2 Weeks Remaining: MODERATOR WANTED Join the MyGolfSpy Staff! Read more... ×
jaymikem

Did anyone ever see what Nike had planned to release for this year?

Since we are now almost a year removed from Nike getting out of the equipment game, I was wondering if anyone has ever come across any photos of the 2017 equipment line that would have been launched.

Based on the chatter last year, the 2017 equipment was already finished and 2018 was in development, but I personally haven't come across any photos of what they left on the table when they decided to close up shop. And in this day and age, there isn't a lot that you can't find on the internet with a quick google search. Was everything completely locked down, destroyed and burned once ping bought some of their parents? We're the innovations so mind blowing that the CIA is covering it up and using the technology in its clandestine assignments across the globe?

I know the majority of the golfing community was not a fan of Nike equipment, but I have gamed their drivers for a while as they just seemed to work for me. Heck I still bag the covert tour 2.0 driver with that bright red paint and huge cavity (which I use as a couch for my golf ball while waiting on the tee box for the rest of my group to tee off. I think that is really what it was built for!) So naturally, as a purchaser of their clubs, I am curious what innovations (or gimmicks, if you prefer to call the, that) the company was attempting to bring to the table.

• Like 2

I would love to see these photos, I wonder what ever happened to the ones they made. Like you said, some people didn't like their equipment, but I always thought they had some sharp irons. The Vapor Fly Pros were such a beautiful line, in my opinion. I can't speak on behalf of their performance though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know the majority of the golfing community was not a fan of Nike equipment, but I have gamed their drivers for a while as they just seemed to work for me. Heck I still bag the covert tour 2.0 driver with that bright red paint and huge cavity (which I use as a couch for my golf ball while waiting on the tee box for the rest of my group to tee off. I think that is really what it was built for!) So naturally, as a purchaser of their clubs, I am curious what innovations (or gimmicks, if you prefer to call the, that) the company was attempting to bring to the table.

I really like my irons - they're the most comfortable irons I've sat behind a ball since my trusty Ping Eye 2's that I gamed since I was a teen, all the way through high school, and into my adulthood until I took a break from golf as real life caught up to me. I've never hit Mizunos before, and I've seen and heard the old #nothinglikeamizuno and if their forged irons feel better than my Vapor Pro Combos, well I don't know what I'd do, probably punch a baby if there's one nearby.

The only thing I saw from this year were their unreleased bags. A few popped up on Ebay, and a friend of mine knows a local rep who said he might be able to get one, but that fell through. They didn't look much different from the last bags, just different color options I believe. That said, they were nice freakin' bags! I'm kind of a Nike fanboy, so I'm a bit biased and not afraid to admit it. I grew up in the Jordan era where all of my basketball friends were buying the sneakers, so naturally I had to have them as well. Then came Tiger, so my mom gave them her money through my childhood, and I've been throwing money at them after those years.

• Like 2

I grew up in the Jordan era as well - my senior year of high school I bought my first and only pair of Jordan's (so far) for the basketball season. I had never spent that much on a pair of shoes before, and haven't after, but I will say they were some of the most comfortable shoes I ever played in. It was like walking on velvet pillows.

I saw some of the golf bags pop up on eBay about a month ago - at least the listing said they were 2017 Nike air hybrid III bags. Like you mentioned, the pictures looked just like the hybrid II bag, but they were in color ways I hadn't seen before. I thought maybe they were just the color ways released to our Canadian friends in the north, since the seller was from Toronto or something like that, but maybe they were actually the unreleased bags. It would be interesting if any of the prototype clubs ever popped up somewhere for sale or in a forum. Heck, as long as it had a swoosh on it and no cavity (since the last chatter said the cavity was gone) I would believe it could actually be an unreleased club.

• Like 1

Very very VERY interesting question. As an avid Nike fan, I'm shocked I've never thought to hunt down any info on new equipment. I guess I was just too heartbroken to deal with any more broken dreams lol. Still LOVE the apparel though!!

Sent from my SM-T810 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

I wonder if they sold off those design to another company?

I know Ping bought a few of their club patents. I wonder if it was those.

i saw this article about Phil Knight talking about Nike golf and Tiger, and i think the biggest takeaway was 

"It's a fairly simple equation, that we lost money for 20 years on equipment and balls," Knight told interviewer David Rubenstein, host of "The David Rubenstein Show: Peer-to-Peer Conversations." "We realized next year wasn't going to be any different."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/golf/ct-nike-phil-knight-tiger-woods-20170628-story.html

Pretty sure they sold a s***-ton of soft goods though.

• Like 1

I'm curious myself. I game the Nike VRS forged irons and love them. My guess is ping will takeover anything Nike had coming out this year and stamp ping on it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I'm curious myself. I game the Nike VRS forged irons and love them. My guess is ping will takeover anything Nike had coming out this year and stamp ping on it.

I went from Pings to Vapor Pro Combos. I just got chills from this statement. I'm imagining something forged that looks along the lines of the i200 and my mouth is watering. I really want to try gaming some Mizunos, though. I need more money.

... I know OEM's do focus groups but the corporate structure still allows them to shoot themselves in the foot with some idiot that "knows better" and feels the need to justify their position. The companies that are doing OK have a line up and have stuck with it. ProV1 is of course the best example while Nike was coming out with a new name, a new color scheme and a different look to everything - all the time. Covert Forged irons should have been developed and increased their offerings, like a Covert Forged Pro Series with a smaller head but similar look and visuals. I feel Nike has always made great wedges but again the different names and different looking heads never gave them a chance to get any traction. 

I read somewhere that they had gone away from the cavity in their drivers completely. It's really too bad because there was a lot of their equipment I loved. I use a Nike vapour fly 5 wood and it's a beauty. Very solid and consistent club... maybe one day a photo or something will show up.

• Like 1

I read somewhere that they had gone away from the cavity in their drivers completely. It's really too bad because there was a lot of their equipment I loved. I use a Nike vapour fly 5 wood and it's a beauty. Very solid and consistent club... maybe one day a photo or something will show up.

I was looking to go full Nike next year. Pretty sad that such a large corporate business cut out a whole portion of their customers. I know it wasn't a "money" maker but I'll be looking at other brands for my running shoes now. They didn't follow their slogan. Quitting is not "Just do it"...

- Alan

• Like 5

I bet Nike Golf is real mad... 2 winners this week playing their sticks.

• Like 2

I found a couple Nike Engaged toe sweep wedges with the blue covering on them still.

Can't wait to get these on the course.

• Like 2

attachicon.gifIMG_2806.PNGattachicon.gifIMG_2807.PNG

What is this?!?!?

Driver: TM M2 10.5 Stiff Aldila Rogue

Fairway: TM M2 Fujikara Stiff

Hybrid: Nike Vapor Fly CK Tensei Stiff

Irons: Nike Vapor Fly TT XP 85 Reg Standard loft and lie

Wedges: Nike Engage 52°, 54°, 58°

Putter: Nike Method Origin B1-01

• Like 1

I bet their old staffers do.

I've been keeping tabs on the guys that switched companies, well at least the big names, I'll give you 2, Rory, and Finau.

It seems that most, but not all of their old staffers are struggling to make the switch comfortably.

The guys still playing them like Fleetwood... might be prolonging the inevitable. They'll eventually wear out.

• Like 1

I bet their old staffers do.

I've been keeping tabs on the guys that switched companies, well at least the big names, I'll give you 2, Rory, and Finau.

It seems that most, but not all of their old staffers are struggling to make the switch comfortably.

The guys still playing them like Fleetwood... might be prolonging the inevitable. They'll eventually wear out.

Do you think it's possible that either the few players still using their equipment or Nike have some equipment left over for them just in case they wanted to prolong the inevitable?

Driver: TM M2 10.5 Stiff Aldila Rogue

Fairway: TM M2 Fujikara Stiff

Hybrid: Nike Vapor Fly CK Tensei Stiff

Irons: JPX 900 Forged Project X LZ 5.5/115

Wedges: Mizuno T7 Blue 54°, White Satin56°

Putter: Nike Method Origin B1-01

Do you think it's possible that either the few players still using their equipment or Nike have some equipment left over for them just in case they wanted to prolong the inevitable?

I think I read they'll have Tour support through this season. Could be wrong.

- Alan