Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

How do I stop myself from buying new equipment?

So, let me start by saying I have issues. I wish there was such a thing as golf equipment buyers anonymous because I would be one of their charter members. Right now, I have a bag that is just performing amazingly well for me but I can't stop thinking about new equipment (all the time).

For example, I have a Callaway EPIC SZ. It's been one of the greatest performing drivers I've ever hit, but I've noticed recently that my ball flight seems a little lower than I would like it, so a sane, rational person would just simply raise the loft, however, I keep reading reviews on shafts and decide to instead order a Graphite Design Tour AD TP shaft to see what a mid/high launch shaft with low spin performs like. My fitter doesn't have a lot of exotic shafts and something in me needs to know if this shaft will work better for me. I'll know that answer in a couple of days when it gets here.

A couple of months ago I bought some Titleist 716 AP2 irons. They have performed amazingly well for me. Then I hear this little voice in my head saying, "Hey you, have you heard how awesome the Wilson V6 irons feel. I bet you would love those irons!" I've had to stop myself from pulling the trigger on those about 3 times so far because no one in the area carries them and I want to try them.

Moving on to the putter, I was chosen by MGS to the test the Sentio Sierra putter around the start of the year. It's been the best putter I've ever used and easily lowered my putts per round, but then I read how well the Evnroll putters are performing for people and that voice in my head starts talking to me again. 

Basically, every club in my bag is in danger at some point and I need to stop. I do sell all my old equipment online but I never get what I paid for it.

Anyone else have these issues?

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

I have the same thought pattern as you, however, my bank account does not support said thinking so thus far I've steered clear.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

So, let me start by saying I have issues. I wish there was such a thing as golf equipment buyers anonymous because I would be one of their charter members. Right now, I have a bag that is just performing amazingly well for me but I can't stop thinking about new equipment (all the time).

For example, I have a Callaway EPIC SZ. It's been one of the greatest performing drivers I've ever hit, but I've noticed recently that my ball flight seems a little lower than I would like it, so a sane, rational person would just simply raise the loft, however, I keep reading reviews on shafts and decide to instead order a Graphite Design Tour AD TP shaft to see what a mid/high launch shaft with low spin performs like. My fitter doesn't have a lot of exotic shafts and something in me needs to know if this shaft will work better for me. I'll know that answer in a couple of days when it gets here.

A couple of months ago I bought some Titleist 716 AP2 irons. They have performed amazingly well for me. Then I hear this little voice in my head saying, "Hey you, have you heard how awesome the Wilson V6 irons feel. I bet you would love those irons!" I've had to stop myself from pulling the trigger on those about 3 times so far because no one in the area carries them and I want to try them.

Moving on to the putter, I was chosen by MGS to the test the Sentio Sierra putter around the start of the year. It's been the best putter I've ever used and easily lowered my putts per round, but then I read how well the Evnroll putters are performing for people and that voice in my head starts talking to me again.

Basically, every club in my bag is in danger at some point and I need to stop. I do sell all my old equipment online but I never get what I paid for it.

Who isnt a member of golf equipment anonymous on this site is more the question ;) I was like you earlier in life. Got married, had two kids and that's how I physically stopped buying clubs out the wazoo. Had to pay for the kids private school, start saving for college etc... That stops you buying clubs real quick... BUT... The desire never goes away...

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

You can't stop it...you can only hope to contain it

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

and then MGS has to go and publish this years Most Wanted Driver test and make you wonder how those Srixon drivers perform on the course. It never ends! 

Get out of my head.   I'm sorry I'd like to help you,   But I just paid the pro shop for my 917 F2 5 wood.   Now that my account is a zero balance, I'm off to order a combo set of Srixon 565/765 irons.   

You can't stop it...you can only hope to contain it

This is about as perfect quote regarding club ho'ness as I've ever heard!!   Well Done!!

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

get married, that should do it

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

LOL!  Another great solution!  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

LOL!  Another great solution!

If that doesn't work - have kids. That's sure to have some sort of adverse affect.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

Pretty much all of us have ho itis... once afflicted, it's a done deal.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Yes, kids will surely prevent you from buying anything that you don't need. I get the same urges and then realize my bank account only allows me $50 to spend on myself and that usually goes toward actually playing a couple rounds

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: 10.5* XR16 R Flex

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha V-Series 3 Wood R Flex

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 913H 21* R flex

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: C300 4-PW R Flex

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: 2135 Cero 33" / :odyssey-small: EXO Seven S 33"

You just described 90% of us here, maybe higher. I love to LOOK at new clubs every chance I get. Key words is look, cause I can't afford to buy them unless they're a few years old or get a good deal on eBay. Nothing wrong with being a club ho

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

I thought my buying was going to have to stop for a little while, since we're buying a new house. Just got word today that our closing cost and monthly payment is going to be way lower than expected.

That deserves a celebratory purchase, right?

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I thought my buying was going to have to stop for a little while, since we're buying a new house. Just got word today that our closing cost and monthly payment is going to be way lower than expected.

That deserves a celebratory purchase, right?

I like the way you think TSauer!

Good luck! I love getting new stuff! I plus if you sell old stuff, it helps pay for new stuff.

A grown up (kinda) and my wife gives me an allowance to eat lunch, I just save that money, eat a lousy cold meat sandwich and viola, I've got $$$$ for new equipment!

Daddy needs a new _________ (fill in the blank)

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

It is a sickness that has no cure. Best you can do is buy used so you can minimize the loss on resale

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Let me know when you find that support group....

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

I'm proof that the "get married and have kids" theory doesn't work...My browser is currently up on some OEM's and I"m building/pricing clubs haha.

If you truly want to not be tempted to buy clubs, avoid all golf stores, internet sites and forums  :D .

But like others have said here, we all have that itch and urge to buy something new and shiny, because there's a small chance that it'll fix our slice or help us sink that 25 ft putt!

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

Not sure this is the right site to find a support group for this addiction. If you are looking for a group of enablers then you have found the right place--please refer to the "What have you bought lately?" thread.

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

I am the exact same. It's definitely a disease!!!

Haha, glad to hear I'm not the only one with issues. FYI, I am married and do have kids. While that did cut in to the amount of golf I'm "allowed" to play, it didn't cut into my equipment purchases for some reason.

I buy and trade so much s***, that my driver probably costed me $2000 with all the losses I take on the trade ins

😱 lol...

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

I buy and trade so much s***, that my driver probably costed me $2000 with all the losses I take on the trade ins

This man speaks the truth!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I know. I scoff at the prices companies like PXG charge for their clubs, and then do the math on how much my current equipment really cost me and realize that if I would have bought a full set of PXG clubs and stuck with them, I would have spent less in the long run.

I know. I scoff at the prices companies like PXG charge for their clubs, and then do the math on how much my current equipment really cost me and realize that if I would have bought a full set of PXG clubs and stuck with them, I would have spent less in the long run.

Not really, you would of started tweaking the pxg's with shaft upgrades, etc, etc... So you would of probably spent more in the long run since your base starting cost is higher ;)

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

There is a way around that.   Let the wife know how much you appreciate when she gets you golf stuff for any given occasion.   That she can never go wrong getting you golf stuff.   Leave hints about what you want or need, then make sure she goes to a golf shop where a bud or two works and they know what you want or need.   When she gets if for you thank her excessively.   While the funds ultimately come from a joint account, you technically have not bought it.

For example, my bag currently only has Pro-V balls in it as a result of my recent birthday.   That's because when the wife goes to the shop to buy me some golf balls, my buds immediately hand her the Pro-Vs.   Actually, the only club in my bag that I purchased directly is the sand wedge my instructor ordered for me.

Archived