SoutheastLefty

High Handicap Fitting Experience: Frustrating

First: interesting write up of the whole experience. Glad to have read it.

In some ways, despite the evident frustration of the experience, you did come away with this advantage: two different fitters giving you more or less the same advice. I've not been fitted before (so take anything I say with that grain of salt), but I always suspected that with a fitting, you might wonder that if you went on a different day or talked to a different fitter, you'd end up with a significantly different result. In your case, you have good reason to think that, at the very least, you've been recommended a club that's a good fit for you now.

• Like 8

Good write up and I'm sorry to hear the whole experience didn't go quite as planned, but glad to hear you got fitted into a driver that works well for you.

I dont believe you went about it wrong at all. sucks about fitting number two, but i guess that is why they are a premium fitter?

I dont believe you limited or narrowed yourself. Sounded like you had a pretty decent idea of what you wanted to try and you did in the end.

I've only ever been fit for my irons never driver (probably went I have yet to find one I really love) so it was good to hear about your experience. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 3

thanks for sharing! that is really frustrating overall, but, as mpatrickriley noted above, at least you did get similar results from 2 different fitters. 

Sucks that you had to pay to go through 3 different fittings and that some were not set up well for you. I had the same spraying experience with the TM head when i hit it for fun a few weeks ago, i couldn't get it to go anywhere near the fairway. 

If you're happy with the overall result and the time/$$ expense doesn't affect you, try to let it go. Sounds like you know who to avoid for future fittings. 

I've always been a golfing on a budget person, and there are pros and cons on pre-narrowing your selection on heads and shafts in your price range. It'd be awesome to go to a truly agnostic fitter with everything you could imagine, but there is the time and $$$ expense. sounds likes you found a really good combo. 

• Like 3

A fear of fitting for me is getting the wrong guy and not being satisfied with the end result.

• Like 4

Great story about your fitting experience. Even though it was frustrating with the first two it sounds like you ended up getting what you needed. And for us lefty's it is frustrating when the retailers either aren't set up for us or don't have the entire range of available options.

So now that the Rogue's in your bag do you like it?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

I don't think you did it wrong. My personal preference is to not get fit by my coach but I get the reasoning behind that concept.

Everyone is good enough to get fit and I think txg did a great job in their video on that.

Attempt #2 is something you could come across at any fitting location so I would be a little ticked but would ring it up to a learning experience.

The stock shafts from all brands are designed to fit the majority of golfers and most don't need to go after market with shafts so imo you didn't leave anything on the table.

One thing I would do is focus your lessons on learning to hit up with driver. Most amateurs will gain significant distance and improve dispersion by hitting up on driver.

• Like 1

Great write up and thanks for sharing your experiences.

I found a few important take always.

1. Your swing is your swing. It was the same all three fittings. Even though it's not where you would like it to be you have a clear pattern.

2. Change swing coaches. He should have at least been honest with you and said - all the OEMs are good but I work with Calloway and can find a good fit for you there.

3. The negative AoA isn't as bad as you think it is. The average touring pro has a negative AoA with driver. It's your swing - don't ruin it by chasing a positive AoA on driver - just maximize what you have.

4. Frustrating as it was you ended up with a driver that fits.

Hit it well!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 7

Great write up, very detailed and interesting. First off-you are never too good or too bad to get fit, but as you get better, there may be other combos that work better for you.

I think you got to he right conclusion but I would've looked at other people too after your swing coach, but unfortunately you were forced again to look at another guy bc the 2nd dude was lame.

Lastly, your budget and needs are yours. If you need a stock shaft price, that's what you need and a good fitter should be able to work within that. It sounds like you got a good option.

Ps. We've all had bad fittings lol it's nothing new. My last fitting the guy bent my irons all differently. I had to get them fixed and they were bent from everything from down 1 to up 4 and I should've been up 1 lol

• Like 2

First: interesting write up of the whole experience. Glad to have read it.

In some ways, despite the evident frustration of the experience, you did come away with this advantage: two different fitters giving you more or less the same advice. I've not been fitted before (so take anything I say with that grain of salt), but I always suspected that with a fitting, you might wonder that if you went on a different day or talked to a different fitter, you'd end up with a significantly different result. In your case, you have good reason to think that, at the very least, you've been recommended a club that's a good fit for you now.

thanks for sharing! that is really frustrating overall, but, as mpatrickriley noted above, at least you did get similar results from 2 different fitters. 

Sucks that you had to pay to go through 3 different fittings and that some were not set up well for you. I had the same spraying experience with the TM head when i hit it for fun a few weeks ago, i couldn't get it to go anywhere near the fairway. 

If you're happy with the overall result and the time/$$ expense doesn't affect you, try to let it go. Sounds like you know who to avoid for future fittings. 

I've always been a golfing on a budget person, and there are pros and cons on pre-narrowing your selection on heads and shafts in your price range. It'd be awesome to go to a truly agnostic fitter with everything you could imagine, but there is the time and $$$ expense. sounds likes you found a really good combo. 

Agreed. The fact that I landed in effectively the same place with two different folks has me feeling good. 

Time will tell if I'm pleased once the club comes in! 

• Like 2

Great story about your fitting experience. Even though it was frustrating with the first two it sounds like you ended up getting what you needed. And for us lefty's it is frustrating when the retailers either aren't set up for us or don't have the entire range of available options.

So now that the Rogue's in your bag do you like it?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Not yet! Ordered last weekend and was quoted 7-10 business days. Hoping it comes in later this week in time to go in the bag for the weekend! 

• Like 1

Great write up and thanks for sharing your experiences.

I found a few important take always.

1. Your swing is your swing. It was the same all three fittings. Even though it's not where you would like it to be you have a clear pattern.

2. Change swing coaches. He should have at least been honest with you and said - all the OEMs are good but I work with Calloway and can find a good fit for you there.

3. The negative AoA isn't as bad as you think it is. The average touring pro has a negative AoA with driver. It's your swing - don't ruin it by chasing a positive AoA on driver - just maximize what you have.

4. Frustrating as it was you ended up with a driver that fits.

Hit it well!

Thanks for digesting the post and putting your conclusions together. 

1: Agreed on my swing. It's not perfect, but my misses are consistent. (Coming over the top on the downswing, generating an out-in swing path & getting a touch steep). Was glad that ultimately my swing coach and retail fitter landed in the same spot. 

2: This is where I'm torn. I've done a dozen or so lessons with him over the past 6 months or so, and really done a good job getting me to transition my swing. Even during my fitting session with him, he was intelligent and looking for all the right things. But as you said, the way Callaway was pitched to me was a little off. Out of convenience (10 minutes from my home) and overall experience thus far, I'm planning to stay with him, but unlikely to try and get fit with him again.

3: Yeah. I'm torn on AoA. Lots of videos and general thoughts on a good way to increase distance is simply getting to a positive AoA. Generally I get steep with my swing regardless, so I think as I better manage my swing path it'll shallow out a touch naturally. I doubt I'm suddenly going to end up swinging +2, but if I could move that AoA closer to 0 to -2 instead of -2 to -4, that may be helpful beyond Driver.

4: Agreed! Thanks.

• Like 3

I don't think you did it wrong. My personal preference is to not get fit by my coach but I get the reasoning behind that concept.

Everyone is good enough to get fit and I think txg did a great job in their video on that.

Attempt #2 is something you could come across at any fitting location so I would be a little ticked but would ring it up to a learning experience.

The stock shafts from all brands are designed to fit the majority of golfers and most don't need to go after market with shafts so imo you didn't leave anything on the table.

One thing I would do is focus your lessons on learning to hit up with driver. Most amateurs will gain significant distance and improve dispersion by hitting up on driver.

Curious your thought on why you prefer to not get fit by your coach? Love the TXG videos. Was half thinking about trying to get fit by them up in Toronto on a work trip.

Re: #2, definitely a learning experience. Primarily frustrating because I took a half day at work and drove up to the other side of DC into MD to get fit, only to pay $150 for the privilege to be told to go get a better swing!

• Like 1

Thank you so much for this detailed review! I've only been through one set of lessons and a “fitting” for my irons. (I say “fitting” because everything was about swinging the stock options and not changing shafts, or bending any of the equipment, etc.)

I have never been through a full fitting because I am apprehensive that the only goal of the person doing the fitting is to have me buy the most expensive equipment. I also am a lefty and a budget conscious golfer and want to make sure my investment is going to be worthwhile. I like your strategy of three different fittings so as to compare the results like getting different quotes on a project for the house.

Based off of the information you have shared, it sounds like the frustration may have been worth it as your swing was proven to be consistent across three different days and times as well as having basically the same thing recommended two out of the three times. Using the information you have shared, I think that when I'm ready to spend the time and money, I would copy your approach of getting three separate fittings and be able to compare the data.

Thank you again for sharing, and I hope to hear soon about how your experience is with the new driver in play.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for this detailed review! I've only been through one set of lessons and a “fitting” for my irons. (I say “fitting” because everything was about swinging the stock options and not changing shafts, or bending any of the equipment, etc.)

I have never been through a full fitting because I am apprehensive that the only goal of the person doing the fitting is to have me buy the most expensive equipment. I also am a lefty and a budget conscious golfer and want to make sure my investment is going to be worthwhile. I like your strategy of three different fittings so as to compare the results like getting different quotes on a project for the house.

Based off of the information you have shared, it sounds like the frustration may have been worth it as your swing was proven to be consistent across three different days and times as well as having basically the same thing recommended two out of the three times. Using the information you have shared, I think that when I'm ready to spend the time and money, I would copy your approach of getting three separate fittings and be able to compare the data.

Thank you again for sharing, and I hope to hear soon about how your experience is with the new driver in play.

Regardless of the frustrations in getting fit, I highly encourage getting fit. I will say though, it was not my "Strategy" to get fit 3x (and pay three times!). I'd recommend doing some research on good, reputable fitters in your areas (check out forums here, reviews online, etc). Pick one you'd like to reach out to and send them a note/phone call to discuss before you go and pay. If you don't get a good vibe, move on. 

I'd only recommend going to another fitter and paying again if you don't feel comfortable with where you landed after the first session.

• Like 1

Curious your thought on why you prefer to not get fit by your coach? Love the TXG videos. Was half thinking about trying to get fit by them up in Toronto on a work trip.

Re: #2, definitely a learning experience. Primarily frustrating because I took a half day at work and drove up to the other side of DC into MD to get fit, only to pay $150 for the privilege to be told to go get a better swing!

As for not getting fit by my coach or a coach, most don't have the in depth knowledge of shaft properties and/or heads especially in driver. Also like your coach they are usually on staff with a certain brand and may or may not have access to other brands gear and tend to push towards the brand they are on staff with.

Where in MD did you get fit?

As for not getting fit by my coach or a coach, most don't have the in depth knowledge of shaft properties and/or heads especially in driver. Also like your coach they are usually on staff with a certain brand and may or may not have access to other brands gear and tend to push towards the brand they are on staff with.

Where in MD did you get fit?

Very fair points re: fitting by a coach.

My experience at attempt #2 was Club Champion up in Rockville with Jim. 

Regardless of the frustrations in getting fit, I highly encourage getting fit. I will say though, it was not my "Strategy" to get fit 3x (and pay three times!). I'd recommend doing some research on good, reputable fitters in your areas (check out forums here, reviews online, etc). Pick one you'd like to reach out to and send them a note/phone call to discuss before you go and pay. If you don't get a good vibe, move on.

I'd only recommend going to another fitter and paying again if you don't feel comfortable with where you landed after the first session.

Makes complete sense. My mistake in not thoroughly understanding that you were “forced” into three fittings due to lack of positive experiences. Thank you for the advice on how to go about it based on your experience.

Very fair points re: fitting by a coach.

My experience at attempt #2 was Club Champion up in Rockville with Jim.

Not familiar with Jim. My recommendations for next time you want to get fit in the DC area is 1) find one of the demo days. The reps in this area are pretty good and they are free. 2) gonyo either goldom in Tyson's or if you come into MD go to nighthawk

Not familiar with Jim. My recommendations for next time you want to get fit in the DC area is 1) find one of the demo days. The reps in this area are pretty good and they are free. 2) gonyo either goldom in Tyson's or if you come into MD go to nighthawk

Based on the variety of clubs and shafts he hit the third time, I bet Golfdom was the 3rd place. It actually would have been a good place to start.

They have full fitting carts from just about everyone and the staff there is pretty knowledgeable.

• Like 2