Kor.A.Door

Snell MTB-X

19 minutes ago, newballcoach said:

Hey guys, great thread and conversation about the MTB-X. This will be very useful for me to look at as I was chosen as a tester for the MTB-X for the forum. We just finished handing over all of our information so I am hoping to have the balls in hand within a few weeks and maybe we can have our stage 1's up a bit after that. 

I am hearing a lot of people are happy with driver and putting performance, which is great. I am surprised people have reported wedge and iron spin as being so low, since the MGS golf ball buyers guide did not show that. I wonder if that's where the higher compression comes into play?

Has anyone noticed shots going more offline than normal? I know that was a big concern in the testing as well. I would love to hear some more feedback before I get down to do my testing so I know what to look for. Thanks all!

I do not see the MTB-X spinning on the low end of the spectrum with the wedges.  I am consistently getting pitches around the green to "hop and stop."  Bunker shots have been outstanding.  We have a lot of false fronts and elevated greens so being able to control a ball so well out of sand has been a pleasant surprise.  Full shots into the greens have also been consistently within a foot of their pitch mark.

As for the random offline shot, I haven't experienced anything out of the ordinary.  As a matter of fact, I'm finding fairways with a quite a bit more regularity with the MTB-X. 

I'm not trying to be overly praising of the MTB-X.  I'm honestly trying to find something to nitpick.  But that's what it would be, a nitpick.  I can't find anything to complain about. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, sixcat said:

I do not see the MTB-X spinning on the low end of the spectrum with the wedges.  I am consistently getting pitches around the green to "hop and stop."  Bunker shots have been outstanding.  We have a lot of false fronts and elevated greens so being able to control a ball so well out of sand has been a pleasant surprise.  Full shots into the greens have also been consistently within a foot of their pitch mark.

As for the random offline shot, I haven't experienced anything out of the ordinary.  As a matter of fact, I'm finding fairways with a quite a bit more regularity with the MTB-X. 

I'm not trying to be overly praising of the MTB-X.  I'm honestly trying to find something to nitpick.  But that's what it would be, a nitpick.  I can't find anything to complain about. 

Just placed an order for some in optic yellow. I'll be back on here in a few weeks to report my personal findings with these against my beloved Blacks.

• Like 1

Got another round in today, best ball tourney, played several shots off the tee, from the fairway, around the green. If you see my previous post the titleist velocity is hands down a much better ball. Played the Snell mtb-x, prov1x, bridgestone tourbx. And for ME, for My game the velocity so far is in the lead.

I saw a pic of these on Instagram, and after seeing they still have the seam running around the equator of the ball, there’s no way I can play these. Seems like Snell would’ve figured out a way to get rid of that by now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, PMookie said:

I saw a pic of these on Instagram, and after seeing they still have the seam running around the equator of the ball, there’s no way I can play these. Seems like Snell would’ve figured out a way to get rid of that by now.

TP5 and TP5x have pretty noticeable seams 

• Like 1

I happened to have a Snell MTB Red near me and I just examined it.  Couldn't see a visible seam upon examination.

• Like 3

I've never noticed a seem on any of my MTB Blacks and don't recall seeing them while testing the Reds either. I'll take a good hard look at my X's when they arrive here later this week and take some pics.

I've played all of the MTB's and the only one without a visible seem is the Red.  However, at least Snell used the seem logically by putting the alignment on the seem.  

As for performance, I still have some of the Reds and used them this past weekend, and I know everyone complains about too much spin, but I was very happy to have hit a 5-iron 195 yard out of the rough, landing it on an elevated green and getting it to stop within 3 feet of my pitch mark.  Since Dean stopped making the Reds, the X is now my ball of choice.

• Like 3

IMG_9319.jpg
The new TP5X “seam” is NOWHERE near as visible as this. Not even close.

Posted (edited)
On ‎06‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 9:14 AM, PMookie said:

IMG_9319.jpg
The new TP5X “seam” is NOWHERE near as visible as this. Not even close.

I must be blind or not quite understand what a "seam" looks like. To me a seem would amount to some sort of obvious raised or ragged edge that could be seen where the ball halves have met during production. I do not see one here. Looking closer, is it the gap between the dimples that is the seam? Must be... right?

Edited by PING Apologist #9
spelling

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, PING Apologist #9 said:

I must be blind or not quite understand what a "seem" looks like. To me a seem would amount to some sort of obvious raised or ragged edge that could be seen where the ball halves have met during production. I do not see one here. Looking closer, is it the gap between the dimples that is the seem? Must be... right?

The seam on a golf ball is where the two halves of the cast meet in the production of the ball, and on a lot of cheaper balls is visible in the finished product as a circumference around the ball with no dimples. So yeah, in the picture there, it is the "gap" in the dimple pattern that goes all the way around the ball.

Edited by cynogriffin
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, cynogriffin said:

The seam on a golf ball is where the two halves of the cast meet in the production of the ball, and on a lot of cheaper balls is visible in the finished product as a circumference around the ball with no dimples. So yeah, in the picture there, it is the "gap" in the dimple pattern that goes all the way around the ball.

Big 10-4! Learn something new every day. Thanks!!

On 4/7/2019 at 10:53 AM, Kor.A.Door said:

I was able to try the new Snell MTB X (yellow) golf ball Saturday and it is a very good ball, however, it does not suit my game. I didn’t like it from the tee, the irons were ok, and putting it was really good. Compared to last years MTB red model it is different. The X model has Much less spin on all clubs. I found that around the greens I could produce very little spin compared to the “red” model which had almost too much spin. Overall the the X model ball is more consistent from tee to green, but it lacked the spin around the greens that I was hoping for. I will be switching back to the MTB black (yellow version) it seems to have the characteristics of ball that I prefer. 

I found that the MTB-X fell out of the sky off all my clubs. The Black does better for me.

Posted (edited)

ProV, TP5, Chrome soft all have seams as well? I used to play ProV and I used to line up my drives perpendicular to the seam. If I am not mistaken Titleist prints the ProV logo and line on that seam. 

Maybe the newer versions hide the seam better, but I used to look for and find the seam on every ball I played. 

Edited by Kor.A.Door

Would be pretty interested to see if there is a difference in performance in hitting along the seam vs. against the seam. I can't say I've ever really noticed the seam on any ball I've played but now I'm curious. 

me thinks thou doth protest too much .... jmo, but I don't think a visual seam is a performance issue.

Mine are here...

IMG_20190605_185235610.thumb.jpg.76b2c316e1c8df9a4604588675651c70.jpg

As always with a "live-ink" thank-you and signature from Dean Snell himself. Damn I love this sort of thing!!! Thanks Dean!

• Like 4

So my first impressions with the MTB-X (yellow) are "Oh crap! it still balloons!" But that was on one of few good hits I've had from the tee with driver so far, and that one was into the wind. I've only played with a few (3) off and on for the last couple of rounds and simply don't have al lot good data yet. I think I am having a bit of vapor lock when looking down at a yellow ball...just something I need to get used to. It does feel a little harder off the putter face and I simply need some more quality time with them (especially around the greens) before I say "yay" or "nay". More to come.

• Like 3

I’ve been test the MTB-X, for a week now. I’ve got 4 rounds and lots of practice with it. I’ll save my review for the official form.

TP5 Pix, TP5x, Chrome Soft X, ProV1x, and Pro V1 all went head to head.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5

I played the Red all last year, and upon reflection it probably did spin too much for my game (12 handicap with 98MPH SS).  I got the test pack and switched to the MTBX based on track man data. I've been very happy with it. Good distance. I've had no trouble with generating greenside spin. Irons stop or pull back a bit on greens. For the price I'm thrilled with the ball. 

• Like 1