Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

2018 Official Forum Member Review - PING i500 Irons

hckymeyer

How do these clubs feel.. I mean if you closed your eyes would you like, love or hate the feel after the ball was hit? Ping to me has always had a very solid almost comforting feel.. you know the ball was struck well when it was.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

How do these clubs feel.. I mean if you closed your eyes would you like, love or hate the feel after the ball was hit? Ping to me has always had a very solid almost comforting feel.. you know the ball was struck well when it was.. 

I would say they feel like the cast iron Ping feel. That’s not a bad thing, but it’s not the normal great Forged feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Atmos Blue 6S

Atmos Red 7S
 Atmos Blue 8S
Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite S
SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M - 62M

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)

Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)

Pro V1 / Z-Star

I could feel the difference between a hit and a miss easily enough,

but I could NEVER feel the difference between cast stainless steel and forged carbon steel.

Enough people talk about it that it must be real,

but I swear, I couldn't feel it.

If anything, I thought the forged felt more harsh, but that was only because the unforgiving design of many

forged irons meant that I felt more mis-hit vibration.

With graphite absorbing some of the shock, it's even harder to feel the difference from good hits and mediocre ones,

never mind forged or cast. 

To make things more complicated, cast carbon steel wedges are common now,

and some companies like the old Kenneth Smith made stainless forgings which I imagine was hard to do.

1 hour ago, NiftyNiblick said:

I could feel the difference between a hit and a miss easily enough,

but I could NEVER feel the difference between cast stainless steel and forged carbon steel.

Enough people talk about it that it must be real,

but I swear, I couldn't feel it.

If anything, I thought the forged felt more harsh, but that was only because the unforgiving design of many

forged irons meant that I felt more mis-hit vibration.

With graphite absorbing some of the shock, it's even harder to feel the difference from good hits and mediocre ones,

never mind forged or cast. 

To make things more complicated, cast carbon steel wedges are common now,

and some companies like the old Kenneth Smith made stainless forgings which I imagine was hard to do.

I'd say a lot of it comes down to the definition of "feel".
I would argue that if you can detach the sensation through your hands from everything else, then I'm with you that there is almost no difference between a completely clean hit with a forged or non-forged club (though in theory there is still some difference but it's miniscule to the extent you might feel it).
However, for a lot of people "feel" is the overall perception of impact and sound plays into the mental appreciation of the physical feedback. There is generally a very different sound between forged and non-forged clubs and that heavily plays towards what you distinguish in the feeling.

Self taught golfer trying hard to improve his game. Started playing early summer 2016.

Instagram @makingscratch : https://www.instagram.com/makingscratch/

Twitter @makingscratchUK : https://twitter.com/makingscratchuk

WITB:

• Driver : Ping G400 - Tour65 Stiff 44"
  • Fairway : Taylormade Burner 2.0 15deg - Reax-R
  • Hybrid : Taylormade M2 22deg - Flex-R
  • Irons : 4-6 Srixon Z765, 7-PW Srixon Z965 - Nippon Modus 105 S
  • Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15
    • 56deg Vokey SM5 F-Grind - Nippon ProModus 130 TX
    • 60deg Miura K-Grind - TT DG Spinner
  • Putter : Evnroll ER2
  • Ball : Vice Pro Plus

Proud owner of a slowly approaching complete archive of Titleist's blades circa 2000-2014 and a Wilson FatShaft CI10 blade putter in perfect condition (seriously, try Googling it and look at the state of the few that show up) which I bought when at college and just happens to look like it's stamped with my daughter's name, born 14 years after I bought it...

11 hours ago, Har in the Hat said:

interesting. I think the temperature variance will affect golf ball performance more than the club as the elastomers are more temperature variant than metal.

I think you are right that it is the golf ball the temperature is affecting, as I remember reading an article about temperature and distance some time ago. 

I guess I didn't make my point in a very clear way.  What I was trying to suggest is that on 85 degree day vs. a 55 degree day, that's a 30 degree difference and the ball was flying noticeably shorter.  I would not consider a 9 iron that goes one yardage on a warm day vs. another yardage on a day 30 degrees cooler as providing inconsistent distance control.  I just wanted to point that out, as I noticed a few comments where people were saying they hit the i500s on one day and then got a completely different results some other day.   On the other hand, if it's going one yardage one day and then, everything else being equal, going a different distance another day or at various points throughout the same round of golf, then that of course would be different. 

This comment has nothing to do with gaps between clubs, which I understand lots of people have had problems with.  Like I said in my earlier comment, I was really worried about the gaps when i bought my set based on the YouTubers of the world - I think both Shiels and Crossfield commented on the gapping, especially towards the bottom of the set.  This comment is just me thinking out loud about some of the different results with the same club from day to day when the temperature has been sort of all over the place.

1 hour ago, Jon Brittan said:

I'd say a lot of it comes down to the definition of "feel".
I would argue that if you can detach the sensation through your hands from everything else, then I'm with you that there is almost no difference between a completely clean hit with a forged or non-forged club (though in theory there is still some difference but it's miniscule to the extent you might feel it).
However, for a lot of people "feel" is the overall perception of impact and sound plays into the mental appreciation of the physical feedback. There is generally a very different sound between forged and non-forged clubs and that heavily plays towards what you distinguish in the feeling.

I completely agree with this.  The i500s have a nice solid "feel" on flushed shots and miss hits are noticeable.  I would say compared to other forged clubs they "feel" overall a bit harsher, but I cannot say if it is due to what I feel in my hands, the sound they make, or a combination of both.  Since these are hollow headed irons, there is a difference in sound.  The difference in sound is less noticeable outdoors but very noticeable hitting indoors or even under a covered outdoor driving range.  Not sure if that helps explain how the i500s "feel" overall, but those are my thoughts.

Had another lesson and even got out for 9 today. We talked about some of the gaps and  inconsistencies I was having with certain clubs of the set. Towards the end of the lesson i had a “ah ha” moment and realized my timing was way off. I was rushing my downswing. Once I started “waiting” for the club before starting the downswing I was hitting it much better. 

I was still worried about how little spin it seemed I was getting with the clubs and how they’d hold when hitting into greens. Especially the longer shots. What good is being able to hit a 6i almost 200 if I can hold a green. Well playing might have calmed those thoughts for now. I did hit the green twice from 185 and had 20ish foot long putts left

6D8850A6-15A2-4776-AD9C-347CB3B0061E.jpeg

54858D2F-ACF6-4FB4-B5CD-A525FD3B6A1A.jpeg

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Rob,

Any feedback from Ping about the reviews or do manufactures prefer not to comment?

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

Rob,
Any feedback from Ping about the reviews or do manufactures prefer not to comment?

They do read (at least I know PING does) them. But generally they are so busy with handling reviews for several dozen reviewers and doing their regular PING jobs, they don’t usually have time to offer much feed back.

But know they take it in and appreciate the efforts and info.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

ok.

thanks

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

Dexterity:

With how crazy life has been the past few months, I'm not just catching up on this thread. To all the reviewers, great job with your reviews. This is a set of irons that I"ve had my eye on, along with some others (and possibly more come new releases). Enjoyed reading your thoughts and look forward to hearing more in the future! Keep up the great work!

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

On 11/8/2018 at 8:35 PM, PAgolfer2017 said:

With how crazy life has been the past few months, I'm not just catching up on this thread. To all the reviewers, great job with your reviews. This is a set of irons that I"ve had my eye on, along with some others (and possibly more come new releases). Enjoyed reading your thoughts and look forward to hearing more in the future! Keep up the great work!

I'm glad you enjoyed the reviews. 

thanks for the kind words.

Dexterity:

Stage is up. Thanks again to Ping and MGS for this review opportunity!

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

2 hours ago, Mr_Theoo said:

Stage is up. Thanks again to Ping and MGS for this review opportunity!

Well done, Theoo! Can't wait to swing them the next time we are able to get together!

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

1 hour ago, MaxEntropy said:

Well done, Theoo! Can't wait to swing them the next time we are able to get together!

For sure! I had a practice session at GOLFTEC yesterday and at the end I just tried to see how far I could hit the 4i and I got one about as far as I was hitting that 3i when we played

Nice job STUD

Atmos Blue 6S

Atmos Red 7S
 Atmos Blue 8S

Pro V1 / Z-Star

Sounds like you like the gap wedge as much as I loved the 9i

I love this 

You give a group of guys a set of clubs, tell them to enjoy, and what happens....everyone walks a different road experiencing different joys along that path but we all end up meeting at a common spot or in this case... a common theme.

myself ... I was not impressed with the clubs with the exception of the 6i.  the wedge I did not like due to the fact that I could get  20 yard spread in distances and hence the lack of trust. need to combine with my set?

Then you have STUDque that just raves about the GW and the ability to perform a variety of shots, 

GC70 doesn't want to play them  

Kanoito struggled with toe hits so he's still in the figuring it out.

Mr. Theo enjoyed the 4i distance and trajectory but also needs more on course testing for an further evaluation.

So if i am not mistaken the common theme is that so far no one is enamoured  with the i500's saying "Wow, I'm playing these from now on" but still more testing is needed in order to complete the journey.

Dexterity:

Nice recap, Har.

One thing that might have helped me was if I got these in July, so I could really get better comparisons.
The PW is just no good for me. Maybe it needs the loft and lie checked out.
I feel bad for Ping and all the GolfSpys, that I really couldn’t test them out the way I wanted. I did play them enough to know that they won’t be in the starting lineup in 2019. I will definitely test them again against my gamers.

Atmos Blue 6S

Atmos Red 7S
 Atmos Blue 8S

Pro V1 / Z-Star

18 hours ago, Har in the Hat said:

I love this 

You give a group of guys a set of clubs, tell them to enjoy, and what happens....everyone walks a different road experiencing different joys along that path but we all end up meeting at a common spot or in this case... a common theme.

myself ... I was not impressed with the clubs with the exception of the 6i.  the wedge I did not like due to the fact that I could get  20 yard spread in distances and hence the lack of trust. need to combine with my set?

Then you have STUDque that just raves about the GW and the ability to perform a variety of shots, 

GC70 doesn't want to play them  

Kanoito struggled with toe hits so he's still in the figuring it out.

Mr. Theo enjoyed the 4i distance and trajectory but also needs more on course testing for an further evaluation.

So if i am not mistaken the common theme is that so far no one is enamoured  with the i500's saying "Wow, I'm playing these from now on" but still more testing is needed in order to complete the journey.

I was thinking the same thing Har, I just love the honesty of the reviews and I love that it shows just how different all of us are. One thing I think people should take from all of this is reading reviews is an excellent source of information about clubs but (and it's a Kardashian size but) you have to get out and try clubs before buying or dismissing them 😁😎

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

I really wouldn't mind trying a 4,5 iron in the i500 to see if I can get a bit extra distance out of those clubs. I still love the i210, but something with a few more yards could help with dispersion a bit.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

4 hours ago, Danbrook said:

I really wouldn't mind trying a 4,5 iron in the i500 to see if I can get a bit extra distance out of those clubs. I still love the i210, but something with a few more yards could help with dispersion a bit.

Do it, the 4i packs a punch! 

22 hours ago, Har in the Hat said:

I definitely enjoy the long irons. I do hope I get more comfortable thru the whole set. Might need to tweak lofts to find the right gaps but I do think ping is on the right path with the players distance iron. I think these blueprint irons Louie teased on IG might be that next step

The 3i has been my 5w replacement, but only off the tee. If I didn't have my SM7 wedge set, I probably would have tried the GW as well instead if the 3i.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

• 4 weeks later...
Yup. I'm definitely behind on the Stage 2. I lagged on purpose to ensure I didn't take attention away from the members posting theirs but now I'm a little further than that. In case you can't tell, I've been busy with forum stuff lately. In addition, my day job has really picked up as well so it's been a busy time haha. In the meantime, here's another update:

The i500s feel good but clearly don't feel as good as forged up and down the set. They have a clicky clacky sound in bag chatter but have a satisfying SMACK when hitting the ball. The smack is especially pronounced when you've got trees near to reflect the sound. It's loud in a thunderous type of way but not offensive at all. The subjective parts of the irons certainly don't affect me on course.  

They fit me well because I need less workability with my swing speed. It's easy to get it turning too far both ways. One thing I love about them is I'll never lose the ball left, right yes but never left so I can play a one way miss and that's resulting in more greens hit. Another thing I like about the i500s is it's much easier to hit partial shots. I really struggled making solid contact on anything less than full with my old irons. There's a chance, though, that that falls more on the better fit shaft than it does the heads.

The forgiveness is definitely there though because the distances are still good even on off-center contact. During these wet and sloshy rounds of late, I've been trying to pick the ball instead of digging in and have been hitting more balls thin than normal. Of course I'm losing height, but the distance and stopping power is still spot on. I don't know if I should feel good or bad about knocking one stiff with a skulled shot but I'll take that birdie chance either way. 

One fun thing about these irons is I'm starting to generate a ton of backspin when I really hit down on the ball. Just backspin..... Not side spin.......It's great. My typical on-green action now is a hop forward then ZIP backwards beyond the original pitch mark. Hell, I stopped a ball that landed on a downslope with a 7 iron. I couldn't believe that ball was still on the green. I could already do this with my wedges before but it's really interesting to start getting this reaction with irons. 

Hope to hammer out a formal stage 2 in early January. Until then, I'll keep testing 😊

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

As I have more and more practice and lessons I’m getting more comfortable with these irons. Looking forward to the winter practice grinding and the eventual season to help me play my best. 

21 hours ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:
Yup. I'm definitely behind on the Stage 2. I lagged on purpose to ensure I didn't take attention away from the members posting theirs but now I'm a little further than that. In case you can't tell, I've been busy with forum stuff lately. In addition, my day job has really picked up as well so it's been a busy time haha. In the meantime, here's another update:

The i500s feel good but clearly don't feel as good as forged up and down the set. They have a clicky clacky sound in bag chatter but have a satisfying SMACK when hitting the ball. The smack is especially pronounced when you've got trees near to reflect the sound. It's loud in a thunderous type of way but not offensive at all. The subjective parts of the irons certainly don't affect me on course.  

They fit me well because I need less workability with my swing speed. It's easy to get it turning too far both ways. One thing I love about them is I'll never lose the ball left, right yes but never left so I can play a one way miss and that's resulting in more greens hit. Another thing I like about the i500s is it's much easier to hit partial shots. I really struggled making solid contact on anything less than full with my old irons. There's a chance, though, that that falls more on the better fit shaft than it does the heads.

The forgiveness is definitely there though because the distances are still good even on off-center contact. During these wet and sloshy rounds of late, I've been trying to pick the ball instead of digging in and have been hitting more balls thin than normal. Of course I'm losing height, but the distance and stopping power is still spot on. I don't know if I should feel good or bad about knocking one stiff with a skulled shot but I'll take that birdie chance either way. 

One fun thing about these irons is I'm starting to generate a ton of backspin when I really hit down on the ball. Just backspin..... Not side spin.......It's great. My typical on-green action now is a hop forward then ZIP backwards beyond the original pitch mark. Hell, I stopped a ball that landed on a downslope with a 7 iron. I couldn't believe that ball was still on the green. I could already do this with my wedges before but it's really interesting to start getting this reaction with irons. 

Hope to hammer out a formal stage 2 in early January. Until then, I'll keep testing 😊

What is this back spin witchcraft you speak of!? Are you getting extra height from the irons as well?

Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

5 hours ago, Nunfa0 said:

What is this back spin witchcraft you speak of!? Are you getting extra height from the irons as well?

Yes. Definitely. I'd be surprised if anyone who demos these doesn't notice immediate height to the ball. Not everyone will see the same overall benefits I'm experiencing but the height should always be there. As long as I hit down on the ball, it's kissing a cloud before bringing a thunderous boom into the Earth upon re-entry. Miss hits still go about as high as my old irons did. 

The extra height doesn't seem to be affected in wind any more than it normally would be. A one-club wind is still a one-club wind I've just got a lot more height. I said this in another post but I've actually had issues a few times because I played for side wind only to have the ball slice through it and be barely affected. 

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

11 minutes ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

As long as I hit down on the ball, it's kissing a cloud before bringing a thunderous boom into the Earth upon re-entry.

Now that line paints a picture!! 😁😎

I had the same experience when I tried them, the ball just rockets away and cuts through the wind. I was very surprised because I thought nothing could go higher than my JPXs 😎