TSauer

Homeowners, what item did you not think about buying but ended up being useful?

One other thing I just picked up, a large inflatable screen and a projector. I cross connected my outdoor speakers so I have an instant outdoor theater with surround sound! Watched big sporting cable/TV events and also for kid centered parties, sleepovers, etc... Not a must have but a fun have ;)

MDGolfHacker

• Like 1

One other thing I just picked up, a large inflatable screen and a projector. I cross connected my outdoor speakers so I have an instant outdoor theater with surround sound! Watched big sporting cable/TV events and also for kid centered parties, sleepovers, etc... Not a must have but a fun have ;)

MDGolfHacker

This sounds like the perfect Masters party setup. I'm eventually going to convert it to a smart home hopefully. Locks, thermostat, lighting, the whole nine yards. I'm just trying to decide Google Home or Amazon Echo.

• Like 1

Good for you! I'm the least handy person in the world so a son. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

BBQ grill and have a "stock the bar" party

Definitely for me it was a good BBQ. Not a cheap superstore one. Made a huge difference and have been using all year long.

This sounds like the perfect Masters party setup. I'm eventually going to convert it to a smart home hopefully. Locks, thermostat, lighting, the whole nine yards. I'm just trying to decide Google Home or Amazon Echo.

Well, the projector is really only good for dusk to night time stuff :D.  During the day, it gets all washed out from the sunlight.  

MDGolfHacker

Congrats on the house. I am on home #3 and a good BBQ and a beer fridge are a must. Depending how handy you are having a home workspace for projects is a good thing as well. I am the son of a contractor and can do just about anything but electrical and my home shop has saved me a lot of money.

• Like 1

Lot's of great things so far in here and I'll 2nd most of them.

Good grill

Tools

2nd Fridge

Bonfire pit

Good mower

Outdoor speakers (or good portable bluetooth speaker)

Get the Cutter backyard bug off spray and hose your yard with it to help with mosquitos

Also build lots of shelving in the garage.  You always run out of storage space and getting those shelves up before it's full makes live easier.  Add in hooks for things like hoses, electrical cords, bikes, ladders etc and try to get as much stuff off the floor and on the walls as possible.

• Like 1

Random assortment of different size ladders, cause it's nice to have the right size for what ever you need. And a smoker, received one for xmas and wife uses about once a week since

• Like 1

Most of what I read are nice to haves some of what I consider essentials are:

Don't know how handy you are but the basic tools are a necessity to do thing like hanging pictures, tightening a screw in a cabinet door , Changing out fixtures etc.

I would recommend programmable thermostats pretty inexpensive but can save you money in the long run. In you are high tech look into smart home ones that above adjusted via your phone. No sense hearing or cooling your house when you aren't there.

In addition to a lawn mower get garden tools like a rake, shovel, weed eater, actual snow shovel depending on climate. Come in handy to spread mulch or change out the landscaping.

Also find numbers of home repair people for those things that are beyond you ability. Get recommendations for plumbers, electricians, roof repair, etc Much better to have a list in advance instead of waiting for an emergency

Congrats on your first home!!

A Roomba.  Seriously.  A Roomba.  

Set it to run a couple of times a week while you and the SO are at work.  It's amazing how much stuff it picks up, even when you think the house is clean.  The SO will thank you and be very appreciative (if you know what I mean).  Happy SO, happy life.  

Get a smaller plumbing snake. Can save big $$ if you can take care of clog without calling plumber. Make sure you know where the cleanout is as well.

I don't know how I lived so long without a nice reel for the garden hose.

I don't know how I lived so long without a nice reel for the garden hose.

If you do get one of these, get the water powered ones that self reel. :)

MDGolfHacker

Get yourself a good garden hose. Good being the key word here! I mean, it's just a hose right?! Shouldn't be that much of a drop-off in quality from the $25 one to the $55 one right?

Wrong.

Bought our home 11 years ago and after I went through 3 dry-rotted cheap ones in 2 years I decided to spring for an expensive ($75) one. It's still in commission after almost 9 years!

Congratulations on your 1st home!!

• Like 2

Thanks everyone! There are a lot of essentials here that aren't on my list that I'm going to have to add, especially the beer fridge ;)

I saw it earlier, get a good ladder, spend the money on it. I have one of the collapsible ladders and it is really nice to have, if you have a tall roof, you may want a 40' ladder to be able to get up to the gutters on occasion. At any rate, some sort of ladder 8 to 10 feet is a must.

• Like 1