Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Use a Glove or not?

Over the past 44 years of playing golf I've tried to use a glove numerous times, but found that for me I lost some feel during the downswing and seemed as though I wasn't connected to the club. I know that for a lot of golfers a glove is a staple in their swing, but does it really help when the rough grabs the clubhead and twists it anyway it wants. 

MGS Nation, What are your thoughts about using a glove compared to not using a glove?

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

[email protected]

I always use a glove in the spring and summer and during the fall and winter I often go without.  During the heat of the summer I will generally switch to a rain glove.     When I wear a glove it is generally used for full swing,  50/50 for partial wedges around the green, and never when putting.   

I find that the glove gives me better connection to the club and in no way impacts my feel.  I don't thing it does much to reduce twisting when the club hits deep rough but do believe that a properly fitted glove does create a better grip and reduces twisting on off center strikes.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Any time im taking a full swing shot I will wear a glove.  Around the greens and putting I generally do not as I think it gives me a touch more "feel".  That could purely be a placebo though as I still struggle regardless from the fringe 

:taylormade-small:Super Burner 2.0 10.5*

:cobra-small: Fly-Z hybrid

:edel-golf-1: SMS 4-GW

:ping-small: i3 5 Wood

:titleist-small:SM7 56*,60*, SM8 52*

:odyssey-small: Versa 1 putter

2023 Tested: Edel SMS Irons

I haven't used a glove during a normal round since the 90s. I figured if Fred Couples could do it ... I didn't see any difference in performance with a glove vs. not wearing one. It may be because I've always played full cord grips, but I don't have any trouble with my grip without a glove. On top of having great feel with all my clubs, it saves money and I don't have to deal with the glove on/off/on thing.

I do have rain gloves for wet weather, but I rarely play in the rain. I also have a pair of regular gloves to wear in winter if it's real cold to start the round.

:cobra-small: Aerojet LS 9° / Brava BGT SE F/4
:taylormade-small: Stealth FW 5 / TPT 16 MK/MT/SW
:taylormade-small: M3 3/19° Rescue / Fujikura Ventus Red 7-S
:ping-small: iCrossover 4 / :accra: Fx200H M4
:srixon-small: Srixon ZX7 (5-AW) - :Nippon: ProModus3 Tour 120
:mizuno-small:  T20 56° & 60°/ :Nippon: ProModus3 Tour 125 Wedge
Royal GRIP V Sand Wrap
L.A.B. MEZZ.1 / L.A.B. :accra:
:bridgestone-small: Tour BX

23 hours ago, buckpillar said:

Over the past 44 years of playing golf I've tried to use a glove numerous times, but found that for me I lost some feel during the downswing and seemed as though I wasn't connected to the club. I know that for a lot of golfers a glove is a staple in their swing, but does it really help when the rough grabs the clubhead and twists it anyway it wants. 

MGS Nation, What are your thoughts about using a glove compared to not using a glove?

I use a glove, in really cold weather or rain I use two gloves.  Helps my grip and, perhaps more importantly, eliminates my finger prints at such time as my golf bag, along with scorecard, are designated as a crime scene...

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

I'll echo a phrase @cnosilused: "properly fitted glove." When I was able to talk with the Red Rooster guys for the Sussex and Range Rooster glove test, their clear judgment was that most golfers use a glove that is too large. A golf glove should, especially out of the package, be quite tight; it should make the Velcro work a bit. I suspect that at least some of the "twisting" effect of wearing a glove would be minimized if the glove were properly tight.

As for my own practice: I wear a glove for all full swings. That means my glove comes off for everything inside 100 yards. I don't think it's necessary, but for me, it's part of the ritual/custom that indicates to my brain that I'm in partial wedge mode.

I cannot putt with a glove on. I mean, I can, but I hate it. My grip feels a certain way, and with a glove on, it doesn't feel that way any more.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Count me in the group that does not wear a glove.  I can't tell you all how many times I tried to wear one.  However, they felt a little restrictive on my hand, so I've been without a glove for about 30 years.  

For the last 17 years I've been living in Key West.  Even with the hot and humid weather, I've never had an issue with the club slipping in my hands due to the conditions.  

Once I realized I could do without a glove, it was like a smoker who gives up cigarettes in that I didn't have to pump money into to a habit and had new found resources for other golf purchases.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

I started using a glove due to the clubs i had at the time the grip was too skinny for my large hands and it helped with reducing the twist. Over time and as i got new clubs with the right sized grips ive just kept using one cause it felt comfortable. My hands always get a little sweaty as i go through a round so the glove for me have always been how i play. I have been very specific and its hard for me to try a new type cause ive had good and bad experiences with them. Example of ive had 2 different styles of nike gloves the first i hated and i didn't even last a full round before i threw it away ad the other ive had for a few months and love it.

Been playing for about 2 years in total. Winter breaks and a 6month period when I got sick. Starting to feel like myself again and recently played a “okay” round. 
I currently have custom fit Cobra LTDx irons/wedges, a Vokey 60(cause my short game has been the best part of my game, and a Maverick 9 deg. Driver. Driving is the worst part of my game so My 4 iron usually takes alot of the long game abuse. 

Started with gloves, but over the past few months I’ve started playing without. 

Gloves definitely improve my grip at first, but I find them inconvenient and annoying throughout a round. My gloves tend to get saturated pretty quick (even when it’s not hot) so I’m constantly on/off or rotating gloves. Just gets tiresome after awhile, and I seem to tear through gloves. Have found no glove and keeping a towel handy is much smoother.

No glove also seems to help slow down my hands in the backswing, when they get fast I hook the ball.

Edited by BallsLeon
  • Driver : :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS, 10.5° loft, MCA TENSEI AV White 65g, Stiff flex (44.5", Draw setting)
  • 3-Wood: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
  • 3-Utility: :Sub70: 699 Pro V2 Utility Satin, 18° loft, :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80g, 5.5 flex
  • Irons: :titleist-small: T200 6i-GW, 27°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.25”, 1° upright)
  • Wedges:  Indi FLX S-Grind, 52°/56°/60° lofts, Dynamic Gold Spinner 115g, Wedge flex
  • Putter:cobra-small: King Vintage Sport 60, SteelFiber P125 shaft (34"), :garsen: Quad Tour Taper grip
  • Bag: :cobra-small: Ultralight Pro, Ski Patrol/Black
  • Push Cart: :BagBoy: Nitron, Black/Red
  • Rangefinder: Bushnell Tour V5 Shift

2023 MGS Forum Review: Sugar Golf Balls (Final Review Posted)
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sycamore 009 Mini Putter (Final Review Posted)
2024 Unofficial Review: The "Putting Thing" by WhyGolf

-TJ

I wear a glove till I get around the green. For shots 50 yards and in I take it off. No real reason for it. I have never putted with a glove on. 

WITB

Cobra F9 9° Speedback Driver

Callaway Apex UW 17° & 19°

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 21° Hybrid

Callaway Paradym 5-Pw Irons

Cleveland RTX4 52° & 56° Wedges

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback Putter

Wearing a glove in golf is common, as it provides better grip and control, especially in hot or humid conditions where hands may get sweaty. However, some golfers prefer not to use a glove, finding it more comfortable or simply a matter of personal preference. Ultimately, it's up to you to decide what feels best for your game. It took me awhile to get used to, now it feels wrong without. 

Edited by OUknow1

If it was easy everybody would it.

I am a non-glove person.  I would wear one in college on occasion if it was hot/humid until I got a tip from a guy I was playing with.  Wet a towel, then before you hit, wipe your grip.  By the time you go to hit your hands and the grip are dry.  Works every time.  Now I do not need a glove at all.  I still have several in my closet from college, we got one for every tournament.

Matt Dura

Francis Marion University Hall of Fame 2018

default_titelist-small.jpg.035c687f1ee4f222f65826e0f2ccf716.jpg TS4 9.5*, HZRDUS Smoke 60g Low spin driver; PRO V1X

default_taylormade-small.jpg.e5271abefda63fc90c515812858df654.jpg M3 17*HL turned down to 15*, Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Series 65 Stiff

Ben Hogan 17* & 21* EDGE CFT Hybrids

default_ping-small.jpg.4f6644e7b181538ad4356fa5baa9ab06.jpg i200 blue dot, KBS Tour 120 S 4i-PW; Glide 58*/10

default_cleveland-small.jpg.c369c88345deb6bf5d6da562e36c46e9.jpg 50* RTX 588; 54* CG10

LeanLockLogo.jpg.79bf29d6bf78b2208e2a58de63e92193.jpg.c85827f16c4e90eabef5b35daa9e8b47.jpg APA Model 1

ODIN.jpg.36f5f3d3738de8051e6e80e0aec7b2d2.jpg X1

I wear glove and ever since I tried the Kirkland brand that's all I buy. The XL fits me like a second skin nice and tight, and they last a long time and don't stretch out. For the price you can't beat them. I wear a glove for all shots even putting. 

Frank musolino 

I don't pay a lot of attention to it. Ideally, I like to have one for the driver when playing. Otherwise, I'll play without one. But I'm also guilty of just wearing it the whole time. I got out of wearing one because I'm a bit of a range rat and always hit balls, so I was just tearing gloves up on the range. 

"The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight" - Ben Hogan

I have played a few rounds without a glove and played well. Here is a great read about using a glove versus not using a glove: mygolfspy.com/labs/glove-versus-no-glove/

I like using a glove because I feel my lead hand better comes through the ball. 

I think it is about feel for the individual. 

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST R Flex

3 Wood: TaylorMade Razr

Hybrids: Callaway Rogue Max 3 - 5

Irons: TaylorMade M5

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 4 52, 54/Titleist Vokey M6 56

Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7

R.jpg

I truly swing it faster with a glove on.  But thats a good enough reason for me to use a glove. 

WITB

I’m a glove wearer for full shots as well. Huge fan of Bender gloves with their various styles. I use the full leather elite when it is chilly outside and the mesh backed gloves during the hotter days, the palm tree design is my goto. I also remove my glove between shots to help minimize it getting super sweaty. With or without a glove, is all about feel and comfort for that shot. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° & 58° w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

I always wear a glove, always. I never take it off to chip or putt. That being said, if it is really hot and I start sweating through my glove, I will swap it out and put another one on and let the one dry. I never even notice I have it on. This only happens in summer when it is hot and humid occasionally, I don't sweat a lot usually unless they have watered the crap out of the course and it is really humid first thing in the morning.

Kirkland gloves 4 for like $23 works for me. I also use rain gloves on the occasion I play in the rain unless my hands start getting cold. 

Edited by hoppman

I always use a glove unless I'm chipping or putting and I use the same make and style of glove all the time. The game requires feel, consistency is vital so I don't mix that up, Same goes for my shoes, I want them to always feel and react the same way, I want to be the same height every time I play and practice. This may not make much of a difference but I eliminated those factors form effecting my ball striking anyway.   

Driver Ai Smoke Max 9* set at 8*

3 FW Ai Smoke

HW Ai Smoke

Hybrid G430

Irons Callaway Apex 21 Forged CB

Putter Ping Answer 2 PLD

Wedges Titleist Vokey SM9 56M and 60S

Ball, Vice Pro-Plus 

Handicap 6 

I use a glove till I'm close to the green (80 yards or less) , never use it while putting and also chip shots. Funny enough, when I do wear my glove with chip shots, I get the shanks...most probably just a mind thing. 

Driver:callaway-small: Rogue ST MAX LS Driver

3 Hybrid:callaway-small:APEX'21 3H

5 Wood : :callaway-small:Rogue ST MAX LS

Irons:callaway-small: APEX'21  5-PW Irons

Wedges:callaway-small: JAWS 56 

Putter :  :odyssey-small:2-ball 

Balls:callaway-small:Callaway Chrome Soft OR :srixon-small: Marathon (depending on course and weather)

Shoes : :footjoy-small: Fuel 

I don’t wear a glove, except when hitting a lot of balls in my hitting bay.  Yes, I have callouses.  Weather here is dry, so humidity is not an issue and I rarely play in rain.  However, I do have gloves in my bag for the rare occasion of hot and humid locations.  Since I’m playing in the MGS Forum outing at Kingsmill in Virginia end of May/first of June, I think I will begin playing with gloves to prepare for the worst.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

No gloves for me! My buddies always give me crap for it but I feel like it takes some of my feel away. I see it as adding another variable between you and the club. Sometimes that glove can get mushy and sweaty and you have to trust it wont slide but definitely can. Then there is a whole financial reasoning too it lol. The amount of money I have saved on gloves has probably covered the cost of a few clubs. I played 85 rounds last year so having a glove last as long as 5 -10 rounds could cost me up to 150-250 dollars. It's surely up to the individual though, if you like the feel without then play your game! Fred Couples doesnt wear a glove so neither do I!

Driver:   Srixon ZX7 w/GD Tour VR X 60g w/ Midsize ZCord

5W: TM Rocketballz RBZ with kai'li White X 60g w/ White VTC Cords

3-6 : PING iBlades DG X100 w/ White VTC Cords

7-PW: PING Blueprints DG X100 w/ White VTC Cords 

Wedges: TM MG3 52, 56, 58 DG S300 w/ White VTC Cords

Putter: Scotty Cameron Del-Mar 35" w/ Dancing Scotty Golf Pride Grip

On 3/18/2024 at 10:44 AM, BallsLeon said:

Started with gloves, but over the past few months I’ve started playing without. 

Gloves definitely improve my grip at first, but I find them inconvenient and annoying throughout a round. My gloves tend to get saturated pretty quick (even when it’s not hot) so I’m constantly on/off or rotating gloves. Just gets tiresome after awhile, and I seem to tear through gloves. Have found no glove and keeping a towel handy is much smoother.

No glove also seems to help slow down my hands in the backswing, when they get fast I hook the ball.

Well... I launched my 3 wood into my net this morning so maybe my no gloves experiment is over 😂 or at least for my woods.

• Driver : :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS, 10.5° loft, MCA TENSEI AV White 65g, Stiff flex (44.5", Draw setting)
  • 3-Wood: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
  • 3-Utility: :Sub70: 699 Pro V2 Utility Satin, 18° loft, :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80g, 5.5 flex
  • Irons: :titleist-small: T200 6i-GW, 27°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.25”, 1° upright)
  • Wedges:  Indi FLX S-Grind, 52°/56°/60° lofts, Dynamic Gold Spinner 115g, Wedge flex
  • Putter:cobra-small: King Vintage Sport 60, SteelFiber P125 shaft (34"), :garsen: Quad Tour Taper grip
  • Bag: :cobra-small: Ultralight Pro, Ski Patrol/Black
  • Push Cart: :BagBoy: Nitron, Black/Red
  • Rangefinder: Bushnell Tour V5 Shift

2023 MGS Forum Review: Sugar Golf Balls (Final Review Posted)
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sycamore 009 Mini Putter (Final Review Posted)
2024 Unofficial Review: The "Putting Thing" by WhyGolf

-TJ

Always glove except putting. The Star Grips I just got are extremely tacky so I’ll be trying them without gloves but it’ll be hard for me to make the switch 

Driver: PXG Black Ops, Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairways: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 3 and 5 wood, Project X Riptide CB 6.0

Hybrid: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 22 degree, Project X Riptide 6.0

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 5 5-PW, Project X LS 6.5

Wedges: PXG SG2 50, 56(55), Modus 125 Wedge; PXG SG 2 60, KBS 130 Wedge  

Putter: TaylorMade Spider GT Red SB

Ball: Maxfli Tour S

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

no glove here.  no galleries so I have no need to sign one and give it away

Z565 or Launcher Lite :: M6 3&5 woods :: Srixon hybrids :: Cleveland 588 TT irons :: CBX wedges :: midsize grips w/no glove

I'm a glove user and it's primarily due to help with the callouses on my hand.  Unfortunately, I go through gloves so quickly that it's becoming more expensive than purchasing balls.  The gloves I've been using rips in the bottom right of my palm and I believe that's due to always toe-ing my shot.  

I also feel putting on and taking off my glove has just become routine when I play.  Put on glove, line up ball, practice swing, hit, admire the slice, put club away, contemplate life, take off glove, walk to next fairway over, and repeat.

No glove for putting though.

- Vaughn

Currently Driving-

• Driver/3 Wood/4 Hybrid: Cobra Aerojet
  • Irons: Takomo 101
  • Wedges: Takomo Skyforgers
  • Putter: Sub 70 005
  • Bag: Sunday El Camino
  • Ball: Maxfli Tour X