Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Shaft Hack - The Otto Phlex Journey

azstu324

16 minutes ago, peakation said:

Chiming in from Norway.
Hireko also has a SW calc I have been using: 
https://www.hirekogolf.com/golf-clubfitting-assembled-swingweight-calculator

Just bought the PLB in A and L flex cheap from a local online store. Going to try them in 47 inches and removing weight from the head first.

The indoor season has started here so I have a few months tinkering with this.

Takk skal du ha

Driver: Callaway Paradym; Hzrdus Silver 50 Gram

3 Wood: Ping 410; "Otto Phlex" Project X Evenflow Riptide 

7 Wood: Callaway Epic Max 

3, 5-7 Irons: Callaway Apex 19

8-AW Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 19

Wedges: Callaway MD4 54, Callaway MD4 58 X Grind 

Putter: Evnroll ER2v; Midlock and Standard 34 inch with Gravity Gip

13 hours ago, Allen said:

GPLB Shaft 45 - Billy Bob's $49.99 last week when I got mine + $7 shipping

I've got two L flex coming from them along with some shaft weights, etc.  Thanks for reminding me  to check them out, I appreciate it.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

1 hour ago, peakation said:

Chiming in from Norway.
Hireko also has a SW calc I have been using: 
https://www.hirekogolf.com/golf-clubfitting-assembled-swingweight-calculator

Just bought the PLB in A and L flex cheap from a local online store. Going to try them in 47 inches and removing weight from the head first.

The indoor season has started here so I have a few months tinkering with this.

Where did you source the shafts if I can ask?

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

I ordered a PXG Gen 4 0811 X in a 7.5 degree with a A flex CB Riptide 40. I figure this will be my training stick to see if I can qualify for the long drive competitions next year. I'll dial it down to 6 degrees, and should be able to get my swing up to around 130 with my long drive swing once the knee is 100%. I'll post some results when the club comes in.

6 hours ago, BadgerRick said:

I ordered a PXG Gen 4 0811 X in a 7.5 degree with a A flex CB Riptide 40. I figure this will be my training stick to see if I can qualify for the long drive competitions next year. I'll dial it down to 6 degrees, and should be able to get my swing up to around 130 with my long drive swing once the knee is 100%. I'll post some results when the club comes in.

I know I'll be very interested in your results; you're so far on the other end of the continuum from me I'd need binoculars to see you...

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

Finally can give my initial update.  

I received my PXG 0211 10.5 today with Riptide CB 40 4.0 flex.  Took it out of the box and gave it a waggle.  Surprisingly it never felt whippy at all.  

I took it to the range and tried to dial it in, but unfortunately I kept losing it right (I am a right handed golfer) and normally try and play a baby draw.  No matter the adapter setting (even setting it to higher which closes the face) I was still losing it right which was a bummer.  Just felt like the head was lagging and not shutting for me.   I actually had my two best drives with it set to the -1.5* setting which I found odd.   Yesterday I happened to stop by my local shop and they had a Graphite Design Tour AD MT-6 in SR with PXG tip (I bought it thinking it was Senior flex (as they had it marked) but in doing some research it actually is a Stiff/Reg flex.   

There is a local course nearby with a decent sized fairway on their 3rd 9 holes.  The set of 9 holes was closed for aeration but they know me well and let me go on to test out the drivers.  I was still nice and warm from the range session 20 min prior.  

I used the my gamer ball (Pro V1x) and hit 3 ball with each driver, measured them, rinse and repeat 3 more times making sure to rotate the order I used the drivers in.  

Drivers Tested:

PXG 0211 10.5 Riptide CB 40 4.0 - 46" (Otto Phlex build)

PXG 0211 10.5 (lofted up 1.5*) with GD MT-6 Stiff/Reg - 45"

Ping G425 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 R (my gamer) - 45" Set to 11.5*

All balls were measured with my Garmin GPS.

Otto Phlex build - 225 yd avg | 3/9 fairways (all misses were right, with 1 Out of bounds)

Ping G425 set to 11.5 - 217.5 avg | 5/6 fairways (1 miss left)

Ping G425 set to 9.5 - 230 avg | 5/7 fairways (2 misses left)

PXG 0211 set to 12* with GD MT-6 Stiff Reg - 234 avg | 9/13 Fairways (3 misses right, 1 miss left)

No matter what I tried on the range or course I couldn't get the Riptide 4.0 dialed in.  Kept trying different adapter settings, even tried choking down and inch to 45" and it never really seemed to help.  Maybe this build is just not for me.  

The testing was not all for naught though given I did seem to figure out that I may be using too much loft on my gamer driver.

Lowering it from 11.5 to 9.5 yielded me 13 more total yards on avg.  I do have a tendency when its set to 11.5 to sometimes hit the 200 yd sky ball off the top of the head (I like to tee my ball really high). 

And then there is the Graphite Design shaft in the PXG.. I never thought with my measly swing speed of around 90 mph that I could do anything with an exotic shaft in Stiff/Reg flex and being a weight heavier than I normally play.  The shaft defintely seemed to tame the side spin without lowering my launch any.  I did have to loft up to 12* with this shaft but it never seemed to hurt my distance at all.  Ended up averaging 234 overall and was today's distance winner.  

Definitely a fun test and was nice to enjoy a nice sunny 55* in Ohio in Oct.  

OK   Indoor trackman testing with the Grafaloy Prolaunch Blue in A flex  45g  vs my gamer tensei blue 55g STIFF.

Ping g425 10.5  Both Shafts at 46" total     Ah trackman! is it the absolute holy grail?   Below is a summary of the best drives with each shaft.

GFPB A Flex Ball Speed 4-5 mph faster than my tensei  on avg.

Trackman had the ball speed at 146-147 with the GFPB    140-142 with the Tensei

latest PROv1 was ball choice.

Carry GFPB 225-230    Tensei 215-220

Swing Speed - 95-100 mph with both

Longest Drive of the day 235 carry with GFPB

Ball Flight - Face was closing at impact with the GPFB causing to severe of a draw to the left rough.

Tensei perfect draw down the center

SPIN - This one is interesting 2000-2500 on the GFPB/2500-2900 on the Tensei     

When I went to the teaching facility to do the testing a pro asked me how things were going midway through my session.  I explained that I was trying a senior flex shaft to see some improved numbers, of course he explains that he was just messing around a few hours ago with a ladies flex shaft and saw huge jumps in ball speeds.  When he came back around as I finished up I told him that the ball speed and carry were better but i couldn't keep it from flying left.  I also said that I have to much spin as well with my gamer and need some help:)  Next week Im going in to have him help with somethings and see what we can produce with a little mini fitting.

IN my session today I grabbed my 7 iron to warm up.  Mizuno Hot Metal jpx921    I hit 20 balls throughout the session with the 7iron.

I swear 14 of them stated 145 carry 157 total.    on a golf course that is my 8 iron, actually even I would say a normal stock 8 iron.   IF I say hit my 8 as hard as I can its 157ish carry - 165 total

I had one ball register with my outdoor 7 iron numbers  167 carry - 177 total,  only 1 ball of 20.

Questions:

Do I go down to 45.5 as a next step on the GFPB?  I think so

Maybe the 45.5 or 45 is the difference from it going to left.

In line with these shaft experiments, I did a little one of my own today after finishing a clubfitting session with a senior lady golfer. The driver that I had built for her following a fitting session two weeks ago is shafted with a 45 gram soft L-flex Mitsubishi Fubuki shaft (4.7* torque rating). She loved all of the other clubs that I built for her (two fairways, a hybrid, six irons and two wedges), but she was complaining that she was “getting no pop” from the 15* driver that I built to her specifications.

After we finished the session, I told her that she did not need to take the driver and that I would keep it as a demo club. I went to my car to get my golf shoes and clubs because I was going to hit a bucket of balls on the nice grass-only range with a large pond to hit over (or into). She was putting her clubs away when I walked back to the area where we were hitting on the range during her fitting session, and she asked if I would hit a few balls with the driver that I built for her. Telling her that I wasn’t properly warmed up, I said “sure, I will hit a few balls with that driver, but mine has a Tour Stiff flex shaft that is almost 25 grams heavier than yours”.  Every single ball that I hit with the driver that I built for her was very long and extremely straight—very high, too, but that’s to be expected, as I play a 9* driver, usually set to 8.25* loft. The lake/pond in the middle of the range requires a 200+ yard carry at it’s center, and the shots that I hit with her driver were carrying it by a wide margin. I was definitely not swinging all out, as I was still not warmed up, and the last two balls that I hit with it went into the woods at the far end of the range. All that she said was, “there’s clearly nothing wrong with that driver”.

This wasn’t a true AutoFlex (or Otto Phlex) experiment, as the driver was only 43.5” long, not 45.5” as AutoFlex recommends, but it did demonstrate to me that if I swing at about 80% with a driver that has an ultra lightweight shaft in it that is 3-1/2 flexes softer than what I normally play, I can hit the ball long and straight. And, BTW, there were a half dozen ball marks right in the sweet spot (1/2” above dead center) on that driver face when I finished hitting those balls.

I probably would have been embarrassed 30 minutes later if that female customer were still around and saw me fade a couple of shots with my driver (Ping G425 MAX with a 69 gram Tour Stiff shaft in it). It does require about 220-230 yards of carry to clear the pond if you fade your ball from where I was hitting (sort of like hitting over a hazard guarding the corner of a dogleg right hole), but I still would have carried that water by 20 yards with my 80% swings using her driver.

Edited by funkyjudge

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

16 minutes ago, 2puttbird said:

OK   Indoor trackman testing with the Grafaloy Prolaunch Blue in A flex  45g  vs my gamer tensei blue 55g STIFF.

Ping g425 10.5  Both Shafts at 46" total     Ah trackman! is it the absolute holy grail?   Below is a summary of the best drives with each shaft.

GFPB A Flex Ball Speed 4-5 mph faster than my tensei  on avg.

Trackman had the ball speed at 146-147 with the GFPB    140-142 with the Tensei

latest PROv1 was ball choice.

Carry GFPB 225-230    Tensei 215-220

Swing Speed - 95-100 mph with both

Longest Drive of the day 235 carry with GFPB

Ball Flight - Face was closing at impact with the GPFB causing to severe of a draw to the left rough.

Tensei perfect draw down the center

SPIN - This one is interesting 2000-2500 on the GFPB/2500-2900 on the Tensei     

When I went to the teaching facility to do the testing a pro asked me how things were going midway through my session.  I explained that I was trying a senior flex shaft to see some improved numbers, of course he explains that he was just messing around a few hours ago with a ladies flex shaft and saw huge jumps in ball speeds.  When he came back around as I finished up I told him that the ball speed and carry were better but i couldn't keep it from flying left.  I also said that I have to much spin as well with my gamer and need some help:)  Next week Im going in to have him help with somethings and see what we can produce with a little mini fitting.

IN my session today I grabbed my 7 iron to warm up.  Mizuno Hot Metal jpx921    I hit 20 balls throughout the session with the 7iron.

I swear 14 of them stated 145 carry 157 total.    on a golf course that is my 8 iron, actually even I would say a normal stock 8 iron.   IF I say hit my 8 as hard as I can its 157ish carry - 165 total

I had one ball register with my outdoor 7 iron numbers  167 carry - 177 total,  only 1 ball of 20.

Questions:

Do I go down to 45.5 as a next step on the GFPB?  I think so

Maybe the 45.5 or 45 is the difference from it going to left.

This definitely looks very promising! 

It might just be a matter of re-tuning your tempo to better match the setup. That's what I had to do and still have to remind myself not to over swing and let the feel of the club guide me rather than me trying to force the swing. 

Have you tried de-lofting and/or moving the weight to the toe? Like the PXG Gen5, I believe the ping has a flatter setting. This would also promote more of a fade-bias.. or at least help tame the hook some. For example, my miss has been a pull hook. I have my 10g weight in the toe, the loft cranked way down, AND a flatter lie setting and I've completely eliminated the pull hook. My shot now is kind of a mini push draw which looks dead straight on the course. 

IMO, if you could get the length to be super manageable at 45", keep the SW around D0-D1, you'll still have improved swing and ball speed and your efficiency might go up. Sure the extra length is supposed to help find speed, but efficiency is equally as important. With this setup, you should be able to wrangle both speed AND efficiency. That's kind of where I'm at. 

Can't wait for the next update!

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

azstu324,

thank you for starting this thread. I received an email on it and it has me captivated. I ordered the Grafaloy Prolaunch Blue in A flex at 45g last night and Shaft Tech in Jacksonville called me to ask about the shaft.  They were confused seeing a Titleist TSI4 going on a ladies' shaft. I mentioned it was a science experiment based on the Autoflex. He said they used to sell them but stopped with the price and low volume. He is very interested in hearing the results and the shaft should be here next week. 

I had shoulder replacement 5 years ago and lost about 90 yards in length. Bad habits came along and 2 golf instructors later, I am on my own and showing promise. I run the SWSGA in Arizona with ex tour players and better amateurs and am by far the shortest hitter. The short game has become very good by necessity.  I remember the very first graphite shafts that came out from Shakespeare and Aldila .... the feel I am expecting from this experiment would match the True Temper Black Gold graphite shaft from 30 years ago. Extremely long ... the ball seemed to stick to the face and then just explode. At 70, I still am looking for that feeling. Hitting it 210 and playing from 6800 yards makes for lots of Wood Wood Wedge golf. I am not moving up and seeing this thread has me excited beyond belief.  If I had not been playing today when I got the call from Shaft Tech, I would have had them make a 3 wood shaft for me for the TSI3 3 wood.  I currently play the Ventus Blue Velecore with 60S. This will be interesting.

Hello!

My first time commenting on any type of forum. I found this thread thru azstu324's comment on the "MATCH THE AUTOFLEX FOR HUNDREDS LESS" Youtube video. The day I started reading the thread, I ordered the GWX. I've been religiously following this thread, so when azstu324 said that the PLB is the way to go, I cancelled the order for the GWX and went to my local Golf Galaxy today and picked up the PLB. Got it set up at 45.5 with a midsize grip in the A flex. I have yet to hit a ball, but I'm looking forward to it! Thank you for this thread and fun project! I will definitely provide an update after some range sessions and a round at the field. 

Edited by michaelcgolf

I was all set to buy a A flex shaft but thinking I'll wait and see if my newish Mizuno MP Type 2 Driver stops improving, I was stuck around 200 metres until I started on the Mizuno and I'm upto 230 metres using a regular smoke shaft at 46inch that I grip at least a half to a inch and a half down the shaft. 

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

7 hours ago, michaelcgolf said:

Hello!

My first time commenting on any type of forum. I found this thread thru azstu324's comment on the "MATCH THE AUTOFLEX FOR HUNDREDS LESS" Youtube video. The day I started reading the thread, I ordered the GWX. I've been religiously following this thread, so when azstu324 said that the PLB is the way to go, I cancelled the order for the GWX and went to my local Golf Galaxy today and picked up the PLB. Got it set up at 45.5 with a midsize grip in the A flex. I have yet to hit a ball, but I'm looking forward to it! Thank you for this thread and fun project! I will definitely provide an update after some range sessions and a round at the field. 

Hey @michaelcgolf welcome to the fold😜

Seriously though, during my time as a MGS member my game has improved 100 times over, I've gotten to know a lot of really genuinely great people, and now I'm the "godfather" of a thread that I've become very proud of and will hopefully help bring similar results to quite a lot of folks. When I first started this post I anticipated maybe a few folks to follow along but didn't quite expect this snowball to turn up. 😬

My apologies for the mixup with the GWX shaft. I had completely forgotten to cover my tracks on that other post as this one is my baby and where I'm doing all of my updates. The GWX is still a great shaft and I still intend to find a spot for it in my bag. In fact I'm installing it into my 3 wood today. 

please keep us all posted on your results and opinions. We're all learning from each other here. 

See ya around!

cheers! 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

13 hours ago, erock9174 said:

I received my PXG 0211 10.5 today with Riptide CB 40 4.0 flex.  Took it out of the box and gave it a waggle.  Surprisingly it never felt whippy at all.  

I took it to the range and tried to dial it in, but unfortunately I kept losing it right (I am a right handed golfer) and normally try and play a baby draw.  No matter the adapter setting (even setting it to higher which closes the face) I was still losing it right which was a bummer.  Just felt like the head was lagging and not shutting for me.   I actually had my two best drives with it set to the -1.5* setting which I found odd.   Yesterday I happened to stop by my local shop and they had a Graphite Design Tour AD MT-6 in SR with PXG tip (I bought it thinking it was Senior flex (as they had it marked) but in doing some research it actually is a Stiff/Reg flex.   

There is a local course nearby with a decent sized fairway on their 3rd 9 holes.  The set of 9 holes was closed for aeration but they know me well and let me go on to test out the drivers.  I was still nice and warm from the range session 20 min prior.  

I used the my gamer ball (Pro V1x) and hit 3 ball with each driver, measured them, rinse and repeat 3 more times making sure to rotate the order I used the drivers in.  

Drivers Tested:

Otto Phlex build - 225 yd avg | 3/9 fairways (all misses were right, with 1 Out of bounds)

PXG 0211 set to 12* with GD MT-6 Stiff Reg - 234 avg | 9/13 Fairways (3 misses right, 1 miss left)

No matter what I tried on the range or course I couldn't get the Riptide 4.0 dialed in.  Kept trying different adapter settings, even tried choking down and inch to 45" and it never really seemed to help.  Maybe this build is just not for me.  

The testing was not all for naught though given I did seem to figure out that I may be using too much loft on my gamer driver.

Lowering it from 11.5 to 9.5 yielded me 13 more total yards on avg.  I do have a tendency when its set to 11.5 to sometimes hit the 200 yd sky ball off the top of the head (I like to tee my ball really high). 

And then there is the Graphite Design shaft in the PXG.. I never thought with my measly swing speed of around 90 mph that I could do anything with an exotic shaft in Stiff/Reg flex and being a weight heavier than I normally play.  The shaft defintely seemed to tame the side spin without lowering my launch any.  I did have to loft up to 12* with this shaft but it never seemed to hurt my distance at all.  Ended up averaging 234 overall and was today's distance winner.  

Man that's a bummer to hear that the Riptide didn't work out😕. Having some pretty decent results with the 5.0, I just can't say anything for the 4.0. I did quickly move on to the Garafalloy as the PX Riptide just didn't quite fit the bill for the profile that I was after. is this a 1 and done for you? Or is there any curiosity to maybe try another option? The Garafalloy PLB seems to be a pretty consistent option if you haven't completely curbed this theory. 

I'm sure you already tried this but have you moved any of the perimeter weights around? I.e. heavier heel weight? Also was the miss a right block? Or slice? Did you try more of a draw stance ( right foot slightly back) to help with a more right to left emphasis? Just throwing out ideas. Being that this is my thread I take it personally when something I recommend isn't working out for someone 😜

Overall though, how's the 0211 head compared to the G425? I'm head over heels for the 0311. First PXG product and couldn't be happier! 

Hopefully you can get everything sorted out before the close of your season for 2023 golf. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I'm seeing a lot of swing speeds in this thread in the low to mid 90's. Unless you are really old, or have some medical conditions that make it hard to swing faster, there's easy ways to increase your swing speed. I highly recommend watching Dr. Kwon's videos on Youtube. The drills have really worked for me, my playing SS was around 110 or so, and now I swing around 120, and that was with a bad left knee that I just had surgery on. I've helped a few of my friends that have slower swing speeds and shown them the Kwon drills, and they've all gained a good 10mph on their swings. The biggest flaw that I see is people swinging with tight wrists, it's all about the lag. A few months after I had open heart surgery and got the ok to start swinging gently, I took a friend that was learning the game to the range. He could only muster high 80's because he had tight wrists and was trying to kill the ball. I showed him how I could swing with my feet together, and barely swing, and still get over 90. Hope that helps some of you!

20 hours ago, erock9174 said:

Drivers Tested:

Wonder if you replace the stock weight with something lighter, or remove it all together if that will help?  I know autoflex guys seem to get better results with a lighter head.  I think the 0211 head comes stock heavier and shaft shorter for more control?

On 10/1/2022 at 7:36 PM, azstu324 said:

The same? no. Similar? I would venture to say so. Possibly better? Maybe.. From what I've gathered the tip section might actually be a little more active in the Garafalloy but the butt section a bit more stiff. I would say that it's probably closer to the Fuji Motore F3 in the videos. With an experiment like this I'd put a 75% comparable stamp on it. But I wouldn't count the 25% as a negative. Maybe different, possibly better.  

In case you missed my recent post, below is the separate weight of both the PXG 0311 and the shaft/grip/adapter. The shaft is cut so the driver plays at 45". I do have 10g weight that I swapped in for one of the 7.5g. While the G425 looks heavier, it looks like you might be able to negate the difference with the right grip or a counter weight plug or lead tape under the grip. If you wanted anything longer, you might need to look at other measures. 

Hopefully this was helpful. 

All that I can say is try it out. Before doing this, I would have turned my nose up to anything resembling a distant relative of the Autoflex. Assuming the results hold up, I'm seeing some of the most consistent drives probably ever and I've long since forgotten about my Fujikura MotoreX. From here forward it's OttoPhlex for life! 

1001221034.jpg.a02ff95e05c1e62231b1012c9f554b70.jpg

1001221034b.jpg.9479082b5189b4bb8a539b0bfeb1226e.jpg

Ping G425 and  the Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue with an 8 gram counterweight plug and golf pride align grip. All of that puts me at D8. 
According to the calculator if I replace the standard 26 gram weight with a 6 gram weight, I’ll be at D0 

6C138C07-7A79-48AE-A394-C4A8F14D09E8.jpeg

31FD8FAE-8494-4256-B932-16079237C8AF.jpeg

On 10/1/2022 at 7:36 PM, azstu324 said:

The same? no. Similar? I would venture to say so. Possibly better? Maybe.. From what I've gathered the tip section might actually be a little more active in the Garafalloy but the butt section a bit more stiff. I would say that it's probably closer to the Fuji Motore F3 in the videos. With an experiment like this I'd put a 75% comparable stamp on it. But I wouldn't count the 25% as a negative. Maybe different, possibly better.  

In case you missed my recent post, below is the separate weight of both the PXG 0311 and the shaft/grip/adapter. The shaft is cut so the driver plays at 45". I do have 10g weight that I swapped in for one of the 7.5g. While the G425 looks heavier, it looks like you might be able to negate the difference with the right grip or a counter weight plug or lead tape under the grip. If you wanted anything longer, you might need to look at other measures. 

Hopefully this was helpful. 

All that I can say is try it out. Before doing this, I would have turned my nose up to anything resembling a distant relative of the Autoflex. Assuming the results hold up, I'm seeing some of the most consistent drives probably ever and I've long since forgotten about my Fujikura MotoreX. From here forward it's OttoPhlex for life! 

1001221034.jpg.a02ff95e05c1e62231b1012c9f554b70.jpg

1001221034b.jpg.9479082b5189b4bb8a539b0bfeb1226e.jpg

Ping G425 and  the Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue with an 8 gram counterweight plug and golf pride align grip. All of that puts me at D8. 
According to the calculator if I replace the standard 26 gram weight with a 5 gram weight, I’ll be at D1 

6D40626E-C7DF-4BDA-9FFC-3E64FF40E585.jpeg

Edited by DukeStKing

25 minutes ago, DukeStKing said:

According to the calculator if I replace the standard 26 gram weight with a 6 gram weight, I’ll be at D0 

According to the calculator if I replace the standard 26 gram weight with a 5 gram weight, I’ll be at D1 

Actually cancel the last sentence- I would not be able to say a 5 gram weight will get me to d1 because the balance fulcrum will change. I feel like a mad scientist. 

Did it... Jumped in and ordered a GPLB 45/A from GolfWorks with PXG adapter, CP2 wrap grip, cut prepped and everything installed.

Arrived this morning .. took it to the range .. LOVE IT!!!

It's officially replaced the PX EvenFlow Riptide CB. Hope to game it tomorrow.

@azstu324 thx for narrating your really interesting shaft experiment journey, and for motivating me to experiment for myself!

Had actually taken my wife's driver to the range, before ordering (ok I know not 100% impulsive sorry 🤣) and I could quickly see that the lighter/ flexier thing has merit 👍

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

12 hours ago, azstu324 said:

Hey @michaelcgolf welcome to the fold😜

Seriously though, during my time as a MGS member my game has improved 100 times over, I've gotten to know a lot of really genuinely great people, and now I'm the "godfather" of a thread that I've become very proud of and will hopefully help bring similar results to quite a lot of folks. When I first started this post I anticipated maybe a few folks to follow along but didn't quite expect this snowball to turn up. 😬

My apologies for the mixup with the GWX shaft. I had completely forgotten to cover my tracks on that other post as this one is my baby and where I'm doing all of my updates. The GWX is still a great shaft and I still intend to find a spot for it in my bag. In fact I'm installing it into my 3 wood today. 

please keep us all posted on your results and opinions. We're all learning from each other here. 

See ya around!

cheers! 

anyone over 85 on this site--i need new sticks and could use some help--drives wont go past 145 any more--9 iron about 85 yards

thanks

donp

I bought a TS2 with Kuro Kage 50 g stiff earlier this year to replicate at magical fitting couple years with that driver. Usually a serious low ball hitter, was playing the G400, the True Spec guy put the TS2 with a Fubuki shaft and I was able to apex over the tree line and 20 yards further. I’m wondering if he put a much softer shaft in now. Previous shaft was NVS Orange 65 g stiff. Didn’t look at that shaft closely and it was a free fitting deal, so can’t find the settings. I’m thinking the Prolaunch blue senior flex might be best?

WITB

TS2 10.5 

M2 3HL

Mavrik Max 5W

Titleist 818 4 hybrid 

Mizuno JPX921 HMP 5-Gap

Mizuno S19 56

Maltby TSW 60

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter

9 hours ago, DukeStKing said:

Man, that head is beat up! You hitting off the turf with that?

5 hours ago, BadgerRick said:

Man, that head is beat up! You hitting off the turf with that?

Meh 

19 hours ago, Rchang said:

I bought a TS2 with Kuro Kage 50 g stiff earlier this year to replicate at magical fitting couple years with that driver. Usually a serious low ball hitter, was playing the G400, the True Spec guy put the TS2 with a Fubuki shaft and I was able to apex over the tree line and 20 yards further. I’m wondering if he put a much softer shaft in now. Previous shaft was NVS Orange 65 g stiff. Didn’t look at that shaft closely and it was a free fitting deal, so can’t find the settings. I’m thinking the Prolaunch blue senior flex might be best?

It would sure be an economical way to find out.  For some of us it's a great shaft which, unfortunately, is no guarantee for everyone else

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

It was 38 when we teed off this morning and a whopping 42 by the time we finished.

Add some damp and a bit of wind and I was glad I had five layers of clothing but was still able to swing a club, albeit somewhat like the little brother in "A Christmas Story".

The good news is that six of my drives were still 10% longer than they'd have been before going Otto.  Same was true to the 3 wood.  Next up is reshafting my 5 wood...then it's on to a hybrid for the heck of it.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

22 hours ago, par plus said:

anyone over 85 on this site--i need new sticks and could use some help--drives wont go past 145 any more--9 iron about 85 yards

thanks

donp

Hi @par plus - suggest you re-post this in the "General Q&A" topic, which is under the "Member Community" menu.

If you live near a club fitter such as a Club Champion you may want to consider visiting them to get ideas on what does or doesn't work for you.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

On 9/30/2022 at 4:45 PM, Bobbers said:

The Diamana Red Board in L flex was finished this morning.  Got it at 46 inches and dead on a D0 swing weight.

Took it to the driving range I frequent to see how it performed in relation to the Supercharged Grafalloy Pro Launch also in L flex.

Diamana was the hands down winner.  Nice high, arcing flight with just the barest hint of a draw at the height of flight. 

Distance was consistently about 10 yards further than anything I've accomplished with this driver head thus far regardless of length, flex, or swing weight.

I'm very pleased.  But, given my delight in trying things, I've got two more L flex shafts I'm going to try just to see if there's anything further I can  squeak out of this concept.

Bobbers, I have scanned the thread - just curious... did you land on the Diamana Red L flex as your "in the bag" driver?  The more I read this thread, and think about it... I believe the "magic" is in the swing weight.  It makes perfect sense to me that a heavier "head" weight would cause that over flexed shaft and face hanging open issue that some have experienced.  The D0 swing weight let's the head keep up with the more flexible shaft.  I am ready to place my shaft order for the driver shaft, then I will have my fitter put the Titleist tip on it, and then weight the butt end with the TSi3 head to be sure it comes in right at D0.  So now I just need to decide which shaft I'm going to order... The Graffaloy PLB is definitely a front runner, but you have had good success with the Diamana Red it sounds... decisions/decisions.

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

42 minutes ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

Bobbers, I have scanned the thread - just curious... did you land on the Diamana Red L flex as your "in the bag" driver?  The more I read this thread, and think about it... I believe the "magic" is in the swing weight.  It makes perfect sense to me that a heavier "head" weight would cause that over flexed shaft and face hanging open issue that some have experienced.  The D0 swing weight let's the head keep up with the more flexible shaft.  I am ready to place my shaft order for the driver shaft, then I will have my fitter put the Titleist tip on it, and then weight the butt end with the TSi3 head to be sure it comes in right at D0.  So now I just need to decide which shaft I'm going to order... The Graffaloy PLB is definitely a front runner, but you have had good success with the Diamana Red it sounds... decisions/decisions.

I've actually had better luck thus far with the Bassara "W" that Titleist used for several years.  It's got the profile of their Wyvern which was a $300 shaft once upon a time and a profile I've always had good results with.  It's been better for me than the Diamana Red.  Of the two the Bassara is better for me.

That said, the Pro Launch blues in L should be here this week so I'll get them ready and hope for some usable weather.

I'm in complete agreement on the swingweight with the lighter flex shafts even for slower swingers like me.  Too much relative head weight yields much more dispersion.  I'd hate to see what happens if someone has that violent/aggressive transition; ball might go a mile but who the heck knows in which direction it'll travel.  D0 or D1 seems to do the trick.  And a wee bit of counter weight in the shaft to get to 46 isn't going to be a noticeable issue if you need to go that direction.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

On 10/11/2022 at 4:05 PM, BMart519 said:

I've been looking for more forgiving heads compared to my F9 and won a Radspeed XB on ebay with a Riptide CB 50 Regular shaft. Works out to ~17g lighter than the Stiff ATMOS TS Blue in my F9. Will weigh the heads when I have the new driver in hand to check for differences there (1-2g of lead tape on my F9). I assume it will come with a regular grip to shave another 7-10g versus the midsize I currently use. 

Total build could be 30g lighter and will be able to swap shafts between heads with cobra tips over the winter to compare launch numbers. Not a full OttO Phlex but should still be lighter/whippier in general to see if the trend works for me. 

First range session was not encouraging. Wider dispersion with 50R shaft vs 60S. The only time I hit the fence at end of range was with the 60S atmos blue as well. Surprisingly I had more high face/crow shots with the 50R. I assumed it would kick more and lead to lower strikes on the face. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0