18 members have voted

1. 1. What clubs have you been fit for?

• Driver
    • Fairway/Hybrid
    • Irons
    • Wedges
    • Putter
    • Never been fit

For guys browsing via mobile.  There is a poll on this thread, feel free to comment but if you get a chance, go and vote in the poll when you get on a PC or use your phone browser instead of the app.

I'm curious what clubs you guys have all been fit for.  It's always my first piece of advice when someone asks "What XXXXX should I play?"  But as a percentage of guys I know it's pretty low.  These are very avid golfers and all with mid-low single digits handicaps.  The are happy to try a new club every year, but won't shell out the money to just go and get fit.

For the purposes of this poll I want to know if you've ever been fit and for what segments of the bag.  I'm not talking about some guy in a big box store letting you test out a bunch of stuff either.  I'm talking about a real fitting (most likely paid for) where you really got to test various heads/shafts etc.

Personally I've been fit for driver, irons, wedges and putter.  Driver and irons multiple times.  I've never done the fairway/hybrid fitting because I love my current setup.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I've been fit for everything but the putter. Going to have that done this winter. Might do another driver fitting but nothing has come close to beating the sldr. Irons I will do a shaft fitting and replace the tour Vs in the hogans.

I enjoy doing fittings because you can learn a lot about your swing

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Big believer in proper fitting.

Like Meyer mentioned; I play with a lot of guys of various skill level and I'm the only one I know of that's actually had a true paid for fitting. Everybody else is OTR. 

My clubs were all individually hand/custom built too. Not spec'd out and turned over to the OEM to be assembled and shipped back.

Of all the fittings I place putter lowest. My driver fitting was a bust resulting in me returning the club. However, I would do it again next time but I'd make sure the fitting is done outdoors.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I've been fitted for the whole bag. My 1st ever fitting was for a putter, and I was amazed at how much I learned. Everything else has been fitted on grass as well, which I believe is important.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I've been fit for my driver, when I was chosen for the JPX-EZ test.

As Theoo knows, I tested iron shafts down at Golfworks and found what worked best for me...not that that's a fitting.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Have never done a paid for fitting for anything driver through wedges. The only club I have been what I consider fit for is the putter and it was through my instructor where we did Puttlab measurements to determine the best putter for my stroke. I then took that recommendation and sought out and ultimately obtained a putter that fit my stroke. For me this was a several month trial and error process

For driver and irons I have been fitted at several manufacturers demo days. I did not purchase at that event but purchased irons based on the fitting. Driver, hybrids, and wedges have been OTR for me

I like to try a lot if different clubs but I don't change equipment very often. Perhaps my next set upgrade will be based on a true fitting

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I was fit for driver, FW/hybrids, and irons about 6 years ago, but it was not like the fittings I have read about here.  It was more of the "try different OEM clubs with the different shafts that were available".  The cost of the fitting was reimbursed when I bought the clubs, and supposedly I can go back as many times I want to check the fit.  However, it's 250 miles away and it's not something I will probably do over.

I have never been fitted for wedges and putter.  I love my SCORs and had the lie adjusted for my swing.  I like a heavy putter and OEMs don't make one near my specs yet.

I am going through a fitting at Ping HQ when I am in Phoenix next month.  If something screams at me, I will be contacting MmmmmmBuddy!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I've been fit for my driver, when I was chosen for the JPX-EZ test.

As Theoo knows, I tested iron shafts down at Golfworks and found what worked best for me...not that that's a fitting.

Then why did I charge you that fitting fee lol jk

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Done a true driver & iron fitting once... Walked away discourage.. This is my own opinion from my experiences around here, Don't trust fittings. Everyone has an agenda, from pushing certain brands or models or sell ya more expensive clubs. Bottom line is they're out to make money off of you.

Done a true driver & iron fitting once... Walked away discourage.. This is my own opinion from my experiences around here, Don't trust fittings. Everyone has an agenda, from pushing certain brands or models or sell ya more expensive clubs. Bottom line is they're out to make money off of you.

Sad to hear you had a bad experience.  From my own personal experience with fitting I would say you experienced the exception, not the rule.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Sad to hear you had a bad experience. From my own personal experience with fitting I would say you experienced the exception, not the rule.

I would agree, even when I went thru a Tmag fitter here in Columbus he wouldn't recommend any that wasn't better than I had in my bag already.

Is club fitting rocket science? Some days I say yes; other days I say no. Mostly no. I tend to be a little skeptical when I see younger guys doing fittings; I feel more confident when I see older... and more experienced guys that have been fitting for 25-30 years. Here's why. I think the younger guys tend to reply too much on technology. Older guys worked most of their careers without electronic technology are now able to blend the old hands-on-eye-on methods which may perhaps enhance and validate their evaluation. Possibly helping to fine tune things a bit. Another way of looking at this is to think .... what the computer and book says vs. actual hands-on experience. Theory vs. real-world.

I'll go with Real-World every time.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

For guys browsing via mobile. There is a poll on this thread, feel free to comment but if you get a chance, go and vote in the poll when you get on a PC or use your phone browser instead of the app.

I'm curious what clubs you guys have all been fit for. It's always my first piece of advice when someone asks "What XXXXX should I play?" But as a percentage of guys I know it's pretty low. These are very avid golfers and all with mid-low single digits handicaps. The are happy to try a new club every year, but won't shell out the money to just go and get fit.

For the purposes of this poll I want to know if you've ever been fit and for what segments of the bag. I'm not talking about some guy in a big box store letting you test out a bunch of stuff either. I'm talking about a real fitting (most likely paid for) where you really got to test various heads/shafts etc.

Personally I've been fit for driver, irons, wedges and putter. Driver and irons multiple times. I've never done the fairway/hybrid fitting because I love my current setup.

Nope never full fitting irons somewhat but thats it.

Bags

I was fit for my driver and three at the PGA Superstore. I went in swung a few clubs a few times, they looked at my swing speed and recommended a shaft and out the door. Can't expect anything more for a free fitting. I would definitely like to get professionally fit from driver down to putter one day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

I have had both positive and negative fittings. From my experience, you get great results from fitters who have no particular OEM bias and make their profits from the fitting cost vs. club sales. Club champion, golf doctor D.C. Come to mind. You do pay a premium for the fit, but the experience of hitting multiple head/shaft, loft/lie combos is fun. Knowing that they aren't looking to up sell on sticks is refreshing. For example, I went in a few years ago after a deployment looking to drop some serious $$ on some me custom miuras. After hitting everything, the fitter set me up with AP2s at a fraction of cost. Find a good fitter, be open to multiple brands/setups, and trust the process. Reading reviews and having a basic understanding of what to expect doesn't hurt either

I've had a couple of fittings for irons however both times it was not very in depth.   Basically all it involved was hitting off a lie board to see where I needed upright or flat. My large hands dictated mid size grips and my swing speed showed I needed regular flex irons.  

I've never been fit for driver, hybrids, wedges, or putter.  Maybe one of these days I can go through the experience.  

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Yes.

I was fit for iron shafts at Perfect Swing in Toms River NJ using Trackman and it was incredible. I hit a variety of shafts and the fitter worked with me on weight and stiffness to find the shaft that felt and performed the best for me

For my driver fitting I was fit outside with no launch monitor and I really enjoyed the fitting. We were able to use flags and markers on the range to figure out distances and the fitter used his trained eye to help dial in ball flight. I really enjoyed being fit for a driver outdoors.

I've been fit for irons and driver.

My current driver I was fit for last September. The current irons I bought based off specs from a fitting in the spring of 2015. I plan to go through another iron fitting at some point this year.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

"Have you ever been fit?"

Yes, I was fit in Nov 1983 when I ran the Tri-Cities Marathon... just under 4 hours.  That was the last time I ran anything more than 100 yards.  I got progressively more unfit every year after that.  That's one of the reasons I took up golf in 1991... It's something I can play without being fit.  However, my game did improve after I got "fitted" for my Ping i20's in 2012.   :lol:

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

For people looking to get fit and are unable to go where they have Trackman etc there are plenty of older style fitters around. Ask them if they are PCS (Professional Clubmakers Society). These folks really know what they are doing and that is without the latest gadgets.

Then why did I charge you that fitting fee lol jk

Cause you said that nothing in life is free...plus you guaranteed my money back if I don't shoot par first time out! :lol:

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Cause you said that nothing in life is free...plus you guaranteed my money back if I don't shoot par first time out! :lol:

That first part sounds a lot like me, not so sure about the second part lol

Best fitting I've ever had was at Miles of Golf back home in Ypsilanti, MI. I was fitted for driver, fairways, and irons. It was a combination fitting of hitting in an indoor bay out on to the driving range so we could confirm visually with what was being displayed via computer. I was able to choose real targets on the range at various distances so I could test out more than just a 6 or 7 iron. They had every component one could imagine from heads to shafts. Just an incredible experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I remember a wise old man ( my grandfather) once told me its a poor carpenter who blames his tools..BUT its not that way with golf equipment.

I have my complete bag fitted Driver 3W 5-9 PW AW SW LW, I now swing every club the same way and thus gained considerably greater consistency with accuracy and distance. Tom "Wishon"clubs are great

Clubs I might mention but I will never buy clubs that arent fitted to me and my swing cause I want them to be MY CLUBS FOR ME TO PLAY WITH, just saying!

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I've been fitted for the whole bag. My 1st ever fitting was for a putter, and I was amazed at how much I learned. Everything else has been fitted on grass as well, which I believe is important.

THIS!

The really good fittings I've been through have been great learning experiences - both about equipment and about my swing.  Static fittings are okay - at least you get length and lie right, but the full Tour Van fitting I went through at 2nd Swing was remarkable (click here for the write up).

What made me really appreciate that fitting was that, two months later, it was completely backed up by a full bag fitting at Wilson Staff - virtually the exact same results for iron shafts and lie, as well as driver (different shaft, but it worked great). 

Putter fittings have also been educational. From Brad Pluth I learned shorter (32") works better for me, with a heavier head. And the Edel fitting (click here) was eye opening, and you're going to have to pull that Edel Willamette out of my cold, dead hands...

At least until I find something newer, shinier and offering immediate gratification.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Archived