How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

19 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

Nice round!  The ZX7s are so good!

‐---‐------------

I played this afternoon and had to basically call it after 12. Shoulder started getting tight and I'm not about to push it. Ended up just chipping and putting the rest of the round. 

They are kind of absurd -- especially paired (for me) with the C-taper lites.   It's crazy how accurate and consistent they are.  Never had a set of irons that I could dial up a yardage with in almost every swing.   If I find better consistency with the 4&5 iron it's going to get crazy.

Rest that shoulder up, I dung mine up a while ago and according to a doc there's a minor tear that isn't worth surgery, but is definitely worth resting when it hurts if I want to avoid surgery.  Hope it heals up soon!

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Ventus Velocore+ Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&3 -- Tensei CK Orange

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 56/10º@55º  58º/10  C-Taper Lite 110

Putter

Test.png Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

15 minutes ago, Syks7 said:

They are kind of absurd -- especially paired (for me) with the C-taper lites.   It's crazy how accurate and consistent they are.  Never had a set of irons that I could dial up a yardage with in almost every swing.   If I find better consistency with the 4&5 iron it's going to get crazy.

Rest that shoulder up, I dung mine up a while ago and according to a doc there's a minor tear that isn't worth surgery, but is definitely worth resting when it hurts if I want to avoid surgery.  Hope it heals up soon!

I have the zx5s for the long irons. Slight gap difference but not by much and they launch. 

Titleist GT3 11* Tensei 1k blue

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

Vokey SM9 Wedges 50* 54* 58*

DF2.1 Putter

22 hours ago, Syks7 said:

I'm still riding a wave.  🤷‍♂️  Played my best 9 holes at this little exec course in the mountains.  +1 31.   Three bogeys on the day... All technically from three putts.  One real three putt and two poor Texas wedges.  Two birdies again to bring it back... There's three short tight driveable par 4s on this course and I went for all three.   Chip and a putt for the first two and a longer chip for a two putt on the third.  It's was as close to definitive proof of strokes gained as I've ever had.   Closer to the hole = less strokes

I've been tracking stats all year and while I'm not one to say you're going to play better because of new clubs I have to acknowledge that the right clubs can make a massive difference, especially when it coincides with your swing coming together. Since picking up the ZX7s and spending a couple hours in the sim getting my driver dialed here are the statistics.

Pre ZX7

18- hole rounds = 17.39 ( I've tracked every hole I've played that hasn't been practice.)

Scoring Average:  +11.16 (per 18 holes)

Birdies: .69. (per 18 holes)

Pars:  7.07 (per 18 holes)

Bogeys: 8.57 (per 18 holes)

Bogey+: 1.61 (double and beyond)

With ZX7

18 hole rounds:  11.33 

Scoring average:  +8.47 (per 18 holes)

Birdies:  1.41 (per 18 holes)

Pars:  8.29 (per 18 holes)

Bogeys: 6.53 (per 18 holes)

Bogey+:  1.41 (per 18 holes)

It's a pretty big jump, and even more pronounced over the last 6 rounds.  Fairways and putts per round have stayed relatively close, but there's been a 1-2 GIR jump in that time period.   I'm not putting it all on the clubs, but I feel like they arrived at a perfect time when my swing was coming into a very repeatable spot.   Ive been enjoying the hell out of it because I quite literally have have no datum on what is and isn't a good day anymore -- The 11-12  index my brain still thinks I am is only having good days right now.  😀

Congrats on the round!! I'm on a wave myself but it's in a sh*t creek and my paddle was taken by a gator🤷..just a long for the smelly ride for now

22 hours ago, Syks7 said:

I'm still riding a wave.  🤷‍♂️  Played my best 9 holes at this little exec course in the mountains.  +1 31.   Three bogeys on the day... All technically from three putts.  One real three putt and two poor Texas wedges.  Two birdies again to bring it back... There's three short tight driveable par 4s on this course and I went for all three.   Chip and a putt for the first two and a longer chip for a two putt on the third.  It's was as close to definitive proof of strokes gained as I've ever had.   Closer to the hole = less strokes

I've been tracking stats all year and while I'm not one to say you're going to play better because of new clubs I have to acknowledge that the right clubs can make a massive difference, especially when it coincides with your swing coming together. Since picking up the ZX7s and spending a couple hours in the sim getting my driver dialed here are the statistics.

Pre ZX7

18- hole rounds = 17.39 ( I've tracked every hole I've played that hasn't been practice.)

Scoring Average:  +11.16 (per 18 holes)

Birdies: .69. (per 18 holes)

Pars:  7.07 (per 18 holes)

Bogeys: 8.57 (per 18 holes)

Bogey+: 1.61 (double and beyond)

With ZX7

18 hole rounds:  11.33 

Scoring average:  +8.47 (per 18 holes)

Birdies:  1.41 (per 18 holes)

Pars:  8.29 (per 18 holes)

Bogeys: 6.53 (per 18 holes)

Bogey+:  1.41 (per 18 holes)

It's a pretty big jump, and even more pronounced over the last 6 rounds.  Fairways and putts per round have stayed relatively close, but there's been a 1-2 GIR jump in that time period.   I'm not putting it all on the clubs, but I feel like they arrived at a perfect time when my swing was coming into a very repeatable spot.   Ive been enjoying the hell out of it because I quite literally have have no datum on what is and isn't a good day anymore -- The 11-12  index my brain still thinks I am is only having good days right now.  😀

Congrats on the round!! I'm on a wave myself but it's in a sh*t creek and my paddle was taken by a gator🤷..just a long for the smelly ride for now

:PXG:Bubba Ivy 

Snuck out for 9 while there was a gap on the course, or so I thought. Played the back 9 as usual, started off bogey, birdie, bogey, then par'd out from there for a +1. The Course got really bottlenecked from a couple groups. There was a single playing from the tips, his setup was about as slow as Brian Harmon. Not to mention he would mishit, then tee up another even though there were two groups waiting! That's the stuff that irritates me. Good ole holiday golf.

Off work this week, but busy until friday...have an early tee time at the course hosting the Louisville mens metro tourney in June. Gonna play it and see if it's worth entering the comp. I haven't played competitive golf in 20+ years and I miss it. My hcp is hovering at +0.2 right now and I feel good enough about my game to try and compete maybe.

Scott J

PXG Driver, AP2 irons, Cleveland wedges and Odyssey white ice 2.0

Today I had the privilege of playing a course in the northwest suburbs of Chicago called Stonewall Orchard Golf Club. This is a course that has been on my radar a lot as I've heard it's one of the best public courses in the Chicago area. It is an Arthur Hills design and I was very impressed overall with the quality of this course.

I ended up playing as a solo, as most of my friends had plans for Memorial Day. I was paired with a father/son duo who rode together as I rode alone, which I didn't mind. They were great company and solid players in their own right.

I ended up shooting an 87 (47-40) in what I will call "A Tale of Two Nines." The front nine I just couldn't seem to get my game going. I actually started with a par on the first, but everything was going right and I just wasn't feeling super comfortable over the ball. Ended up with three doubles on the front. 

The back started off great. I made great use of my 2-iron today as many of the holes didn't require driver. I was actually even on the back through 14 until I couldn't find a green in regulation and finished with four straight bogeys.

All in all, I am not too disappointed with how I scored. The course is definitely challenging and you need to know where to miss in order to score low. In addition, the wind was howling towards the end of the round and I was needing to club up twice just to have a chance of being pin high. Also, even with all the rain the course got yesterday, the greens were lightning fast. 

That being said, I can definitively say that Stonewall Orchard is going on my short list of best public courses in Chicago. The conditions were great, the layout was challenging, yet fun, and I never felt like two holes were the same. I will definitely be recommending this course to friends and hope to play it again sometime soon!

Until next round!

Current WITB:

Bag: image_2024-02-27_104948566.png.b92168231016d467eb3d016dba2075b9.png MV2 Golf Bag

Driver:  image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png TSR2 9.0º,Fujikura-Smiths-golf-logo-effect(1)(1).png.6f8993e93c81265138ae9592b03a5dd9.pngVentus Blue Velocore 6S

Fairway: image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png TSR2 3 wood 15º,Fujikura-Smiths-golf-logo-effect(1)(1).png.6f8993e93c81265138ae9592b03a5dd9.pngVentus Red Velocore 7S

Driving Iron: image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png U505 2-iron, Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85S 

Irons: default_taylormade-small.jpg.e3cc5559919d7bec2abdbe999c30614b.jpg P7CB (4-PW), Nippon Modus Tour 120S (testing in progress)

Wedges: TM23WDG-MG4-Stacked-Color-OnLight-v1-1024x410.png.ac724a75349db558663486b0cf600638.png 50.09 SB, 54.11 SB, 58.11 SB

Putter: default_odyssey-small.jpg.a7dc06ee6fc9b8df09953a46df717684.jpg Ai-ONE Jailbird Mini DB 35"

Ball:  Maxfli_new(1).png.543c09044d6b6e8a80c748512567d803.png Tour X

Played 18 yesterday, walking with franken-cart,  shot a 41/47. By the back 9, (on the 4th/13th  hole) I was wiped physically and it all fell apart until the last hole. I somehow lost a ball in the wide open fairway too.  Had 6! 3 putts 5 were on the back stretch.  Final hole I was in autopilot mode, exhausted and don't even remember how/what I did when I drove off the tee, but I ended up 249 yards down the fairway and it was perhaps my best drive of the day. Only 3 birdies for the day too. I attribute some of the poor play to heat and physical extremes (very very hilly course) some I can say is due to adjusting to the clubs, I over shot the green a number of times. And some I can say was just me, we'll, being me!

I think I'll save walking for the flatter courses and winter months! Definitely not walking this pair again!!!  Video for those interested will be up on the Stix testing page soon

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

I keep track of stats during my round on paper and then enter into a spreadsheet later.

From the scramble last Friday was really only looking at fairways hit and greens hit…I knew the driver was off, but it really hit home today when I put the numbers in.  1 fairway hit (out of 14)…I would probably hit some different clubs playing my own ball from the tee, but 1 fairway!

Not good…

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Sim Ti 3 wood

Titleist U505 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons (4-PW)

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

I got out Saturday afternoon with a friend at a pretty tough muni that was designed by the same person who originally designed the Firestone South Course. I started out beautifully - 5 straight pars and finished the front with 4 bogies. It all sounds great and I was happy with a 39, but I also felt like I was on the edge of disaster. I wasn't driving the ball very well but was getting away with it and scrambling like a madman. It all fell apart on the back. Driver was no longer "serviceable misses", it became "all over the planet". I ended up shotting a cool 47 on the back for a +15, 86. I am usually happy with anything in the mid 80's at this place, but it was kind of a disappointing way to do it.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
7W: :callaway-small:Epic Flash 19* TourAD (can't remember the exact model)
4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 23* Recoil 780ES
5-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
54*, 58*: :Sub70: TAIII Black
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Most Recent TestFit For Golf 2.0

On 5/26/2024 at 4:22 PM, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

Nice shooting. Curious if you have your old set still and how you would score now? Would be interesting that irons would be that beneficial. 

I think it's more sole thickness and shaft weight.  I'd been at the mid weight stiff iron shafts (115g-120g) for a while based on a fitting from while back.  After a fitting this year it was suggested that I'd probably benefit from moving down to the 105-110g shafts and the club heads I got along with were all much narrower soles.  My guess is that with my heavier contact tendencies the narrower sole and lighter shaft help me get through the turf better with less clubhead speed loss into impact.  🤷‍♂️

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Ventus Velocore+ Blue

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

Putter

Test.png Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

Played nine with a buddy today. lost my pencil for my scorecard so went off of memory and shotscope. 49. Had a chip in birdie which was pretty cool. Tried the driver in a new position today with COG and weight and was a disaster. on 9 after losing a ball i set things back to neutral and then hit a 281 yard bomb. Silly game. I guess my woes on saturday were more due to nerves than anything else. Will see how things go going forward.

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :kbs: TD Cat 4 60g 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with :kbs: PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with:kbs: Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter::L.A.B.:Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  :Snell: Prime 4.0

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

Glove: :redrooster:

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

If anyone is interested in watching me play, I put up a very cut up 9 hole video blurb on the Stix testing thread from yesterday's round.

37 minutes ago, Gusset said:

Played Tri Mountain (Ridgefield, WA) yesterday, 43/39 for a total of 82, which I'm pretty happy with. Felt like I was playing the course all day, as opposed to the opposite, even with the usual 1-2 club afternoon wind. Iron striking was good on 90% of shots, driver was good contact and in play all day except for one that push-faded into a bunker (doubled that one), and though I mis-read too many long putts, many of the 4-8 footers were dropping.

Only one hole had me disappointed in myself...#6, short par 3. GIR, but about 45' from home. Putt was mostly downhill to a pin about 8 feet from the edge. I missed the "downhill" part, and it went off the green and about a foot into the rough. Instead of walking back to the bag for a wedge, I putted from the rough. Mistake. Walked off with a 5.

Round highlight: for once the ball listened to me ("Go in!!!"). Third shot on the par 5 13th, 139 yards out from the left rough, found the bottom of the cup for my first ever eagle. YES!!! Good contact, good flight, landed about 8 feet short. Making it even cooler was the surprise of actually hearing it hit the pin, removing any doubt.

Good day on the course.

Congratulations on the eagle!!!

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

1 hour ago, Dan Underwood said:

Did not play the greatest yesterday the course was loaded with people that didn't play fast at all and would not allow people to play through.  I got a little frustrated and it showed in my ball striking.  But on the bright side their slow play allowed me to try shots that normally I wouldn't try along with different putter grips.  Tried left hand low, claw, over wrap right over left and left over right, I actually found a new putting style that allowed me to hole more putts.  Something that I have been struggling to do for years

lemon.jpg.ce5382fd15fb1f386aee2f4056b30f87.jpg

Driver - Stix Compete
5W - :callaway-small: Big Bertha
7W - :ping-small: G5
5H - :callaway-small:Edge 
6H, 5-GW - :ping-small: G15
56 - Kirkland Signature 
Putter - :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3

21 hours ago, Bubba1985 said:

It will get better.  I'm sure when the shoe drops on this wave I'm on it'll be beyond frustrating.  It wouldn't be Golf if it didn't tease us with brilliance then slam the door on our fingers for taking too close a look.  😆

Driver

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

Putter

Test.png Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

Despite the wet conditions and cool temps our league ventured out this morning. The first 4 holes were a tad bit cumbersome trying to shake the dew off. Rained a few hours last night so everything was a bit slow. As long as I could keep my shots lower they managed a bit of a run. Shot better than last week by 5 strokes. I had some decent shots once I got warmed up. Hoping to take the grandson out after school tomorrow for 9.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

4 hours ago, V3rtigo said:

I can see how this can be come addicting, I am already setting up my next tee time! 😅

@V3rtigo, glad to see and hear that the "bug" has been biting a bit. No matter what, have fun. Score ain't but a number. Good job and enjoy.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

Out on the course with a bit of regularity, it's clear I've made some improvements. I've been able to take about 18 strokes off my score from last season. I'm still having some blow-up holes, and I'm making some easy mistakes with my short game, but I think I'm getting there.

WITB 2024

DRIVER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png AEROJET 10.5°  |  FAIRWAY Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png ROGUE ST MAX 3/15°
HYBRID Pinglogo.png.11947cc88c8641d62e0a99c26da08b18.png G410 21°  |  UTILITY Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 U 5/23°
IRONS Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 6-PW
WEDGES Clevelandgolflogo.png.9b2e702587cd5230010a835ced0f97a0.png CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58°
PUTTER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png KING GRANDSPORT 35

BALL WilsonStafflogo.png.d0d70a74fad1e8f9c4d9f0581e24d31e.pngMODEL | Vicelogo.png.ac8ca0040252d91a9cdaef9d94e6284b.png PRO WHITE/BLUE ICE
BAG Sunmountainlogo.png.2555e0c0e8e49c09ea72c6df224aa0f2.png 3.5 LS  |  PUSHCART Roviclogo.png.ebc800ac4238271b0253c238793522de.png RV1S

2024 Fit For Golf Training App Review

The range was lovely and I didn't see many carts going off so I stole a quick nine. Wasn't going to even keep score but it started off pretty good so why not?

I don't think I missed a single putt inside of 7 feet. Had some driver misses that weren't punished and made some great recovery shots for position with my hybrid. Hybrid hasn't been a confident club for a while now.

4 over for the 9. No birdies. 5/7 FIR but only 3/9 GIR. The scramble was strong today.

Besides two thin shots, striking was excellent. Definitely hitting my irons a bit further now that it's warmer.

I think it's time to look at a spinnier ball. Not seeing much zip.

I'm playing the golf I dreamed about playing last year at this time. Which means more practice, not less. Turns out, playing a whole bunch may have been the difference. Whodathunkit?2aa3235655ed7698b63f6dbbb9437d91.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Odyssey XG #9

Cleveland CG15 wedges 54/58

Takomo 101 irons PW-4

Rescue hybrid 3 

M6 3W & Driver

Bridgestone e12 

I thought I might expand on last weeks return to basics plan-

shot a 79 today, but had at least 3- 3 putts, prob 4. And a few other self inflicted wounds, really stunk the putting today- but that’s neither here nor there as that’s kind of a separate deal from getting to the greens.

so one thing that’s kind of happening is that I’m developing a shorter backswing, then really accelerating thru the ball now- starting to get a consistent little baby draw- that is beginning to get predictable and easier and easier to repeat- resulting in more and more pure strikes with the same little draw- 

the funny part is that the distance seems to be increasing as well- I suppose it makes sense as the draw goes further, but until you start doing it yourself, it’s just theory- basically I’m getting ten more yards per club, with more accuracy-

well see if this trend keeps up- but I’m starting to feel a lot more confidence with every shot again-

simple swing - shorter backswing, better contact- more predictable flight, more accurate- what’s not to like about that

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Shot 47 on a soggy water clogged course, walking 9 after work. Not the best day, and my right arm is telling me the graphite shafted D200s are going back in the bag. 

On the good side, all my tee shots were playable. Not always from the hole I was supposed to be on… but playable. Short game touch is non existent right now. 

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Halo XL 5i-DW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:EVNROLL: ER5 
:maxfli: Tour S