Jump to content
BirdieBoyz2

What is everyones favorite new irons?

Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

On 11/6/2019 at 6:23 PM, ole gray said:

I love love love my Callaway Rogue X irons! 😍   The more I game em the more I love em 💓

 

1 hour ago, Sluggo42 said:

When did you start playing these bad boys?

My thoughts exactly @Sluggo42

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well these Wilson Staff D7s are starting to win me over week by week.  GIRs are on the rise and these are beginning to finally turn into weapons. If I could only get my putter to start behaving again, birdies would be falling. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sluggo42 said:

When did you start playing these bad boys?

Just over two weeks ago.  They are just as long as the TA Atomic irons with much better feel.  The short irons are really sweet for stopping the ball on the greens.   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These babies right here.
IMG_0821.jpg
Custom components for me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright so I just got fitted last week for irons and hit a ton of shots with lots of clubs. I hit MP20 HMB, Rogue, Apex, G410, P790, i500, TW747 and AP2. After going through all of this I feel like I need to go back again to hit more. JPX919, T-series, MP20 MB, what else have I missed? Also at what point can does one finally feel informed to choose a set haha.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2019 at 12:30 AM, tchat07 said:

Alright so I just got fitted last week for irons and hit a ton of shots with lots of clubs. I hit MP20 HMB, Rogue, Apex, G410, P790, i500, TW747 and AP2. After going through all of this I feel like I need to go back again to hit more. JPX919, T-series, MP20 MB, what else have I missed? Also at what point can does one finally feel informed to choose a set haha.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app
 

C300 forged or FG Tour V6

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2019 at 12:30 AM, tchat07 said:

Alright so I just got fitted last week for irons and hit a ton of shots with lots of clubs. I hit MP20 HMB, Rogue, Apex, G410, P790, i500, TW747 and AP2. After going through all of this I feel like I need to go back again to hit more. JPX919, T-series, MP20 MB, what else have I missed? Also at what point can does one finally feel informed to choose a set haha.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app
 

That is quite an assortment and still more to come.  Ha 

I would narrow it down to two. One you liked the looks of best and had good numbers and one that gave you the best results and then go back a day hit then head to head. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2019 at 10:25 PM, tehuti said:

These babies right here.
IMG_0821.jpg
Custom components for me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always good to see another fellow Maltby fan 😁

It's only a matter of time before MGS does a Maltby test or set up a member testing. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2019 at 6:23 PM, ole gray said:

I love love love my Callaway Rogue X irons! 😍   The more I game em the more I love em 💓

We’re two birds of a feather, lol. We both had the Steelhead X-ray irons and hybrids, and I told you to try the 5.

I switched to the Roguex and here you are... try the x hybrids btw, they’re rocket launchers.

Now it’s my turn to follow you. I just put the Flash 10.5* in the bag and I love it. I had one a few weeks that was 9* with a different shaft. I couldn’t hit it, and exchanged it thru their playability program. This one is much better!

what should we try next buddy??? 😀

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

We’re two birds of a feather, lol. We both had the Steelhead X-ray irons and hybrids, and I told you to try the 5.

I switched to the Roguex and here you are... try the x hybrids btw, they’re rocket launchers.

Now it’s my turn to follow you. I just put the Flash 10.5* in the bag and I love it. I had one a few weeks that was 9* with a different shaft. I couldn’t hit it, and exchanged it thru their playability program. This one is much better!

what should we try next buddy??? 😀

Don't say never buy again however I think we are set for a while now 😉

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The hot new iron now is the "Rustless Precision" from Louisville Golf.

I suspect that it might be difficult to be seriously competitve with anything else.  These look like the real deal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ole gray said:

Don't say never buy again however I think we are set for a while now 😉

B-b-b-but I need a fairway wood, lol.... 🙄

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got the Hogan PTX Pro's right when they came out. I have several sets of irons right now (919 tour/ctaper lite, 718 mb/PX 6.0) - the hogans always find their way into the bag. I really like them. What I find particularly attractive is that even though 7i-4i are hollow-bodied, they retain weaker lofts. Also, the longer irons start to get a smidgen of offset which isn't 100% pleasing to the eye, but are wonderful in play. The ball flight (for me) is everything that I want (got them in KBS tour V Stiff) - high and flat. Distances are 100% predictable. As with any iron, mis-hits really feel terrible and go nowhere, but I seem to notice it more in the Hogans. I've also gamed Z785s which are about as good as an iron can get.

I also agree with those saying that if/when the new Wilson CBs come out, they will likely be wonderful. 

I've hit all the new Titleist and Mizuno stuff (the T100s are spectacular in every way). All of the new Honma stuff is great, too.

We're lucky as golfers right now to have so many options, but it certainly makes it tough to pick just one!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
What about Miura or Sub 70

I purchased a set of Miura Baby Blades this summer. Honeymoon is over and we love each other more than ever. Seriously, they are nit forgiving, but they are the best irons i have ever hit. My handicap dropped 3 point since i bought them. (Really 4 points but i went on a trip and played some hard courses and had some bad days. Meh....golf...life). I love these little beauties.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Alpinestar217 said:

 I've also gamed Z785s which are about as good as an iron can get.

 

... Just curious and I know it depends on each individual player but that said, how did you find the Z785 4/5/6 irons as far as forgivenss? I have a set of ZForged and might be interested in adding the 785 long irons. Of course I can always add my 4/5/6 Forged Tours or P760's but it might nice to have matching irons for both look at address and feel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, chisag said:

 

... Just curious and I know it depends on each individual player but that said, how did you find the Z785 4/5/6 irons as far as forgivenss? I have a set of ZForged and might be interested in adding the 785 long irons. Of course I can always add my 4/5/6 Forged Tours or P760's but it might nice to have matching irons for both look at address and feel. 

Yea, I mean they were really great. I had the 965s and mixed up a set for a few rounds. There wasn't much in it as far as looks/blade lengths in the 965s (which seemed to be a larger blade overall) vs 785s. Very minimal difference - very similar look from the top.

Forgiveness is exactly what you'd expect - a small increase over a blade, but not bounds of forgiveness. For me, just that tiny bit of extra height in the longer irons on the average shot, maybe a smidgen of help off the toe. My swing has changed (mostly for better) quite a bit, but if I had the 785s weakened a bit, they would be just about perfect right now. 

You'd definitely feel comfortable over the 785s if you're used to looking down at the Zforged. That would be a pretty slick set of sticks right there. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I love love love my Callaway Rogue X irons!    The more I game em the more I love em 

10 posts earlier the Atomics were your choice... What happened???


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to say I have the Cobra King CB/MB in the bag and they have stayed in the bag the longest since my college days. Surprisingly good forgiveness in the MB and the CB are near perfect for the longer irons. Plus the DBM finish really holds up well and when it does start to show some wear its a solid look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...