Club Champion: Terrible Customer Support

Coogi

I had an idiot mark (I didn’t invent the phrase) on a TM BB driver years ago where I skied a ball on the driving range (those damn too high rubber “tees”) and it bugged the heck out of me. But I’d never dream of asking the club maker to fix it as a manufacturing defect- it’s clearly an operator error IMO. There are golf shops all over that will fix crown damage for about $50-60 bucks if it’s worth it to the operator.

I tee the ball so it’s half a ball above the top of the face at most, lower in a head wind. There is no way I could get an idiot mark again without teeing the ball too high...and I stay away from driving range mat rubber tees. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Driver crowns weigh next to nothing these days, all in the interest of buyers chasing performance - you can’t expect the crown to withstand ANY impact.

It was much easier to sky the ball back when driver faces were much smaller. With today’s high volume heads and huge faces, it’s definitely the operators fault for teeing high enough to make idiot marks.

• Like 3
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B Fit@TrueSpec ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Adidas Codechaos, FJ DryJoys

5 minutes ago, Middler said:

I had an idiot mark (I didn’t invent the phrase) on a TM BB driver years ago where I skied a ball on the driving range (those damn too high rubber “tees”) and it bugged the heck out of me. But I’d never dream of asking the club maker to fix it as a manufacturing defect- it’s clearly an operator error IMO. There are golf shops all over that will fix crown damage for about $50-60 bucks if it’s worth it to the operator.

I tee the ball so it’s half a ball above the top of the face at most, often lower in a head wind. There is no way I could get an idiot mark again without teeing the ball too high...and I stay away from driving range mat rubber tees.

Exactly. The club is designed to take wear on the portion that strikes the ball. If the equator of the ball is making contact high enough to touch the crown, it’s time to own it. 

• Like 1
  • Titleist TSI3 LAGolf DJ 65 5
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Mizuno Pro 223 4-P Nippon Modus 3 115X
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ.1 LAGolf P135 
  • Srixon Z-Star XV Divide

Western, NY - Go Bills!

5.1 Index

I have been fitted twice at CC and bought the clubs elsewhere.  The first fitter was a little better and there's always going to be variability in experience level/ability, etc. at a big company like them.  Both times they were patient and allowed me to come back to confirm the fit when I was fresh.  I actually went back a 3rd time for the driver as I was trying to decide between 2 shafts.  I told them up front that I preferred to try to fit the manufacturer offered upgrade shafts.  They had no problem doing that.  The second time I tried to fit into a manufacturer offered upgrade shaft, but got much better numbers with a VA shaft TM didn't offer.

They tried to sell me clubs, but didn't make a big deal, pressure me or give me attitude.  I saved a ton by buying elsewhere.

A fitting at TXG in Toronto would be like going to Disneyland on Christmas, and what I aspire to do someday.

• Like 2

8* SIM2 Custom / PX RDX Smoke Black 6.0 46.5"

15* SIM Ti / Velocore 7s

19* SIM Max Hy / GOST 39.5"

4,5 Srixon ZX5  6-P Srixon ZX7  ProjectX LZ 120 6.0

50/54/58 Cleveland Zipcore DG Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, Stability Tour shaft and SuperStroke

JumboMax Ultralight Small on Driver, Golf Pride Tour Velvet (irons and MCC (woods) Mid on all others.

TP5X Pix  and -ProV1

I have to say, my experience with Club Champion has been spectacular. I was skeptical about getting a putter fitting but have it a try. I spent almost 2 hours at the process. Well past what I was paying fir. My fitter gave me a clear understanding of what the prices was, how the tech and data worked and set expectations for the fitting. First we tried my Scotty Cameron Newport 2. I gave my own feedback about what i was seeing on the course. After a number of putts, it became evident that after years of use, the specs on the putter were way off. Who knew leaning on it had so much affect. 

we discussed the types of putters (. One wax a toe hang putter), the impact on strokes and my stats. Turns out a face balanced putter cured my misses to the right. I was not squaring the toe. After trying a number of putters we narrowed it down to 2 and I chose one. They let me walk out with their putter to use while mine was made and sent to me. 

I am headed back for a driver fitting and a look at the 3 wood and hybrids in a couple days. I have recommended this shop to friends and they loved the experience. 

I wonder if CC is experiencing growing pains with their expansion. I have researched the fitting process a lot after using Golf Galaxy and PGA Super Store. While I have a driver in mind, to me it is the data and the fitters expertise that I am paying for. It is expensive but my impression of the two previous places I got fit at is that they lack the inventory to offer me the best fitting. Also I suspect they have standard clubs/shafts they fit to. 

reach out to CC and let them hear your complaints. If they don't get back to you, use social media. Trust me, that will get their attention. 

• Like 2

I found out that club fitting is like everything else when you buy, either you get a good salesman, that will be honest, will inform you the right way, won't try to sell you something you don't need or he will screw you off to get his bonus. To fight that you have 2 choices, either find a good and honest fitter, ask around with friend and other golfer OR come prepared, know your numbers, look at tons of video fittings, especially people that have similar swing speed. it's fun to watch a 110 mph swing speed fitting but his numbers won't be yours.

As for chip on the crown I wish they would replace all the driver i'm gonna chip. Sometimes you get lucky and paint don't go off, sometimes it does.

I've done two fittings with Club Champion.  Santa Monica, Los Angeles.

Loved it.  Awesome results.  I could not be happier and I recommend CC to anyone expressing an interest in custom fit clubs.

1st fitting got me irons, wedges and woods.  Kept my old putter. Switched irons from MIzuno to TM and got graphite shafts (surprising to me, but love the results and no more elbow pain).

2nd fitting got me new woods, putter and irons. And 3 hours on Trackman with my new clubs.  I got fit to Honma irons... I was skeptical. I was switching out of TaylorMades from my previous CC fitting in 2016. I told them I was skeptical and not sure about the fitting and they said, "come back and and let's do the irons again."  I did.  Same results: Honma irons were the best for me. 

Cobra Driver

Callaway Mavrik 3 wood

Honma TR20P Irons

Vokey Wedges

EVNROLL ER5 Putter

Arccos System

I live here in Ohio two members of our club have gone to True Spec and been very happy.  However it is the same price as Club Champion.  One member who bought a 4 iron after playing it for a month decided to get a 7 wood.  He returned the used 4 iron for full credit toward the new 7 wood.

• Like 1

Doug Lewis

Avid golfer and middle handicapper

rosebowl 1.jpg

I went to CC for a fitting and like many who have mentioned on here it all depends on who the fitter is. Unfortunately my fitter had only one goal in mind, upcharge. I'm a 13 hdcp. (most of the time) and he was putting me into clubs that I know I wouldn't hit consistently (blades). It started off bad when he said that I didn't need any measurements (length, lie, etc.) because he's been doing it so long he could tell what I needed. I really wanted to hit some GI clubs and even try one length, didn't do either one. Bottom line is that I didn't get clubs there, fortunately they had a special on fitting so I didn't loose much. 

• Sad 1

:ping-small: G400 MAX  Alta CB- 55

:cobra-small: FW 15* King F-7 :Fuji: PRO-65

:ping-small: G400 Hybrid Alta CB-70

PXG 0211 5-SW Mitsubishi MMT Graphite

:titelist-small: AP1 52* SW TT XP-95

:taylormade-small: MG 58* TT DG Wedge

:bettinardi-1: BB-41

Grips- GP MCC+4

On 4/22/2021 at 5:46 PM, Middler said:

I tee the ball so it’s half a ball above the top of the face at most, lower in a head wind. There is no way I could get an idiot mark again without teeing the ball too high...and I stay away from driving range mat rubber tees. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Driver crowns weigh next to nothing these days, all in the interest of buyers chasing performance - you can’t expect the crown to withstand ANY impact.

It was much easier to sky the ball back when driver faces were much smaller. With today’s high volume heads and huge faces, it’s definitely the operators fault for teeing high enough to make idiot marks.

I take my own rubber tees to ranges that have mats. I picked up a bag that had all different sizes. I flip the mat back, pull theirs out, and put mine in. Problem solved. 

• Like 1

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi1 10* Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: 939x 5 hybrid

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (6 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"