Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

what is the appropriate length of a putt to give?

If it is league play, and I am giving you strokes, you expect me to give you putts as well? I have learned, they have a high handicap for a reason, make them putt it. Friendly weekend round, with your usual group, it is voted on by the group. Two people must say it's good. Just playing with your friends, nothing on the line, inside the leather. 

Driver: Titleist TSi3 3W: TSR3, 5w Callaway BBti, Ping g430 Hybrid, Irons Ping i230, Taylormade MG 54, 58, Scotty Cameron Futura X5. Ball Titleist Pro v1x

I play with a regular person and during the season I notify him at the beginning of the round that I’m posting a score so I have to putt everything out. The group I play with we usually play some sort of best ball game with teams,so gummies are allowed around standard putter grip. We did have one guy who when he wasn’t playing well and out of the hole would start to lengthen the gummies to help the team score. Of course in match play any length putt can be conceded.

Depends on who we play with. Normally putter grip for the similar handicappers, putter length for the handicaps bigger than our own. Keeps it moving a bit quicker and helps play to the players level.

Ryan Gardiner 

Driver: Wilson Deep Red Maxx

Woods: 3W Cobra speedzone

Hybrid: 4H Cobra Speedzone

Irons: Cobra King F8 5-9, PW, GW

Wedges: Rife RX7 60:8 & 56:12

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro Hammer

According to various golf statistics, tour pros make a 7 foot putt around 60% of the time. Considering the best players in the world miss a 6-7 footer nearly 4 out of 10 times, I would say a typical amateur isn't inside gimme range until at least 3 feet. Stats are fun!

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST MAX LS

Hybrid: SIM 2 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno JPX 921 Tour 4-P

Wedges: Sub70 TAIII 50, 54, 60

Putter: Mizuno M.Craft Type 03 Putter

Maxfli Tour Golf Ball Review

Rapsodo MLM2Pro Launch Monitor Review

Unofficial Mizuno Type III Putter Review

For most days, about the putter length is within the circle of friendship, although that is often a sliding scale. If we're not feeling charitable that day, the circle may shrink a bit. If we're getting tournament ready, no putts given is our general rule. 

"It's only rock and roll...but I like it." - Mick Jagger

"It is not the will to win that matters-Everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." - Paul "Bear" Bryant

"If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing with all your heart." - the Buddha

What's in the bag:

Driver Taylormade Qi10 Standard, 3W Callaway RazrFit Extreme, 5W - Cobra Fly Z XL, Wilson D9 4 hybrid, Heat II Single Length Irons 5-SW, Snake Eyes 60' LW

What's on my feet: Squarz/Under Armour Charged Draw 2

Bag Boy Quad XL Push Cart w/Bag Boy CB15 bag

Where I play:  Baja Country Club - Ensenada, Baja Califorinia, Mexico/Bajamar Oceanfront Golf Resort, Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico

Gimmies should be like compliments, you look worse asking for them.  You should appreciate them when they come, but don't go begging. 

I would say distance itself is not the only determining factor, how hot is their putter, how much break is in the putt, do they generally make them?  You can't really have a fast rule. If you are just playing for fun, it doesn't really matter, keep up pace of play and preserve your relationship.  If you are playing a little more serious, like our high-stakes $1/hole skins matches! Then you have to treat it like match play and give it as if you were playing a match on a case-by-case basis. 

But as stated earlier birdie or better, no gimmies ever! Even if it's an inch

image.png.596eab9904a0e99486a09cdb92500ced.png AeroJet LS 10.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65g Stiff-Flex

image.png.dbc730be382654e44c7d2a48fa6eed67.pngJPX-850 5W 16* Fujikura Motore Tour Spec 6.3 Stiff-Flex

image.png.9454767fdf9faf9965f7cd6c94d1c24a.png 0317X Gen4 2-Hybrid 17* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75g Stiff-Flex or

image.png.2d0afd9b0ffa1e8a1d0b6c08ac8f37c7.png 0211 3-Hybrid 19* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75g Stiff-Flex

image.png.e9d9c096f6e44154c947eaa8b0bd6541.pngPro 223 4-Iron Nippon Shafts Pro Modus3 Tour 105g Stiff-Flex

image.png.3ec41f28452096d8fcdde969774ec768.pngMP-20 MMC 5-PW LA Golf Tour AXS Blue 105g Stiff-Flex

image.png.ea5de508878d729c6e26f45fb78d76fb.pngPro 223 GW 52* True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 105g Stiff-Flex

image.png.25dc4d61c6e70541d98a681e1fade611.pngMG3 56* SB12 & 60* SB10 True Temper Dynamic Gold S400W

image.png.b81b08ab505111827d8b0cdc1bb93d14.pngWorks Big T Blade 350g Super Stroke Fatso 5.0 counterbalanced grip 

image.png.8c023ed39f083a2d0f865ee72c27c8d2.pngAcross the board

No more than a putter length. The length is also depends on if it's a straight putt or if it a breaking putt, uphill or downhill. A putter is about 3 feet and there are a lot of golfers who miss those but if you want to speed the game up, 3 feet is usually pretty good.

Paradym X Driver 10.5*

Paradym X 5 & 7 woods

Paradym X 4 & 5 Hybrids

Paradym X irons 6-AW

Cleveland CBG wedges 50, 54 & 58*

Odyssey Versa Sabre tooth putter.

1 hour ago, "Mr. 72" said:

If we're gambling, anything inside the leather (about 2.5') is given.

If we're not gambling then anything goes, and guys will start knocking back putts from various lengths to the point where I might say, "I'll mark it", if I see a guy approach my ball that I think is too long for a gimme.

Quite frankly, I'm OK with any distance. I would rather give a putt than see someone miss a short putt. ...Missing short putts might be the least fun thing to do in golf.

Very generous. Seems like having money on the line is exactly when you dont want to concede short putts. Theres almost no greater pleasure than watching my buddies fold on a short putt with some money on the line. 

Couldn't care less if I'm playing with randoms, they can give themselves gimmes from the fairway for all I care. When I'm playing with friends we make each other putt absolutely everything. If it's close enough for a gimme, then they shouldn't miss it anyway

Driver - :cobra-small: King SZ 1w 7.5° w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 110MSI 60x

Woods - :cobra-small:King SZ Big Tour 3w 13.5° w/ Fujikura Pro 65, King SZ 5w 20° w/ Tensei CK White 70

Driving Iron - :cobra-small: King Utility 2i 16° w/ Project X Hzrdus Black 85

Irons - :callaway-small: Apex '24 Combo set - 4i Pro, 5i-8i CB, 9i-10i MB w/ KBS Tour V 120 X-Stiff

Wedges - :callaway-small: MD5 Jaws 52° - S 10° grind, 56° - C 8° grind, 60° - C 8° grind w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour Issue 115

Putter(s) - :odyssey-small: :callaway-small: :scotty-small: :titleist-small: :ping-small:  :nike-small: :wilson-small: O-Works 2 Ball Black, Big Bertha Warbird, Special Select Squareback 2.0, Red X2, Bullseye Original Flange SC, Bullseye Standard Flange SC, OG Bronze Anser, Method Midnight 007, R.Mendralla 8802

On 1/6/2024 at 9:36 AM, DaveP043 said:

even a really friendly match, I give anything I'm certain the player will make.  That will depend on player and break and speed and match situation.

This ^^^^^ - we often use this as the barometer.  Of course - all putts have to be for par or worse, no birdies or better give, have to be earned.  For example of a birdie misses and ends close, the par is given.  

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

2 hours ago, fozcycle said:

Seems to me that a gimmee should not be allowed if you are going to record your score in GHIN. If not recording, then 12 to 18 inches should work.

I was curious about this as I was reading this thread. In Ireland (and presumably other places, UK for sure as well) when you are recording a score for handicap purposes (which is very often in a weekly club competition) you have to finish EVERYTHING. There is no concept of a gimme. Gimme's only enter the equation if you are playing matchplay, or out for a casual round. It seems there might be different interpretations of the "world" handicap system 😆

Driver - TM Stealth

3w - TM Stealth

3h - TM Sim2

Irons - Mizuno Forged 921 (4-GW)

Wedges - Mizuno T22 (denim copper, 54 and 58)

Putter - L.A.B golf Mezz1 

Depends on how much money is involved!  😁

Seriously, I rarely ask for putts regardless of the length, but I'll give anyone one if they ask for it.  When I'm playing with the kids on the team there are no gimmes .... period.  They've all gotten very good at focusing on finishing out their putts and as a team last year our average putt number was under 3.0.  So I think making them work for it paid off.

But I don't ask for one and I'll give you anything ...... within reason.  Anything outside of two feet seems a bit long to ask for.

BigMacQue
Titleist Driver and Hybrid
Titleist T400 Irons, 5-GW
Vokey Wedges, 50 and 56
Cleveland Launcher 3 Wood and Cleveland 10.5C HB Soft Putter
Titleist Tour Soft

My group varies from guys who just "pick it up" when they're 6 feet way to one guy who will give or take NOTHING!!  We are never playing for much, so I guess it doesn't matter.   My own preference is to give 2 footers or less, but if a guy is going for a big number on a hole, I'll say "That's good, if you want it......"

Driver:  Ping G, 12*, Senior Flex

Woods:  Orlimar Trimetal +, 20* and 26*  /Taylormade 300 Series 23* 

Hybrid:  Maltby STi, 24*

Irons:  Maltby PTM, 6-PW

Wedges:  Indi SuperGap 49*  Maltby M-Series 54* and 58*

Putter:  Maltby PTM-5 mallet

Depends on the age of the player...

30 and under - putt them all

31 to 50 - within one putter grip length from the hole

51 to 70 within one putter length from the hole

71 + What's a putt?

Ping G425 driver

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G30 4 & 5 & 7 hybrids

Maltby 8 - GW  & Cleveland 52 wedge

Wilson putter 

Srixon Z-star ball

In our little group, we play skins and dots. ( dollar dots are same as skins except greenies, [MUST VALIDATE] birdies [extra dot eagles are 2 extra dots] or better within a foursome.) We have from 8 to 20 players. Gimmies are par or greater and are considered if they are within the traditional "inside the leather" (from putter head at the hole to the beginning of the putter grip on shaft)  No complaints and it sure speeds things up Bogie and better pick up. I also play in 2 leagues and we play "inside the leather" for matters of expediency.

Been golfing 63 years.  Consider myself better than average. Play 54 - 72 holes a week in season. 

Yes, playing for money or a club match, the distance may change to be a shorter distance but generally playing with my regular group, you knock the ball back to them or tell them  "Take it away or That's good". IN a money match or a club match, you judge by how good the person normally putts or if it's someone you don't know, it's how good they are putting that day.

Paradym X Driver 10.5*

Paradym X 5 & 7 woods

Paradym X 4 & 5 Hybrids

Paradym X irons 6-AW

Cleveland CBG wedges 50, 54 & 58*

Odyssey Versa Sabre tooth putter.

I have one friend who is terrible at anything inside of 4 feet so he gives all those length puts and expects that in return. If there is no money on the game I give 'em back. If he and his usual partner come to the course ready to bet, I make him putt them all out and always win the money. 

Driver :taylormade-small: Sim Max2

Hybrids :ping-small: G430 2, 3, 4

Irons :srixon-small: ZX4 6-PW

Wedges :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 50, 54, 58

Putter :odyssey-small: 2Ball Ten ArmLock

Golf cart MGI Zip Navigator

:Arccos:

I manage a large golf group here and we play for a bit of money every week and we use a modified stableford scoring system. We used to allow gimmees inside the putter grip. But then, depending on who you were playing with that week, a grip length became a bit longer and so on. Kind of like the old saying, "give them an inch, they'll take a mile". So we banned that practice since money is involved every week. So in our group, no gimmees allowed! Everything is putted out unless it's for double bogey or worse as you can't score points in stableford once your past a bogey.

Edited by MC3157

Driver: Callaway Epic Speed 9* - Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65, Stiff

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 3 Wood 14* - Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75, Stiff

Hybrids: Callaway Epic Flash #3 17* - Mitsubishi Tensei AV Silver 70, Stiff

Callaway Epic Flash #4 20* - Mitsubishi Tensei AV Silver 70, Stiff

Callaway Epic Flash #5 23* - Mitsubishi Tensei AV Silver 70, Stiff

Callaway Epic Flash #6 26* - Mitsubishi Tensei AV Silver 65, Regular

Irons: Ping G430, Red Dot, 7, 8, 9, W, 45.5*, 50*, ALTA CB BLACK, Regular

Wedges: Edison Forged - 55*, KBS PGI 80, Regular 2* Flat

Putter: Odyssey Toe Up #1, Ball: Vice Pro

Our group of 20 knows going into it that inside the leather is good, so there's no decision to be made.  ...I hear what you're saying, but we don't get the joy of some else's misery.  🙂

AKA Dark Horse

State of my game:  "Breaking 85" is the new "Breaking 80".

when I play in our league I usually let my partner decide, unless we've already lost the hole; I've seen too many 1 footers slide by. we actually won a hole and the match when we didn't give a shorty. 

I'm in the putt it all the way in the hole camp.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I tend to be generous if it is just my buddies and I on the course not playing for $$$ - something to the effect of 4-5 ft or in. In my leagues, its always putter length and people are pretty good about measuring and not assuming their putts are fine to take.

That being said, lots of research shows that 8ft is about a 50/50 split for odds to make the putt for a tour pro. I originally read that in Jon Sherman's "The Four Foundations of Golf: How to Build a Game That Lasts a Lifetime."

If you're talking gimmes as in "there's no way this putt is missed," even a scratch golfer is ~80% from 4 ft. At each level of golfer, I'd imagine each extra foot going in might give you around ~10% increased odds? Just a guess. Take that how you will. 

Another good source: https://www.tomfieldinggolf.net/putting-probabilities.html

D : Cobra LTDx Max

FW : Stealth 3 Fairway + Big Bertha #7 Hybrid (lol, I know)

Irons : Too Old (Cobra AMP Cell 4-GW)

Wedges : Need Some Recs! Cobra AMP Cell GW Wilson Harmonized 56

Putter : Huntington Beach Soft 11

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Read my 2023 Titleist White Box Review!

My generosity depends on the event and the group I'm playing with. I often go out as a single so I'm playing with people I don't know. I never say anything until I get a feel for their game and what they want to get out of the round. Some play serious, so I don't give them anything. Others play very casually and I want them to enjoy themselves so I'll give them anything inside my 39" armlock putter length. 

I also have a group of higher handicapers (that don't actually keep a handicap) and the general rule of the group is par or better gets putted no matter what. Bogey is gimme under 2 ft. Double is under 4 ft. and anything higher is get off this hole as fast as possible. 😆 

Edited by jbern

WITB (link to detailed post here):

Driver:  Cobragolflogo.png.602fb363b272aeca0ae57ab591da02de.png LTDx 9* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_15px.png.86858562876473681822bdce0336ecd4.png 3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png 5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter:  Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png AL-6 armlock | Unofficial review here

Ball:   Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_15px.png.137df4bf59bf3628d99abc6ca08fd43f.png Tour S

Pushcart:  clicgear_logo.png.5569d627daa35e79384784c8a4e886f4.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here