Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Wedge/ Buckle.......latest project, LOL

golfluvzme

I was asked by a very good customer, recently to convert the head of a brand new Vokey wedge into a belt buckle. It seems that the "AK" buckle that Anthony Kim sports, had finally gotten the best of him and he was looking to make a look of his own, ;).

Well, I knew that it could be done, but really was not positive on several details. Thankfully, I had a perfect project wedge head on the shelf and it became the sacrificial lamb, so to speak. Off with the hosel, fab up a loop to hold the stationary end of the belt, create a pin to hold the belt, then off to the welder. It sounds like a very fast process, but there was a ton of "whoopsie's" and WTH's involved and now the welder is firmly in my sites.

Not sure just what type of finish will look best on this one, when it is completed, but you guys tell me some ideas and we'll go from there.

Thanks,

LaMont in AZ

2010_10220038.jpg

2010_10220039.jpg

2010_10220041.jpg

2010_10220037.jpg

I have some rodeo buckles that outweigh this one, easily, but yes, it will have more bulk than the average buckle. Please remember, this was the very first attempt and any comments will help with the future, if there is any, making of this type of project.

It may be that I need to mill out a large amount of material in the groove side of the buckle to bring the weight into line.

Great observation, I will take it to heart and you'll see a difference in the next one.........if there IS a next one, ;) .

Thanks,

LaMont in AZ

That looks sweet. I agree though, I'd be more likely to "game" this baby if you milled out the material on the groove side! I would love to sport one of these with black nickel finish and a white leather belt!

The Germans are only dead, when the coffin is nailed shut

I want one... How much are you charging to make these???

Callaway Epic driver

(Not delivered yet)

Titleist 917 D2 driver

Titleist C16 irons or

Callaway Apex16 irons

Callaway Apex hybrids

Scotty dual balance notchback putter

Perhaps recycling all of our old 1 and 2 irons would result in a lighter buckle...

You don't think that head is too heavy ?

Shambles

Callaway Epic driver

(Not delivered yet)

Titleist 917 D2 driver

Titleist C16 irons or

Callaway Apex16 irons

Callaway Apex hybrids

Scotty dual balance notchback putter

I'd have made the end where the belt attaches (not the pin end) where it was hinged and could move freely. What size is that stock too? Looks kind of thick and could pose problems with some belt manufacturers. I also like the cup milling idea on the non exposed side. It'd lighten it significantly. That said it is beautiful and he should be pleased.

Finish? Well it's a bling buckle, gotta go chrome with candied paintfill, either candy red and gold or something similar. Of course with chrome you could also go translucents. Chrome versus oil can or black oxide makes it more versatile in regards to what one could wear it with too.

Reminds me of the J. Lindeberg and Miura belt buckles as well as gripmaster's. But this one is custom.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

great idea. will be the only one who use that buckle in here.

WITB:

Cleveland Launcher 09 10.5*

Cleveland Launcher Comp 15*

Nike Sumo SQ2 20*

Ping Rapture 4-P

Titleist Vokey SM 50*/54*/58*

Cleveland Classic #2

RB7's got a good point on the finish; a person wouldn't be using a clubhead as a belt buckle if they didn't want people to notice it. But if it were me personally, I'd go with the Ping look: a little tumble in a vibratory. It be there for all to see, just a little understated.

Interesting idea. I think I would have gone with a 1 iron to protect against lightning though. :lol:

Problem is if the idea takes off there's only [27] 1 irons left on the planet! LOL!!!!

Jack and GOD bought up all the rest ever made!

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

How much $$$$ are you going to give Titleist/Vokey for selling their wedges as a belt buckle?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

There's a chance the club manufacturers would not bother you if you were using their heads and not making replicas. If you cast replicas, you would probably be safer asking permission.

I think the idea is worthy but I expect a wedge head is in the area of 300+ grams and a standard belt buckle can be 50 to 100 grams so we are looking at a lot of material that needs trimming off.

Shambles

How much $$$$ are you going to give Titleist/Vokey for selling their wedges as a belt buckle?

Foz,

Thanks for that chuckle. I hadn't checked in here for a few days and noticed it on MyGolfSpy's FaceBook page. Had no idea that he had put it up. Thanks for that posting, MGS.

As was mentioned, I don't see Titleist or Vokey having any issues. It is simply taking a club that was on its way to the dumpster and giving it a new life as a totally different article.

This one stalled out as I dove back into my putter work, but I need to get it out and get it finished up. Getting a lot of requests to go white with black or bright fill. May go that way, or may go with this finish that was an accident recently while trying to preserve a totally different look on a putter by using a heat cured clear coat.

Any thoughts?

LaMont in AZ

Dats ok... just substitute a modern 3 iron for yesteryear's 1 iron. Same thing. LOL!

Actually it's the olther way around todays 3 iron is like the old 5 iron. Not vice versa :)

Unless ofcourse you mean no one is playing a 3 iron anymore.... But size wise there's no comparison.

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

oopsss!! my bad... yer right.

If you're meaning lofts, then you're kind of right, Mike... today's 3i is 19-21*- the 2i was 20* pre-'76 and the 1i has stayed 16-17* for a long time (pre- '76 til its demise). Pre- 1976 it was 24*, from '76-'87 it was 23*; from '87-'96 it was 22*. Pre-'76, the 5i was 32*. Of course, if we're talking shape, that's a whole 'nother ball game and T-Dub's right.

The only reason I'm knowing this is because I just re-read that section in Maltby's "The Complete Golf Club Fitting Plan". Yes, I'm that big of a nerd :) .

Archived