Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Driver ball fly height

Sluggo42

I was always a mostly low ball hitter, that would run forever. My new driver swing is getting extraordinary height, I mean wayyyy up there. But, it’s still going as far, even farther sometimes, compared to my old bullets.

i just don’t know what the better flight is. One thing the soaring shots do is stay straighter, and they don’t drive off a cliff either, they kinda stay where they land. They are definitely funner to watch. I get a lot of oohs and ahhhs from the boys, so that’s fun too…

Where do you guys flight your driver? Is it by choice or just what happens with your swing? When I was hitting the bullet balls, I always wanted a higher flight, but now I’m getting it, but I couldn’t really tell you why… my only real change is a longer backswing that even goes past level. A fairly slow beginning, then hot when I get it close to the ball.

i do this with the old mavrik with a cheap stiff shaft. I had it set at +2°, but the new swing has had me move it back to 9° and neutral. And it’s still highhhhhh

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

14 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

I was always a mostly low ball hitter, that would run forever. My new driver swing is getting extraordinary height, I mean wayyyy up there. But, it’s still going as far, even farther sometimes, compared to my old bullets.

i just don’t know what the better flight is. One thing the soaring shots do is stay straighter, and they don’t drive off a cliff either, they kinda stay where they land. They are definitely funner to watch. I get a lot of oohs and ahhhs from the boys, so that’s fun too…

Where do you guys flight your driver? Is it by choice or just what happens with your swing? When I was hitting the bullet balls, I always wanted a higher flight, but now I’m getting it, but I couldn’t really tell you why… my only real change is a longer backswing that even goes past level. A fairly slow beginning, then hot when I get it close to the ball.

i do this with the old mavrik with a cheap stiff shaft. I had it set at +2°, but the new swing has had me move it back to 9° and neutral. And it’s still highhhhhh

Check your ball position and tee height.

I can hit some high bombs in my setup but sometimes I can overdo it with a high tee and then i get toe-y. I have settled more mid/low and love it this time of year.

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

Out of curiosity, I just looked at my True Spec data and it showed my average driver height at 80 feet, my average LA was 15 degrees, and AOA 0.2 degrees .  I always considered my driver ball height pretty average but I really don't know?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

What you describe doesn’t give a lot of details to say what’s good or bad.

Way up there doesn’t mean much, especially if someone has been hitting low bullets. Way up there could be too high from too much spin or it could be just what the golfer needs. 

Just stopping where they land could be a good thing or bad thing. Also could very based on course conditions. If the ball is ballooning as part of the way up there it’s not going to go anywhere when it lands. If it’s way up there but doesn’t have much spin it’s also not going to go anywhere because the descent angle is bad.

What is good is that you get balls that go further on carry than your old driver. A ball that stays on the air longer is going to have a chance to go farther. If carry distance is better than total distance with the new driver than that’s the better ball flight.

But in reality without seeing launch monitor numbers for both drivers on the same day can’t say which is better.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

21 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Out of curiosity, I just looked at my True Spec data and it showed my average driver height at 80 feet, my average LA was 15 degrees, and AOA 0.2 degrees .  I always considered my driver ball height pretty average but I really don't know?

Peak height is relative to ball speed, launch, etc. It’s been a minute since I looked at lpga averages for trackman but their avg ball sped iirc with in the 140s and peak height was about 75’

Their launch was around 13 and spin in the mid 2000s

One has to look at all the numbers and see what’s happening. 80 could be good or to could be low

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

49 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Peak height is relative to ball speed, launch, etc. It’s been a minute since I looked at lpga averages for trackman but their avg ball sped iirc with in the 140s and peak height was about 75’

Their launch was around 13 and spin in the mid 2000s

One has to look at all the numbers and see what’s happening. 80 could be good or to could be low

So you look at my numbers and immediately compare to LPGA averages... awesome 🤣.

17 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

So you look at my numbers and immediately compare to LPGA averages... awesome 🤣.

Haha. Yes and no. It’s easy to reference those numbers when comparing most amateurs numbers. 😜

3 hours ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

Check your ball position and tee height.

I can hit some high bombs in my setup but sometimes I can overdo it with a high tee and then i get toe-y. I have settled more mid/low and love it this time of year.

Actually teeing it lower, and ball is same as before, about left instep…

1 minute ago, Sluggo42 said:

Actually teeing it lower, and ball is same as before, about left instep…

Where on the face are you hitting the ball with the new driver?

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

What you describe doesn’t give a lot of details to say what’s good or bad.

Way up there doesn’t mean much, especially if someone has been hitting low bullets. Way up there could be too high from too much spin or it could be just what the golfer needs. 

Just stopping where they land could be a good thing or bad thing. Also could very based on course conditions. If the ball is ballooning as part of the way up there it’s not going to go anywhere when it lands. If it’s way up there but doesn’t have much spin it’s also not going to go anywhere because the descent angle is bad.

What is good is that you get balls that go further on carry than your old driver. A ball that stays on the air longer is going to have a chance to go farther. If carry distance is better than total distance with the new driver than that’s the better ball flight.

But in reality without seeing launch monitor numbers for both drivers on the same day can’t say which is better.

No ballooning at all, and same driver. Just a new swing. One friend calls it John Dalyish looking

I shouldn’t say no roll, but compared to old swing that was a lot of roll, it is modest. If I was guessing height, maybe 100 feet?, but no monitor numbers. But compared to all my buddies it seems like a moon shot, and it’s typically 20-30 yards longer than I used to hit.

It’s just odd for me to hit these shots, and I’m noticing iron shots are way higher too. I was always that penetrating type of trajectory, but now they just explode into the air and definitely carry more. But still remember I’m an older guy, so long bombs for me are the 260-280, not the 300+ avg that the WRX guys all average.

im not unhappy at all, and actually I like it, I was just curious if others hit towering drives, or not

27 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Where on the face are you hitting the ball with the new driver?

Same driver- mavrik 9°- hitting the ball pretty well in the dead center, but I had one today that was a good 3/4” towards the toe, but it still went a mile. Gotta love the big head drivers

6 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

No ballooning at all, and same driver. Just a new swing. One friend calls it John Dalyish looking

I shouldn’t say no roll, but compared to old swing that was a lot of roll, it is modest. If I was guessing height, maybe 100 feet?, but no monitor numbers. But compared to all my buddies it seems like a moon shot, and it’s typically 20-30 yards longer than I used to hit.

It’s just odd for me to hit these shots, and I’m noticing iron shots are way higher too. I was always that penetrating type of trajectory, but now they just explode into the air and definitely carry more. But still remember I’m an older guy, so long bombs for me are the 260-280, not the 300+ avg that the WRX guys all average.

im not unhappy at all, and actually I like it, I was just curious if others hit towering drives, or not

Well no worries then. You are just swinging better and you aren’t used to the new height of your ball. Sounds like you don’t have a problem

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

3 minutes ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

Well no worries then. You are just swinging better and you aren’t used to the new height of your ball. Sounds like you don’t have a problem

Yessir, I hope I didn’t make it sound like a problem, it’s just very different, and it made me wonder how others classify their ball flights heights… 

50 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

But compared to all my buddies it seems like a moon shot, and it’s typically 20-30 yards longer than I used to hit.

Okay, I was kind of feeling a little empathy for your "hitting drives too high" concern/issue... until I got to this part. Now my response is simply deal with it 😊.

9 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

Same driver- mavrik 9°- hitting the ball pretty well in the dead center, but I had one today that was a good 3/4” towards the toe, but it still went a mile. Gotta love the big head drivers

So sounds like the new swing is producing better contact which is producing better launch characteristics.

Low line drive type of shots are going to run out more because they are coming with a low land angle and going to be hot compared to a ball that’s coming in higher with a better lane angle. 

Too many amateurs hit the ball too low in the air and still think they hit it high.

My peak height with irons and driver is over 100’. With irons some of it comes from too much loft at impact. Driver I have decent launch characteristics and swing around 105

Don't lose sight of flex point of the shaft on ball height either. We have to remember this is how ball flight was influenced before larger heads and settings we could change.

High, mid, or low kickpoint will have an influence on ball flight, especially with all of the tuning that can be done.  I have two driver shafts I use.  Both are same flex and length but one gives a high 90-105 ballooning flight  and the other a mid-high 50-60' more boring flight with the same swing, set-up, and club head settings.

GPS111

22 minutes ago, GPS111 said:

Don't lose sight of flex point of the shaft on ball height either. We have to remember this is how ball flight was influenced before larger heads and settings we could change.

High, mid, or low kickpoint will have an influence on ball flight, especially with all of the tuning that can be done.  I have two driver shafts I use.  Both are same flex and length but one gives a high 90-105 ballooning flight  and the other a mid-high 50-60' more boring flight with the same swing, set-up, and club head settings.

Not necessarily.

if it affects how the shaft feels for a person and affects their swing then it will have an impact on flight 

13 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

My peak height with irons and driver is over 100’. With irons some of it comes from too much loft at impact. Driver I have decent launch characteristics and swing around 105

This is what I was looking for… I wish I could measure mine somehow… but it’s easily twice as high as the other guys… I like it

This is what I was looking for… I wish I could measure mine somehow… but it’s easily twice as high as the other guys… I like it

Finding a launch monitor like trackman, gcquad, flightscope is what you need if you wanted to know what’s going on. Places like pgasuperstore, 2ndswing have them and 2ndswing I believe is back to renting out bays again.

Watch a pga tour event and look at the peak height when they show it in the screen. You will find many pros on driver are over 90’ and some over 100’

Their irons are going to vary based on the shot they hit but watch that as well. I realized that I didn’t hit the ball high enough after my first pga tour event in person 

On 8/17/2022 at 6:18 PM, Sluggo42 said:

I dug out some trackman data from the Sub70 vs. Ping G410 driver testing I did and my avg height was 87'.  This was with a avg swing speed of 100mph, ball speed of 148mph and AoA of 3.1.  I can flight it lower if I want to hit a semi stinger to get a lot of run.  If I try to hit it higher than normal I can get hooky with it.  

I looked up PGA tour avg's and it is 99'.  Kevin Chappell and Cam Davis are highest at 127'.  Chappell's highest apex is 191' - whatta moon shot!!  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

On 8/18/2022 at 6:58 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Not necessarily.

if it affects how the shaft feels for a person and affects their swing then it will have an impact on flight 

I don't disagree but it can't not be considered.  Until we could adjust everything it was THE way to control flight through equipment.  Now with all of the other adjustments it is still a consideration on how you are fit for clubs and ball flight.  Explained well in this link.

https://golftips.golfweek.usatoday.com/flex-point-golf-shaft-20118.html

GPS111

14 minutes ago, GPS111 said:

I don't disagree but it can't not be considered.  Until we could adjust everything it was THE way to control flight through equipment.  Now with all of the other adjustments it is still a consideration on how you are fit for clubs and ball flight.  Explained well in this link.

https://golftips.golfweek.usatoday.com/flex-point-golf-shaft-20118.html

Actually the easiest way these days to affect flight is thru loft. Shafts affect feel and weight. That is their job.

How those two things feel to the golfer will have an impact on how they swing. Shafts themselves don’t affect launch or spin. The human factor is what causes balls to and spin based on how the club is swung

From a very experienced and respected retired fitter with tons of data over many year of fitting anyone from your average golfer to tour pros

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1860305-shafts-when-to-change-and-when-to-tweak-lofts/

I hit a 6 iron today that went about 160ish, with my p790. It had to be at least 100’ up. I mean it was crazy high. Ended up about 4” from its landing spot on the green- actually made that birdie putt. It seems they all go high, but go different distances- 

any idea if all clubs are similar in height?

20 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

Theory is that all clubs go about the same height. So your 8 iron height should be about the same as your driver height unless you are trying to do something specific.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I swing at about 107-110 with a ball speed of about 155-163 depending on contact. My attack angle is roughly +6. My driver height commonly is 120' or more. So 80' would be my "low" shot. It's all relative to how you swing and where the ball stops. Don't worry too much about how it got there. If it keeps you in play and your not loosing distance to the point that you cant' reach the green then run with it. 

As to the same heigh question, I think that is more related to the irons and I can say that all my irons 3-PW go pretty much the same heigh. I don't think woods are in that same boat as the clubs are so much different design (head shape, material, shaft material, shaft length, Teed up!, Ect.) 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi4 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White 65gr X shaft set to D-1 Hosel
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: Testing: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: BX, :taylormade-small: TP5x 

1 hour ago, Sluggo42 said:

I hit a 6 iron today that went about 160ish, with my p790. It had to be at least 100’ up. I mean it was crazy high. Ended up about 4” from its landing spot on the green- actually made that birdie putt. It seems they all go high, but go different distances- 

Theoretically yes. Tom O from Cobra golf did a shirt video on this several years back for another forum explains it all.

My ball flight is high but probably low relative to my driver loft (13 degrees). I like where it flights though.

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

To me there are two things that matter in driving: distance and consistency to stay out of trouble. If you are hitting it farther and the same or slightly better accuracy, I’d say stick with the new swing. But I’m not Hank Haney or anything… 

:cobra-small: Radspeed Driver 10.5*

:cobra-small: Radspeed 3W 14.5*

:taylormade-small: Stealth 4H 22*

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4i-PW

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 52* Mid Bounce

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 56* Mid Bounce

Kirkland Signature KS1 Putter

1 hour ago, Ben_Howell34 said:

To me there are two things that matter in driving: distance and consistency to stay out of trouble. If you are hitting it farther and the same or slightly better accuracy, I’d say stick with the new swing. But I’m not Hank Haney or anything… 

But did you stay at a holiday inn last night?

2 hours ago, vandyland said:

My ball flight is high but probably low relative to my driver loft (13 degrees). I like where it flights though.

I can see what longer drivers don’t work for your swing. But to be a 4.5 you’ve learned to make the swing work for you