which is a shame. I don't use the long putter, but IMO it's been good for the game and has generated a lot of interest in golf. The old geezers are doing a great job squashing that momentum.

To those who say the growth in usage is the issue, I say so what? It makes the game more fun for some people. I don't care if 80% of people wind up using anchored putters, I know I'll be sticking with a conventional putter for a long time.

Apparently they are more interested in what they precieve as preserving the game, than they are in growing the game.

Tee it Forward, and Play more golf and Do not anchor your putter. Three slogans of the USGA.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Apparently they are more interested in what they precieve as preserving the game, than they are in growing the game.

Tee it Forward, and Play more golf and Do not anchor your putter. Three slogans of the USGA.

Yeah, cause having people like Bubba Watson or Rickie Fowler tell us to tee it forward when every PGA event tees it back is really going to motivate the egocentric golfer.

USGA and R&A are stupid, I really hope there is such a backlash that amateurs continue using the anchored putter anyway. Then we can get away from these asinine rules.

Bernhard Langer most feel stupid now. "Why didn't anyone react when I started using one?"

I don't like belly putters but a ban of the stroke or the putter will not do the game any good.

I'm actually on the other side of the fence of this one... I'm a purist about sports, and in this case I think it makes sense that the putter shouldn't be anchored. It's also sort of why I gravitate toward blades, smaller driver heads, wooden baseball bats, etc. This is probably a product of my competitive nature, and I like to know that I can play the game as it has been played by our predecessors so that I don't feel like I have much of an advantage just by being a golfer in 2012 rather than 1912. Now, I know I'm not using hickory shafts and persimmon woods, but I can honestly say that I'd like some, just to fiddle with.

The issue of growing the game doesn't work for me really. I doubt that anyone comes into golf specifically because of anchoring. I also doubt that just because of the yips that anyone walks away from the game. Let's face it, there are a lot of really horrible golfers out there, and sometimes we all lose our touch with a putter, but then we work it out. Some people maybe don't, but there are still creative ways to deal with it aside from anchoring. Personally I like the method of using one hand to hold the grip of a long putter along your forearm. Either way, I like the challenge, and while some people give up, it's what keeps me coming back... I'm going to keep coming back until (and after) I beat this game.

On the other hand, I agree that a good compromise would be bifurcation of the rules between professional and amateur. I know that I would never find myself with a long putter, but I understand that my opinion is not more important that anyone else's.

MOST IMPORTANTLY I think regardless of each others' opinions, this thread should remain reasonable. I certainly hope that nobody thinks differently of anyone else based upon opinion on something that is really insignificant in the great scheme of life. Let's just not let this get personal.

Paul

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

Paul,

I tend to agree with you. On a pure gut level, I don't like anchoring. That said, I don't think they've made any kind of compelling argument against it. There's no stats to back up the ban, at least none that I've seen. Ultimately, I can't get myself worked up about it either way.

The only thing that makes any damn sense to me is bifurcation. Whether it's the ball, the drivers, or the putter, the guys and girls on tour are playing a game with which we are not familiar. Limit them to save the courses. Limiting our stuff only shrinks the game because it kills the fun.

JMHO.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

The only thing that makes any damn sense to me is bifurcation. Whether it's the ball, the drivers, or the putter, the guys and girls on tour are playing a game with which we are not familiar. Limit them to save the courses. Limiting our stuff only shrinks the game because it kills the fun.

JMHO.

As you were typing this I was editing my own post to include that I support the bifurcation of the rules to separate between professional and amateur. I don't care if I play with someone using a long putter, but if I were professional I would expect everyone to be on the same playing field.

Paul

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

:lol: :rolleyes:

:lol: :rolleyes:

NPTGolf

I am confused by you post. Are you laughing with me or at me? I do not really care but want to know. By the way, welcome to the forum.

Well, you knew someone was going to be mad no matter what the USGA did. Im personally happy they banned anchoring because I always felt that it wasnt right for someone to be able to anchor.

I was at Golf Galaxy today and they were pushing belly/long putters hard. Sorry, boys. Didnt want a belly putter before, still dont want one.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Well, you knew someone was going to be mad no matter what the USGA did. Im personally happy they banned anchoring because I always felt that it wasnt right for someone to be able to anchor.

I was at Golf Galaxy today and they were pushing belly/long putters hard. Sorry, boys. Didnt want a belly putter before, still dont want one.

See, this is what I mean. I do not agree with it but I know if he is with me or against me.

Oh man what does one say here? We knew this ruling was coming. If the USGA and R and A think this helps the sport good for them - I don't see how it does, it creates controversy, the potential for endless legal wrangling and makes it seem like the people in charge of caring for the sport could care less about the overwhelming majority of people who play the game.

If there was a problem they should have banned the club/stroke/swing when it started not after an entire generation of players grew up with it. Instead we've now had two major rule adjustments/changes based on little to no data or right interpretation of data that do nothing but cost the average player money or force him to cheat according to the rules of the game.

Very sad

I should add that I play irons that are conforming and I have never even tried an anchored putter.

Also while it was easy to discern language that was meant to cover their legal butts the fact that a class of players who were allowed to do something but now aren't are effected make this a very ripe target for a lititgator to pursue. He doesn't need all the guys using anchored putters - he just needs a couple of them and they don't have to be pros although it would be better if they were because that's where the damages come in.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

When the idea of banning belly putters really started going, I was quite gung ho about not banning them. Now I see a little of oth sides. I do agree that it was quite necessary to ban it, but at the same time I don't see it as fair to all the players and the time they have devoted to it. But, whether or not they should have been banned when they first came out, I think they give an advantage still. Ten years from now if they would not be banned we might look back on now and think we should have banned them before an even greater amount of people started using them, taking more stress off the importance of pressure putting.

While I think it isn't fair for everyone, it still needed to be done now, rather than later.

In my Adams Hercules cart bag...
    DriverPing I15 9.5* TFC stiff
    Hook MachineTaylormade Burner Superfast Rescue 18*
    3 HybridAdams ProA12 20* stiff matrix Ozik Altus
    IronsCleveland CG16 Tour Black Pearl 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300
    Birdie-MakerMizuno JPX 50*-10*
    Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*
    On the wayCleveland 588 forged 62*-10*
    Mid-Round FuelSnickers bars

My problem with this from the beginning was that the reasons for the anchoring ban were all extremely weak. There is no advantage to be gained because the rules allowed for ANYONE to do it; hence there can be no competitive advantage. They claim that it's unnatural and not true to what the golf stroke is all about, but they'll still allow the goofy hand-holding-the-shaft-to-the-forearm grip!?! Really!?!

Oh well. I'll still use mine until the rule takes effect. I may still use it afterwards. If I'm not allowed to keep an official handicap or play in official tournaments so be it.

Driver: Taylormade R11 9°, Fujikura Blur 60 S-flex

Fairway: Taylormade R11 15.5°, Fujikura Blur 70 S-flex

Fairway: Acer XDS React 18° "Machete", Fujikura Fit-On E-360 R Flex

Irons: Taylormade Burner 2.0, 4-PW, Steel SuperFast 85 R-flex

Wedges: Cleveland CG-14 Black Pearl 52° AW, 56° SW, 60° LW

Putter: Bionik 207 Nano Mallet Belly Putter, 43", Winn 21-inch Red/Black Putter Grip

Putter: Cleveland Classic #2 BRZ, Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

Ball: Searching for a Penta TP replacement...

Callaway LR550 Laser Rangefinder

I think this whole argument is just kind of funny. Nobody cared when Rocco used it 20 years ago. Now we have a bunch of young guys winning and it gets banned. The reason I think it's so funny is that the general public also didn't care or know about it 20 years ago, but now that a bunch of young guys are winning with it, it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Golfers are sheep and we follow what the pro's play :)

Personally I'm against the ban. Having tried a belly for a little bit this season I can honestly say I gained no advantage and you have to work/practice just as hard to get good with it.

We can sit here all day and say this or say that, but the bottom line is that the ruling came down. Live with it.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Don't know if you guys saw it but I mentioned elsewhere that they also considering banning the beer cart.

Their rationale was that even though they didn't have any hard stats it "felt" like too many players were having fun playing the game. :( :P

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

This is the most ridiculous rule a sports governing body has ever passed. Lets refute the major arguments:

Anchoring provides an advantage: First, prove it. That hasn't been done yet. While I tend to agree with this statement, it is irrelevant. If one thinks his opponent has an advantage by using a long anchored putter, he can go buy a long anchored putter. It isn't an advantage if the advantage is available to everyone.

It is against the integrity of the game: things evolve. Golf has evolved. Golfers are getting older and getting bad backs. Long putters save old guys backs. It is a different way for a junior to putt. It may work better for them. I don't agree with being raised on one, but I also don't believe in stopping one from doing so. Equipment is more influential In golf than any other sport. Equipment drives the industry. It changes. A change has taken place, accept it crotchety old men who can't get out of the past.

It is not a golf stroke. It is untraditional: prayer, left hand low, claw, the lost goes on of unconventional putter grips. Everyone grips a club differently. Jim Furyk. Pretty good player. Is his swing not a golf swing cause it looks different than everyone else? Is he cheating cause he uses the stroke that works best for him? SGI irons, CB wedges, adjustable drivers, spikes on golf shoes, GOLF CARTS, etc... Are all unconventional. I guess being selective about what is and is not allowed among unconventionalities is ok.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

Good rant Ice. I have to agree - this is the most capricious ruling that I've ever seen in sports. And I'm only using that word because I may have spelled it right and haven't had enough scotch yet this evening to cause an explitive to come out in print.

The best in many ways is The Golf Channel's handling of the story. Clearly they believe the ban to be meet, right and salutary.

Hey why not ban Tiger's swing it's different from Bobby Jones'.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

This is the most ridiculous rule a sports governing body has ever passed. Lets refute the major arguments:

Anchoring provides an advantage: First, prove it. That hasn't been done yet. While I tend to agree with this statement, it is irrelevant. If one thinks his opponent has an advantage by using a long anchored putter, he can go buy a long anchored putter. It isn't an advantage if the advantage is available to everyone.

It is against the integrity of the game: things evolve. Golf has evolved. Golfers are getting older and getting bad backs. Long putters save old guys backs. It is a different way for a junior to putt. It may work better for them. I don't agree with being raised on one, but I also don't believe in stopping one from doing so. Equipment is more influential In golf than any other sport. Equipment drives the industry. It changes. A change has taken place, accept it crotchety old men who can't get out of the past.

It is not a golf stroke. It is untraditional: prayer, left hand low, claw, the lost goes on of unconventional putter grips. Everyone grips a club differently. Jim Furyk. Pretty good player. Is his swing not a golf swing cause it looks different than everyone else? Is he cheating cause he uses the stroke that works best for him? SGI irons, CB wedges, adjustable drivers, spikes on golf shoes, GOLF CARTS, etc... Are all unconventional. I guess being selective about what is and is not allowed among unconventionalities is ok.

Amen, preach on Brother.

No where in the rules did it say that golf has always been hold the club in your hands and swing it. They are making that up. Which is why it has been legal because it never said how to swing it. Now they 'want to save the traditions of the game." The game traditionally has been played by the ruling class by white men who's name did not end in a vowel. Some traditions go away and for the better.

But as I said in the Coup D' etat thread, I have the largest problem with them making illegal one small part while explaining how to get around it and all the while claiming it is for the good of the game. If it about keeping the traditions then by God make everything illegal but the traditional grip. If it about making everyone be suseptible to nerves on the closing holes than make everyone use the same grip and equipment.

At the club tonight, I was told "It is a good thing you switched putters last week because the one you were now using is now illegal."

I went on to explain how A. It was and still is. B. This is a proposed rule change. C. The swing I used is uneffected. D. Even if it was not it would not go into effect until 2016. But the guy argued with me and said I just wanted to continue to cheat. He said ABC had reported that they were now illegal.

Obviously, this guy is an idiot, which you would have to search long and hard to find someone to argue against you on that point, but this is one of the side effects of this rule. It causes more confusion by the uninformed than it solves.

It's all a short term conspiracy by the OEM's to get people to buy more putters. Now everyone who bought a long putter is going to ask for a short putter for Christmas. In 90 days they will reverse the ruling and everything will be back to normal. The big OEM's just want a nice Christmas bonus.

Sorry but that's really the only rational explanation I can come up with for why this is taking place.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

It's all a short term conspiracy by the OEM's to get people to buy more putters. Now everyone who bought a long putter is going to ask for a short putter for Christmas. In 90 days they will reverse the ruling and everything will be back to normal. The big OEM's just want a nice Christmas bonus.

Sorry but that's really the only rational explanation I can come up with for why this is taking place.

TMag announced today that they would continue to make the belly putters. They think they will continue to sell dispite of the rules.

I find that hilarious.

Interesting. Though I have some issues with some of your points:

A: That is NOT part of the argument. They even went out of their way to say it isn't about an advantage.

B: Agreed. I think this "protect the game" line is bull crap. Same with the groove ruling. Same when they went after Ping for the Eye2's (and promptly got their face kicked in by Ping).

C: It's not about the stroke looking different. Furyk is still free swinging the club just like Tiger, Poulter or anyone else. Scott, Webb, etc are putting demonstrably different, not in looks, but function. The issue is the anchoring since the club is no longer free swinging, regardless of the grip you use.

Long putters aren't banned. Anchoring the putter to yourself is the part that's banned.

I bet it takes any one using a longer putt about 5 minutes of figuring out how they're going to use it without mounting it on themselves. Though, while we're on it, I'm not happy that they decided to ban anchoring with long putters but let it go with short putters, ala Kuchar. You either ban anchoring or you don't, you don't go half way.

So, I agree with people annoyed by this choice. It's dumb. However I'm more annoyed because it's not logcially consistent. If they have an issue with anchoring, it should apply across the board, and as silly as it might seem, should be added a global rule before someone start working on anchoring a wedge.

It's amusing how this has gone from a witch hunt against long putters to a witch hunt against the USGA.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Archived