Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What Is The Most You Would Pay For A Putter?

GolfSpy_APH

As a ‘putter ho,’ I’ve amassed a decent collection over the years. Some that didn’t work with me were sold. I’ve paid in the $200-$300 for quality, pre-owned SCs and Toulons.

Given the importance of the putter, I could see justifying more if fitted with a specific $$$ putter. 

Chasing my ball around the cow field, trying to avoid the “ruff.”

Hard to say what I would spend. Off the cuff, I wouldn't pay more than $150-200. However, if I found something that was head and shoulders above the rest and could easily help me shave a few strokes per round then maybe $300 max. Usually, I'll test out some putters, maybe find a cost effective fitting, then find something on sale, or on eBay, that matches my setup. There are some steals out there if you don't mind using something that is a 2-3 years old. I have a Taylormade Spyder, that I bought "new", for $190. Granted the model was a couple years old but it was an improvement to the Odyssey that I had. 

Driver: image.png.3694600600c43a37c27394a7ea01ced0.png ZX5 10.5, HZRDUS Smoke 6.0

3 Wood: image.png.3694600600c43a37c27394a7ea01ced0.png ZX, HZRDUS Smoke 6.0

5 Wood: :callaway-small: Epic Flash, HZRDUS Smoke 6.0

4/5 Hybrid: :ping-small: G425, EvenFlow Black

Irons: :ping-small: i525s (6-UW), DG 105

Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 3.0 (54, 58 EYE2), Ping Z-Z115

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot RX, V-Line Fang, Super Stroke 3.0, image.png.1102aaa904b351f31a2644cd0d9d76e5.png Spyder X, Super Stroke 1.0

Ball: image.png.3694600600c43a37c27394a7ea01ced0.png Z-Star XV, White

I think $200 would be my limit.  I recently bought a Lazrus Putter for under $100 and I love it.

I'm 72 years old and I enjoy playing golf at least once a week.

PXG 0211 Driver 10.5, with graphite senior shaft

PXG 0211 3W, 5W and 7W, with graphite senior shaft

Cobra F-Max Hybrid set 6,5,4 Hybrids, 7,8,9,PW,GW, graphite senior shaft (I'm old)

C3i 59 degree Sand Wedge, steel shaft

Odyssey DFX Double Wide 33" putter

I'm gonna go with $270. I've seen a bunch of great new Ping putters for that price, and I think a good supply of Odyssey's as well. That being said, I just bought a new Sub 70 Sycamore 001 anser style putter for $180. It's nicer than my Toulon (bought used). 

TZ

$420 + tax and shipping because that is how much is would cost me to build the custom version of the Scotty Scheffler Spider Tour, maybe not exact color scheme but same version. I haven't bought this because I am very happy with my current Tri Hot 5K blade putter that I purchased from Callaway second hand, but in true club hoe fashion I want to build and try it.

scotty scheffler.JPG

Edited by hoppman

Given it is typically the most used club in any round, and there are huge impacts from arc, loft and others (some of which are variables of the club vs the user), I would be willing to pay up to say $500 or so.  At the same time, I don't believe that just because something cost more means that, by definition, it is better.  You likely can find something with similar results at a lower price point, but being fitted will likely not go to that lower level price point. But up to $500 or so I would be willing to invest that.  If it was a lot more I would investigate comparable alternatives at a lower price point (for sure, they would exist). 

image.png.b89fa684b54b186f20c376e6af43ac1d.png 425's- 5i to PW, UW

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  G400 Driver, G425 3W, G425 7W, G425 3H

image.png.cf53a065a6e348c87221c4bf13510375.png 56 degree Hi-Toe wedge

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  Glide 60 degree 

image.png.d4990c8d6330ecc392d9a5124b26165a.png Evnroll ER3

Unfortunately, I have a painful reminder of what I'd pay!  About three years ago I was back in Western New York visiting family and decided to get a putter fitting.  It was $100, but I was curious about why I always gravitated to a certain putter and if getting fitted would really help.  

I went through the process and we ended up with Evnroll ER10 Outback putter that was $400 plus tax.  I was somewhat reluctant, but decided to pull the trigger.  Unfortunately, when it arrived back in Key West it wasn't the right length, had different weighting and was different than what I tried.  That lead to back and forth emails as well as sending it back to be "fixed."  Given all of that, I never trusted the putter and it lasted about two years.  

So, the answer is $428.93 (including tax).

Now, I'll search for used putters (that's how I got my two LAB DF2.1s).  Like cars, I'll let the first guy take the depreciation and hope that he/she hasn't used all the good putts each putter has in it's life already.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

9 minutes ago, hoppman said:

$420 + tax and shipping because that is how much is would cost me to build the custom version of the Scotty Scheffler Spider Tour, maybe not exact color scheme but same version. I haven't bought this because I am very happy with my current Tri Hot 5K blade putter that I purchased from Callaway second hand, but in true club hoe fashion I want to build and try it.

scotty scheffler.JPG

This Bronze finish is badasss, not sure I've ever seen it!

Driver:   Srixon ZX7 w/GD Tour VR X 60g w/ Midsize ZCord

5W: TM Rocketballz RBZ with kai'li White X 60g w/ White VTC Cords

3-6 : PING iBlades DG X100 w/ White VTC Cords

7-PW: PING Blueprints DG X100 w/ White VTC Cords 

Wedges: TM MG3 52, 56, 58 DG S300 w/ White VTC Cords

Putter: Scotty Cameron Del-Mar 35" w/ Dancing Scotty Golf Pride Grip

Probably in the $300-400 range. Think I spent about $260-270 on the last one I bought.

One thing that is a little weird is I don't think a fitting would work at all for me, because any time I switch putters my setup and technique ends up totally changing. I seem to mold myself somewhat to the putter, taking a more upright to crouched stance, adjusting the loft of the putter face by changing the shaft tilt, etc. It usually takes a few weeks for this to happen. Sometimes I think anytime I switch it's the result of me finding something that works to correct some flaw in my putting technique, which over time creates new flaws. Indian, not the arrow.

Callaway Epic Flash Driver (9 degree), Callaway Mavrik 3W, Titlelist 910H 3h, Taylormade Speed Blade irons (4i-PW), Kirkland v1 wedges (52-56-60), Odyssey Versa 7 putter. All clubs R-flex

I am a horrendous overthinker when it comes to putting lately.  My current Odyssey was purchased off the Callaway pre-owned site.  It was listed in like new condition and showed with the wrapping still on the head.  Though it works pretty well, every time I visit a golf store, I am trying putters and the Lab putters have been getting my attention.  Of course I still have my old Bullseye that I bought in high school back in the sixties.  Acushnet at that time offered a sort of custom fitting by letting you specify flat, medium or upright lie along with length and grip options.  I still like pulling it out once in awhile.  The feel is great even though the sweet spot is about the size of pencil eraser.  Ultimately if I bite on the Lab, I'll bite the bullet and pay the price.

Callaway Driver, 4 and 7 fairways.  Mizuno 923 Hot Metal 6-LW.  A friend told me my swing is as smooth as Tennessee Whiskey.  If so, I often think it may have come out of the barrel to soon.

I usually purchase stock Scotty Cameron putters thru my local fitter, who owns a golf shop and is a Titleist account.   Whatever the going price is at the time.  Think they are $400-$500 right now.  Bought a Super Select Square Back Newport 2 this year.  I purchase all my equipment thru him.  Also have a Special Select Newport 2 and a Ping PLD Black Milled Anser.  All very similar design, faces and price.      

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

Wow so many differing opinions! The last putter I bought was an Odyssey 2 ball ten armlock. But I bought it for the armlock putter shaft in a hope that it could stabilize my wobbly right shoulder, and it did. I went looking for an LAB Mezz or DF putter with an armlock shaft so I would have to say 600 would be the top of my putter expense range. 

But, I would suffer severe mental anguish over spending that much every time I missed a putt until I figured how to putt with it consistently-which would be really dumb, but that is just me.... 😖

Driver :taylormade-small: Sim Max2

Hybrids :ping-small: G430 2, 3, 4

Irons :srixon-small: ZX4 6-PW

Wedges :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 50, 54, 58

Putter :odyssey-small: 2Ball Ten ArmLock

Golf cart MGI Zip Navigator

:Arccos:

Have paid $300. How much tech goes into basically a flat surface to hit a round ball at slow speed? However I can see rational to pay more: most used club, probably keep that club longest in your bag.

🤟

If a putter is well made, good materials and parts (for everything, including shaft and cover), I don’t mind paying over $500. 
What I hate is paying for poor quality. Putter head cover is interesting: if I pay a lot of money for a putter, I expect attention to detail, including the cover. Not some faux leather s**t that falls apart after 3 months. it’s just indicative of the care manufacturers have for their products and customers.. I know the headcover is not what I’m buying..

i also don’t like being judged for how much I pay for my stuff. My fun, my bills. Not asking anyone to pay for me. 

ZX5 MK II DR | STZ230 32 | JPX850 3H 4H | MP18 6i-PW | JPX 919HM GW | S18 55 | SM8 60 | Phantom X11.5 | Q-Star Tour

My problem is that I switch putters fairly often. My stats show that for a time after the switch I putt much better, then I fall back to my average (which is really not too bad - better than most people). I keep all of the old putters, so I have just about every style. I am currently killing it with an original Odyssey 2-ball that I bought when they were first introduced. I ended up not liking it pretty quickly after buying it, but now, many years later, I LOVE it. I did get fit and paid about $300 for a putter that I don't really like right now. All that being said, I would prefer to pay $250 or less - and I would have no problems buying a gently used putter.

:ping-small: G400 Max driver,  Alta CB shaft R

:callaway-small: heavenwood

:cobra-small: Hybrids - 3 and 4 set to different settings depending on course. Sometimes a Taylormade 4

Maltby STi2 irons 5-GW, Fujikura Shaft

:vokey-small: 54, 58

:taylormade-small: Ardmore 3 putter

Personally I'd pay the $500 range of a Scotty or other top milled brand.  I don't change putters much, and it's the most used club in the bag.  But I'm also still using a milled Ping Anser 2 from 2010 range. 

Ping G410 LST

Taylormade Sim Rockect 3W

Ping G400 7W

Taylormade UDI 3i

Ping i230 5 - GW Power Spec

Ping Glide 4.0 54, 58

Ping Anser 2 Milled

For the right putter, no limit. I got a custom fit Evnroll ER2 last year and it was worth every penny.

TaylorMade SIM2 Max at 9.75°

Ping G425 Max at 15.5° (flat)

Callaway Apex UW at 21°

TaylorMade P770 4i-PW (2° flat)

Ping Glide 3.0 (orange) at 50°S - 54°S - 58°E

Evnroll ER2B (custom)

Vice Pro Plus

I finally retired so now  I can play 2 or 3 x a week.  Stock market been good to me.  So I might get a NEW hot stuff driver for $500 and a new Sacks Parente putter $400.  My highest spend was five fitted Ping I 500 irons, $175 each, but spread out the buys in 2 parts, 4 years apart, pre virus and post virus. 

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

46 minutes ago, Drive2Survive said:

If a putter is well made, good materials and parts (for everything, including shaft and cover), I don’t mind paying over $500. 
What I hate is paying for poor quality. Putter head cover is interesting: if I pay a lot of money for a putter, I expect attention to detail, including the cover. Not some faux leather s**t that falls apart after 3 months. it’s just indicative of the care manufacturers have for their products and customers.. I know the headcover is not what I’m buying..

i also don’t like being judged for how much I pay for my stuff. My fun, my bills. Not asking anyone to pay for me. 

I thought PXG was a bad money grabber, until I learned who Bob Parsons was.  I think he estimated he spent $100,000 as a golfer buying clubs over the years before he decided to make his own company.

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

The greens are where you take half your shots during a round…investing in a putter that gives you confidence is important and if you are willing to spend +$500 on a driver (which you may use 14 times/round) then that is a fair amount to expect to pay for a putter (unless you find a gem at a yard sale or second hand golf rack).  I spent approximately $400 on my current gamer. 

Golf Digest Panelist

I have only used 2 putters in the last 50 years. 14.95 k mart blue light special for 0ver 30 years, then a $19.95 Walmart  Dunlop special for the past 20 years. I have been a good putter for almost all of my golfing career. I am not in the market for a putter and won't be unless my antique breaks like the first K mart model did....lol. 

On 3/25/2024 at 8:56 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Let's say the fitting is free or was included in the purchase price, what is your limit? How much is too much?

What putter would it be?

I’ve justified Scotty’s based on feel. I’m down to two 7.5 models (LH/RH, long story). I’ve tested Evenroll putters and that doesn’t cure my stroke as much as I hoped. The current putter(s) match my arc and fixing the Indian will be a better investment. Should that change over time, I’m ok with the higher end mass produced putters adjusted for loft, balance, and arc. Now that higher end putters are now over $400. 

Titleist TSR 11 degree, HZRDS Red R 44.75 LH

Titleist TSR-1 5/7 Woods LH

Titleist TSR-1 23 Hybrid LH

Titleist T200  7-48 - T350 6 Tensai AMT Red LH

Titleist SM9 50-54-58 TT AMT Red LH

Scotty Phantom X 7.5 RH

$350

I recently retired and decided to start golfing again, after quitting regular play 25 years ago and no play in 9 years. I've never purchased a new putter, so decided to "treat" myself. I splurged and paid $300 for an Odyssey AI-ONE Jailbird Mini. I considered getting the Spider Tour S at $350, but I preferred the feel of the Odyssey, so went with that. So the answer to how much I "would" have been willing to spend was $350.

putters-2024-ai-one-jailbird-mini-db___1.png

wolfpackEatGolfersmall.jpg.7f8841c4b86f1b448f50832c91792ff2.jpg

6 hours ago, Richard Fahrney said:

Before you buy a putter get a putter fitting. 
$150

Every putter I bought was without a fitting and that’s a lot of putters over a 25 or so year period. I did a fitting for my last putter. The results indicated all the putters have been using matched my stroke and my fitting shows the specs I’ve been playing were correct. I still bought the fitted putter for $1200 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1