Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Dick's Golf Business - Turning The Corner?

GolfSpy Barbajo

Dick's golf business stops bleeding, but hunting sales to keep hurting

Sporting goods retailer said golf sales, margins have improved; hunting to remain under pressure in current quarter

MW-DE350_ELY_20_20150128134138_ZH.jpg?uuBloomberg News
‘Big Bertha' has helped stop the bleeding in Dick's Sporting Goods' golf business
tomiKilgore_100.png

By

TOMIKILGORE
REPORTER

Dick's Sporting Goods appears to have stopped the bleeding in its golf business, but unseasonably warm weather has now opened new wounds in cold-weather product sales—notably in its hunting business.

The sporting goods retailer's stock DKS, -9.43%  plunged 12% in active afternoon trade Tuesday, putting it on track to close at the lowest level since January 2012, after the company's disappointing results and outlook. The stock has tumbled nearly 40% since the April 4, 2015 record close of $58.98.

Same-store sales at its Golf Galaxy stores declined for an 11th-straight quarter, but the company said that overall, sales of golf equipment and apparel increased and golf margins improved.

Chief Executive Ed Stack explained on a Tuesday conference call with analysts that while Golf Galaxy “ran a little behind” the results seen in Dick's branded stores, Golf Galaxy represented only about 3% of the company's total business, according to a transcript provided by FactSet. Stack said he saw reason to be optimistic on golf, given strong sales of new products, such as the M1 driver from TaylorMade and Callaway Golf Co.'s Big Bertha.

Stack said the golf business still won't be a big growth area, “it's just we think we've stopped the bleeding, so to speak, but it will be much more profitable.”

When asked by Deutsche Bank analyst Mike Baker whether the warmer-than-usual weather has helped drive golf's improvement, Stack said: “Yes, the weather has definitely helped the golf business, yes.”

At the same time, Stack said he believed the warm weather played a big role in hurting the hunting business, as it kept hunters from buying jackets, boots, socks and layering pieces.

The hunting business is expected to remain under pressure in the current quarter, the company said, as the weather isn't expected to get meaningfully colder through November.

Ironically, Chief Operating Officer Andre Hawaux said on the call that record-warm weather was helping boost same-store sales, to the higher end of expectations, until Labor Day. Then, “it's like somebody turned off the switch,” and cold-weather related apparel products started having a “really difficult time,” Hawaux said, according to FactSet transcripts.

Besides hunting gear, other products that have been hurt included compression products worn by football and soccer players, cold weather running apparel and accessories, ski pants and anything fleece, the company said.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Pretty sure the photo editor isn't an avid golfer...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

How old is that Big Bertha?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

How old is that Big Bertha?

HA HA probably close to being as old as you and I are  :blush:  Just had to say it seriously I think 8 to 10 years old

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Whenever I go to Dick's, all I see is clubs that other people hit.

Don't ever look for anything special.

The drivers are almost all 10.5º  Forget finding a thirteen.  Forget finding a 4-wood or a full-size 7-wood either.

Very low bounce wedge options? Not at Dick's. 

They don't want to stock anything that may sit around for a while, which is why I lack respect for the entire off-course pro shop industry.  Golf clubs are meant to be ordered with specific requests, not bought in retail stores.

But Dick's sells Top Flite Gamer Tours, so I go there when I'm out of ammo.  I'd normally rather order them on line. That way, I can get "Nifty Niblick" printed on them and not have to screw around marking my golf balls with a Sharpie.

By the way, if you do find a ball marked "Nifty Niblick," it's mine.

HA HA probably close to being as old as you and I are  :blush:  Just had to say it seriously I think 8 to 10 years old

You can still get a used one from Callaway for $50.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

The last ERC model that I see listed is the 2004 ERC Fusion so our man Stu is pretty close.

Depends on what shaft is in it if it is worth $50. I may be wrong but I think some versions of that driver were deemed non-conforming. If it had a decent shaft depending on what it is I might would buy one and pull the shaft and scrap the head

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Whenever I go to Dick's, all I see is clubs that other people hit.

Don't ever look for anything special.

The drivers are almost all 10.5º  Forget finding a thirteen.  Forget finding a 4-wood or a full-size 7-wood either.

Very low bounce wedge options? Not at Dick's. 

They don't want to stock anything that may sit around for a while, which is why I lack respect for the entire off-course pro shop industry.  Golf clubs are meant to be ordered with specific requests, not bought in retail stores.

But Dick's sells Top Flite Gamer Tours, so I go there when I'm out of ammo.  I'd normally rather order them on line. That way, I can get "Nifty Niblick" printed on them and not have to screw around marking my golf balls with a Sharpie.

By the way, if you do find a ball marked "Nifty Niblick," it's mine.

Agree with you 100% and will take your word for it since I have not been in a Dick's store for over 5 years now. But if that is the case who ever is in charge is going strictly by sales figures. But as I have said before most golfers are not in tune with the game as us guys on MGS are and are not as good of a player and absolutely have no idea about specfic tuning with equipment to optimize their game. The go with what ever the ads say and then top that off with sales people that do not know a lot about the game in depth (IMHO) and I can see what you are saying. The pics at the beginning of the article will testify to this

G

Depends on what shaft is in it if it is worth $50. I may be wrong but I think some versions of that driver were deemed non-conforming. If it had a decent shaft depending on what it is I might would buy one and pull the shaft and scrap the head

I think that most of them have the proprietary Callaway shaft which was just absolute junk.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

I think that most of them have the proprietary Callaway shaft which was just absolute junk.

I agree. I always pulled the stock shaft and replaced it with a Project X.

Not a fan of Dick's.  Dick's/Golf Galaxy...forget using a gift card from one at the other.  They do not allow.  Bought something at Dick's in Ohio.  Wanted to return it to Golf Galaxy (no Dick's anywhere close at the time in Houston)..."sorry sir, we cannot do that.  You bought that at Dick's."  

Check out www.littlejohngolfleague.com a Greater Houston Traveling Golf League

Archived