Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Ernest ES12 Launch Monitor/ Digital Assistant

Mr_Theoo

Ernest ES12 Digital Assistant Review

Price: 249.99

Features:

Logs up to 2,000 shots

Records club use, distance and speed of ball

Provides instant audible feedback – through speaker or hands-free/Bluetooth earpiece

Analyzes performance data by shot or club

Initial thoughts

Very easy to set up; just open the box and power it on.

The app is easy to navigate and set up with the device

Quick feedback when using device

2013-03-07 16.18.17.jpg

When receiving the package I opened it up, looked through everything and read the instructions. The instructions were very

thorough. Getting the device paired with my phone and registered was a breeze.

My first day at the range with it I just set it down about a foot in front of where and was hitting and started swinging away. I was

impressed by how quickly it relayed the distances to me. I was a bit skeptical about the distances though because it was telling me I

was hitting my 7i only 109-115 yards. So I grabbed my range finder and measured it to where my ball landed. Sure enough it was on

the money. Now I know I can hit my 7iron much further but the strikes weren't good and it showed by the distances that it picked up.

Switched to my 2 wood and it was picking them up fine as well. Whether it went left or right. The one downside I noticed is when I hit

a really bad shot it still picks up the distance but isn't accurate because the ball usually gets stopped by the ground. After my range

session I was able to go back and look at how far I hit each shot and what the ball speed was. The app has a feature that can help you

when on the course decide what club you can use by recalling this information as well.

Pros

Quick feedback

Quick set up

Accurate

Easy set up

Cons

Doesn't compensate for ball flight

Must change the club on the unit each time you hit a different club

So far I have to give this device a score of 70/100

I hope to try this out at the indoor range and a launch monitor to see how truly accurate it is but I foresee this being a valuable tool for me.

]

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Not bad Mr. Theo. doens't look for the bucks that it may be worth the effort based on score but i hope to get more out of the prodcut review as you grow with the product. The one big thing is the accuracy with this type of product which is probably why they declined the MGS contest review. Glad to see it registered well with your laser but again mishits are being picked up. Is there a way to wipe out a bad swing/mishit? if so that may alleviate the BS the gadget is spitting out. this way when you view it on the APP you are looking one to one.

Not bad Mr. Theo. doens't look for the bucks that it may be worth the effort based on score but i hope to get more out of the prodcut review as you grow with the product. The one big thing is the accuracy with this type of product which is probably why they declined the MGS contest review. Glad to see it registered well with your laser but again mishits are being picked up. Is there a way to wipe out a bad swing/mishit? if so that may alleviate the BS the gadget is spitting out. this way when you view it on the APP you are looking one to one.

Yea there is way to delete bad hits after you complete the range session which is nice because it gives you a more true average. The price was def a little high but luckily i had a 40$ gift certificate from golf galaxy that helped.

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Thanks for the initial impression and write up, great job!!

Can't wait to hear how this works out as you get to use it more and can compare to some launch monitors.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Thanks for this initial review, I like the idea of using the club history during a round!

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted to give a little update.

Went to the launch monitor today to do some testing the RBZ stage 2 and while i was there i put the ES12 up to see how accurate it is, and it didnt dissapoint. On the shots good shots i hit the carry distance was only off by a couple of yards, while the ball speed as spot on. On the bad slices i had the distance was off but ball speed still correct. So while the device isnt as good as trackman or other launch monitors it is a very good device in helping one know their distance for when they are out on the course.

Wanted to give a little update.

Went to the launch monitor today to do some testing the RBZ stage 2 and while i was there i put the ES12 up to see how accurate it is, and it didnt dissapoint. On the shots good shots i hit the carry distance was only off by a couple of yards, while the ball speed as spot on. On the bad slices i had the distance was off but ball speed still correct. So while the device isnt as good as trackman or other launch monitors it is a very good device in helping one know their distance for when they are out on the course.

Hey Theoo,

Thanks for the follow up. can you tell us how you know the ball speed is spot on. what are you comparing it to? My fear for this device was that anything hit out of the range (deadstraight) the device would not be able to pick up the correct data and that seems to hold true.

Hey Theoo,

Thanks for the follow up. can you tell us how you know the ball speed is spot on. what are you comparing it to? My fear for this device was that anything hit out of the range (deadstraight) the device would not be able to pick up the correct data and that seems to hold true.

The device tells you the ball speed, then the distance after you hit it. which i compared to the data on the launch monitor right after i hit each shot

Thanks for the extra follow up!

Everytime I read or hear about this device I keep thinking I want one. Then I remember I'm not exactly the straightest hitter so I don't know that it would work out so well.

I think a really useful niche for this product would be as a rental option at a driving range. I'd love to grab one for an hour or two and hit the range, but I don't think I would continue to use it in the long run.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Wish it could measure spin and launch angle. But then I guess it would be a $5000 unit. Bet it can't tell if you blade a shot or even shank one for that matter. Sure is tempting to try for the price.

Keep us updated as you learn more about it.

• 11 months later...

Thought I'd bump this as Dan's review had me looking into both the SC100 and ES12...maybe the ES14 as well.

Yup.......that ES14 is tempting.....

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Yup.......that ES14 is tempting.....

Its already on my christmas wish list lol

Thanks for the review, it would be useful when I am adjusting my driver, without much time and effort.

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

Archived