Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Short Driver Syndrom...

I am sure I am not alone, but the worst part of my game HANDS DOWN is off the tee.  I have no consistency/confidence with a driver at standard length (45" or so).  I started to cut my shafts down to play around 44" and saw a ton of improvement, but still would find myself trying to choke down a little to get that perfect feel. 

Soooo...considering going even shorter, maybe even 43".  I like to buy and try different shafts and nothing KILLS the value of a new shaft more than cutting it too short, but oh well. 

Anyone else rocking a short driver? 

:taylormade-small: M1 10.5* - Tour AD BB-6X
:titelist-small: 10F.d. 13.5* - Graffaloy Bi-Matrix X
:titelist-small: 915Hd 20.5* - Aldila Tour Green
:titelist-small:  T-MB 2-iron - Aldila Tour Green
:titelist-small:  716 AP2 5-PW - KBS C-Taper Lite X
:vokey-small: SM6 50/56 - DG S400

:cameron-small:  Kombi S 35"

I found that it's much cheaper to just choke up on the shaft when you take your grip.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

You don't say what the problem is, so it's difficult to make a meaningful recommendation.  

Shorter is easier to control.  But that being said, different shafts produce different results so it's sort of a game of find the right shaft for your swing.  I would look for a fitter or even a store that has different shafts in flex, weight and length to try out.  See if you can find a good combo.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I've experimented with driver lengths from 46" all the way down to 42".  By the time you're down that low you're essentially swinging a low lofted 3-wood.  Anyway (for me) I found it really didn't make all that much difference.  I ended up going with 45" but had to change my set-up and stance to hit the driver well.  Just food for thought......everyone is different.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

You don't say what the problem is, so it's difficult to make a meaningful recommendation.  

Shorter is easier to control.  But that being said, different shafts produce different results so it's sort of a game of find the right shaft for your swing.  I would look for a fitter or even a store that has different shafts in flex, weight and length to try out.  See if you can find a good combo.  

I do want to get fitted at some point, that would help a bunch.  I hit my fairways great, in fact I often would leave the driver at home and just hammer my 3 wood.  It plays roughly 42.5" and I have a ton of confidence with it in my hand. 

I've experimented with driver lengths from 46" all the way down to 42".  By the time you're down that low you're essentially swinging a low lofted 3-wood.  Anyway (for me) I found it really didn't make all that much difference.  I ended up going with 45" but had to change my set-up and stance to hit the driver well.  Just food for thought......everyone is different.

I am sure that the majority of my problem is which my set-up. My swing isn't horrible, but I am just a 1-day a week (maybe) golfer.  I would also say that I get that "I want to knock the cover off" feeling every time I am on the tee....again, not the best. 

I remember seeing Tom Wishon post that your 3 wood should be 1 inch shorter than your driver. So in theory your driver should be played at 43.5 to match your 42.5 3 wood. 

The one thing I would worry about when cutting that much off of your driver would be your swingweight changing a good bit. I'm not sure how much it would change so maybe someone more knowledgeable could comment but I would assume that it could be very different.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I remember seeing Tom Wishon post that your 3 wood should be 1 inch shorter than your driver. So in theory your driver should be played at 43.5 to match your 42.5 3 wood.

The one thing I would worry about when cutting that much off of your driver would be your swingweight changing a good bit. I'm not sure how much it would change so maybe someone more knowledgeable could comment but I would assume that it could be very different.

Tom says some great things and then he says something like that...

I think you are much better off choking up then chopping off.

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

Tom says some great things and then he says something like that...

I think you are much better off choking up then chopping off.

Well he is right in the point that 98% of golfers would be better served playing a shaft that is shorter than the 46" shaft that is put in most non players models. Even players models range from 45-45.5 inch shafts. Most people would be better suited with a 44 or 44.5" driver shaft rather than a 46" one.

Isn't the PGA Tour average somewhere around 44"? 

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

All these are good comments but in the end the question always is what length shaft would work best for this player and for that matter this player with a particular driver or head type.

Just go get fitted. The reason you hammer your 3 wood could be that the combination of the smaller head, shorter shaft and more loft make it easier to hit. Assuming it's a somewhat normal three wood you're leaving distance on the table.

So please just go get fitted. We can give good advice here and it might work in 98 percent of the cases. What if you are a part of the other two percent? Also a shorter shaft is not necessarily shorter. If it delivers the club head to the ball in the right way it might be longer. Sergio doesn't use a shorter driver for more control, he uses it because it maximizes his potential, that unique combination of distance and accuracy that is right for his game. Conversely a longer shaft may not be longer. It depends on the individual player.

Good luck!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

So, I have my driver and three wood, but never paid attention to how long the shafts were.  Does anyone know, installed, how the distance from the top of the hosel (or ferrule) to the tip of the grip relates to the relevant shaft lengths that we're talking about here?

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

So, I have my driver and three wood, but never paid attention to how long the shafts were.  Does anyone know, installed, how the distance from the top of the hosel (or ferrule) to the tip of the grip relates to the relevant shaft lengths that we're talking about here?

I think its the actual length of the shaft itself. When I've watched guys install shafts for me they measured the shaft. I would love to have one of our fitters or experienced club builders jump in on this one.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

The length is measured with the club on the ground and at the right lie angle for the head. The tip of the ruler is generally laid against a mark on the wall or wherever that is at the right lie angle for the head and the club laid against that and the measurement taken.

length-measurement.jpg

Or, you can get one of these and measure it on a bench:

Bench-Mount-Club-Length-Ruler-with-RH-LH

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

So, I have my driver and three wood, but never paid attention to how long the shafts were. Does anyone know, installed, how the distance from the top of the hosel (or ferrule) to the tip of the grip relates to the relevant shaft lengths that we're talking about here?

Matt's illustration is perfect. To get a 43 inch club, the actual shaft length will vary depending on what head it's going in. Hosel lengths vary as well the depth the shaft is inserted. Ferrule lengths are very different. So you can't use either as a reference point to measure from. Where that shaft line intersects the ground as shown in Matt's picture is what matters.

Well he is right in the point that 98% of golfers would be better served playing a shaft that is shorter than the 46" shaft that is put in most non players models. Even players models range from 45-45.5 inch shafts. Most people would be better suited with a 44 or 44.5" driver shaft rather than a 46" one.

Absolutely.

But, I play my 3 wood at 42.5 when I play it. With Tom Wishon's logic, that equals a 43.5 in driver. Anything under 44 in and I feel like Gorilla Grodd playing with toddler clubs.

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

Absolutely.

But, I play my 3 wood at 42.5 when I play it. With Tom Wishon's logic, that equals a 43.5 in driver. Anything under 44 in and I feel like Gorilla Grodd playing with toddler clubs.

I agree.......can't really go with Wishon's 1" rule.

dhase32, have you tried choking up on your driver?

A 1" choke will shorten your backswing and keep you from overswinging....

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Just go get fitted. The reason you hammer your 3 wood could be that the combination of the smaller head, shorter shaft and more loft make it easier to hit. Assuming it's a somewhat normal three wood you're leaving distance on the table.

Absolutely!

Barring a fitting (still the best option), you can grab a spray can of foot powder and head to the range.  It won't tell you if you're playing the right head/shaft combo, but will show you how well you hit the center of the clubface full length vs choking up a couple inches.

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

Absolutely.

I agree with that.  It makes more sense to play a 3-wood 1" longer than my 5-wood (or hybrid, or whatever the next club in your bag is).  I play driver as an "I want all I can get with this shot", while the 3-wood is more like irons and hybrids in that I want a specific distance.  I want that distance to be 10-15 yards more than my 5-wood, regardless of driver distance.

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

Absolutely.

I'm not saying you are incorrect for doing that, to each his own of course. I believe Mr Wishon meant it as a general idea of where to start more than a golden rule. As you know, he is always for a good fitting. I think his overall blind suggestions were driver=x 3wood=x-1 5wood=x-2 7wood=x-3 1iron=x-4 2iron=x-4.5 and so on in 1/2 inch increments. I think this changed depending on the shafts as well. Anyway this would set up as standard length if you played the driver at 44 inches.

Honestly I could be misquoting him haha

I agree.......can't really go with Wishon's 1" rule.

dhase32, have you tried choking up on your driver?

A 1" choke will shorten your backswing and keep you from overswinging....

I do that with my current setup (AD BB), which plays 45".  I have a few "shorter" shafts lying around, a Devotion and another Bi-Matrix.  Both will play about 43.5".  Got a few adaptors on the way so will do some range time testing and see what happens. 

Archived