Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

2019 drivers vs Callaway big bertha 815

RG123

Welcome to the forum!

I think the consensus here would be two things. First, there have been some very good drivers released recently (or that are about to released). It is not at all unlikely that one of them would, on average, show some kind of distance or dispersion improvement over your current club.

But second, the only way to know that is to be fitted. I believe it is the founder of MGS who coined the line, "There is no club that's best for everyone, but there is a club best for you." A good place to start your search is www.truegolffit.com, which takes the thousands of shots of testing data done by MGS, compares it to details about your own swing, and recommends a driver that is very likely to maximize the performance of your swing.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

One of the things that's always important to ask when looking at any new club purchase... Is there a specific reason? Are you looking for/expecting more distance? Need to hit more fairways? Or, are you simply looking for a change in cosmetics or sound?

When it comes to distance, you could gain a few yards - especially if your club is off the rack and you go get fit for the new one. Same is true for dispersion. I don't think you'll see a very significant difference from a '15 model though if you just plan to buy off the rack unless your gamer performs that poorly.

A good step is to always take what you have to a local fitter or PGA coach/instructor with access to a launch monitor and a few demos to try. I personally would shy away from big box stores with hitting bays though. It's no secret that some of those places fudge the numbers just to make a quick buck. Another consideration is to make sure you're able to do this at an actual driving range and not just hitting off a mat into a net. Many golfers have discovered that they swing quite differently in an indoor/simulated environment vs. a normal course environment. It's happened to me and for whatever reason, driver was the club I had the most trouble with.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Coming from another higher handicapper. I had a driver that a was a few years old and bought it off the rack. I did a basic fitting recently and found out that I am better fit to a stiffer shaft profile rather a regular flex. That alone has helped with dispersion and some distance. I'm sure if you see a fitter you can certainly see some gains. Heck, maybe you only need a different shaft and you can pick one up off ebay for $50 rather a brand new driver. 

Driver-  :taylormade-small:  2016 M2 12* Tensei Red Stiff

Wood(s)- :ping-small:  G400 5 Wood 16.9*/ 7 Wood 21.1* Alta CB Stiff

Irons-:mizuno-small:   JPX 900 Forged 6-GW NS Pro 950GH 

Wedges- :cleveland-small:   RTX 3 54*  588 RTX 2.0  58*   RTX 4 64*

Putter-  :taylormade-small:  Spider Tour Black 

Instagram- @patrickleeleep

5 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Welcome to the forum!

I think the consensus here would be two things. First, there have been some very good drivers released recently (or that are about to released). It is not at all unlikely that one of them would, on average, show some kind of distance or dispersion improvement over your current club.

But second, the only way to know that is to be fitted. I believe it is the founder of MGS who coined the line, "There is no club that's best for everyone, but there is a club best for you." A good place to start your search is www.truegolffit.com, which takes the thousands of shots of testing data done by MGS, compares it to details about your own swing, and recommends a driver that is very likely to maximize the performance of your swing.

I couldn't sum it up any better than this. 

As a high handicapper TGF is a GREAT place to start! 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Archived