Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

My Club Fitting Experience at Impact Precision Golf in Houston

I wanted to take a minute to give kudos to the guys at Impact Precision Golf in Houston , especially Major Bell. I went in this Saturday to have a SAM puttlab session with my current putter and to check the gapping on my irons with their Trackman. Impact does a lot of shaft fitting for Long Drive competitors, so I figured they would also be a good place for me to try and milk some more distance out of my driver and wow did they ever!

My irons were in great shape and Major said that the Recoil shaft was a perfect fit for me, so that got me off to a good start. He made some adjustments to a couple of lie angles as the Srixon's are a very soft forging, and bent my PW, 52, and 58 wedges 1 degree stronger to bridge some gapping issues that I was having.

I hit my 3 wood several times and Major told me to put it back in the bag because he would only be putting me into a shaft that did the same thing. Good to know that I was in the right shaft for my 3 wood (Ping Tour 75). Which had me wondering if I was going to be in the right shaft in my driver already, which was a little scary as I'm not hitting it as far as I would like.

As good a shaft as the Ping Tour was for me in a 3 wood, it was just as bad for me in the driver! My decision came down to two other UST shafts though, the ATTAS Punch and ATTAS Cool. I am going with the ATTAS Punch which is going to be tipped to knock a little more spin off. It felt the best to me and my dispersion with it was unreal. Here are the numbers, and yes there is a TERRIBLE shot on there with the Ping Tour but we left it as it has happened to me a time or two on course. Even without that one the difference is noticeable between the shafts.

Ping Tour Trackman.PNGAttas Cool Trackman.PNGAttas Punch Trackman.PNG

I was blown away with the knowledge that Major showed in recognizing what I needed in a driver shaft. I understand now when people say get fitted for your driver shafts, because some of the shafts that theoretically should have worked for me didn't feel right. I hit the VA Slay, Even Flow Blue and Black, and Graphtie Designs Tour ADzi as well. The ATTAS punch was the first shaft I hit, and I came back at the end when I was tired and hit it again with it feeling the same.

I'll put the putting info in a second post as I know this one is dragging on a bit.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

After all of the full shot fitting work we moved over to the SAM Putt Lab and put some work in. I was surprised again as I now realize I am not good at self diagnosing.  :unsure:

I had a very repeatable stroke, 96% face angle consistency and 92% rotation consistency, and was very consistent with strike, although they were just a touch heel side of center. I aim 1.4* right and deliver the club .4* right, so I had some areas to work on there. SAM recommended me for a mallet with 30* toe hang or less. I have never had much luck with face balanced putters, so it appears that the year of the toe hang mallet may coincide perfectly for me!

If you are in Texas I would highly recommend the Impact Precision Golf guys. I had a fitting in San Antonio that didn't come close to this level of detail. And just in case anyone is wondering I am not compensated for this "endorsement"  :D . Just figured you guys would like seeing some of the inside story on a good fitting. I have had three now and this was by far the best.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

Great stuff JD. Thats a huge difference in performance of those shafts. Phenomenal smash factor numbers as well.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Great stuff JD. Thats a huge difference in performance of those shafts. Phenomenal smash factor numbers as well.

Thanks! I was blown away by the improvement they made in my driver. I thought that I might get 5 yards more if I was lucky, but I was in such a bad shaft fit for me that they were able to do more. I can't even describe how good the ATTAS Punch felt through the ball. It was like the sensation and satisfaction of making a whip crack. The funny thing is that the Ping Tour is a UST shaft as well, it's just a completely different profile.

It was like the ATTAS Punch was made just for me, and I know now that I have never been in the perfect shaft for me until now. Now just drumming my fingers on the desk waiting for my tax return to come in!

Thanks! I was blown away by the improvement they made in my driver. I thought that I might get 5 yards more if I was lucky, but I was in such a bad shaft fit for me that they were able to do more. I can't even describe how good the ATTAS Punch felt through the ball. It was like the sensation and satisfaction of making a whip crack. The funny thing is that the Ping Tour is a UST shaft as well, it's just a completely different profile.

It was like the ATTAS Punch was made just for me, and I know now that I have never been in the perfect shaft for me until now. Now just drumming my fingers on the desk waiting for my tax return to come in!

Ha. Waiting is always the hardest part. Ive spent many of days looking out the window for that Blue/Orange and White Fed Ex truck.

Ha. Waiting is always the hardest part. Ive spent many of days looking out the window for that Blue/Orange and White Fed Ex truck.

Shouldn't that be I spend most days waiting for that new club to arrive?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Nice writeup on your fitting. It is really interesting what you can learn about clubs during a fitting and how slight changes can dramatically influence how clubs perform.

After my fitting I thought about the thread on how much would you pay for 10 yards. I am in that boat now trying to determine if the 10 yard gain is worth the cost of a new drive or irons.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Very nice write up! Sounds like your set for a fun year.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Shouldn't that be I spend most days waiting for that new club to arrive?

Well the ckub Is usually inside said truck. Ha

Very nice write up! Sounds like your set for a fun year.

Hoping so!

Archived