edingc's Work In Progress

Our Sponsors

This thread is a good read; looks like you've made some great progress.

Have you fleshed out what your offseason practice/training regimen looks like?

• Like 1

Driver: :honma:TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrids: :titelist-small: TS3 3 & 4H, Project X Evenflow Blue 85g Stiff

Driving Iron: :mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB 3i, UST Mamiya recoil ES 780 F3

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 4- GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM7 54 S Grind, 58 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B 

:SuperSpeed:

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The weather has turned to fall here in Michigan, and I’m ready to bring my golf season to a close.  We’ll have at least one or two more weekends of decent temperatures, but with the amount of pre

Thanks! That's as good of a place to start as any, I suppose! First, to recap a few loosely-defined goals I had for this year: 1) Play More Golf Never mind the fact that "more" is a ter

I constantly need to remind myself to stay mentally focused. I have a goal (and not just for golf) for 2020, stolen from a word my instructor uses a lot. Kaizen. A Japanese concept of improvement

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Have you fleshed out what your offseason practice/training regimen looks like?

I have a rough idea. First things first, I need to drop about 12 pounds of weight that I added this summer to get back to where I was at the beginning of the season. 

Last week I started lifting again, I should have never stopped. For the next three months or so I will be working through Greg Nuckols' "28 Programs" sheets, focusing on squats, deadlifts and bench press. I used them to great success last winter/early spring, and I've now moved on to the "intermediate" levels of both squats and bench press along with more deadlift volume.

I've been adding a lot of flexibility work in the morning before work and before I start lifting as well. Typically I do some form of a quick yoga in the morning and then I do mobility work from the Fit For Golf warm-up manual in the evening.

Once January rolls around I'm planning on shifting over to one of the Fit For Golf programs, most likely either the SuperSpeed program or the new one Mike is planning on releasing soon. 

As far as swing stuff goes, I'm skipping October, but once November hits I will typically do one lesson per month with my swing coach. I try to get to the heated range once a week, but because it's about a 50 mile round trip it's very dependent on weather.

I'm going to do some Planemate work in my basement and garage, and I will start using my SuperSpeed-C club in January as well.

I have a new Exputt simulator for putting and that will get a lot of work over the winter as well.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 9.7 (Last Updated Nov. 27, 2020)

Driver: cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to Draw), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 80 Hybrid Stiff
19° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone 4 Iron, 2° Flat, 39.75", X-Caliber Rapid Taper 75g Stiff
22° Hybrid:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING F8, 38.5", Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff
5-GW:  
maltby_logo.png.c889f4bebd3ab94fe9c37e77ba6c0c55.png Maltby PTM Chrome, 1° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" (54°), -1/4" (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3°
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: :Arccos: Arccos / Cobra Connect
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8

2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

1 hour ago, edingc said:

I have a rough idea. First things first, I need to drop about 12 pounds of weight that I added this summer to get back to where I was at the beginning of the season. 

Last week I started lifting again, I should have never stopped. For the next three months or so I will be working through Greg Nuckols' "28 Programs" sheets, focusing on squats, deadlifts and bench press. I used them to great success last winter/early spring, and I've now moved on to the "intermediate" levels of both squats and bench press along with more deadlift volume.

I've been adding a lot of flexibility work in the morning before work and before I start lifting as well. Typically I do some form of a quick yoga in the morning and then I do mobility work from the Fit For Golf warm-up manual in the evening.

Once January rolls around I'm planning on shifting over to one of the Fit For Golf programs, most likely either the SuperSpeed program or the new one Mike is planning on releasing soon. 

As far as swing stuff goes, I'm skipping October, but once November hits I will typically do one lesson per month with my swing coach. I try to get to the heated range once a week, but because it's about a 50 mile round trip it's very dependent on weather.

I'm going to do some Planemate work in my basement and garage, and I will start using my SuperSpeed-C club in January as well.

I have a new Exputt simulator for putting and that will get a lot of work over the winter as well.

Damn; bravo!  Hope you find time to eat and sleep somewhere in there too!  😂

• Like 1

Jokes aside, looks like a great plan.

I’m personally really excited for many months of Planemate protocols and the wider and more structured backswing it should help me groove.

• Like 1

I played my last round of the season last night, a quick nine hole walk. My home course has closed already for the season, I'm guessing many others won't be far behind. 

Aided somewhat by the #CobraConnect Challenge and the coronavirus pandemic ruining other summer plans, my 2020 season eclipsed 2019 in every way. I played:

• 51 18-hole rounds
  • 16 9-hole rounds
  • 1 9-hole practice round
  • 1 18-hole alternate shot round with @ncwoz
  • 1 18-hole two-person scramble

That's a total of 70 rounds of golf. With my four-over 40 last night, I'm ending the year with an estimated WHS handicap of 10.9. It's not quite where I wanted to be, but my game is in much better shape than when I ended last season thanks to lessons.

I wrote down some specific goals for the 2020 offseason and the 2021 season:

1) Long Iron Mastery

My home course takes driver out of your hand on several holes because the fairways are just too narrow. However, even with an iron in my hand, I am very unreliable off the tee. I lose over three strokes a round to a scratch golfer because of inaccuracy and penalties off the tee according to Arccos. My driver needs a lot of help, unfortunately the heated range bays are not wide enough to swing it comfortably. So, since I use irons/hybrids so often, one of my goals for the winter is to master tee shots with my 2 hybrid, 19 degree driving iron and 5/6 irons. Those clubs all get plenty of use from the tee throughout a typical round. 

My goal is to see my Arccos driving handicap falling to less than 10 next season.

2) Putting

Same goal as last season. I still three putt way too often - nearly 16 percent of the time this season. I recently was fit for and purchased a L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 putter, and I also acquired an EXPUTT putting simulator. We'll see if the additional practice translates to being a better putter. 

Obviously, first putt distance plays a big role in number of putts, but I miss a lot of putts inside of 10 feet and would love to be much better in this area.

My goal is to see my Arccos putting handicap under 1 next season.

3) Speed / Fitness

I put on a little too much weight this summer from being neglectful of my diet. I'd love to shave about 15 pounds this offseason and continue my weightlifting work.

I plan on restarting the SuperSpeed C protocols sometime in January. I've set an goal of seeing 160 MPH+ driver ball speeds with my FlightScope Mevo on the range next summer.

• Like 2

Driver: cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to Draw), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 80 Hybrid Stiff
19° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone 4 Iron, 2° Flat, 39.75", X-Caliber Rapid Taper 75g Stiff
22° Hybrid:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING F8, 38.5", Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff
5-GW:  
maltby_logo.png.c889f4bebd3ab94fe9c37e77ba6c0c55.png Maltby PTM Chrome, 1° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" (54°), -1/4" (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3°

2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

• 4 weeks later...

I'm officially switched into offseason mode after a 14-hole practice round this past Saturday in pretty cold temperatures. If the longer term weather forecast is correct, I may be able to get some more golf in on Black Friday, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I've been lifting for the past month or so and am glad to see most of my progress I made last winter/this past spring has not been lost. I'm not at @Getoffmylawn strength levels yet, but I'm slowly making progress and am stronger than I have been ever in my life before this point. My plan is to continue the "peaking" program I am on currently until around Christmas when I will be running a modified version of @Fit_For_Golf's Golfstrong workouts until the snow is gone.

The PlaneMate has been getting some use in the basement with whiffle balls. Despite the low ceilings I can practice my takeaway and shortened follow through, both of which the PlanteMate is very good at reinforcing. Additionally, I have been chipping into a cushion working on low point control. I switched to a reverse overlap chipping grip in October and it has made a world of difference in my consistency.

Starting tomorrow, Michigan is going into a modified COVID lockdown (not nearly as strict as in March), but I will be working from home again for at least the next three weeks and probably will be at home most days until spring. This means I can continue to workout at lunch and probably get my SuperSpeed training started a little bit earlier than I anticipated.

My goal is to get to the heated range once a week throughout the winter, weather permitting, to work on full swings. I need to make a decision about what irons I will be gaming next year. I've never 100 percent gotten along with the Cobra SpeedZone irons, and a few weeks ago I took out my Maltby PTMs for a practice round and really struck the ball well. As of right now the PTMs are winning the race to be in my bag at the start of next season.

I'm unhappy with my bag setup between the driver and 5 iron. I currently carry a 3 wood, 17 degree hybrid, and 19 degree driving iron/SpeedZone 4 iron (two to choose from). I typically design my bag around my home course, but I hate having so many "single use" clubs. The 3 wood is never used, the 17 degree hybrid is great off the tee but I struggled with it from the ground/fairway, and I generally like the driving iron but wish it was the lower lofted of the hybrid/driving iron combo I have going.

The Callaway Super Hybrid intrigues me. I've wondered if I could game the 17 degree version (perhaps turned down to 16 degrees), which might be easier to hit from the fairway than the 3 wood, but still be an option from the tee. I could then pair it with some sort of driving iron in the 18-19 degree range, and a regular hybrid around 21/22 degrees. I've been looking at the TaylorMade GAPRs and the Sub70 line of utility clubs and hybrids. 

Just a thought. I doubt I will make any changes until early summer next year. But it's fun to look!

• Like 4

17° Hybrid:
19° Driving Iron: 
22° Hybrid:
5-GW:  
54°, 58°:
Putter:

9 minutes ago, edingc said:

I'm officially switched into offseason mode after a 14-hole practice round this past Saturday in pretty cold temperatures. If the longer term weather forecast is correct, I may be able to get some more golf in on Black Friday, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I've been lifting for the past month or so and am glad to see most of my progress I made last winter/this past spring has not been lost. I'm not at @Getoffmylawn strength levels yet, but I'm slowly making progress and am stronger than I have been ever in my life before this point. My plan is to continue the "peaking" program I am on currently until around Christmas when I will be running a modified version of @Fit_For_Golf's Golfstrong workouts until the snow is gone.

The PlaneMate has been getting some use in the basement with whiffle balls. Despite the low ceilings I can practice my takeaway and shortened follow through, both of which the PlanteMate is very good at reinforcing. Additionally, I have been chipping into a cushion working on low point control. I switched to a reverse overlap chipping grip in October and it has made a world of difference in my consistency.

Starting tomorrow, Michigan is going into a modified COVID lockdown (not nearly as strict as in March), but I will be working from home again for at least the next three weeks and probably will be at home most days until spring. This means I can continue to workout at lunch and probably get my SuperSpeed training started a little bit earlier than I anticipated.

My goal is to get to the heated range once a week throughout the winter, weather permitting, to work on full swings. I need to make a decision about what irons I will be gaming next year. I've never 100 percent gotten along with the Cobra SpeedZone irons, and a few weeks ago I took out my Maltby PTMs for a practice round and really struck the ball well. As of right now the PTMs are winning the race to be in my bag at the start of next season.

I'm unhappy with my bag setup between the driver and 5 iron. I currently carry a 3 wood, 17 degree hybrid, and 19 degree driving iron/SpeedZone 4 iron (two to choose from). I typically design my bag around my home course, but I hate having so many "single use" clubs. The 3 wood is never used, the 17 degree hybrid is great off the tee but I struggled with it from the ground/fairway, and I generally like the driving iron but wish it was the lower lofted of the hybrid/driving iron combo I have going.

The Callaway Super Hybrid intrigues me. I've wondered if I could game the 17 degree version (perhaps turned down to 16 degrees), which might be easier to hit from the fairway than the 3 wood, but still be an option from the tee. I could then pair it with some sort of driving iron in the 18-19 degree range, and a regular hybrid around 21/22 degrees. I've been looking at the TaylorMade GAPRs and the Sub70 line of utility clubs and hybrids. 

Just a thought. I doubt I will make any changes until early summer next year. But it's fun to look!

Not expecting you to give the full rundown, but can you elaborate on what the GolfStrong program entails from an exercise/frequency/sets & reps standpoint?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Not expecting you to give the full rundown, but can you elaborate on what the GolfStrong program entails from an exercise/frequency/sets & reps standpoint?

It consists of a lot of similar stuff to the exercises he has been posting on Twitter. But basically it's a three day per week workout with a mixture of flexibility work, heavy compound lifts (one or two per workout) and then some explosive movements with bands/balls/kettlebells.

To be honest, you'd probably find it quite light on volume compared to what you're running now. I do, too, but I'm always more interested in the flexibility/mobility work and the explosive exercises, which are things I don't do enough of at the moment.

• Like 1

17° Hybrid:
19° Driving Iron: 
22° Hybrid:
5-GW:  
54°, 58°:
Putter:

1 hour ago, edingc said:

It consists of a lot of similar stuff to the exercises he has been posting on Twitter. But basically it's a three day per week workout with a mixture of flexibility work, heavy compound lifts (one or two per workout) and then some explosive movements with bands/balls/kettlebells.

To be honest, you'd probably find it quite light on volume compared to what you're running now. I do, too, but I'm always more interested in the flexibility/mobility work and the explosive exercises, which are things I don't do enough of at the moment.

Sounds good.  Come January, or whenever I hit the size goal I've got in mind, I do plan to slim down the weight volumes and replace with explosive exercises and power work.

Good luck in your offseason!  I'm guessing April before the weather will let you back out?

• Like 1

On 11/18/2020 at 9:32 AM, Getoffmylawn said:

Good luck in your offseason!  I'm guessing April before the weather will let you back out?

Missed this last week. April is probably the true start of our season, last year I would have been able to get out 3-4 times in March had we not shut down halfway through the month (I did play two 18s the first two weeks).

• Like 1

17° Hybrid:
19° Driving Iron: 
22° Hybrid:
5-GW:  
54°, 58°:
Putter:

Had a fantastic range session this morning. I started my winter work last weekend and the first range session wasn't great. Looking over the video I realized I had gotten my hands really close to my body at address (again - this is a recurring problem that I've been working on for a long time). Today I went in keeping that in mind and after 15-20 balls feeling it out, I started hitting some really great shots.

I was happy to see ball speeds with my 5 iron creep over 131 a few times, 6 iron over 125 and 7 iron over 123. I'm sure with real balls I can squeeze out a few more MPH. More importantly, I'm hitting nice tight draws throughout the bag now and nothing that really cut at all. 

Still lots of work to do, but I had a good set of feelings going today:

• Proper grip, alignment and hand position at setup. I ended up having to weaken my right hand grip a little to keep the ball from moving too much right-to-left. Also need to continue to place my left hand a little lower on the grip so that my pinky can wrap comfortably.
  • Feel the grip strength coming from my left pinky. Having a little tension there still allows my wrists to be fluid and loose. If I get other fingers involved my wrists tense up and I start to leave the ball right.
  • Getting a nice wide takeaway, going straight back with my left arm and keeping the feeling of "right forearm over left" to the top. This keeps me connected and turning into my right hip.
  • Staying balanced in my turn so that I feel tension in my right hip and weight in my left foot just slightly toward the toes at completion of my backswing.
  • A feeling of throwing the club down the target line on the downswing. My tendency is to spin left and swing my path out-to-in which results in hooks if I don't get into the front of my left foot well.

I spent about half a bucket going maximum speed with the 5 iron and need to do more of that. I also tried speeding up my backswing some and the results were OK, but felt that, for me, feeling a little longer and normal tempo'ed backswing gave me the same speed and better results.

It feels good to feel like I'm making progress.

• Like 3

17° Hybrid:
19° Driving Iron: 
22° Hybrid:
5-GW:  
54°, 58°:
Putter: