Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Nike, what could have been..

Quigleyd

I can’t take credit for these As I found them on the gram, posted by Rick shiels, but thought they looked good. I think Nike was soo close to being a major hard goods brand..

515BE203-A0DE-4EE5-8CEA-EB47A294CA7E.png

FAAB2FF3-953D-42ED-A25A-003F91BDC878.png

DADBEB8B-DB06-44F9-8A2B-20ACB9D76BEA.png

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

Nike irons were amazing!  I played the original Nike Forged Pro Combo irons for 13 years, they were THAT good!    it was the rest of the line that was a bit lacking.

:taylormade-small: SIM Driver 9* | Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 70g

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub-Zero 3 Wood | Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-20s SEL | Project X LZ 6.0

:callaway-small: Jaws MD5 - 50 Degrees | Dynamic Gold S200

:cleveland-small: RTX 4  56.10 | 60.9 | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

:cameron-small:    Special Select 2020 - Newport 2

:bridgestone-small: Tour Bx 2020

Nike was barely getting around 4% of market share with 3 of the biggest names in golf with tiger, rory and wie. If that group can’t move product there was nothing Nike was going to be able to do to become major player in hard goods. If they were close they would have stayed in business 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Nike was barely getting around 4% of market share with 3 of the biggest names in golf with tiger, rory and wie. If that group can’t move product there was nothing Nike was going to be able to do to become major player in hard goods. If they were close they would have stayed in business 

Very true.. Maybe their sales were more regional. I saw a bunch of Nike stuff go out the door of the shop I work at part time. You most likely have far greater insight into equipment sales as a whole than I do. So I will of course defer to your knowledge base. 

My comment about  being close was more directed at the quality of their product. Not so much towards the sales. They had a rough start and I think that to some degree created a much steeper climb. Their last few releases were very good though. As far as design is concerned. 

With as big of a sporting goods monster that Nike is, if they left the market. It was for a reason. I selfishly wish they could have hung on a few more years. 

Edited by Quigleyd

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

1 hour ago, Quigleyd said:

Very true.. Maybe their sales were more regional. I saw a bunch of Nike stuff go out the door of the shop I work at part time. You most likely have far greater insight into equipment sales as a whole than I do. So I will of course defer to your knowledge base. 

My comment about  being close was more directed at the quality of their product. Not so much towards the sales. They had a rough start and I think that to some degree created a much steeper climb. Their last few releases were very good though. As far as design is concerned. 

With as big of a sporting goods monster that Nike is, if they left the market. It was for a reason. I selfishly wish they could have hung on a few more years. 

Nike made a great product especially in the vr irons.

i happen to have a friend or two over the years with access to sales numbers.  Nike was steady in the middle of the pack and could never gain ground on the big boys. From what I understand they weren’t losing money per se on hard good but because they weren’t growing they stepped away from hard goods like they did in many other sports

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Nike made a great product especially in the vr irons.

i happen to have a friend or two over the years with access to sales numbers.  Nike was steady in the middle of the pack and could never gain ground on the big boys. From what I understand they weren’t losing money per se on hard good but because they weren’t growing they stepped away from hard goods like they did in many other sports

As I understand it, Ping bought most of their patents. So maybe we are seeing what they would have done. With just a different name. 

24 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

As I understand it, Ping bought most of their patents. So maybe we are seeing what they would have done. With just a different name. 

Yeah that’s what I hear too.