Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Bobby Jones Golf Launches New SuperLight Driver by Jesse Ortiz

Moecat

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/bobby-jones-golf-launches-new-superlight-driver-by-jesse-ortiz-90733339.html

HAYWARD, Calif., April 13 /PRNewswire/ -- They're not for everybody, but the new Workshop Edition SuperLight Series drivers designed by master craftsman Jesse Ortiz for Bobby Jones Golf (http://www.bobbyjonesgolf.net/) are adding an average of 15 to 20 yards to the drives of good golfers whose swing speeds have now dropped into the 80s or below.

Drawing on new technology and his own passion for designing better golf clubs, Ortiz started with the award-winning Workshop Edition driver head. Its aerodynamic, triangular shape enhances the head's rotation during the swing, allowing the face to square more easily at impact and better correct off-center hits. He added the super-premium 45-gram Graphite Design YSQ Tour AD SuperLight shaft, and Winn's new 25-gram "lite" grip. Together, they reduce the total weight of the driver by 45 grams.

But Ortiz didn't stop there. The designer increased the shaft length to 47 inches, resulting in a club-head speed increase of nearly seven mph and a swing distance increase of at least 15 yards for most players. Superior performance for many, says Ortiz, boils down to physics.

"The light weight of the SuperLight Series drivers allow for greater control, even though the shaft is a full two inches over standard," Ortiz explained. "We removed no weight from the head. All the weight reduction comes from the shaft and grip areas, which allows golfers to increase club-head speed with no sacrifice in mass at the impact zone -- and with no extra effort or strength required."

Compared to standard drivers, which have 60- or 65-gram shafts with 50-gram grips, a 45-inch length and a weight of about 320 grams, the SuperLight Series drivers are featherweights. Even with the added shaft length, they weigh in at under 285 grams.

Available in stiff, regular and senior flexes, the SuperLight Series drivers will most benefit golfers who consistently hit fairways but have lost distance over the years. Although Ortiz recommends the full 47-inch shaft and cautions golfers who want to get the most out of the technology to stay at 46 inches or above, Bobby Jones Golf will, however, make the driver any length the customer desires.

"I have demonstrated the SuperLight Series drivers at events nationwide, and the results are always the same. Golfers consistently gain yardage, starting from the first few shots," stated Ortiz. "Drivers today all go about the same distance. The only way to increase distance under the USGA rules is to increase club-head speed and increase the arc or distance the club-head travels during the swing. Bobby Jones Golf's new SuperLight technology addresses those two points in a way we haven't seen since the advent of the first graphite shafts nearly four decades ago."

A short video at http://www.bobbyjonesgolf.com/SuperLite-Driver?sc=14&category=7028 provides additional details about the SuperLight Series drivers from Bobby Jones Golf. Learn more about Ortiz and Bobby Jones Golf at http://www.bobbyjonesgolf.com/.

Media Contact:

Jim McDonough

866-476-0120

[email protected]

• SPY VIP

47" inch driver...and I thought the Fourteen's JC-909 at 46.5" was borderline insane. Seriously, is this what it has come to?

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

The new TM SuperFast is 46.5 inches as well. My instructor let me try his demo version last weekend. I had to choke down all the way to the end of the grip in order for it to be manageable for me.

My Stulz super lite driver has a firm 46 inch shaft and it is a good 20 yards longer than my TM R9TP.

Honestly, I'm hesitant to look at anything in the Bobby Jones line after my experience with the two hybrids which now roost in my garage. I never could hit them consistently.

They are not nearly as forgiving as TM hybrids and they shoot the ball too far in the air.

Semper Fi

My Club

Good to see another brand targeting the slower swing speeds, but yes I agree, the shaft 47 inches long sounds a bit insane.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I used to play with an older guy who made himself a driver with a 51 inch stiff shaft.

He wasn't a very good player but he could get it out there around 275 with a 50 yard slice which he controlled better than you'd expect.

Semper Fi

My Club

47" is unreal. Even the new Burner Superfast at 46.5" is out there... And these companies who are going to the Winn LITE grip don't tell the whole story... Yes, the grip is lighter than a conventional grip..... PROBLEM: This affects the swingweight so much... The new Winn LITE grips make the club 5-6 swingweight points HEAVIER than what it was before. The new Superfast from TaylorMade is a D8 or D9 swingweight due to the grip. Unless you want to swing a boulder at the end of a twig............

"Hey Ace... You got any more of that gum?" "That's none of your damn business and I'll thank you for staying out of my personal affairs." - Ace Ventura Pet Detective

47" is unreal. Even the new Burner Superfast at 46.5" is out there... And these companies who are going to the Winn LITE grip don't tell the whole story... Yes, the grip is lighter than a conventional grip..... PROBLEM: This affects the swingweight so much... The new Winn LITE grips make the club 5-6 swingweight points HEAVIER than what it was before. The new Superfast from TaylorMade is a D8 or D9 swingweight due to the grip. Unless you want to swing a boulder at the end of a twig............

Good point, that's why the Heavy Wedge makes so much sense. Mark my words, we will see a 48 inch shaft. Then the growth will end because 48 is the limit as defined by the USGA, but we will see it.

Can't imagine a 48 inch shaft, like swinging a cane pole with a driver head on it. I will take it senior shaft to see if I can bend it in half!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

• 2 weeks later...

personally i am not a fan of the bobby jones collection.... i have talked to guys though who swear by the stuff.... :blink:

"Hey Ace... You got any more of that gum?" "That's none of your damn business and I'll thank you for staying out of my personal affairs." - Ace Ventura Pet Detective

Good point, that's why the Heavy Wedge makes so much sense. Mark my words, we will see a 48 inch shaft. Then the growth will end because 48 is the limit as defined by the USGA, but we will see it.

I have played around with the Heavy Wedge... it feels pretty solid.

Archived